Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

Does anyone have one of those spinning media towers? The shelf I keep my movies in is about full and I don't feel like using more wall space in my apartment.

sounds like it’s time for a new apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

sounds like it’s time for a new apartment
If I was paying much more I'd just buy a house.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

If I was paying much more I'd just buy a house.

Sounds like it’s time for a house.

Does anyone have this Dawn of the Dead set?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dawn-of-the-Dead-4K-Blu-ray/164353/
It’s region-free, but I’m curious if the menus and stuff are in English and if the transfer is any good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If it’s new it’s likely a bootleg, as the guy who owns the rights is charging a highly inflated amount for it, which is why it’s out of print. The old Dawn blu from before the rights owner tried to gouge people for it was supposedly pretty good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Xenomrph posted:

It’s region-free, but I’m curious if the menus and stuff are in English and if the transfer is any good.

Looking at the Italian Amazon page here it says it has English audio but no subtitles. It might be that only the 4K UHD disc is region free (because there isn't any region encoding on those?) so the blu-ray edition might be locked; similarly, only the European cut has a 4K remaster, so on the UHD edition only 1 out of 6 discs is a UHD and therefore completely guaranteed to be region free (and the back of the box image on Amazon says UHD is Region ABC, Blu is Region B).

Reading the blu-ray.com forums makes it seem like a bit of a clusterfuck, though, with some relatively recent purchases still requiring to send away for replacement discs due to a framing issue, but it seems to be legit. I also assume that some prestige label is just going to bite the bullet and pay the licensing fee at some point, so unless you really need just that one single cut in UHD it'd probably be easier to wait it out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

business hammocks posted:

If it’s new it’s likely a bootleg, as the guy who owns the rights is charging a highly inflated amount for it, which is why it’s out of print. The old Dawn blu from before the rights owner tried to gouge people for it was supposedly pretty good.

I own the Anchor Bay release and it is quite good. Absolutely worth buying if you find it at a reasonable price. I haven't seen other blu-rays of it but I suspect that this one might be the best of the bunch.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 27, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Finally getting around to watching Wonder Women, and it's definitely weird to hear the full music from the Vinegar Syndrome title card

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

It's legit. DVD Beaver has a review up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Now that Disney is buying Fox is there any possibility we'll get blu-rays for the rest of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Now that Disney is buying Fox is there any possibility we'll get blu-rays for the rest of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

The fact that Disney let Shout! do blurays for Gravity Falls means I'll believe anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it wasn’t for the official Blu-ray spec people forbidding it, you could probably put all the SD seasons of Always Sunny on a single BD disc with a nice nitrate. Stupid specs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/TheJovenshire/status/1032324784984485888?s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I may be a weirdo, but at least I'm not that guy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The weirdest packaging related thing I've had is that The Matrix 4k came out earlier this year, so I bought it. But then I see now that the full trilogy is getting steelbooks when Reloaded and Revolutions come out, so I'm a bit annoyed that my copy of Matrix 4k is just the regular plastic case.

So what I've been considering is picking up their steelbook blu ray, which is now redundant with the 4k versions out and so they're selling it for like 10 bucks. So I'd literally be paying $10 for a steelbook case.

I haven't actually done it, I'm thinking about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
one of the Matrix films was good

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

one of the Matrix films was good

I enjoy the sequels enough that I want to own them in 4k. They have good memories associated with them, regardless of the flaws.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like steelbooks in theory, but I always find them dented, or you buy them and the plastic hinges instantly break, and they take up just enough extra width to make shelving a pain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EL BROMANCE posted:

If it wasn’t for the official Blu-ray spec people forbidding it, you could probably put all the SD seasons of Always Sunny on a single BD disc with a nice nitrate. Stupid specs.

Could you elaborate on that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It came up elsewhere but I’m struggling to find it, but as part of licensing apparently you can’t have the main feature of a disc be standard definition. Probably due to thinking people will get confused over such things. So rather than getting cool single disc editions of things that were shot in SD rather than big clunky DVD boxsets, it doesn’t happen. It’s probably why things like 28 Days Later and a few other titles are upscales from the original resolution.

It would be even better now with UHD discs and a further leap in encoding formats since MPEG-2 ruled over all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IUG posted:

The fact that Disney let Shout! do blurays for Gravity Falls means I'll believe anything.

I can't believe what shotty treatment such a big show has gotten. Seasons 1-4 being DVD only is understandable because that stuff was SD in its native presentation and the cast themselves have said that the early seasons were made on shoestring budgets and aren't going to look much better than they do on the DVDs. But the out of seasons 5-12 only four of those are on blu-ray, with season 11 and 12 being those made on demand discs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It came up elsewhere but I’m struggling to find it, but as part of licensing apparently you can’t have the main feature of a disc be standard definition. Probably due to thinking people will get confused over such things. So rather than getting cool single disc editions of things that were shot in SD rather than big clunky DVD boxsets, it doesn’t happen. It’s probably why things like 28 Days Later and a few other titles are upscales from the original resolution.

It would be even better now with UHD discs and a further leap in encoding formats since MPEG-2 ruled over all.

I have to say I agree with this rule. Think about how irritating and confusing it would be to have labels putting out SD content on Blu-ray. We'd have interminable conversations about "real Blu-ray" vs "fake Blu-ray". I sleep easy knowing that Blu-ray = HD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, early buyers of Universal's Classic Monster set and Creature set have found that Revenge of the Creature was encoded wrong. Instead of MVC, it was encoded as side-by-side at a ridiculously low bitrate - looks like some word should come eventually on it since Revenge got a full 4K 3-D restoration from the negatives.

Also, this is the last day of Milestone's Blu-ray sale:
https://milestonefilms.com/collecti...-230373621&ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_6_11_2018_11_47_COPY_01)&mc_cid=03fd8c59cd&mc_eid=3be5d2268d

I can't stress enough how essential the four Shirley Clarke releases are - The Connection, Portrait of Jason, Ornette: Made in America, and The Magic Box (short films, home movies, and experimental work). Also, the Blu-ray for Film (Buster Keaton starring in a Samuel Beckett-written short) includes a kinescope of Waiting for Godot starring Zero Mostel.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pardon my 3D ignorance, but what does it mean that it's encoded side by side? What are people seeing?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I have to say I agree with this rule. Think about how irritating and confusing it would be to have labels putting out SD content on Blu-ray. We'd have interminable conversations about "real Blu-ray" vs "fake Blu-ray". I sleep easy knowing that Blu-ray = HD.

It would be nice to have that guarantee, but as EL BROMANCE pointed out with 28 Days Later, Blu-ray doesn't necessarily equal HD because distributors put out discs that are just upscales of SD sources.

Also, there do seem to be Blu-rays that are literally just SD content. Search for "SD Blu-ray." They're rare, but it doesn't seem to be the case that there's a blanket ban on shoving a bunch of SD content on a Blu-ray.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Pardon my 3D ignorance, but what does it mean that it's encoded side by side? What are people seeing?

The image for each eye is compressed vertically to fit side by side in a frame, so half vertical resolution when the TV stretches the image back out.
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjxd3TxQ-s0

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The other cool use for side by side is if you play video games in 2 player mode and they do a split screen, you can get glasses that’ll then show you only your screen taking up the full screen.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Back when I was trying to watch 3D movies on my Oculus Rift, I had to rip the blu rays and encode them in side by side.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Ugh, I could tell stories for a while about the pain of cutting 3D features using side by side media in Avid Media Composer in the early days when the tech debuted. Huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: also compositing with it in MC - which MC is pretty good at, actually for standard media, but which was a special kind of hell with side by side.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 31, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I missed 3D TVs, now you can't usually get that as a feature anymore. Shame because I've got some Blu-Rays that have 3D that I'd like to see. House of Wax, Hugo, The Cave of Forgotten Dreams whose main gimmick is 3D...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Half of the reason I won't sell my stupid PSVR set is having something to watch 3D blurays on.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot psvr can watch 3D movies. Any you guys highly recommend in terms of cool and cheesy?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Are there any blu-rays where the movies have the old red-blue 3D instead of RealD?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Almost Blue posted:

Are there any blu-rays where the movies have the old red-blue 3D instead of RealD?

Jackass 3D comes with two pairs of Jackass branded red-blue glasses.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

It's worth noting that only a handful of 3-D movies were originally presented in anaglyph instead of polarized. All the 50s ones were polarized 3-D (dual strip) and even the 70s and 80s ones were polarized.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I, Butthole posted:

Jackass 3D comes with two pairs of Jackass branded red-blue glasses.

I still pine for a 3D version of Jackass 3D, it would take it to the next level.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Friday the 13th Part 3 comes with those. It looks awful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boywhiz88 posted:

I still pine for a 3D version of Jackass 3D, it would take it to the next level.

In the cinema, the bit with the bees was crazy. It’s definitely amongst the best 3D movies I’ve seen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I forgot psvr can watch 3D movies. Any you guys highly recommend in terms of cool and cheesy?

Blind-buy Gaspar Noe's Love ;)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I recently smashed down way too much money on one of the new LG OLED TVs (Jesus loving Christ it's good) and now I'm wondering if there's any reason I should get a dedicated 4K player as just buying an Xbox One X and using that as my player as well as for gaming.

I hear all kinds of conflicting things about proper HDR and Dolby Vision support on different players and it's all kind of gibberish to me.

Also what is the single best film currently available in 4K and HDR that would demonstrate the capabilities of a bomb new TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ve heard Annihilation is loving gorgeous w HDR.