Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

No they aren't.

Exactly this.
They want to keep out the jocks but if a group of footballers or whatever came in they would do absolutely nothing but look at them strongly (as long as they weren't looking back, then they'd look away) because people like that (like me) despise confrontation at all costs.
They put up the sign so nobody would come in in the first place.
A real place would just let word of mouth get out that "we don't cater to your kind around here" without advertising it to the entire world. They do not want bouncers, they just want people to leave them alone because asking someone to leave is scary.

Edit: adding picture since this is a new page

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Tell me there's not such a thing as televised Quidditch.

They're just replaying the scenes from the movies and cheering for Gryffindor aren't they?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

the joke is that nerds don't respect boundaries
The joke is that nobody's going to go to their piece of poo poo bar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

They're just replaying the scenes from the movies and cheering for Gryffindor aren't they?
There's not. There is televised Overwatch.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

captainOrbital posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's not. There is televised Overwatch.

I got some bad news, fellas....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmkWyPjbR74

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

captainOrbital posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZogFOQWYJak

This is a thing.

efb

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Merkinman posted:

Nowhere does it says 'only'.
What if they went to a sports bar and wanted them to turn on Battlebots/Drone Racing/Quidditch?

I was thinking about that. Like, we all know that that bar doesn't actually have a problem with people coming in and asking for sports. Maybe one time somebody asked for the game to be put on, but frankly I doubt even that

But if a sports bar had a big sign up saying NO BOARD GAMES, it would be immediately obvious that they had only put up that sign because a bunch of fuckin nerds kept coming in and shoving table together so they could play Settlers of Catan really loudly all night.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

we've seen the stories about creepers being kicked out of game stores, imagine if they were wasted

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

Dude's gonna get sued for discrimination. I guess there weren't any lawyer nerds to advise them against advertising how they are explicitly excluding folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDcjlYrwmQ

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Huh. I learned something today.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

The joke is that nobody's going to go to their piece of poo poo bar.

I know a ton of people that would go to such a bar, but all the places round here that would be that place are smart enough to call themselves gaming cafes or gaming pubs which means they don't have to pedantically explain poo poo to people with a note the front door.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

Exactly this.
They want to keep out the jocks but if a group of footballers or whatever came in they would do absolutely nothing but look at them strongly (as long as they weren't looking back, then they'd look away) because people like that (like me) despise confrontation at all costs.
They put up the sign so nobody would come in in the first place.
A real place would just let word of mouth get out that "we don't cater to your kind around here" without advertising it to the entire world. They do not want bouncers, they just want people to leave them alone because asking someone to leave is scary.

no, they just dont want people coming in, sitting down, asking the manager to put sports on the tv, and then leaving because the bar doesn't have a sports package and it wastes everyone's time. there's a huge expectation that bars with televisions will display sports because this is generally a good way to attract business, so this sign is a way to drive away business but it's nothing to with this aggrieved nerds scared of jocks thing you're cooking up

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

luxury handset posted:

no, they just dont want people coming in, sitting down, asking the manager to put sports on the tv, and then leaving because the bar doesn't have a sports package and it wastes everyone's time. there's a huge expectation that bars with televisions will display sports because this is generally a good way to attract business, so this sign is a way to drive away business but it's nothing to with this aggrieved nerds scared of jocks thing you're cooking up

I may be projecting based on my own experiences and the experiences of my friends.

https://twitter.com/emquast/status/1034909725547286532/

It just keeps going and going. I am ignoring the text from the Tweet itself, obviously.

Edit: I wonder what their "vaping" policy is? I'd probably still go there at least once.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

vaping is mandatory

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

I may be projecting based on my own experiences and the experiences of my friends.

i did a little research and i found the place on google maps. it's in a lovely strip mall in suburban tampa, in an industrial stretch of town - bad for business if you're anything than a divey biker bar

on google street view there's a different bar there every year, but with the same sort of lovely low effort signage. and one year there's a tax prep business in that spot which in other years is off to the side. like the location has the same owner but the bar in that location keeps changing. so my conjecture here is that the owner of the strip mall runs a real lovely bar in the anchor location to drum up business for adjacent businesses, aka keep them paying rent. and the bar itself keeps cycling through identities in search of a market to serve

so the real reason they don't have a sports package? they can't afford it lmao

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ew, Tampa

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bars in the US can't flourish with dozens of really bad-tasting local beers with quirky names and silly labels and no sports at all? What kind of capitalism is it :confused:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bars in the US can't flourish with dozens of really bad-tasting local beers with quirky names and silly labels and no sports at all? What kind of capitalism is it :confused:

Nah there’s plenty of those, they’re great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EoRaptor posted:

I know a ton of people that would go to such a bar, but all the places round here that would be that place are smart enough to call themselves gaming cafes or gaming pubs which means they don't have to pedantically explain poo poo to people with a note the front door.
Those aren't real people, they're nerds.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Aleph Null posted:

https://twitter.com/emquast/status/1034909725547286532/

It just keeps going and going. I am ignoring the text from the Tweet itself, obviously.

Edit: I wonder what their "vaping" policy is? I'd probably still go there at least once.

Missing a key demographic by not having one section for fantasy sports. Meet people half way between "I love numbers" and "I love sports."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Let's have some questionably-funny pictures in this, the questionably-funny picture thread.

it's real

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok not any wil wheaton discussion here but can someone explain what "when you eldma pussy" is actually meant to sound like?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
eat mah

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bike tory posted:

Ok not any wil wheaton discussion here but can someone explain what "when you eldma pussy" is actually meant to sound like?

it's an I not an L

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

bike tory posted:

It's an i not an L

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Do they show e-sports? My country has been killing it at Mobile Legends and I need to keep up to date with their games. Also our new Youth and Sports Minister is a gamer and he wants to build an e-sports stadium which is probably like a huge cybercafe.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Do they show e-sports? My country has been killing it at Mobile Legends

WTF? There’s been *another* mass shooting? Already?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Proteus Jones posted:

WTF? There’s been *another* mass shooting? Already?

Unfortunately they are now immobile legends.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More derails?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The MSJ posted:

Do they show e-sports? My country has been killing it at Mobile Legends and I need to keep up to date with their games. Also our new Youth and Sports Minister is a gamer and he wants to build an e-sports stadium which is probably like a huge cybercafe.

:chloe:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How do you even do quidditch in real life if the entire point is for one person to grab the gold thing.

Also what’s the gold thing for these dorks... a canary?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do you even do quidditch in real life if the entire point is for one person to grab the gold thing.

A fat guy dressed in golden lamé

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do you even do quidditch in the books if the entire point is for one person to grab the gold thing.

(Answer: it is stupid)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Holy poo poo, I thought this:

Calaveron posted:

A fat guy dressed in golden lamé

was a joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You could do a drone but I doubt they would go through the effort.

Really the whole thing being popular as a "real" game is so weird when it was clearly just supposed to be a joke in the first book. You have a character explaining to Harry all the rules and positions and ways to score before giving the punchline of everything he just said is pointless because the game is actually won by one person finding the snitch.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought this:

was a joke.

Uh the snitch has to be fast and hard to catch, thanks

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Man, Tobias Fünke has fallen on hard times since Infinity War. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

muscles like this! posted:

You could do a drone but I doubt they would go through the effort.

Really the whole thing being popular as a "real" game is so weird when it was clearly just supposed to be a joke in the first book. You have a character explaining to Harry all the rules and positions and ways to score before giving the punchline of everything he just said is pointless because the game is actually won by one person finding the snitch.

These quidditch leagues started before commercial drones were a thing, so golden dude running around like an idiot was the most affordable thing they could come up with.

Edit for content

Zil has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Aug 31, 2018