Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What is Deep Rock Galactic?
From the official website:
  • Deep Rock Galactic is a 4-player sci-fi co-op shooter taking place in procedurally generated and 100% destructible caves on an extremely hostile alien planet.
  • You play as a team of dwarven space miners, out to complete missions for your corporate overlords and to collect as much gold, gems, and other precious minerals as you possibly can before you're overrun.
  • To complete your tasks, you're equipped with a wide variety of severely hard-hitting weapons as well as a slew of hand gadgets. Set up turrets, call down supplies, build staircases up walls, or simply just drill your way to your objective - the choice is yours!
It has a lot of elements from Left 4 Dead (getting mobbed by gribblies, desperate escapes), Minecraft (fully destructible environments, lots of shiny things to gather via pickaxe) and a little bit of Dwarf Fortress (casual disregard for dwarven safety), all of which mix together in a way that’s greater than the sum of the parts. Every level being completely randomly generated makes every mission unique with payouts being based on what/how much you mine, adding a distinct risk/reward factor driven by the players themselves.

Basically it’s fun as hell and I’ve managed to sink 24 hours on it in two days, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Tell me more about DWARVES.
  • The Gunner is your typical heavy weapons guy who carries powerful ranged weapons and likes to shout while he kills things. He comes with a minigun, a revolver, a nifty Shield Generator, and a Zipline gun that can ferry dwarves around the level.
  • The Scout is an extremely nimble dwarf who excels at, well, scouting. He has an assault rifle, a double-barreled shotgun, a flare gun, and a Grappling Hook that makes him the most mobile character by a wide margin.
  • The Engineer is support-focused and brings along several handy gadgets. He’s equipped with an automatic shotgun, a grenade launcher, deployable turrets, and the Platform Gun that allows him to create terrain.
  • The Digger is last but not least, and is an interesting combination of heavy weapons and support. As his name implies, his primary weapon of choice is a pair of giant drills that can rip through terrain and enemies alike. He also brings along a flamethrower, a repeater, and satchel charges for when drills and fire don't get the point across.

Are there any DWARVEN ALLIES?
  • BOSCO is an all-purpose drone friend that follows you around on solo runs. He can shoot things, revive you if you get downed, and will mine ore for you if you ask him nicely. Thankfully, BOSCO is invulnerable, so you never have to worry about him.
  • Molly the M.U.L.E. is a minecart with legs that will follow you around and carry your ore for you. Similarly to BOSCO, Molly is invulnerable and only here to help.

What about ANTI-DWARVES?
  • Glyphids are giant spider gribblies that are mostly teeth and the primary enemy type. Glyphids come in a handful of different flavors, such as the Exploder or the Acid Spitter, but are mostly melee.
  • Mactera are airborne enemies that support Gyphid waves with things like ranged attacks or area denial slime bombs.
  • Cave Leeches are complete fuckers who live on cave ceilings. They'll paralyze you and chew on your skull until you die if you walk into one of their dangling tentacles.
  • Loot Bugs are harmless grubs who have managed to gorge themselves on Gold. You can kill them to retrieve their goodies, or you can give them a pat on the head if you're not a monster.

Inform me of DWARF ACTIVITIES.
There are already several different mission types available:
  • Mining Expedition sends your team through twisting caves to find veins of precious minerals.
  • Egg Hunt places your team in a series of large caverns that must be searched for deeply-buried alien Eggs.
  • Point Extraction drops a mining platform into the middle of cavern full of rare, valuable, and difficult to obtain ore.
  • Elimination brings you into a Glyphid hive to kill several of the most powerful enemies the game has to offer - the Glyphid Dreadnoughts.
Every level's terrain and bounty are randomly generated from top to bottom, including the Escape Pod's landing zone, so no two runs will be the same.

I have heard enough. Teach me HOW TO BECOME A DWARF.
Deep Rock Galactic is currently on Steam for $30. As of May 13, 2020, DRG has hit Version 1.0 and has more content than ever! gently caress yes!

Where can I find OTHER DWARVES?
Co-Op Goons Discord: https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk
Official DRG Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/drg
Goonintide (with a side of DRG) Discord: https://discord.gg/XeAaDY3

Kith fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

USEFUL THINGS FOR YOUR DEEP ROCK GALACTIC EXPERIENCE
  • This handy general guide:

[Direct Link]
  • KARL - A web application that allows you to preview weapon builds, Overclocks included.

Kith fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 7, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Polygon stream team visited this game and were my introduction to it. It looks like fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewoD0b2KttU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
This game is really fun, the way all the different classes gear interacts with eachother to solve problems is super satisfying. No matter what class I play as I feel genuinely useful to the team, though I do wish there was more gear or just options with the upgrades instead of straight paths of numbers going up, but hopefully that'll come in the future.

Tho the most recent update has sadly made the crystalline caverns unplayable for me, those new electro crystals do not agree with my computer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just bought this game and im gonna try it

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think this game needs more love.

Two friends and I recently got into this and we've been greatly enjoying ourselves. The classes seem to fit the way we play games really well and while I've done some easy solo for some relaxing downtime there's nothing like that Left 4 Dead style frenetic gunplay during swarm events with 2 other people, racing to keep each other up and trying to get enough nitra to keep supplied.

While it is Early Access so far we haven't come across any major bugs. There is an upgrade system but they seem kind of small right now and don't really change how you'll be playing so I do hope for some more varied content coming in the future.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They need to put more into the game.

I like it, i really do, but the current iteration of the game has so little to do once you've done the missions a few times. I got my moneys worth but i just want more.

E: Also i'd really like to not be half forced into playing gunner if its just me and one other person playing. Those ziplines are borderline required sometimes.

E: "While it is Early Access so far we haven't come across any major bugs. There is an upgrade system but they seem kind of small right now and don't really change how you'll be playing so I do hope for some more varied content coming in the future"

Not seen a dreadnought yet? :v:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just find the mining part and finding the ore super tedious and boring.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DRG just got a big-rear end update.

Highlights:
  • Terrain Generation Overhaul There's a much wider variety of cave structures that can be made by the level generator, giving gameplay more depth.
  • Graphical Update Updated textures and lighting makes DRG run more smoothly (at least on my machine) and generally look better.
  • Salvage Operation A new mission where you attempt to salvage a failed expedition's equipment and resources. Repair their Mini-Mules and then find and repair their Drop Pod to escape. Very King Of The Hill style gameplay and perfect for Engineers.
  • Mactera Grabber A new flying enemy that grabs you and then flies around in circles. Thankfully, unlike Cave Leeches, the grab does not deal damage and is not lethal on its own, but Grabbers are FAR more common than Cave Leeches and incredibly mobile.
  • Performance Trackers Stuff like "how many missions have you been on with X class", "how much of X material have you mined", so on and so forth.
  • Perks Minor passive bonuses that you can purchase and equip to any class, such as increased Sprint Speed or reduced Fall Damage. Perk Points can be earned by hitting milestones (hit Level 5 with X class, collect X amount of Y Secondary Objective Material, ect).
  • Vanity Overhaul Beards have been upgraded with physics and split into three different components: Sideburns, Mustache, and Beard, all of which can be mixed and matched at your leisure. You can also customize eyebrows, more hats have been added, and more skintones have been made available. Many more options are to be added soon to expand the system. Hair color and armor colors are out, but will likely be back in soon.
  • New Environmental Hazards The Sandblasted Corridors can experience dust storms and wind tunnels and the Magma Core can have exposed magma instead of normal flooring. Word to the wise: do not do a Salvage Operation in the Magma Core. It's not worth it.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

This game is cool and good, but holy poo poo gently caress pubbies, conga lining into barnacles, I've had more luck with the solo help bot.

Is there a discord up anywhere for this?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pound_Coin posted:

This game is cool and good, but holy poo poo gently caress pubbies, conga lining into barnacles, I've had more luck with the solo help bot.

That and no one loving talks. Why the gently caress is it in co-op team shooters, no one thinks communication is necessary?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pound_Coin posted:

There's an official one: https://discordapp.com/invite/drg

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

This game is a bunch of fun with friends. Pro tip: play at least difficulty level 3, if not 4. The game will get stale quickly without a challenge. The game could use more to do (and the devs are putting a lot it) but you’ll get your money’s worth.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I tried one game with pubbies.

I am never again playing with pubbies. They just gently caress off to the four corners of the map and then get pissy when me and my friend are going by and clearing tunnels together.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Finally picked this game up after the big rear end update that was linked earlier. Have had a complete blast and can't wait for more updates. There is variety in the locations and what you encounter there, but things get more limited in other categories. Enemies is a huge one, but is helped by swarm type gameplay, IMO.

There are weapon and item upgrades which has kept me playing for a bit. You can also spend resources on how your characters look, which can add more reply time if you think it's worth it. The developers have written that about 30% of content is in, so I'm holding off on unlocking a lot of what is already available.

Have mostly been impressed with the public players I've teamed with. Nearly all games have people using voice chat and actually being helpful through it. Get the impression that people are just playing to relax rather than trying to grind.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My experience with pubbies is that i'll drop in, they'll spread out as far as humanly possible, then get pissy when you don't help them.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Devs are back from vacation and have posted their roadmap for future updates:

I'm pretty hype about new weapons and whatever "character retirement" means.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is there inter-character banter?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game is a cool game. A bunch of people in our goon vermintide discord bought it and we've all basically stopped playing vermintide for stuff like this instead, so hop in if you want people to play DRG with.

https://discord.gg/XeAaDY3

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Winter has come.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The game's on sale for $17 through the 17th, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up now or wait. I don't recall it going cheaper in the past, but do you guys think it's liable to drop further any time soon? Get pricier soon? Is there a decent group of people playing?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

neogeo0823 posted:

The game's on sale for $17 through the 17th, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up now or wait. I don't recall it going cheaper in the past, but do you guys think it's liable to drop further any time soon? Get pricier soon? Is there a decent group of people playing?

I bought it, so far its a blast! In my region (AU/Oceanic) there are not many people playing, but it is still playable with a little lag. I doubt it will get much cheaper except maybe at christmas sale time.

If you lose connection to a host or the host leaves the mission automatically fails (for you, at least) without warning and you get 1/4 of the normal reward, that's been the only downside so far.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
This game is one of the smoothest early access games I've bought. No crashes, no game breaking bugs. One time the game spawned me under the map below the drop pod at the very beginning and a grabber spawned to pull me up and out of the abyss. :allears:

Most of my 50 hours has been with pubbies. Pointing something out with the laser is enough to elicit an unspoken platform/zipline/scout most of the time. In any other PvE game that would be considered a small miracle.

In DRG it happens all the time because goddamn the RNG can produce some high verticality maps. The way you can dig or drill your way past any obstacle given time makes the game very chill. Drillers are probably the least played but the new ice strata has changed that.

That doesn't mean there aren't unchill jerk though. I've met a few who grief by digging somewhere and mashing the MULE button to freeze it into place or shoot you point blank with the sawn off because you "stole" their minerals. Pubbie scouts are generally the worst.

One trick you might see when people don't want to bother with a complexity 3 map or are being overwhelmed in hazard 4 is to dig a hole, recall the MULE, plug the hole with platforms and call the drop pod. It places the drop pod on top of the MULE.

Matchmaking and the server browser have been squiffy for a few weeks same exact length of time as Monster Hunter World but other than that, the game is good enough I'm willing to overlook some lag to play with people in the UK or US.

Bogart posted:

Is there inter-character banter?

There's audio barks but no conversations. The VO is honestly low budget but it's benign. If they add modding, the problem will solve itself if there's a macho man or Danny DeVito soundpack.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 7, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game is good

https://i.imgur.com/o7tHJYs.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Another big-rear end update has rolled out, the first one that has motivated me to update the first post. Highlights include:
  • Probationary Periods, making the game easier to get into for new players via semi-tutorial missions.
  • Retirement, aka putting your Level 20 Dwarves out to pasture so you can get fresh ones. Doing so trades all of the upgrades you have for a special Retirement-only Perk Slot.
  • Egg Hunt got several updates, now functioning off of the Search & Extract framework rather than Cave Exploration. Also Search & Extract is no longer around.
  • Beers from the Abyss Bar now grant buffs instead of just loving you up, so now you can get drunk and have things like extra health, 50% extra melee damage (!!!), and various other effects.
  • New armors have been added for those of you who like dressing up your Dwarves.

Kith fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 11, 2018

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Drunk buffs and an extra perk slot is exactly what I wanted. :allears:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm hype about Retirement. I haven't really been playing DRG very much because I've maxed out my two favorites (Gunner and Digger), so being able to reset them and get something substantial out of it is good stuff.

The new armors are cool too and a massive step up from the originals in terms of detail.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The new gunner armor is practically a mech warrior.

Spotted my first DRG cheater:

Gold armour without a supporter badge, pickaxed faster than a drill, no matter what game it is, there's going to be a cheater on SEA/JP/CN servers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Delacroix posted:

Spotted my first DRG cheater:

I ran into a cheater once, was pretty obvious when everyone had infinite HP and ammo. Also explained why a level 4 was hosting a hazard 4 mission.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The new material eggs are hidden in are gross.

The algorithm for eggstraction has changed a lot, a lvl 1 complexity hazard 3 mission took less than six minutes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So did eggs just replace aquarq and become the new search and extract style mission? It would be weird if they ripped out search and extract completely without replacing it with anything but I wouldn't be too upset to see it go, it was ridiculous compared to anything else

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Digirat posted:

So did eggs just replace aquarq and become the new search and extract style mission? It would be weird if they ripped out search and extract completely without replacing it with anything but I wouldn't be too upset to see it go, it was ridiculous compared to anything else

Wasn't search and extract essentially the same format as mining excavation? I know aquarq is usually point extraction with the minehead platform but I don't remember if it showed up in other mission types.

You can piggyback off other people's retirement assignment if you're doing the same class. I got to 4/5 from a random pub host for gunner as driller.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 12, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
New egg hunt might be buggy. Just had a round end in abort after the last egg straight up didn't spawn, map had no dots indicating where the egg was and the cave was well and truly explored after 40 minutes of wandering around by four people.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I want escort missions. It would be fun to escort a vulnerable mule to an alternate extraction point.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I want escort missions. It would be fun to escort a vulnerable mule to an alternate extraction point.

You know that's only going to end with the mule going vertically up the wall in a mega-cave and dying to a exploder wave before you can catch up, right?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

isndl posted:

You know that's only going to end with the mule going vertically up the wall in a mega-cave and dying to a exploder wave before you can catch up, right?

Compared to where it was on release, their pathfinding algos have way improved. I don't think it will be a problem. Plus you can just make the Mule repairable.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Digirat posted:

Search and Extract was basically just a less linear Mining Expedition, so I'm not sad to see it get repurposed as the basis for the new Egg Hunt. Point Extraction (the one with the Aquarq and the Minehead) is still around.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Give me a defence mission. 4 AI dwarves with turrets (that initially start loaded) vs huge waves of bugs, gotta keep them alive until extract can get there.

Make you have to find them first so it "fits" with the rest of the game.

If they die you can still "succeed" by getting out with the corpses but everyone carrying a corpse isn't shooting.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Today I discovered that if you gain enough health during iron will, you won't go down when it runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Delacroix posted:

Today I discovered that if you gain enough health during iron will, you won't go down when it runs out.

I'd been wondering about this but pretty much never go down next to Blood Sugar to test it. Or are you using the vampirism perk to regen HP via melee kills?