Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
orders are final!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf8w1bankgkszmx/LP%20Battle%201%20At10.bts?dl=0

48 hours for turns!

Rule Update.
commanders may declare the following at any point in the game.

Ceasefire. The other side will be notified that you are wishing to end the fighting for now. If both sides agree, the next battle will be fought on the same map, but with reinforcements and deployment zones based off ground held.
Retreat Immediately break contact and end the battle. the enemy will advance to your next map, and become the attacker.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

HQ
Settle down behind this hedge for the moment

Other
Take this squad on the right:

MOVE to the hedge, then

QUICK to the house. Half the squad upstairs, half downstairs.

Best picture of the house i could find:

No change to other units.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Man, it would have been one thing if the Hellcat had at least seen who was shooting at it, but this really hurts. I don't know if I just badly overestimated their spotting capabilities or if the Germans brought tanks with higher veterancy, but... urgh, this sucks.

Well, nothing to do but keep moving. Big thing right now is withdrawing the M36 before it gets murdered by the KT. I'll look at the terrain later and see if there's an optimal route to try and withdraw along to bring it back to our lines. Gnoman or Comstar, any preferences on where to bring it to?

Also, Habeas, feel free to take over one of the Shermans so you can still command something with treads.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Depends on what the plan is. We took our objective. They took theirs. If we're going defence, I should probably stay put and wait to come out of HIDEing when they commit. If we're attacking, I should come to the rest of the Battalion and support the rest of our armour.

Oh poo poo, I just watched the video. I'm enganged with a King Tiger frontal attack. I need to pop smoke and reverse!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 29, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Baker Company has the Joshua Tree objective, though final positions haven't been reached by 4th, yet. 3rd is in shape to push toward Sequoia if we want to do that, but it will take at least a turn and maybe more to get lined up to make a jog into it with a decent spread where they aren't just massed in a clump.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man, it would have been one thing if the Hellcat had at least seen who was shooting at it, but this really hurts. I don't know if I just badly overestimated their spotting capabilities or if the Germans brought tanks with higher veterancy, but... urgh, this sucks.

Well, nothing to do but keep moving. Big thing right now is withdrawing the M36 before it gets murdered by the KT. I'll look at the terrain later and see if there's an optimal route to try and withdraw along to bring it back to our lines. Gnoman or Comstar, any preferences on where to bring it to?

Also, Habeas, feel free to take over one of the Shermans so you can still command something with treads.

WOO! Transferring command. Thanks, Cap.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
The German northern left hook throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things. They're sprinting at least two platoons of infantry (and possibly an entire company) across Death Valley. They have a large number of tanks (2 King Tigers, ~5-10 Panthers, a Brummbar) and appx. a company of halftracks with mounted infantry perfect for reinforcing this push.

If their effort succeeds, they can take Acadia, storm Vicksburg, and assault Cobru from three sides.

To prevent this - we need to do three things:

1) Punish the Germans - move the Shermans (Acebuckeye13), Able Company (gradenko_2000), and the Machinegun Platoon (Mantis42) into Northern Cobru to throw enfilading fire into the Germans crossing Death Valley.
2) Access Denial - use artillery and mortars hitting Death Valley and Acadia to prevent the Germans from getting a foothold there.
3) Containment - move the Straggler Group (Top Hats Monthly) into Vicksburg and elements of Able Company (gradenko_2000) into NW Cobru to prevent any German who get into Acadia from breaking out.

Here's a battalion-level maneuver plan that accomplishes this. Gnoman, what do you think?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TERRAIN
*Feel free to use these screenshots when you are making your orders - if you do not have time or PC access to make a map, please let me know and I will make sure one gets made for you.*

An overview of the terrain around Cobru:

1. (clockwise from bottom) Cobru, Sequoia, Noville, Acadia.

2. A closer look at Cobru.

3. Northern Cobru (with trees) looking North

4. Northern Cobru (without trees) looking North

5. Northern Cobru (with trees) looking South

6. Northern Cobru (without trees) looking South

Now for a look at the positions in Northern Cobru which Able Company (gradenko_2000)), the tanks (Acebuckeye13), and the Machinegun Platoon (Mantis42) will need to take to punish the Germans crossing Death Valley. Going from east to west.

Be VERY CAREFUL when moving to the low hedges northwest of Cobru - Germans can fire down this road. They just tired to shoot up the FO jeep!

Looking due north down the eastern street of Cobru. Acebuckeye13, habeasdorkus, and boxofaids we should get the eastern Sherman and one of the M8s firing down the road ASAP. It's a great position and gives us lots of maneuver chances. And we can put the buildings on the right side of our vehicles to protect them from flank shots.

Low level on the NE side of Cobru

Low level on the N side of Cobru

Low level on the NW side of Cobru

Now looking at the Vicksburg area that the Straggler Group (TopHatsMonthly) will need to secure.

Overview of Vicksburg

Large two-story barracks in Vicksburg

Vicksburg cottages

Vicksburg field

Vicksburg forest

UNIT CLICKTHROUGH

Machinegun Platoon (Mantis42) - Most of your guys are in one house with terrible vision of the area.

HQ Team, Able Company (grandenko_2000) - way out in the sticks, out of contact with the rest of the company.

2nd Platoon, Able Company

3rd Platoon, Able Company

4th Platoon, Able Company

3rd Section, Straggler Group

Straggler Group

Baker Company

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Able Company, 3rd Platoon

Enter the buildings marked in dark blue. Deploy MGs once they're bunkered in the buildings.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 30, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I won't be able to look at anything for anothe 4 hours or so, because I am at work.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Grey Hunter posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf8w1bankgkszmx/LP%20Battle%201%20At10.bts?dl=0

48 hours for turns!

Rule Update.

Ceasefire. The other side will be notified that you are wishing to end the fighting for now. If both sides agree, the next battle will be fought on the same map, but with reinforcements and deployment zones based off ground held.
Retreat Immediately break contact and end the battle. the enemy will advance to your next map, and become the attacker.

You sure know how to end them!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Bacarruda posted:

The German northern left hook throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things. They're sprinting at least two platoons of infantry (and possibly an entire company) across Death Valley. They have a large number of tanks (2 King Tigers, ~5-10 Panthers, a Brummbar) and appx. a company of halftracks with mounted infantry perfect for reinforcing this push.

If their effort succeeds, they can take Acadia, storm Vicksburg, and assault Cobru from three sides.

To prevent this - we need to do three things:

1) Punish the Germans - move the Shermans (Acebuckeye13), Able Company (gradenko_2000), and the Machinegun Platoon (Mantis42) into Northern Cobru to throw enfilading fire into the Germans crossing Death Valley.
2) Access Denial - use artillery and mortars hitting Death Valley and Acadia to prevent the Germans from getting a foothold there.
3) Containment - move the Straggler Group (Top Hats Monthly) into Vicksburg and elements of Able Company (gradenko_2000) into NW Cobru to prevent any German who get into Acadia from breaking out.

Here's a battalion-level maneuver plan that accomplishes this. Gnoman, what do you think?

So one thing to keep in mind is that we should avoid having a "win or die" mindset here, especially based on what Grey has said:

Grey Hunter posted:

Rule Update.

and from the first page:

Grey Hunter posted:

5 - Your reinforcements will be coming, if you can hold or push back the enemy, we will be able to harden up your unit and begin to supply better units, failure to hold will mean you will have to make do with more straggler units.
6 - Bogged and abandoned units will only be reclaimed if you hold the field.

Grey Hunter posted:

I feel I should tell you that you will be up against it a bit here, your starting rules are harsher than the Germans, but they will get poorer quailty reinforcements, so you will see a shift after this battle.

So if you feel like things are stacked against you, they are, but know every valuable machine you destroy here will probibly never be seen again!

I feel like our primary objective should be to force the Germans into a ceasefire -- that would be a huge victory for us. Barring that, we should attempt to do as much damage to the german armored force as possible while still preserving our forces for an eventual retreat in a fighting withdrawal action. To me this means ambushes and "hit and run" tactic rather than trying to hold any particular piece of ground.

The important thing in my mind is that there is going to be another map, and losses (ours and theirs) will affect what's available.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As a quick note, I'll be leaving on Thursday night or Friday morning to hike into the canyon, and will be hiking back up Saturday night. For the time I'm gone, I'll be giving habeasdorkus provisional command of the armored company, unless he'll also be busy or unless anyone else wants it more.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hubis posted:

So one thing to keep in mind is that we should avoid having a "win or die" mindset here, especially based on what Grey has said:

I feel like our primary objective should be to force the Germans into a ceasefire -- that would be a huge victory for us. Barring that, we should attempt to do as much damage to the german armored force as possible while still preserving our forces for an eventual retreat in a fighting withdrawal action. To me this means ambushes and "hit and run" tactic rather than trying to hold any particular piece of ground.

The important thing in my mind is that there is going to be another map, and losses (ours and theirs) will affect what's available.

Where to we withdraw to? There's nothing but open ground south of us, open geound the Germans can see if they take Acadia or Cobru.

Do our infantry have the mobility or firepower to hit or run from halftracks and tanks?

We hold good terrain now. Sure, we can try a defense in depth by using the houses in Cobru and Sequoia and Joshua Tree. But running is not an option.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As a quick note, I'll be leaving on Thursday night or Friday morning to hike into the canyon, and will be hiking back up Saturday night. For the time I'm gone, I'll be giving habeasdorkus provisional command of the armored company, unless he'll also be busy or unless anyone else wants it more.

I'll be gone this weekend visiting friends, so I won't be able to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Got it. Comstar, boxofaids, please fight amongst yourselves so I can determine who deserves it more.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Bacarruda posted:

Where to we withdraw to? There's nothing but open ground south of us, open geound the Germans can see if they take Acadia or Cobru.

Do our infantry have the mobility or firepower to hit or run from halftracks and tanks?

We hold good terrain now. Sure, we can try a defense in depth by using the houses in Cobru and Sequoia and Joshua Tree. But running is not an option.

No, I believe we literally just say "we retreat" in the thread and Grey Hunter starts a new map with reinforcements. Our reinforcements get better if we hold (and we can recover immobilized vehicles!) or are more stragglers if we retreat, but the Germans don't replace lost vehicles from their pool no matter what (though their pool might include more stuff not on the map).

This is not to question anything you suggested, btw -- I think you presented a good situational overview/plan; my point was more that we should also keep in mind the multi-mission campaign as well. If the Germans force us to retreat but it costs them a ton of vehicles to do so that may effectively be a win.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ORDERS (Will update as needed)

Armor:

Remaining Hellcat is to stay hidden.

Shooting Sherman is to keep shooting.

Not-shooting Sherman is to reposition as directed by lower-level commanders.

M36 is to fire for one turn, then break LOS.

Infantry

Follow the plan issued by Barracuda.

Artillery

Harass the enemy.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Infantry
Follow the plan issued by Barracuda.

We have three objectives: 1) Hold Cobru, 2) Prevent the Germans from flanking us and taking the high ground of the Acadia Forest, 3) Take pressure off Cobru by taking the fight to the Germans.

We will do this by doing four things:

1) Punish the Germans by hammering the infantry crossing Death Valley. ABLE COMPANY (gradenko_2000) should move 1-2 platoons and as many MMGs and 60mm mortars as possible to Northern Cobru. Able Company HQ is also in a field SW of Cobru, moving them closer to your men will improve morale and make them respond to orders faster.

The MACHINEGUN PLATOON (Mantis42) should also move 2-4 MMGs and its HQ to get LOS on Death Valley.

2) Containment by surrounding Acadia to prevent a German breakout. The STRAGGLER GROUP (Top Hats Monthly) should secure Vicksburg and the western suburbs of Cobru.

*See the LOS screenshots are posted earlier to help you get a better idea of the ground you can occupy*.

3) Access Denial using called-in 81mm mortars and 105mm artillery and direct fire from 60mm mortars to kill Germans and prevent them from getting a foothold in Acadia.

4) Advance to take pressure off Cobru. As soon as feasible, BAKER COMPANY (glynnstein) should probe and secure Sequoia with 1-2 platoons. If you need mortar fire support, ask and you'll get it quickly, since there are three TRPs in the area.

Gnoman posted:

Artillery
Harass the enemy.

My FO team and Company HQ are currently busy spotting the fire missions I ordered last turn. They should be able to call in a Death Valley Fire and Acadia fire mission - which will splash on Turn 17 at the earliest.

gradenko_2000, you can also help by moving some of your Platoon HQs move to Northern Cobru to get LOS on Acadia and Death Valley. They can help act as artillery spotters.

As soon as possible, I'll have artillery fire hitting Death Valley and the Acadia forest to harass and interdict the Germans.

Gnoman posted:

Armor:
Remaining Hellcat is to stay hidden.

Shooting Sherman is to keep shooting.

Not-shooting Sherman is to reposition as directed by lower-level commanders.

M36 is to fire for one turn, then break LOS.

Acebuckeye13 and boxofaids, you can really help the infantry by moving one of the M8s moved to face north.

Take a look at the LOS screenshots I posted and see if there are any positions that look good to you. The eastern street in Cobru seems like the easiest place to move.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll be gone this weekend visiting friends, so I won't be able to.
German's a re lucky cause three of us tankers are all on vacay this weekend. Silly long weekends.

At least I will have my laptop, wifi, and Quebecquois booze.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Hold Shoot any german that moves.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Baker Company Orders

2nd Platoon: Continue Orders.

3rd Platoon: The attack on Sequoia is go. Take a turn or two to position your men near the northern edge of Joshua Tree in preparation for an attack into Sequoia and allow 4th Platoon time to reach their currently ordered positions to support you. Your objective is to seize control of Sequoia. We don't know of any enemy within the forest now, but contact is more like as we advance. Use caution at the edges of the woods in case the enemy has fire support available, but we do want to eventually have spotting from the forest.

4th Platoon: Continue Orders.

:siren:
Baker Company HQ and XO teams: Please set MOVE orders to the destinations marked on this map. HQ to the green dot, XO to the light blue.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pretty straightforward orders this turn. Our main priority is to get ready for the German assault on Cobru, and to place forces in optimal areas to wipe out German infantry while forcing German armor to come in close to get shots on our own vehicles.

boxofaids, I want you to move one of your M8 scout cars to help cover the northeastern approach to Cobru. The terrain there is pretty rough, and doesn't offer much good spotting, but it's worth having a spare gun to help cover the most likely German approach. I've provided the following terrain pictures to give you a better idea where a good spot might be, and if you want anything more detailed or would like advice, feel free to ask.

habeasdorkus, you are now in command of M4A3E8(76)W 'CASCABELA QUEEN'. Treat her well, and stay put for now.

bunnyofdoom, as discused, consider your remaining M18 Hellcat to be in reserve and on overwatch. It's in a good position for now, no need to get greedy.

Comstar, it's a minor miracle that the KT hasn't swung around to shoot at you yet. If you want, feel free to stay in that position for no longer than one turn to send a few more potshots at the KT before hauling rear end back to our lines, as Grand Canyon Highway is now untenable. The position you posted the previous turn near the scout car is fine for now, but feel free to inquire about other places you could potentially plant your big gun. Be sure to ask though, since the terrain around that area is more than a little screwy in ways that aren't apparent from the top-down map.

e: I have realized the pictures I provided are not high-res enough to provide the assistance I had hoped they would. I will address this tomorrow. Maybe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

M4A3E8(76)W 'COPPERHEAD PRINCE' will MOVE north along the road to the edge of the crossroads, where the tank will stop where its right flank will be covered by the barn.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

ORDERS FOR ARTILLERY & FORWARD OBSERVERS
Cancel the 105mm VT barrage. Otherwise, all FO and fire missions continue as ordered.

ORDERS FOR HEADQUARTERS COMPANY
Company HQ
Hold position.

Machinegun Platoon (Mantis42)
Get your Platoon HQ and the two HMGs you have in town into Northern Cobru, deploy them, and get a good field of fire over Cobru.

Don't hide, I want you fangs out and ready to fight. I want you to make Death Valley live up to its name. You have lots of positions to choose from below. I don't care which ones you pick so long as you kill a shitload Germans for me.

Overview

Northern Cobru (with trees) looking North

Northern Cobru (with trees) looking South

Specific Positions

Looking due north down the eastern street of Cobru.

Low level on the NE side of Cobru

Low level on the N side of Cobru

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 30, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

2nd Platoon

Occupy the zone marked in red

3rd Platoon

Occupy the zone marked in blue.

Use your discretion if you'll decide to occupy the zone marked in teal. Particularly, crossing the street might be hazardous.

4th Platoon

Occupy the zone marked in green.

As with 3rd Platoon, crossing the street might be hazardous.

Able Company HQ

Please issue a MOVE order directly towards the house marked in yellow.

Commander's Intent

* I am trying to shift a dispositions to be a little more north-facing, as we are expecting an attack directly from a north, possibly with a flanking movement to the north-west

* That said, 4th Platoon is still facing somewhat eastwards because of the nature of the terrain and the room we have to operate in

* Do not feel obliged to put everyone inside houses, if there's good defensible terrain on the outside.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MOVE from current position to the northeast and prepare for the upcoming assault. Final position of squads is shown on the map.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Mobile M36 Platoon

POP SMOKE and BACKUP a short distance (about 2 tanks length, green line). Then turn NW and go FAST (orange line) down the orange line. OPEN UP and MOVE on the blue line and face the black line.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 31, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
More of an adjustment than a change in orders. Top Hats Monthly, if you want me to do something totally different, go ahead and let me know.

2nd Straggler Platoon "Stockton"

2nd Stragglers should continue their QUICK towards the houses already designated:

Pirate Radar posted:

The order is 1, 2, 4, 3 in the circled houses, with the HQ in the house with a square around it on the lower right corner of the X

When the squads reach the houses, they should split, half upstairs half downstairs.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I will have my orders in in a few hours, going to continue with a minor adjustment.

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

Move FAST my western M8 back onto the road, then head North to the designated point, with the buildings to its East. Preferably aligned so that the front of the M8 is a few feet short of being parallel to the north side building (trying not to stick out or be visible from the road to the Northeast).

Eastern M8 no change in orders (just hanging out watching that forest).

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Platoon elements advance towards Vicksburg/Western edge of Cobru. Move safely and avoid casualties, if possible. Follow directions as per XO Baccaruda's orders, and take cover in buildings if artillery starts to fall.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Baker Company, 2nd Platoon

Movin' On Up!

[Grey Hunter: please *cancel* all orders -- I think 3rd squad is stuck on a wait that should have been finished already but is irrelevant now anyways]

1st Squad: MOVE out of the woods and across the stream, then QUICK across the road. Proceed to MOVE through the woods to the edge as indicated.
2nd Squad: MOVE to the edge of the woods in advance of 1st Squad's previous position
3rd Squad: Proceed QUICK to the woods to the north, then MOVE at a deliberate pace to final location
4th Squad, A Team: QUICK to the other side of the road, then MOVE to the edge of the woods where you should have a vantage down the eastern side of Sequoia. FACE northeast and DEPLOY at the destination.
4th Squad, B Team: MOVE forward to the edge of the woods, FACE north and DEPLOY.
5th Squad: MOVE to the far side of the stream, then QUICK across the road, and then MOVE through the forest to the clearing behind 1st Squad.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders are final!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73i0rutvkbx5jkl/LP%20Battle%20AT12.bts?dl=0

48 hours for turns!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

There is something wrong with our bloody tanks today.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We need to pull the Sherman back. Maybe the northern hellcat can get a flank shot, or wait till they commit?

I need a place to put my M36 for a ambush on their armour coming towards us.

I'm hoping the tank crewman down south can keep an eye on that King Tiger too.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Message from German Command:
Grey or an observer please send these to the allies; they seem to be more their speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Comstar posted:

We need to pull the Sherman back. Maybe the northern hellcat can get a flank shot, or wait till they commit?

I need a place to put my M36 for a ambush on their armour coming towards us.

I'm hoping the tank crewman down south can keep an eye on that King Tiger too.

The bailed out dudes don't have a radio, right?