Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Jon Bois is a maverick:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1034999042990923776?s=20

This is a hot take I gotta have a sit down for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I am reminded that it's been several months since the last Chart Party and now I'm sad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's possible to have irresponsible hotel sex without wearing a 10kg rug.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

i used to hate furries but then I grew up and got some perspective on the world and figured out there were a lot more things more deserving of my energy. who cares if people gently caress in suits

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I wouldn't go so far as to call them "cool," but they always struck me as relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things. Like the worst thing about them was the "we can't kick out creepos" stuff, which they're apparently working on now? Also furries are a great source of hilariously bizarre fetishes, so that's an overall good in my book. Mostly they have the same issues as regular stupid nerd groups, just looking like someone tie-dyed the Island of Dr Moreau.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Movies with Mikey: Let's Talk about Thanos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Skq8UtJpY

He kicks down the hornet's nest with this one. Which is a shame because he makes a lot of good points with this one.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I feel how it shakes out is that dressing up like a cartoon animal to gently caress is not really "cool", but giving a gently caress about how people get their rocks off in their own time? Buddy that's even less cool

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

TheHeadSage posted:

I am reminded that it's been several months since the last Chart Party and now I'm sad.
It's not Jon Bois, and it's sportsball-focused, but SB Nation made a pretty great documentary series about the NCAA "amateur" sports system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qm-P2foSE4

Puppy Time posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to call them "cool," but they always struck me as relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things. Like the worst thing about them was the "we can't kick out creepos" stuff, which they're apparently working on now? Also furries are a great source of hilariously bizarre fetishes, so that's an overall good in my book. Mostly they have the same issues as regular stupid nerd groups, just looking like someone tie-dyed the Island of Dr Moreau.
Really, the goofy and ridiculous fetishes seem to let you have a lot more fun than the super srs ones, so whatever floats the boat of consenting adults is their own business.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

stillvisions posted:

It's not Jon Bois, and it's sportsball-focused, but SB Nation made a pretty great documentary series about the NCAA "amateur" sports system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qm-P2foSE4

I'll check that out, I've just finished watching SB Nation's rewind series, which was fascinating because I know nothing about US sports and the lore surrounding them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Furries are like any other subculture. The ones that get the most attention are outliers to some extent and there's likely a large number of perfectly functional, not-weird furries out there. Especially since it's such a large umbrella at this point.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

John Murdoch posted:

Furries are like any other subculture. The ones that get the most attention are outliers to some extent and there's likely a large number of perfectly functional, not-weird furries out there. Especially since it's such a large umbrella at this point.

My long-standing theory of people in a subculture is this: in regular life, about 5% of people are terrible, 90% are neither here nor there to you*, and 5% are really neat. When you're in a subculture that isn't inherently lovely by its membership now 10% of people are terrible, 80% of people are neither here nor there, and 10% are really neat. Subculture tends to pull more people to the tails of the normal distribution, that's all.

Also, in any subculture, the highly effective ones know to keep out of the spotlight lest they lose their day job.

*no, this isn't the trite "normal people suck" Hot Topic decal sentiment, just that these people have lives and interests that aren't anything that's meaningful to you, that's all. It's the guy you say hi to and make small talk with when you get to work in the morning and never think of meeting outside the office.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828&t

New Hbomberguy video. I've never been into speedruns, but now I feel like watching some.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

No.1 Special posted:

Movies with Mikey: Let's Talk about Thanos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Skq8UtJpY

He kicks down the hornet's nest with this one. Which is a shame because he makes a lot of good points with this one.

He makes a lot of the points I brought up in a piece that I wrote about why I hated Infinity War, mainly surrounding how hollow Thanos is and how the defenses of him as the "hero" are made in both bad faith and poor taste. Although he seems to be approaching it from a reader-response sort of angle, where the traumatic events of the movie aren't really welcome, and concedes that the movie is well made - which is something I'd have to object to. It's not just that Infinity War lacks much in the way of an actual narrative - the film ignores the 18 movies of set-up that (supposedly) justify its existence as an event movie (if we're to accept that as a thing). Consequences and character arcs from previous films are either ignored or ruined. Like, even as a fanservice piece I don't think the movie meets its mark because it's just so incurious and lazy that it fails to meet even the low bar of a decent superhero action extravaganza.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
furries are cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So the “abuse=love” thing is kinda weird to me, because it seems to hinge on a pretty oversimplistic view of abuse? Abuse is not just inflicting physical harm, it’s also emotional harm. It would be so simple if there were no genuine feelings involved on either side but that’s rarely the case. Love isn’t a magical redeeming thing that makes everything better. It can be the motive for abuse. The world is full of people who think they know best and that they’re helping people by putting them through horrible suffering.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Beefstew posted:

He makes a lot of the points I brought up in a piece that I wrote about why I hated Infinity War, mainly surrounding how hollow Thanos is and how the defenses of him as the "hero" are made in both bad faith and poor taste.
I haven't watched the video yet but the section on Thanos in your piece describes the problem I had with him to a T.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Lindsay has a new (pretty humorous) video on the death of the movie musical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8o7LzGqc3E

Oh, and for another laugh, the $6 they were charging for Camelot in 1967 is equivalent to $45 today.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SimonChris posted:

New Hbomberguy video. I've never been into speedruns, but now I feel like watching some.

Great video!

(Seriously though, the only time I ever thought about quitting video games is when I beat DK64 100+% and sadly I did not get over my completionist tendencies until way later)

Mr.Radar posted:

Lindsay has a new (pretty humorous) video on the death of the movie musical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8o7LzGqc3E

Oh, and for another laugh, the $6 they were charging for Camelot in 1967 is equivalent to $45 today.

45 dollars to see a movie? How could it fail!?

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I think furries in the 90s and 00s were a little closer to the "bad" edge, just because the community tendency was to emphasize acceptance and loyalty over anything else, and so many of them had trouble with social mores and boundaries (either comprehending or accepting). It was an unusual situation just because furries in general tend to attract people who feel really, really detached from being a human. Sort of an Overton Window of crappy behavior.

You do see a similar issue in a lot of geek subcultures, but I think the furry emphasis on being something not human led to more outliers than normal.

Like I said before, though, the community seems to be picking up on the problem with that, and doing some housecleaning, plus mostly it's still vaguely OK people who are just weird and/or just like weird animal-human abominations. :v:

Tired Moritz posted:

furries are cool

Not in those suits, they aren't! Even with a fan installed, that poo poo's gotta be miserable.

EDIT:

Augus posted:

So the “abuse=love” thing is kinda weird to me, because it seems to hinge on a pretty oversimplistic view of abuse? Abuse is not just inflicting physical harm, it’s also emotional harm. It would be so simple if there were no genuine feelings involved on either side but that’s rarely the case. Love isn’t a magical redeeming thing that makes everything better. It can be the motive for abuse. The world is full of people who think they know best and that they’re helping people by putting them through horrible suffering.

I mean, he makes the point that it's giving that message to the audience, many of whom are children (or otherwise have oversimplistic views), so I think the point stands.

Also I haven't seen the film but from what bits I've seen it doesn't seem like it's exactly the kind of nuanced and well-thought-out writing that would be required to make the "abuse can stem from love" point well.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 31, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SimonChris posted:

speedrunning and this video are dope

that said, in response to the last 5 minutes of the video I have a suggestion for my boy hbomb: you should check out sports as well! the whole narration about the zelda runner and everything reminds me of, say, one run down, bottom ninth, two outs; or a free kick 25 yards out in the 89th minute in a draw game; a faceoff in NHL overtime, etc etc

part of what I, too love about speedrunning is the passion, and if you're a lover of passion and personal stakes, it's hard to beat sports (even esports!)

more nerds should watch sports they're good

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I think furries in the 90s and 00s were a little closer to the "bad" edge, just because the community tendency was to emphasize acceptance and loyalty over anything else, and so many of them had trouble with social mores and boundaries (either comprehending or accepting). It was an unusual situation just because furries in general tend to attract people who feel really, really detached from being a human. Sort of an Overton Window of crappy behavior.

You do see a similar issue in a lot of geek subcultures, but I think the furry emphasis on being something not human led to more outliers than normal.

Like I said before, though, the community seems to be picking up on the problem with that, and doing some housecleaning, plus mostly it's still vaguely OK people who are just weird and/or just like weird animal-human abominations. :v:

From what I know, furries grew out of an amalgamated culture combining geeky interest and kinksters under one community. There was a lot of growing pain around this, including a reactionary movement within that wanted to return to an age before the kink that never existed and expel "deviancy" (read: the LGBT folks furries quietly supported and provided a space for from the beginning).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

From what I know, furries grew out of an amalgamated culture combining geeky interest and kinksters under one community. There was a lot of growing pain around this, including a reactionary movement within that wanted to return to an age before the kink that never existed and expel "deviancy" (read: the LGBT folks furries quietly supported and provided a space for from the beginning).

I think that's more early 90s and before; my observations were from later, just because that's when I had the closest contact with people in the fandom. (And also I think the time when most internet people encountered furries.)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Philosophy Tube has a new video about Elon Musk, the archetype he represents, counterculture, and (of course) capitalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnlhmaM-dM

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Waffles Inc. posted:

speedrunning and this video are dope

that said, in response to the last 5 minutes of the video I have a suggestion for my boy hbomb: you should check out sports as well! the whole narration about the zelda runner and everything reminds me of, say, one run down, bottom ninth, two outs; or a free kick 25 yards out in the 89th minute in a draw game; a faceoff in NHL overtime, etc etc

part of what I, too love about speedrunning is the passion, and if you're a lover of passion and personal stakes, it's hard to beat sports (even esports!)

more nerds should watch sports they're good

I really like Jon Bois' videos, which kinda manage to show me how much fun being really into sports can be, and I'm glad someone did that for me.

I'm still more into poker and chess but there we go

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I loved the speedrun vid. I'm glad you managed to stay positive. I'm really cynical about speedrunning sometimes just because of issue after issue with some things, especially transphobia and other bigotry. I'm always worried about watching people who cover speedrunning because I'm just waiting for them to deadname someone in their next video (usually Narcissa), but you're right that a lot of it is very collective and beautiful in the way you describe.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I really like Jon Bois' videos, which kinda manage to show me how much fun being really into sports can be, and I'm glad someone did that for me.

if you beat me at chess I will let you and only you poo poo up this thread with star wars opinions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

if you beat me at chess I will let you and only you poo poo up this thread with star wars opinions

This is like an Ingmar Bergman-level challenge. But make sure it’s DOS Battle Chess.

Also, I’ll fiddle-challenge you for the right to talk about Zack Snyder.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The speedrun video's one of your best yet, Hbomb. Well played indeed. I look forward to seeing your agony as you get deep into DK 64.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

business hammocks posted:

This is like an Ingmar Bergman-level challenge. But make sure it’s DOS Battle Chess.

Also, I’ll fiddle-challenge you for the right to talk about Zack Snyder.

Except instead of Chess it's Archon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna try and draw hbomberguy a new avatar.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

:hfive:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Nick nocturn's full apology

Feel it needs to be posted since there was so much discussion of the incident

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

A few months ago I released a video on my 260-hour playthrough through La-Mulana, a very challenging Metroidvania game I chose to play without a guide.

I completed La-Mulana 2 in the same fashion. This is the story about the struggles I faced while I played and beat La-Mulana 2 without any kind of guide.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

CYBEReris posted:

I follow some furries on twitter and it's kinda both. The impression I get is furries wanted to be inclusive, and the result of that was them being inclusive of or even having admiration for some pretty terrible people. Now those people complain because people don't want them around anymore.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It starts out as a good apology, though at the end he slipped into getting defensive and then self-flagellating and martyrish, which is never a good choice in apologies. Still, his heart seems in the right place and he seems to understand what he did wrong, so one can hope that he'll learn from this and get better. Also very glad to see he's taking down old videos involving May pre-transition.

And, man, I wish the internet could quit breaking out the threats in response to people doing bad things. Or just in general.

ETA:

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I follow some furries on twitter and it's kinda both. The impression I get is furries wanted to be inclusive, and the result of that was them being inclusive of or even having admiration for some pretty terrible people. Now those people complain because people don't want them around anymore.

If you want an example of how insanely tolerant and inclusive furries often were, check out the Nekobe story. Behavior that would've gotten a dude kicked out in five minutes by someone with boundaries is instead not just tolerated but occasionally rewarded, all in an effort to be compassionate.

I'll stress that this mostly just led to furries hurting furries, and the worst that any non-furry got was mostly seeing uncomfortable weirdness when there were large groups of them somewhere. Much like LARPers, really.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 31, 2018

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't watched the video yet but the section on Thanos in your piece describes the problem I had with him to a T.

Thank you! I appreciate you reading my dumb, rambling nonsense. And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had issues with the film.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I hate the fact that him repeatedly telling his fans to not harass May is something I find refreshing instead of standard. drat internet. At least this apology indicates that he won't go the way of ComicsGate or whatever loving -gate the chuds are using these days.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Dan's 50 Shades Darker video is out! :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjViIRWesQ0

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My entire experience of the 50 Shades films is about 40 minutes of Darker that I watched on a whim one evening. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected - the leads were cute enough - but also just completely pointless and strange. And I got out before things got *really* peculiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Junpei Hyde posted:

We're doing that.

Also I reopened the doc with the half-finished prequel defense script today. It's such a weird project to figure out how to execute in the best way.