Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
We just moved a while ago.. he was having a rough time for a little bit.

He seems to have settled in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That is a very handsome gentleman. :3:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
He is very polite, and nice!

Every time he jumps into my lap, he ducks his head down so I can kiss him on the head.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Today is my third anniversary of getting Oscar from the shelter!

Here is the first picture I was able to take of him after he spent three breathless minutes darting around the living room scent-marking every leg of the coffee table and other outward-facing corner surface that my previous cat used to mark.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

This pretty boy just started showing up on my porch today. He's the third stray porchcat to start hanging out here. Another one's on the right; the middle one is my neighbor's.

Here's Summer, an elderly cat I've had since I was in grade school. Suka's looking at him like she wants to start poo poo; she's orange in places, I swear.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

Today is my third anniversary of getting Oscar from the shelter!

Here is the first picture I was able to take of him after he spent three breathless minutes darting around the living room scent-marking every leg of the coffee table and other outward-facing corner surface that my previous cat used to mark.

Such a majestic floof!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Agreed! Also my first cat (who, was not orange, but a wonderful Maine Coon. Who I still miss to this day) was named Oscar. It's a good name for good boys.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hello this is Tater.

We've had him for about two months. He used to be a hardware store's mouser. They think he's about a year old.

He does not like to snuggle but he does love greeting me when I come home.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
goddamn it tater

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Thank you for sharing Tater.

He owns a lot and will likely be 80% wonderful companion and 20% pain in the rear end to you as long as he lives.

Eventually he will find the most inconvenient time to snuggle with you and you will be powerless to resist.

This is the Way Of The Orange Dudecat.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
*High fives for the fellow Orange Cat Named After Food Bro*

Tater looks adorable! I'd share with you some of Nacho's snuggles.. he has far too many to give.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

PicklePants posted:

*High fives for the fellow Orange Cat Named After Food Bro*

Tater looks adorable! I'd share with you some of Nacho's snuggles.. he has far too many to give.

He's actually named after home runs in baseball but it also works if you're more into food than sports :ssh:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I have.. never heard that expression before, for baseball. I learned something new!

An orange baseball buddy, is still a good orange buddy!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Thank you for sharing Tater.

He owns a lot and will likely be 80% wonderful companion and 20% pain in the rear end to you as long as he lives.

Eventually he will find the most inconvenient time to snuggle with you and you will be powerless to resist.

This is the Way Of The Orange Dudecat.

My Ty was one of those cats who couldn't sleep with you, he slept on you. I tend to sleep on my side and I'd always end up with a purring cat perched on my shoulder or hip.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
There was a moth

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Geolicious posted:

There was a moth

Recently woke up at 3am to cats jumping on my face because apparently a moth got in and was flying over the bed.

It's one thing if it was just the tiny kitten, but the huge 17lb ginger bastard was the one jumping on me.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Recently woke up at 3am to cats jumping on my face because apparently a moth got in and was flying over the bed.

It's one thing if it was just the tiny kitten, but the huge 17lb ginger bastard was the one jumping on me.

Had a similar 3 AM experience when they found a millipede. It was a 5 Alarm situation apparently.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Denied him chips

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Why would you deny that good orange cat chips?

I made a plastic bag cat bed on the love seat for Oscar, he seems to enjoy it.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
That is the "let her on the drat couch you monster" of the cat world, goddamn. Poor little guy.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
This is a kindof happy and mostly sad orange cat story.

Last Tuesday, my 6yo daughter came running in the house. "Dad, there's a cat in our garage!" Wife goes outside, and finds this matted ball of cute flopped over on the floor begging for belly rubs. We're positive he's someone's pet as he's a completely loveball with both the kids, so they pack him in the car and go up to the vet to check for a chip. No dice on the chip, but they flea and ear mite treat him at no charge, take some pictures for their lost and found board, and he comes back home. He must have been an absolute unit at one point, as you can see the skin hanging off him and feel his bones, but he still weighs in at 14#. Kids decide to name him Thomas.

"Help me, I'm homeless"

We originally set him up in my daughters room, but it's small and cramped and we started worrying about quarantine with our other cats, so we moved him back into the garage after she fell asleep. He's even eating like a king since we have a bunch of canned food we can't give ours anymore (old orange guy OJ is on SO/Hydrolyzed Protein for stones and allergies and can't eat anything else, so noone else gets to either). Put pictures up on Facebook and Nextdoor and a few people are sure he's their cat, come over, not him. In the meantime we've been leaving the garage door cracked so he can come and go as he pleases if he wants, but he never seems to leave. Free room and board and free food, I wouldn't leave either.

"Give me belly rubs"

Except when the kids are outside playing in the culdesac. Then he's laying at the end of the driveway watching our 10yo shoot Nerf guns and play kickball, or literally chasing our 6yo while she's on her scooter like a dog. Always goes back in the garage when they come inside though. Made himself a bed in a cubby in my workbench that's half blocked by a shelf.

So it's a week since he's been here, and we're losing hope that anyone is going to claim him. My wife starts worrying because he's seems to have stopped eating unless someone is actually out in the garage with him, so last night, we brought him inside, gave him a bath (no wounds on us or really any complaining from him. He tried to drink from the drain WHILE we were hosing him off), and cut the larger mats off him. He's going to need a shave, it's pretty much dreadlocks at this point. We set up a litterbox and a makeshift bed in our sons room, which is larger and somewhat easier to quarantine. About 30 minutes later, he's banging on the door to come out, so I go pet him for a bit, then demonstrate how to use the stairs we built so the other cats can get up in our son's 6' high loft bed. He plopped right down next to Jr, and hilariously, our son started petting him in his sleep when Thomas would rub on his hand.

"Neck scratches are awesome too!"

This morning we go in, thinking of the horrors we're going to find with pee and poo in his bed, but nope, Thomas has mastered stairs and is back asleep in our son's bed with a couple latrine trips in the box. We're kindof resigned to making him cat #5 at this point, or at least getting him fixed up enough that someone else will adopt him, so we make a regular vet appointment to see what the $$$ damage is going to get him groomed, take care of his nasty teeth, and drain/stitch what looks like a cyst/abscess on his side.

Sad story time.

"I'm handsome like that Ryan Reynolds guy. Maybe they can make me regenerate like Deadpool!"

Our vet is extremely awesome. Took care of Jack through his end stage FeLV (non-contagious carrier) 11 years ago, Frankenkitty through his lower bowel cancer 7 years ago, and Hershey through her renal failure 4 years ago, and is currently working with OJ's stones and allergies, Donnie's stomatitis extractions, and now Eevee's cystitis (what's it like having healthy cats, btw?). Originally says he's probably 12-15 years old. Checks the mass on his side, pokes around and squeezes. Not a cyst or an abscess, possibly cancer. Starts checking his belly. Finds a mass the size of her fist, can't tell if it's intestinal, liver or spleen. Almost definitely cancer. Revises age to 15+, and we start talking about a palliative care plan. Then she draws blood for a combo test. Comes back positive for FeLV, and now we have to decide whether we even take him home at all. :(

So we made the decision to bring him home under strict quarantine and hospice care. If it's intestinal cancer, it's large enough to go at any time, and he's probably looking at 1-4 weeks. Liver or spleen, 3 months at the outside. As best as we can figure given his overall condition, he's been outside since early spring, and he would have been pretty sick by then already, so we think his previous owners found out he was sick and dumped him.

So he's currently locked in our son's room with a litterbox, Rx recovery food and as much water as he can drink, and doing his best teddy bear impression up in Jr's bed. We're going to give him as much grooming as he'll stand to get the mats out (his fur is so pretty after his bath!) and keep him as comfortable and loved as we can for as long as he has left. He's too sweet to just get put out the door, and whoever did that to him is a horrible person.

"Is this what a home is like?" (taken while writing this post)

Gonna go cry now.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 31, 2018

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

This isn't fair. :cry:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

This happened with my sister and her family a few years ago. Totally awesome cat showed up, they took her in, and it turns out that the cat had tumors and someone dumped it.

People suck most of the time.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

CommanderApaul you're a super good person, and thank you for taking care of that lovely gent in the last weeks of his life. He's gonna die happy and loved and that's the best anyone can hope for.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

cat_herder posted:

CommanderApaul you're a super good person, and thank you for taking care of that lovely gent in the last weeks of his life. He's gonna die happy and loved and that's the best anyone can hope for.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Family used to have 2 cats, an orange tabby that we suspect was from a neighbor who got whisked away to an old-folks home, and a dark grey tabby from a shelter. They were great cats.

Fast forward about a decade after the last cat died, and this girl wanders around into my life. This is Buddy, because girls can be buddies too. And I had no idea what to call her.

So the complex I live in has a large stray tuxedo cat family, and Buddy here was certainly not part of the family. So she got chased and hissed/bullied a lot. However when the complex kids were playing around, she was exceedingly sweet and gentle with them. I had contemplated adopting one of the tuxes, but they seemed to take all the good perches, and Buddy here was left to fend for herself in the sparse bushes.

A big rainstorm hit the area, and I took a moment to look outside, and sure enough Buddy was looking for better shelter. I let her inside.

She knew what a food bowl was, knew what dry food was, and knew how to use a litter box. I was sold on getting her to the vet at the very least, maybe she was a lost cat. She had a docked ear, so I suspected she was already fixed.

Find out at the vet she was a 5 year old she (vet asked if her name would change, I pondered alternatives but Buddy stuck), and was already chipped. But the chip was from one of the local humane societies, and did not have an owner attached to the chip. If I wasn't already, the fact that so many procedures had already been done that saved me the cost of doing it on my own time and dime really sold me on adoption. Some inoculations and ear cleaning later, she was officially my cat.

The weird thing was I had a little plush cat that looked exactly like her. It was from a previous human relationship. Buddy tolerates it publicly, but I've seen her clean and cuddle with it a few times.

Figuring she was used to being outside, I've let her hang out on the porch. She loves lemongrass and chives, though I've discouraged her from eating the latter. Sometimes she'll chew up newts or moths she catches, but she doesn't eat them anymore. I think having a reliable food bowl has something to do with that.

Aside from a frustrating tendency to hide inside the box spring of my bed, which I had to re-staple several times, she turned into a sweetheart. She learned not to bite relatively quickly, and now just swats hands. She'll hop onto my lap from time to time, and likes curling up with me in bed, but she prefers sprawling out on the carpet and asking me to join her down there for rubs. Her meow's a bit raspy, but she's talkative.

This is Buddy, this is my orange cat. She's awesome.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Bootcha posted:

This is Buddy, this is my orange cat. She's awesome.

Sometimes the universe works things out for the good in all that randomness. Congrats to you for being Buddy's newly adopted human pet :3: She looks adorable!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I think the chives are supposed to be super bad for them though; you might consider putting those somewhere where she can't get to them. I bet she's all over them because the shape is very grassy, which my guys dig a lot. We keep a tray of cat grass growing for them.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Another excellent orange cat and cat butler. I'm glad you found each other.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is my friend’s kitty, and he is going to be a kitten FOREVER.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

here's my orange dingus, forgetting what to do with her tongue

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My idiot's default pose under my desk while I work.

If I hadn't cut his balls off he would have been the world's best cat dad. He has accepted the new baby and takes care of him, just like he does for every other kitten he comes across.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I adopted this young lady today. Her name is Cheddar and she is my first orange cat.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I adopted this young lady today. Her name is Cheddar and she is my first orange cat.

Cat may be insufficiently orange. More pics are required for verification.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In honor of Spooky Movie Month, let’s give a shout out to one of the bestest orange cats: Jones from ‘Alien’

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Geocities Homepage King posted:

HELLO CHEDDAR

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Hello Sailor posted:

Cat may be insufficiently orange. More pics are required for verification.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Xenomrph posted:

In honor of Spooky Movie Month, let’s give a shout out to one of the bestest orange cats: Jones from ‘Alien’

I have it on good authority that Jonesy is, in fact, a shithead. Then again, that describes a lot of cats. Lovable shitheads.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Another famous Hollywood cat was "Orangey" from the 50s and 60s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangey

One studio exec called him "the world's meanest cat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

skaboomizzy posted:

Another famous Hollywood cat was "Orangey" from the 50s and 60s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangey

One studio exec called him "the world's meanest cat".

Classic exec complaint: a movie star is demanding space and time to himself.

You earned it Orangey!