Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AlternateAccount posted:

The temptation to setup a conference room named KAMINO that can't be booked and has no location is a big one.

At the very least, it would be fun to do on April Fool's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

AlternateAccount posted:

The temptation to setup a conference room named KAMINO that can't be booked and has no location is a big one.

And set up one called Dantooine but it's actually a long abandoned storeroom.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Last Friday was the other first shift tech's last day. My boss is out Wednesday to Friday this week for a conference. So of course networking and clinical support picked today to do a huge cutover to a new set of switches.

No big deal, we only lost like every label printer in the whole drat hospital and a bunch of regular printers to boot. Oh, and webmail. Outlook isn't affected, but everyone who uses the o365 portal is, and boy are there a lot more of them.

And the second shift tech is apparently hospitalized for something after taking the last two days for PTO.

I'm throwing everything i do that's more substantial than picking up the phone and giving my usual preamble into a ticket. I'm gonna make sure they realize why they had two techs on phones in the first drat place.

Edit: also someone please hire me so i can leave as well

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

And a large one called Katarr, murder everyone in it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just stumbled across a lovely ticket where our secops guys were seeing a user hammer away with an invalid password on a SQL DB, cool good on you doing your job, it's not actually a sec incident but might point our client to harass their software vendor to fix it like I said 8 months ago when I first saw it.

During the course of that ticket, client asked secops why their D: drive on that server is full, it hosts the databases, and the local DB backups, no we did not set this up, customer did not want to pay us for an on-site backup solution for their SQL servers so had the vendor set it up. Secops notified client that log files were eating up a lot of space, and, to be fair they were, what were these log files? If you guessed the transaction logs, you won 10 dollars. So client went and deleted them because the sec guy has no clue with LDF files are and didn't think to ask someone that does know and just gave the client that info.

Now, obviously it's not the end of the world, also, the fact that they aren't being backed up is really half the crux of the issue, the other issue is that they are backing up all the DBs to the same loving drive, the DBs themselves are around 150GB total in size, there are a few other things on that drive and obviously no backing up the transaction logs is causing them to balloon, full backups are failing because the drive is filling up because their backup scheme is not sane (they also doubled their DB count which nearly doubled the storage requirement in the past 9 months). I submitted a change to expand the drive to handle their current setup, which was denied because :reasons:. I was also told a week or two ago that I generate too many change requests; you know what would make me create less? Stop loving poo poo up, deploying things incorrectly and ask our clients to not ask for things and I will stop generating requests.

I loving hate MSP lyfe, please goon that submitted my resume to his company, push your director to hire me; I will not disappoint.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I'm done today.

I work with some of the most helpless people.
Like, here's a link to the file you need
:confused: "I clicked it and it asked for a password WHAT DO I DO" I don't know dipshit, enter the password for the password protected document YOU loving MADE?

:downs: "Hey these emails are blocked"
Yeah they're flagged as spam due to some body matching rules
:jerkbag:"Well I don't know what that is but you're going to lose us a million dollar customer so fix it IMMEDIATELY* CCs manager, VP, SVP, COO"

And my favorite of the day was a lady who looked like the Cryptkeeper's grandmother walking into the IT area, holding a laptop up, and loudly proclaiming "I NEED IT HELP". I guess that's one way to do a walk-up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

duz posted:

And one called Korriban that's really just a bunch of old records, but the thermostat is broken and it's always hot as hell in there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
(probably apocryphal)

Big international company named all the meetings rooms in its North American HQ with names of capital cities.

All perfectly bland and sensible until someone turned up at their Paris office, instead of the small room in New York on the 3rd floor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlternateAccount posted:

And one called Korriban that's really just a bunch of old records, but the thermostat is broken and it's always hot as hell in there.

The eternal wailing really adds to the ambiance of quarterly report meetings.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

spog posted:

(probably apocryphal)

Big international company named all the meetings rooms in its North American HQ with names of capital cities.

All perfectly bland and sensible until someone turned up at their Paris office, instead of the small room in New York on the 3rd floor.

Nice

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also in France

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was there no context in the lead up to the meeting that might have made someone do a double-take before flying to France?

It's still funny though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Claptain posted:

And a large one called Katarr, murder everyone in it.

Dagobah would obviously be one of the bathrooms.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

Was there no context in the lead up to the meeting that might have made someone do a double-take before flying to France?

It's still funny though.

A plausible excuse to expense a trip to Paris ? :getin:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

It's still funny though.

It's not my personal story, so I don't know. But I could easily imagine an email going round saying 'strategy meeting, monday 1st Aug in Paris' and the one guy working out of a different state assumed they were talking about the Paris office, rather than a silly naming system of rooms in the HQ that he's only been to once.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I think I just got reprimanded for admitting that something is broken...

So, like when someone says "hey what's wrong? Is <thing> broke? what am I supposed to say? No :tif:?"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

All or our servers are [site][abbreviation for function]. I've often teased our sysadmin (who has been a friend since before he worked here) that some April Fools Day, I'm going to steal his password and rename all of his servers in cockney rhyming slang.

Also, for my desktop at work, I've just been a boring [username].[domain].edu until today. It's now constantHAMPRINCE.[domain].edu Thank you all for your inspiration.

Weaponized Autism posted:

I spent about 2 months putting together a server naming convention and getting management buy-in, only to result in my own manager not using it and everyone continuing to use hard-coded IPs anyway.
Our AV equipment is set up so that devices can bind to a master controller via url or IP address. I give everything DHCP reservations and point everything to hostnames on a private VLAN. If something goes wrong, I can replace something quickly if it fails, or I can give simple instructions to cross reference a room number with which piece of spare equipment is loaded with the correct code and just switch a MAC address in Infoblox. The main campus still uses static IPs for everything and the contractor that we use is used to that, so I have to remind them to use hostnames and set everything to DHCP. The AV industry is stuck in the past.

The Macaroni posted:

We have one of those. Brand new, they spent a ton of money on it. Started having C-level meetings there. Then they realized that because of the synergistic disruptive "outside of the box" glass walls, everyone else walking by the area can see what's on the big conference screen.

So they just spent a bunch more money to put some kind of privacy film on the glass walls which still allows you to see the important people meeting there, but makes the screens unreadable. A pity, I was kind of hoping to be the first to see a Powerpoint talking about corporate restructuring.
If the screens look like they're blacked out, that's polarized film.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GWBBQ posted:

Would a polarized screen or glasses then defeat that film?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Oh, wait, I forgot the best ticket of the day.

"Do you know the combination to the safe in the fitness center? Can you open it?"

I walked down to the fitness center, dragged the safe over to in front of a couch, and poked at the buttons for a couple of minutes with the obvious guesses. No luck there. From the looks of it, it's been beaten to poo poo, not sure if it was mishandled or someone tried to bounce it (consumer grade Sentry safe). Rather than trying anything fancy, I looked over at the file cabinets, stood up (reluctantly, I'd been running from classroom to classroom for hours), and skimmed through drawers until I found an envelope with the Sentry logo all over it. Punched in the factory default code, heard the servo click, and the handle wouldn't budge. Yeah, someone definitely tried to bounce it and I have a plausible explanation for the dumbbell-sized dent in the top over the locking mechanism.

I offered to bring in my angle grinder and open it (consumer grade fire safes are 3/16" steel wrapped around styrofoam) and the person in charge said yes, but facilities said I'm not allowed to because IT people should be doing IT work rather than cutting safes open.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zil posted:

Would a polarized screen or glasses then defeat that film?

Nope, polarize 90 degrees to the panel and the light is gone.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GWBBQ posted:

drat there goes my fledgling corporate espionage business.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GWBBQ posted:

I offered to bring in my angle grinder and open it (consumer grade fire safes are 3/16" steel wrapped around styrofoam) and the person in charge said yes, but facilities said I'm not allowed to because IT people should be doing IT work rather than cutting safes open.

Pfft these people don't know IT clearly.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

MF_James posted:

Pfft these people don't know IT clearly.
Someone higher up seems to have overruled him. She wants a turn with the grinder.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Someone higher up seems to have overruled him. She wants a turn with the grinder.

I can't blame them. It's not every day that you get to brag about cracking a safe.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

If you could put another polarizing filter in an inconspicuous place inside the room, maybe directly attached to the window, at 45 degrees, you'd have a nice peephole.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If you could put another polarizing filter in an inconspicuous place inside the room, maybe directly attached to the window, at 45 degrees, you'd have a nice peephole.

This is one of my favorite physics oddities.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

I love everything about this post

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GWBBQ posted:

but facilities said I'm not allowed to because IT people should be doing IT work
gently caress I wish I worked there. Facilities here are basically on call, and Operations just monitor their poo poo and call them... "Highly technical role" my rear end. Apparently someone sued over this and won too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Developers push code overnight (normal process)
Load spikes once business starts (load-average 254 on a 16-core box)
Developers send email about system monitor alert "Do we know what happened to cause this"

It's not nice to punch people in the head for being stupid, sadly.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Developers send email about system monitor alert "Do we know what happened to cause this"

I just walked in to this conference call, turned around and walked out to get breakfast. I can't wait to stop supporting these devs.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

"What was the most recent change?" ... "I suggest you start there."

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Of all the reasons I evangelize containers around the office, ease of backing out a new release is #1.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

"What was the most recent change?" ... "I suggest you start there."

I had people get pissed at me during an outage call last year because I kept asking "Ok, if this started at midnight, what changed?" over and over. Eventually someone got the loving hint and checked one of the servers involved. Surprise! It was rebooted at, get this, midnight. All the config changes that had been made previously were not made permanent so they reverted to defaults when it came back online.

I don't ask "What changed?" because I get off on it. I ask it because SOMETHING loving CHANGED.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was just reminded of a multi-part fuckup on the part of Desktop Support a couple of years ago. I get a ticket for a printer that went super faint on all the output after changing the toner cartridge. I arrange access, since it's in a secure area.

I get there and the first thing I see is the transfer roller sitting on the table next to the printer. That should be inside the printer ! So I pull the toner cartridge to replace the roller, and while I have the toner cartridge I pull the tape out, because of course that's what it was.

The printer is up and printing fine, but it's not on the network when I have someone do a test print. Check the configuration, and it looks like someone reset it to factory defaults. Asking around, it turns out they've had three Deskside techs come out.

#1 - Installed the toner cartridge, didn't pull the tape.
#2 - Did some mental gymnastics that led to removing a part and not putting it back.
#3 - Didn't notice the part Just loving Sitting There, reset it to defaults, threw up their hands, and escalated to my group.

All three of those techs are FTEs and make more than I, a lowly contractor, do.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

mllaneza posted:

I was just reminded of a multi-part fuckup on the part of Desktop Support a couple of years ago. I get a ticket for a printer that went super faint on all the output after changing the toner cartridge. I arrange access, since it's in a secure area.

I get there and the first thing I see is the transfer roller sitting on the table next to the printer. That should be inside the printer ! So I pull the toner cartridge to replace the roller, and while I have the toner cartridge I pull the tape out, because of course that's what it was.

The printer is up and printing fine, but it's not on the network when I have someone do a test print. Check the configuration, and it looks like someone reset it to factory defaults. Asking around, it turns out they've had three Deskside techs come out.

#2 - Did some mental gymnastics that led to removing a part and not putting it back.
#3 - Didn't notice the part Just loving Sitting There, reset it to defaults, threw up their hands, and escalated to my group.

in their defense, gently caress printers

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Desktop Support shouldn't be trying to fix a printer! gently caress printers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlexDeGruven posted:

We had something similar with a client.

On the 4th or 5th time in a month I had the pleasure of one of our management getting on the call and yelling at them. Unprofessional as poo poo, but he was on my side so I was able to find it really funny.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

GWBBQ posted:

Indeed. Well, I learned something today! Also apparently doesn't cost that much, but I still find the whole thing funny.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

I had people get pissed at me during an outage call last year because I kept asking "Ok, if this started at midnight, what changed?" over and over. Eventually someone got the loving hint and checked one of the servers involved. Surprise! It was rebooted at, get this, midnight. All the config changes that had been made previously were not made permanent so they reverted to defaults when it came back online.

I don't ask "What changed?" because I get off on it. I ask it because SOMETHING loving CHANGED.

I am sure they all came to you later and apologised for their bad attitude and shared their gratitde for your help and I can't keep a straight face anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

spog posted:

I am sure they all came to you later and apologised for their bad attitude and shared their gratitde for your help and I can't keep a straight face anymore.

lol, you had me for about 20 sec