Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Hi everybody (my first thread..maybe)

I recently purchased the very exciting WWE-branded book "Creating the Mania" and since it seems to be half kayfabe half shoot, I thought it would be a hoot to read it and post my thoughts/any "funny" tidbits chapter by chapter.

And when I say half kayfabe/half shoot this is how the author describes it (copied from an interview with The Wrestling Estate)

quote:

I remember really early on in the process talking to Jinder Mahal. He started answering a question and then he stopped. ‘Do you want me to talk in character or answer for real?’ I was like, I want the real answer. He was like, ‘alright. Forget what I just told you. Let me tell you the story behind what happened.’ Road Dogg was like, ‘am I going to get fired for saying this?’ (laughs)

The book centers on the 365 days between Wrestlemania 33 and 34.

Here is the official description:

quote:

Creating the Mania takes fans backstage with an all-access pass to the behind-the-scenes stories of WrestleMania 34, which became the Mercedes-Benz Superdome’s highest grossing entertainment event at $14.1 million and a sold-out crowd of 78,133 fans. Follow the yearlong life cycle of WWE’s biggest event, from how the storylines were developed to how the host city was selected, from the logistics and planning behind hosting over 70,000 members of the WWE Universe to the rivalries and matches playing out inside the ring, in a book that chronicles the events leading up to the “Showcase of the Immortals.

This journey includes exclusive interviews with top Superstars, including Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Braun Strowman, Charlotte Flair, Sasha Banks, Kevin Owens, The Miz, and “Phenomenal” A.J. Styles, breaking down their year leading up to ’Mania and the highs and lows that go along with being a WWE Superstar ― pushing their hardest, all with the same goal in mind… to main event WrestleMania.

It is written by Jon Robinson, who is described on Amazon as follows:

quote:

Jon Robinson is an award-winning author of seven books, including The Ultimate Warrior: A Life Lived Forever, NXT: The Future Is Now, and WWE: The Attitude Era. His work has appeared in ESPN The Magazine, IGN, and Sports Illustrated. He still takes pride in beating The Rock in Madden and giving the real Stone Cold a Stunner to take the 1-2-3 in a WWE video game. Jon lives in Millbrae, CA..

BUT HOLD ON!!!

Robinson has also penned/ghostwritten this fine book, which makes him a good brother!

So what I will do is, go through the 320-page book, chapter by chapter.

Each chapter (there are 35 chapters) will get one post where I summarise the topic (Each chapter focuses on different superstar and their journey) and post quotes of anything funny/controversial (Braun describes Roman as the best sports entertainer in the world) or interesting thing I come across.

Please note that I am a dumb rear end in a top hat from Finland and my spelling might suck sometimes. I'll try my best.

Thank you.

There is a short introduction called The Origins of Mania, it will be coupled with the real first chapter of the book titled "Whose yard is it anyway?".

That will come tomorrow.

-

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I like this because I feel like too big of a dork when I read wrestling books (even though I'm reading the chapo book, which is equally as dorky as a wrestling book). Thank you for your service

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, the mix of kayfabe and reality is probably gonna make this really fascinating.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Okay, friends and lovers... HERE WE GO!

Before our first chapter, we get a small introduction detailing the creation of Wrestlemania.

The basic timeline of Vince buying the company, taking over and creating the Mania. Vince is quoted few times, but nothing too crazy. Except for some strange reason he is using the word collusion few times.

Here's a quote... FOR YOUR rear end

quote:

Back in the '80s, there was this "Don't tread on me´" philosophy. Quite frankly, all the promoters were operating under a consent decree from the Justice Department because they had been colluding and continued to. Then I came along and bought my dad's business and decided I wanted to go national and, indeed international with it.

My dad didn't know that. Had he known that, he never would have sold me the northeast territory, which was his domain. All of these promoters were pretty tough guys. So when I began to compete with them, it was the first time they ever had competition. The idea was, you couldn't put your television show in someone else's territory. That was a no-no. Again, it was a collusion on the part of all those promoters.

Other tidbits.

- Vince says that he got the idea to Wrestlemania in the Bahamas during the "last vacation he has ever taken".

Sidenote!. I hate how this book uses the word WWE Universe EVERYTIME instead of fans. It sickens me.

Example. Vince is talking about the first Wrestlemania, and the problems figuring out how to show it to everyone.

quote:

Because who knew that the WWE Universe would pay their money to watch television in an arena

Okay back to the story.

It recounts the WWE and MTV connection, Cindy Lauper, The War to Settle the Score and all that jazz.

- Vince says that the word "sports entertainment" has roots with his father

quote:

So how are we going to present this to Madison Avenue? It cant be "pro wrestling". My dad was always more entertainment-oriented that most of the other promoters anyway. So hence, the "sports" in terms of athleticism and "entertainment" because that's what we do.

- Wrestlemania had at the moment of writing the brand value of 195 million, which according to Forbes is the sixth most valuable sporting event in the world.

Bobby Roode (a 20-year veteran of the ring) is also quoted here, talking about watching the very first Wrestlemania through an illegal feed. He also says that his dream and goal through his years in the business was always performing at Wrestlemania. :smugdog:

So far pretty basic stuff. Let's move to the first chapter called "WHOSE YARD IS IT ANYWAY?"

The opening to the chapter is pretty good. It asks "how does it feel to have 75,000 people boo your every move?

quote:

Doesn't matter to me; I have a thick skin"

- The writer actually has a funny line here, I'll quote it for your entertainment.

quote:

Reigns, a six-foot-three, 265-pound former football player and second-generation Superstar, is billed as the next Rock, even if the deafening - sometimes mixed but often negative - crowd reactions are increasingly in line with him being the next John Cena, the athlete who served as WWE's main attraction for over a decade, despite not necessarily gaining the adoration of the entire WWE Universe.

- Roman talks how once he gets in the ring, the size of the crowd shrinks to just three persons.

- A quick recap of him beating Undertaker in a "no-holds-barred slugfest". Roman says that he was sad that he was the one who had to retire Taker, but he was also happy that he was trusted with the responsibility.

quote:

This should be the most exciting thing I've ever done, this should be amazing but at the same time, my heart felt so heavy because I've never cared for an opponent more than I did at that moment. I could see almost his whole career in his eyes, the weight that was on him every day of being the Undertaker, Having the streak, being around and setting that bar - that's stressful.

- Roman talks about Taker is a true legend, one of a kind "Superstar" and calls his time in the ring with Taker a learning experience. He talks about how he likes to pick up small details and learn a thing from every opponent.

- The book mentions that while he was battling Taker, Reigns already knew that he was on his way to retire another legend of the WWE. Brock Lesnar... Yeah, they referred to him as a legend.

- Roman talks about the responsibility and stress of main eventing and retiring legends at Wrestlemania.

- Okay, I don't really care about Roman but this next part was good. I'll quote the whole thing. It talks about what WrestleMania means to him.

quote:

There is no offseason, We go fifty-two weeks a year, and when it comes down to it, this is the biggest live event of the year, the biggest gathering of the people in sports-entertainment. What I am so passionate about is we get to bring our families. For one full week, they get to be involved, they get to see it, they get to experience the event by our side. That's the tough part about our business: we're away from home every single week of the year. I've been on tour now for eleven, twelve days straight. I'm coming off of hurricane Irma; my house was under water, and my wife is having to redo all kinds of stuff without me there.

- He mentions that he likes to go "program to program" and he is currently working to get back to the main event. First with John Cena, and a long program with Braun Strowman, who he is helping to get to the next level.

- He says that Brett Hart told him that his first match with Brock at Wrestlemania was an "instant classic". He also claims that while there were other huge moments, everybody went home talking about Roman vs Brock.

- Mentions that he likes the physical type of fights/brawls that you get with Brock, Strowman, Bray Wyatt and Samoa Joe.

Lastly talks about the crowd reaction he is expecting at New Orleans

quote:

Hopefully really loud. I've said it plenty of times, that's the only thing that matters to me. Make that noise. You paid that money. I'm a grown man, I have a thick skin, so you are not going to hurt my feelings. If you are there, do whatever you want, make as much noise as you want. You can boo me, but I feel good enough about my abilities and I know I can change things up on you at any moment, so I don't sweat it. I will take you on a ride, you just have to be willing to get a little nuts.

Hell its New Orleans, hopefully by the time i get out there, they all be drunk

Yep yep. loving Roman.

Next chapter is about Miz.

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

quote:

Reigns, a six-foot-three, 265-pound former football player and second-generation Superstar, is billed as the next Rock, even if the deafening - sometimes mixed but often negative - crowd reactions are increasingly in line with him being the next John Cena,

Reigns being compared to Cena? oh boy...that's something to wrap one's head around.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
You can tell that that's a real Vince quote due to the clumsy use of "quite frankly" and "indeed."

TV Zombie posted:

Reigns being compared to Cena? oh boy...that's something to wrap one's head around.

Being compared to The Rock is even more egregious. Being big Samoans who are related is the only thing they have in common.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah "The Next John Cena" is his floor.
His FLOOR.
Good book so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't think I could deal with reading a book that used "WWE Universe" every time it meant to say fans. Seriously, it would drive me crazy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I dunno, I don't find it any weirder than "Trekkie" or "Whovian" or the various ones like it I only vaguely remember. It's just a name for the fans. :shrug:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I couldn't read a whole book using those every page either

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Senerio posted:

I dunno, I don't find it any weirder than "Trekkie" or "Whovian" or the various ones like it I only vaguely remember. It's just a name for the fans. :shrug:

Substituting every instance of "fans" for their dumb branded term is what the book is reportedly doing, not just occasionally using a nickname for a group

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, plus it isn't an organic term that gets peppered in naturally, it feels incredibly forced every drat time. It always sounds like something drafted by committee as a press release.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What it comes down to is "fans" is one syllable, "Trekkies" and "Whovians" are two and three respectively, and WWE Universe is TEN SYLLABLES.

That and yeah, the "never use anything but this one specific phrase". The only equivalent I can think of is Disney having the term "imagineers" which is kinda weird but also doesn't come up that often.

Basically branding is the enemy of good writing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Come on, fellow universians! Let's embrace our fandom!

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Chapter 2 - You Can Hate Me Now

April 10, 2017 WWE RAW

- chapter starts with a quick mention on the importance of "RAW after Mania". It has became almost as anticipated as Mania itself.

Then it delves into the Superstar shakeup and how it was a complete suprise to all the "WWE Superstars.

Miz explains it here pretty good

The Miz posted:

What you saw on live TV, the reactions you saw from the Superstars who were changing shows, those were authentic reactions, because we had no idea.

Nobody tells me anything. When we switched, thats when we switched. It was frustrating because i thought that i did a really good job building myself up on Smackdown to the point where i thought i was in line for the WWE Championship.

Once you move to another show, you have to reinvent yourself because now there are new characters, new writers,
new everything. I feel like I'm the guy who always needs to prove himself over and over and over again, because no
matter how good i am, i will always have doubters and haters

And what people dont realize is switching from Smackdown to Raw is actually life changing.

Raw works from Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

Smackdown works Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. So that switches up your entire week by switching which days you are on the road .

It doesnt sound like a lot, like its just one days difference, but people have habits, they get used to do certain things on certain days, and when you have to change your whole schedule, you have to get used to everything all over again.

- it recaps the build to Cena & Nikki vs Maryse & Miz. He comments that at first he was not into it, the creative didnt really give them anything.

-Claims that they just started riffing with Maryse on the car and came up with the Total Bellas Bullshit.

- They had complete control on the segments and basically improvised everything.

- Miz talks how much Mania means to him, and how important for him it to create moments that audience will remember for the rest of their life( gives example of stealing Bryans Yes kicks)

- Next it moves to Bryan/Miz feud and calls it a match that the "WWE Universe" cant wait to see. Miz says that he hopes it happens in Wrestlemania ( at this point Bryan is not cleared yet).

This next bit is super interesting. Miz talks about the Talking Smack moment. Its a pretty long quote but for me it has been the most interesting thing in the book so far.

Miz on what led to the moment. posted:

I was the Intercontinental Champion and that day i was told that i wasnt going to be on the show. They were introducing the Smackdown Tag Team Champions, they were introducing the new Womens Champion and there wasnt any time on the show. Now this is coming from the guy who was just put on Smackdown and they dont have time for me?

I'm the Intercontinental Champion, this is the title i always wanted. You look at the WWE Championship, the Universal Championship, and those were great, but when i was a kid, my heroes had this title and they were known as the workhorses. Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, I'll even put Ultimate Warrior in there because he got a reaction from the crowd.

And now i have this prestigious, most honorable title that had been thrown down the toilet for the last ten years because its the secondary title. I want it to be the main title. I want it to be so you can have WWE Champion and the Intercontinental Champion square off and you have no idea who is going to win.

Miz on Talking Smack posted:

I went up to one of the producers and said "Put me on Talking Smack". He goes "Why?". And i tell him " Because I'm going to vent out all of my frustrations with everything that i have this moment, and I'm going to vent it out on the General Manager of Smackdown Daniel Bryan."

So i went up to Daniel and said "Hey, man, I dont know how this is going to go, but I'm really upset," and he actually gave me a couple of lines and told me maybe i could go here, here, here and here. I told him "if you want do anything, just go for It, I dont care"

I just wanted to make something captivating, something amazing. And when i went out there, I dont even remember anything, I just went blank. I dont remember anything i said. I was so angry and so mad and so frustrated and i just let it all go. Sometimes when you are angry you try to harness it and you say to yourself "Calm down, calm down". But in my head, I said "gently caress it, I dont care" and i just started to ripping into everything.

I lost it. I literally lost it on Talking Smack. I even told Daniel, " If i say things that go too far, go ahead and hit me" i didnt know if he going to slap me but instead he got up and walked away. And, honestly him walking away was the biggest gift he couldve ever given to me.

He gave me the power, and thats something a lot of people will not do. Theyll stand up and get in your face so they dont look weak, but Daniels just so smart and just so good and were are such good foils to each other.

The chapter ends on Miz talking about not at this point wanting to know the plans for Mania 34. Says he has been burned before by injuries and creative changing things up on the last minute. Gives example on how he and Morrison spent months on developing a match and building it up. And then on the day of Mania they were told "Sorry, you are moved to the preshow"

Very good and interesting chapter. Miz is good with his words.

At this point i realised that the book is split in half. First part is 2017 and the plans for Mania and the second part is 2018 and what happens when the show gets closer. So at this point Daniel is not cleared, Ronda is not signed etc.

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't say it is a surprise to learn that the best part of that Miz/Maryse vs Cena/Nikki feud was the stuff that WWE's writers weren't involved in.

That Talking Smack stuff is really fascinating too, and I really dig how it seems like Bryan and Miz worked together on it. The distaste they are supposed to have for each other certainly comes across on screen so it's cool to hear they were actually both into it.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Dont know how interested people really are but i'll throw the chapter list in spoiler. You can see what is coming up right now or go to the journey with me post-by-post.

Part one: 2017

1. Whose Yard is it Anyway? (Roman)

2. You can hate me now (Miz)

3. The Modern Day Maharaja ( Jinder)

4. Best for Business ( chapter about how WWE selects the host city)

5. Joe's Gonna Kill You (Samoa Joe)

6. Get These Hands ( Braun)

7. Up,Up, Down, Down (New Day)

8. Shield

9. Roode Awakening (Bobby ROOOOOOO)

10. Flair for Dramatic (Charlotte)

11. Headbutt heard around the World( KO)

12. Welcome the the USO Penitentiary ( USOS)

13. Creative Control (Super interesting chapter about writers and writing in WWE)

14. They dont want none (AJ)

15. Imminent Deletion (Matt Hardy)

16. Rumble, Young Woman, Rumble (Banks, Bailey)

Intermission: Favorite Mania moments

Part two: 2018

17. Gold-Blooded (Jason Jordan, remember him)

18. Yes! Yes! Yes! No! No! No! Maybe?(Daniel before getting cleared)

19. Walk with Elias

20. The injury bug bites (another super interesting chapter, where multiple injuries shake everything up)

21. Five feet of fury ( Bliss)

22. The Right Angle ( Kurt)

23. Oh, you didnt know (loving rear end in a top hat Road Dogg)

24.Balor Club for Everyone (Devitt)

25. I dont give a drat about my reputation ( Ronda)

26. We dont set the bar, we are the bar

27. Fight for your Dreams (Daniel getting cleared)

28. Setting the Stage ( building Mania)

29. Outta Nowhere (Orton)

30. Stay Loud (Corey Graves)

31.Superfan ( chapter about some mark)

32. With my Baby Tonight ( Jarret)

33. One and Only ( Ricochet)

34. 205 Live (Cedric)

35. Eat, Sleep, Wrestlemania, Repeat (Recap of 34 And plans for 35)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Someday Bryan and Miz will form the most must see tag team...DAD SQUAD.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

TV Zombie posted:

Someday Bryan and Miz will form the most must see tag team...DAD SQUAD.

What about Heath? I think he's mentioned having children.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheCool69 posted:

Chapter 2 - You Can Hate Me Now

Very good and interesting chapter. Miz is good with his words.

Miz will never be counted among the all-time greats by most people, but the more I learn about him, the more I go back and watch his old material, the more I love him and feel like he's ALWAYS been underrated just because compared to many of his contemporaries he's not that great in the ring. The fact that his contemporaries are largely a generation of wrestlers who are better than any wrestlers who'd ever come before them in history is often overlooked in that calculus, funnily enough.

I think in a decade or so we're going to look back at the story of Daniel Bryan and The Miz as being among the greatest long-term rivalries in the history of the medium, full stop. Of course, much of that will depend on how it ends.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
This reminds me of a choose your own adventure book thread someone did a while back where you were trying to become a wrestler. It was so freaking fun.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

This reminds me of a choose your own adventure book thread someone did a while back where you were trying to become a wrestler. It was so freaking fun.

Starring Mason Ryan.

(It was Rarity's)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

What it comes down to is "fans" is one syllable, "Trekkies" and "Whovians" are two and three respectively, and WWE Universe is TEN SYLLABLES.

That and yeah, the "never use anything but this one specific phrase". The only equivalent I can think of is Disney having the term "imagineers" which is kinda weird but also doesn't come up that often.

Basically branding is the enemy of good writing.

Disney also uses "cast members" for certain members of staff.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Endless Mike posted:

Disney also uses "cast members" for certain members of staff.

My wife is an ex-DW cast member. The conceit is that the park is "on stage", so the employees aren't normal employees but members of a cast playing a role.

It's apparently the same thing with WWE. They aren't just mere fans, they're a branded concept owned by WWE.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

More to the point.
Every single other branded tag is something that can be applied to a person.
The notion of the Fans being a 'Universe' is utterly dehumanizing and a pretty good indication of how the people in charge of branding actually view us.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Okay here we go (again).

Chapter 3!!!!!!

The Modern Day Maharaja ...... -.-

May 21, 2017 : WWE Backlash

- Chapter starts with Jinder telling us that he writes his goals down everyday. Heading into 2017 he wrote "Became a WWE champion". Meaning he hoped for Intercontinental or US Championship.

Heh heh, next he talks how he took the opportunity to get into the best possible shape. Eventually "Mahal's impressive new physique" caught the eye of Vince and when the opportunity to elevate heel in the Andre Giant BR arose, Mahal got the call

- Apparently the plan originally was for Braun to run roughshod through the competition, but when Gronkowski showed up, creative quickly changed plans.

loving GRONK!!!!

- Mahal sucks up to Gronk and says that he was very happy to work with him, eventhough Gronk shot on him and nearly knocked him out. Mentions that after the clip went viral, his IG following went up 50g followers.

- Talks about getting the news of winning the belt.

quote:

It was announced that there was a Six-Pack Challenge match to see who would be the number one contender. Its funny because i received a bunch of Tweets from people who were in shock that i was even in the match. On the Monday, we had a live event before the Six-Pack challenge and i was TAPING MY WRISTS, and i was talking to some of the other performers in the athletic room, and i was like "Who is Orton going to work it?, Its Baron?" And they were like "Corbin's not even in the match, he's going to be working with you!". I was like "What?" Then i see Randy walk into the training room twenty minutes later, and he tells me "Hey, I hear were going to be working together".

So i thought it was just on-shot PPV deal. I didnt get any indication that i was going to be winning the WWE Championship until the actual day of Backlash. I had no idea. Once i got to the arena, and they told me the plan, but like everything in WWE, I knew plans could change. So when i was walking backstage, i kept expecting someone to tell me things have changed.

- Mentions that after winning, it was nice seeing Drew waiting in the Gorilla.

- Says that he felt that he was too immature at the time of 3MB, and takes full responsibility of getting released. He believes that Vince saw all the work and the hunger he has and rewarded him with the Belt. Admits that they needed someone to work with Orton and he was in the right right place at the right time.

- Tells that loving JBL came to him and said "the same thing happened to me. They needed someone to work with Eddie and they put a jetpack on me".

- This motherfucker says that after winning the belt he started studying tapes of past heel champions and drawed inspiration from Ric Flair and JBL!!! Likens to himself to Flair, keeping the belt by hook or crook.

- Like playing the chicken poo poo heel with Singh.

- Says that the crowning moment was visiting India. Was blown away by the response he got.

- Tells us that when he openly stated during Q&A that he hoped to face Cena at Mania, he was shooting. He didnt clear the challenge with Creative.

- The chapter ends with Mahal telling us that now his goal is "Main eventing Mania".

I dislike Mahal almost as much a Roman so this chapter was not so interesting to me. And next chapter looks like a doozy as well. It's about how WWE chooses the host city, so its a lot of stroking their own dicks.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jinder actually seems like a really nice and cool dude. Too bad he's horrendous at the whole "wrestling" thing and his booking as WWE champ was some of the most ridiculous garbage ever witnessed.

(thanks for this thread my fellow countryman, this is all good stuff!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, personally I'm sure Jinder is a cool dude and it must have been wonderful for him to suddenly get such a big push after years as a comedy jobber, but goddamn was his run at the top awful.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, personally I'm sure Jinder is a cool dude and it must have been wonderful for him to suddenly get such a big push after years as a comedy jobber, but goddamn was his run at the top awful.

To me, while his run was definitely lackluster the fact that he doesn't appear to or isn't rumored to be a toxic presence backstage kinda sorta makes up for it. And his run didn't really do any long-term damage to the company either.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i dont get why people unfairly judge jinder mahal and call him bad when he takes steroids, but shredder uses the ooze and becomes super shredder and its cool? i dont think its really the right thing to do to jinder

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Okay here we have potentially the least interesting chapter in the book.

Chapter 4 - Best For Business

- June 4, 2017 -

- The chapter opens up with a mention that while the WWE Universe is glued into Extreme Rules, behind-the-scenes the business negotiations with New Orleans officials is already underway.

- The main character of this chapter is John Saboor, WWE's Executive Vice President of Special Events.

- He mentions that after multiple years of hard work nowadays the average planning cycle is sixteen to eighteen months to bring together all the pieces that make Mania week reality.

- Recently collectively 29 events serve up to make the Wrestlemania week. That includes ticketed, community based and PR-based events.

- Jacks off about how important to them the community based events are. Events range from Make-a-wish to Be-a-Star events. Even Special Olympics is mentioned.

quote:

WWE as a company has put as much weight in our pro-social based events as we do with our ticketed and revenue-based events and thats something that we take enormous amount of pride in

Mentions that any city bidding to host Mania needs to deemed as "a destination city", where WWE Universe can spend their vacation juggling WWE and non-WWE events.

Talks about how they have created a RFP - a request for proposal, a bid document, which is designed to showcase the history of Wrestlemania and opportunities for the city that wins the right to host the event.

Saboor says that while all hosting bid are heard by WWE's senior leadership team the final decision is always Vinces.

quote:

Our Chairman created this celebration in 1985, and this is our most important annual rite of passage. He is still intimately involved in leading the discussion internally and making that final decision.

We review all of the formal proposals that we receive, then we pare that list down to group of finalists and the finalist are then invited to WWE's headquarters to deliver their proposal in person

- Says that the cities that dont win the Mania, will likely eventually win the bid. Mentions also that they consider Rumble, Survivor Series and Summerslam as showcase events that may go to cities that dont win the Mania bid.

- Talks about how he came to WWE from the other side of the table. He was part of the Orlando delegation that won the right to host Mania in 08.

- They tout some numbers that Mania 33 brought to New Orleans. 181,5 million in "direct, indirect and induced impact derived from spending visitors to the Orlando region".

- Lastly they discuss the possibility of Mania going international. Saboor says that with the incremental growth of WWE Network they have opened their minds to the possibility.

He ends the chapter with this quote

quote:

I think that we'll see during our lifetime some real serious consideration to some world cities to host this worldclass event

Nuff said. Next is chapter about SAMOA JOEYE

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 29, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The numbers touted that Wrestlemania brought to New Orleans seems a bit much since...it is New Orleans.What are numbers outside of Wrestlemania, for New Orleans?

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Because TheCool loves you, I will give you the gift... of the next chapter.

Chapter 5 - Joe's Gonna Kill You

June 5, 2017

- We open with the brief recap of Joes promo about Brock. The author says that this might have been Joes best promo (of the year). He also mentions that Paul Heyman might be the best hype man to ever step in the ring.

- Joe says that he saw the moment when he choked Paul out as "the make it or break it moment of my career".

- Says that WWE told him earlier in his career that "he didn't have the look" or "he just didn't have what the WWE was looking for"

- Mentions that Triple H signed Joe in 2015 and called him up to the main roster.

Joe speaks real about the Balls of Fire match meant and what Heyman did for him

quote:

In a sense, the moment with Heyman, the match with Brock, it was a do-or-die moment for me with the company. It was thrust upon me, and something that I didn't expect. I heard that I might get the chance to work with Brock and then they actually pulled the trigger. I think the first promo with Heyman, we knew we were on to something. Working with Brock let me show what I could do in the ring, and when they put you with Brock, you know they are starting to see you as one of the top guys. At the same time, you know you have to deliver and I think if I didn't deliver in this match, in this build, that could've been it for me in WWE. That was my chance. The whole thing was a really cool moment because being in the ring with Brock was one of my goals

quote:

But it was that first moment with Heyman that kicked off the whole thing. Paul is one of the last great orators of professional wrestling. He has the unique ability to show up, grab a microphone and make any situation interesting. Even situations that might not seem big, Paul can start speaking and he immediately captures the crowd. He's definitely part of the package with Brock. He understands the human mind better than most and he's able to tap into things with keywords that make people emotionally invested in what he's talking about

Says that he enjoyed the build-up and the brawl with Lesnar.

quote:

Brock is an incredibly emotional performer. He comes out there with a lot of intensity, he feeds off emotion, and if you're not going all-out he's going to swallow you whole. He's going to go out there and toss you around and if you are not a hundred and twenty percent go-go-go when you are in there with Brock Lesnar, don't even bother going in the ring with him. At the same time, if you go out there and match intensity if you go out there looking for a fight, Brock is going to go out there and give you his best. He definitely makes you little worse for wear, but Brock is coming for a fight

- Says that his first choice of opponent for Mania 34, would be loving ROMAN REIGNS!!! "We bring out the best in each other, Romans a very emotional performer too, and if you bring the heat, he can bring it back tenfold. If you manage to push the right buttons, you get something special when you are in the ring with him.

- Says that if not Roman, then he would like to face Brock or Braun.

Good (but short) chapter even though I feel that most of it was in kayfabe.

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 29, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See the chapter about all the business nerdery is potentially interesting to me, but it seems like they spend most of it honking their horn.

I’m not expecting warts and all, but there’s “not making yourselves look bad” and there’s “never shutting up about how great you are.”

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Maxwell Lord posted:

See the chapter about all the business nerdery is potentially interesting to me, but it seems like they spend most of it honking their horn.

I’m not expecting warts and all, but there’s “not making yourselves look bad” and there’s “never shutting up about how great you are.”
Stephanie McMahon is their "Chief Brand Officer"

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Next we have everybodys former favorite "Monster Among Men"

Chapter 6 - GET THESE HANDS

July 9, 2017

- The chapter starts off with a bang. Braun is PISSED! He was left without a singles match in Mania 33. And the plans for him to win and dominate Andre The Giant BR was changed last minute because bitchass Gronk wanted to show off.

quote:

I was very disappointed. I had been putting in a lot of hard work and to be left out in the big dance, that struck a chord in me and its lit a fire under me to work harder. It pissed me off that i wasnt a marquee match on the show, and then the battle royal didnt go as planned.

Awww poo poo. here we go. Braun starts to talk how nice and good that no good son of a bitch Reigns is. This is BS! I'll quote the whole thing. Disqusting

quote:

Working with Roman has helped me tremendously. He has really helped Braun Strowman come into character and show everyone what the "Monster Among Men" is capable of doing. There's no one else like Roman. He is the single best talent in the world when it comes to sports-entertainment. We've been all over the world, night after night and i've basically been in a rivalry with Roman since i debuted, and we've just been selling out arenas and putting butts in seat and getting smiles and tears and whatever other emotions we can evoke out of people. Thats our job, and i really enjoy getting in the ring with him night after night.

I know he has the same work ethic that i do and thats to go out there and give one hundred percent of what he is capable of doing night in and night out, and it shows. He's the guy. Everybody wants to work with Roman. Thats where the money is at. He's safe, so you dont have to worry about getting injured. Hes going to go out there and put his body on the line with everything he does because he trusts you, and it takes a guy like that to be able to make the type of matches that weve been able to do.

- The book mentions that moments between Roman and Braun, moments like flipping the ambulance and throwing the chair square at Romand have made Braun the most watched Superstar on Youtube.

Then we get a little shitnugget from Roman himself

quote:

Throwing the chair, the ambulance, the Fatal 4-Way, the turnbuckle that we broke. Sometimes you do so much that its almost like "drat, what are we going to next". That's how i think psychology wise - dont throw me into that turnbuckle tonight because we already broke one, so if we do it again and it doesnt break tonight, it just looks weaker and we dont want to punch a hole in our story. The stuff Braun comes up with is incredible. To have a guy six-foot-eight, almost 400 pounds - where do we even find these people? Its not like we can just go to Walmart. So wheneer you have a situation like that, you want to make it special. He can do special things, like throw and attached chair at me. Thats the cool part of it. The Disney World effect that this business has with some guys, and we need to continue to attract talent like that. Obviously we need Braun Strowman to be Braun Strowman, we dont need another Braun Strowman, but we need another force to be reckoned with. We need another young stud thoroughbred like a Jason Jordan to step up. We have a lot of good talen, now its just about utilizing them

Here comes the good part.

quote:

I've been blessed over the last three years with gaining all of this experience by being put in the frying pan and, now its on me to pass that knowledge along. Thats what I did with Strowman. I tried to teach him all the knowledge that ive gained and hopefully make him a better performer. Thats what this generation is all about, thats what this generation cares about. We came to this places at a certain leve and now its up to us to leave it in a better place than where we found it.

They both mention how the chair throw was not gimmicked or anything, it was a one in the million shot. They preplanned but did not rehearse it.

- Braun talks how he likes to walk around the arena before show and plan out what kind of special moment he can do that the WWE Universe has never seen before. He strives to do things that make you go "Holy crap, im going to remember this match forever because Braun did this or Braun did that"

- Says that seems like everything he touches goes viral - "I guess im sick" ...

HAH HAH the chapter ends with Braun SHOOTING ON SHEETS AND THE MARKS!!!

quote:

A couple of years ago, every rumor had me facing Undertaker at Wrestlemania, but that was solely an internet rumor. I never actually heard anything about that at work.

Thats just all of the gossip on the internet. The WWE Universe likes to think they know whats going on behind the scenes, and there are reporters who like to report like they know whats really happening but here is the thing: were driving this car. We can tell you anything we want to tell you, and we can do a bait-and-switch on you in a heartbeat. We can make you think one thing, just to get you all mad about something, then well change things up WWE Universe are like "Oh man, this is what we really wanted". Heres the thing you guys dont know what you want. You hate one thing one minute, then you love it the next minute. My job is to go out there and either make you love me or make you hate me, and i dont care one way or the other. As long as I go out there and youre making noise, Im happy

Wow.. i used to like Braun, but he comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat.

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 30, 2018

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

TheCool69 posted:

I dunno. He comes off saying what he has to say, to me. Roman is great and sheets are bad. I imagine those are things you learn very early to stick with.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TheCool69 posted:

Heel turn working as planned :vince:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I actually agree with Von Linus there, and I'm sure Braun thinks that about Roman in particular, but this bit

quote:

Heres the thing you guys dont know what you want. You hate one thing one minute, then you love it the next minute.

is an extremely WWE/Vince point of view and can't believe Braun honestly believes that himself, unless he's just actually super dumb. I really don't think audiences work like that at all, 99 % of the reactions WWE shows get from audiences are perfectly rational and easy to explain - provided you understand how human beings and narratives work. Of course that's something you can't assume from Vince McMahon.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Like "It is much easier to appreciate John Cena when he isn't the center of the (WWE) Universe"
Because for all the back and forth, "WWE booked figureheads suck" is something most if not all of us here agree on.

• Locked thread