Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

tsob posted:

Please tell me Macrophage is holding a frying pan covered in blood and it's not just a badly drawn machete. I don't remember that particular moment from the episode, but I so want it to be a frying pan and it fits Macrophage's irreverence.

They'd been cooking germs when RBC called them over, so yeah it's probably a frying pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the erythroblast school was perhaps too cute to exist

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not sure why the show is choosing to make cancer cells sympathetic, but here we are.

Also I kinda wish they had gone all out on animating cancer cell as a horrifying Akira flesh monster, but I didn't really mind that they kinda skimped all that much.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

the erythroblast school was perhaps too cute to exist

They're still not nearly as cute as platelets, though.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

chumbler posted:

Not sure why the show is choosing to make cancer cells sympathetic, but here we are.

Also I kinda wish they had gone all out on animating cancer cell as a horrifying Akira flesh monster, but I didn't really mind that they kinda skimped all that much.

It does make a certain degree of sense from a cell's perspective, but the immune cells do remain resolutely on the side of "I wish I could help you, but I can't, so you *must* die." Sympathetic, but not tolerable all the same.

Plus, seeming like any other cell is its first and foremost defense. It's often called insidious for that reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought making the cancerous cells sympathetic made a reasonable amount of sense. Like, the cells that make up, say, a bone tumor or whatever are perfectly good bone cells, right? The only thing they're doing differently from a healthy cell is dividing out of control, right?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cancer cells are good, just as John McCain's brain tumor!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought making the cancerous cells sympathetic made a reasonable amount of sense. Like, the cells that make up, say, a bone tumor or whatever are perfectly good bone cells, right? The only thing they're doing differently from a healthy cell is dividing out of control, right?

Depends. Generally, the more mutations they accrue and the more they spread outside their original tissue, the less they resemble the cell line they originally came from. Cancers that come from tissues that can secrete hormones will also sometimes just secrete hormones all the time in an uncontrolled fashion, which can cause various metabolic problems; if you ever saw an episode of House and remember them bringing up "paraneoplastic syndrome" as one of the stock red-herring diagnoses, that's what that is.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Spiritus Nox posted:

They can't do their job well at all. Leukemia is one of the best examples.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
The moral is anyone born outside of government cloning factories must be killed immediately for the greater good, as they are inherently violently antisocial. A show with this setup in pretty much any other context probably wouldn't take that side, you know?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Having mutants that proliferate without control is kind of a serious problem. Even assuming they perform correctly, you don't like, want that much bone, it's called heterotopic ossification. It's not cancer but fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva is usually considered pretty top tier as horrifying bodily problems go.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Amuys posted:

They can't do their job well at all. Leukemia is one of the best examples.

They're doing their job fine. They're just doing it to the wrong cells.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Syritta posted:

The moral is anyone born outside of government cloning factories must be killed immediately for the greater good, as they are inherently violently antisocial. A show with this setup in pretty much any other context probably wouldn't take that side, you know?

Maybe they could've ended up as a benign growth.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
not if they're metastasizing

Would a benign tumor be like, another Akira guy, but just chill?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spin-off with Natural Killer Cell when.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I think this showed how anthropomorphizing cells almost inevitably goes kind of uncomfortable places. If you imagine the body as a society, it'll pretty much have to be one that's utterly totalitarian. I notice the show managed to go through an episode and a half about cancer without really touching on the related subject of programmed cell death. A lot of this stems from the fact that the body is more like a very complex machine, and its processes are just automatically carried out by things with no ability to make decisions or think.

The next episode deals with the circulatory system, which seems weirdly placed. If our protagonist is a red blood cell, that probably should have been the very first episode. It would also be a bit strange to show normal, problem-free body function after 7 episodes of a monster-of-the-week format, but I don't know what's going to happen in it yet.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Alpha3KV posted:

The next episode deals with the circulatory system, which seems weirdly placed. If our protagonist is a red blood cell, that probably should have been the very first episode. It would also be a bit strange to show normal, problem-free body function after 7 episodes of a monster-of-the-week format, but I don't know what's going to happen in it yet.

Character Development. First episode is usually about introducing the main characters as a whole than focus on one in particular.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Alpha3KV posted:

The main character is not very good at her job and probably barely remembers how the circulatory system works.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Much like an actual red blood cell that just goes with the flow and eventually finds their way around.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Then the next episode is the lymphatic system, featuring Killer T getting lost while delivering a shipment of discarded sandwich wrappers

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am looking forward to the NK and Killer T date episode, which I am willing into existence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think NK and RBC Senpai would make a better couple.

Pity about BLACK being in a different body because their WBC and NK would get along wonderfully.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Syritta posted:

not if they're metastasizing

Would a benign tumor be like, another Akira guy, but just chill?

it'd be like a minority enclave where the local cells look different but are otherwise harmless and as long as they stay within their zone, they're accepted.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Full Op

Platelet Song

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Oh, sweet, are those Macrophage and Killer T joining in? I never realized that the final line didn't just have Red and White doing a different tone on the third and fourth repetition.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I liked the part at the end when the platelets ask if macrophage is the strongest.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Being red blood cell is suffering

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Red blood cell's screaming face becomes more powerful...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Killer Tsundere cell

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
The red blood cells work so hard. They should at least get weekends off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Red blood cell's screaming face becomes more powerful...

Her tongue has evolved from a small screaming face into a miniature RBC

That's weird

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
1 2 3 4
we are cells at work
1 2 3 4
we are overcoming our socially enforced masculinity and acknowledging our emotions and insecurities in a relatively healthy manner
whoo!!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This anime is real good, and not a bad way to get people vaguely interested in the most important science, biology

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Namtab posted:

This anime is real good, and not a bad way to get people vaguely interested in the most important science, biology

a weird way to spell chemestry

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ElMaligno posted:

a weird way to spell chemestry

Irony in action. Also, my understanding was that all of those scientific fields were basically starting to merge, or at least crossover, and have a lot of interdependence nowadays thanks to things like quantum biology (mixing biology, chemistry and physics).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

you did it, Kana Hanazawa, you made it through the circulatory system :911:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

tsob posted:

Irony in action. Also, my understanding was that all of those scientific fields were basically starting to merge, or at least crossover, and have a lot of interdependence nowadays thanks to things like quantum biology (mixing biology, chemistry and physics).

Biochemistry is a distinct major from either of those in many schools.

And yeah, anywhere in chemistry where you start caring about individual atoms deeper than "how to these molecules react," you may as well be working with a branch of particle physics.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/177487024477/cells-drawn-in-their-corresponding-sizes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/440337/1

New Black chapter. Hepatocyte...