Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

things would be different if saber was my dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So is Emiya at the end of Unlimited Blade Works supposed to be basically a demi servant afterwords? The whole demi servant concept is kinda confusing me

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

anglachel posted:

So is Emiya at the end of Unlimited Blade Works supposed to be basically a demi servant afterwords? The whole demi servant concept is kinda confusing me

At the end of UBW, no. Just a human mage with a stupidly strong reality marble that directly counters Gil and a prime candidate to be a hero or counter guardian.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

anglachel posted:

Going by FGO terminology, a Demi-Servant is a designer baby who has had a heroic spirit summoned and implanted in them from day one.

Summoning and letting a Heroic Spirit indwell you after you've grown up for a while as a normal human is a Pseudo-Servant.

Emiya in UBW is a human, more or less.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he also could only do ubw at that point cause he got super charged by loving rin

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Now the Heaven's Feel spoilers discussions we could be having are a different story.

Note: HF is the best route.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Going by FGO terminology, a Demi-Servant is a designer baby who has had a heroic spirit summoned and implanted in them from day one.

Summoning and letting a Heroic Spirit indwell you after you've grown up for a while as a normal human is a Pseudo-Servant.

Emiya in UBW is a human, more or less.

Now at the end of Fate/Accel Zero Order, is Waver a Pseudo-servant of himself as a Pseudo-servant?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AtheistMantis posted:

Now at the end of Fate/Accel Zero Order, is Waver a Pseudo-servant of himself as a Pseudo-servant?

No the Heroic Spirit Zhuge Liang jumps out of Present Waver and into Past Waver.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

After the GO mobile game finally came out for SEA and playing it for abit, I remembered that there was supposed to be heavens feel movies in the works and found out part one had been out for some time. I can not wait for poo poo to hit the fan

Also I noticed they did shuffle, or just outright delete some scenes from the VN, but that was only after I finished watching the movie when I thought back on it. like Rin and Sakrua awkwardly making a meal that saber hates cause they are too busy trying to reconnect as sisters

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the movies are not going to take every bit from the VN. I love the cooking stuff but all intact it would make for a really poorly paced trilogy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Stevefin posted:

Also I noticed they did shuffle, or just outright delete some scenes from the VN, but that was only after I finished watching the movie when I thought back on it. like Rin and Sakrua awkwardly making a meal that saber hates cause they are too busy trying to reconnect as sisters

I don't remember that happening before Saber's fight with Assassin.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't remember that happening before Saber's fight with Assassin.

Going to spoiler tag it probably did not, but it did happen when Saber did not become Alter and Shiro was still a master at the very least, its been a few years

Speaking of cooking, I am glad they put in the lunch with Kirei. it was pretty good

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Stevefin posted:

Going to spoiler tag it probably did not, but it did happen when Saber did not become Alter and Shiro was still a master at the very least, its been a few years

Speaking of cooking, I am glad they put in the lunch with Kirei. it was pretty good

It was Illya, not Saber, and It probably will be in the next movie

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1034776647889633280

medea time

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

How canon is fate grand order anyway, could a holy grail war summon say Santa Lily alter Jeanne of arc.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
About as canon as it gets I'd say, considering Nasu is overseeing it and how much lore about the overall Fate universe it's given that wasn't previously known.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inverse posted:

How canon is fate grand order anyway, could a holy grail war summon say Santa Lily alter Jeanne of arc.
the chaldea system is very different from the traditional grail system

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The narrative requirements of an endless money spinning gacha are pretty different to those of any kind of traditional story.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FGO is definitely canon but you're probably never summoning Santa Lily in a more "normal" HGW setup. Because she's not actually a historical figure, there's no catalyst that'll give you a connection to her, and without a catalyst the master effectively acts as one. While certainly not impossible to summon under these conditions, you'd have an easier time trying to summon Heracles in a HGW set in Greece than getting Santa Lily under optimal conditions.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FGO is technically canon only it's a different timeline so the events of FSN didn't happen, the summoning system is different so they can iron out any systematic differences, and they ignored a lot of what they previously wrote to make a new story.

I'm kind of honestly surprised that Zelretch hasn't made an appearance in FGO yet (outside of the Kaleidoscope CE). His being able to muck about with alternate dimensions and timelines was supposed to be his whole unique thing but they seem to be doing it all the time at Chaldea, and the Lostbelt story is all about that stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zelretch is kind of hard to write into any story because once he shows up the question becomes 'why didn't he solve literally every problem instantly.'

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Eh, considering the poo poo Chaldea deals with, post-Crisis Zelrecht isn't the deus ex machina he'd be in most other nasuverse stories.

Nasu is probably either saving him for something, or hasn't come up with a plotline that'd merit his appearance. Remember that even more than the world of magic and servants, Zelrecht's character is strongly tied to Tsukihime.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It might also be a case like in Fate/strange fake where Zelretch chooses not to intervene because of metaphysical consequences involving the Second Magic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, I seem to remember he’s kind of a lazy jerk. What, you expect him to bail every dumbass dimension he wanders into out of what ails it?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
According to Strange Fake he hangs around his little pocket dimension gossiping with his vampire boyfriend, watching other grail wars, and keeping the planet's giant-eternal-vampire-alien-spider problem under control.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zelretch is actually a stand-up guy and him being a jackass is just fan conjecture iirc

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think fan interpretations of him being a troll/jerk comes from him foisting off the Kaleidosticks on Rin and Luvia.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
True magic are powerful enough to affect reality. It can solve almost anything, and The holy grail is made with True Magic for example.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC Zel is described as Jojo.

And true magic isn't that crazy, it's just things that haven't (yet) been processed/absorbed by the human order. In Extra the Third Magic no longer exists, because they cracked how to materialize the soul and make it into a "thing" that wizards can manipulate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Zelretch is actually a stand-up guy and him being a jackass is just fan conjecture iirc

He’s notorious for being loving hideous to his students, for one thing, although it’s not entirely clear whether this is on purpose.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Darth Walrus posted:

He’s notorious for being loving hideous to his students, for one thing, although it’s not entirely clear whether this is on purpose.

If he trains you as a regular magus you're fine, more than that, you're hosed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the second magic just fucks with peoples heads. Remember that the main way you get magic is by basically finding an exploit in reality.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Zelretch taught the Tohsakas magecraft because they picked up a hotel bill for him one time so I posit that Zelretch is

A) Capricious and whimsical.
B) A little scatter-brained due to his insane dimensional power.
C) A broke-rear end bitch.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

D) literally Odin.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Zelretch really hate evil people, so he might be rooting out the bad through apprenticeship.

The Tohsakas Apprentice is a good person and come out completely fine.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

An FYI for UK/Scotland-based goons; they’re showing Presage Flower in the Glasgow Film Theatre as part of Scotland Loves Anime in early October.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Zel is basically Jojo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kyte posted:

Zel is basically Jojo.

Ah, but which Jojo?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AlternateNu posted:

Ah, but which Jojo?

Part 3 Joseph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Medea episode of Emiya Gohan is super cute