Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/ben_stanton_/status/1034498982175825920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That whistle joke is classic Louis CK type material, and relatively funny. If you want to take issue with the dude going back to work, fine and good, but let's not nitpick the content of comedic performances, down that path lies madness.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

AlternateAccount posted:

That whistle joke is classic Louis CK type material, and relatively funny. If you want to take issue with the dude going back to work, fine and good, but let's not nitpick the content of comedic performances, down that path lies madness.

You're a loving idiot

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I too agree that it's really asking a lot for someone who has committed sexual assault to maybe not make fun of sexual assault.

In non-idiotic take news, Gerard Depardieu is accused of rape: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45360902

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

GrandpaPants posted:

In non-idiotic take news, Gerard Depardieu is accused of rape: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45360902

hosed

I know nobody besides me actually saw Abel Ferrara's Welcome to New York, so to help clarify my own personal sense of film geek irony, he plays a character modeled after Dominique Strauss-Kahn in it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Funny that the article leaves out his previous sexual assault conviction.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1035329618759303168

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

K. Waste posted:

hosed

I know nobody besides me actually saw Abel Ferrara's Welcome to New York, so to help clarify my own personal sense of film geek irony, he plays a character modeled after Dominique Strauss-Kahn in it.

Didn't that movie begin with Depardieu actually telling the audience out of character how much he despises the person his character is based on (which he doesn't name but is totally DSK)? Because that is some projection right there.

Also, Depardieu is a Russian citizen now so good luck getting him extradited. :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Funny that the article leaves out his previous sexual assault conviction.

Didn't he also hang his pecker out to take a piss in the middle of the aisle on an airline flight?

AlternateAccount posted:

It is indeed his type of material, but if he had the slightest bit of self-awareness, he'd realize that the body of edgy subjects he can still work with doesn't include anything to do with sexual assault. He has obviously learned nothing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

AceOfFlames posted:

Didn't that movie begin with Depardieu actually telling the audience out of character how much he despises the person his character is based on (which he doesn't name but is totally DSK)? Because that is some projection right there.

Also, Depardieu is a Russian citizen now so good luck getting him extradited. :(

I totally forget, it was a great movie but not necessarily one that, like, sticks in your mind on one go. I should pirate it again.

Or I can just watch Pasolini again instead. Same year, much better film, doesn't star an alleged fat rapist as a confirmed fat rapist.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weaton is quitting social media. I wonder if he finally finished gathering his thoughts about Chris Hardwick?????

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Does he even do anything aside from exist blandly on twitter?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Oh no now where will I go for the thoughts of a generic white man on the Internet

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Very cool.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah if it helps anybody here sleep better at night, the very obvious CK comeback attempt is going over like a lead balloon online.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Let's see how his next appearance goes over. This one was a surprise, its hard to be the first one to boo or walk out. Now people have heard he's "back" (especially in the standup fan circuit) and will be ready whatever that means. I think his reception the next time will either seal the deal or the very opposite.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weaton is quitting social media. I wonder if he finally finished gathering his thoughts about Chris Hardwick?????

You're underselling the fun of this story. He quietly left Twitter in the night because people kept asking him about that, went over to Mastodon where he tried creating a setup for "fun nerds", got mocked once, called it worse harassment than Gamergate and began going "MODS? MODS?!" to the owners.

Who banned him because he was already some of the biggest drama on the site in a week's time.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm glad that people are continuing to call him out for the continued lack of a response to Dykstra's statement.

quote:

Throughout Wheaton’s essay decrying the online mobs of bad faith actors, there seems to be one glaring omission: Any mention of his friend Chris Hardwick. Following Chloe Dykstra’s public account of the abuse she endured in a relationship with an unnamed “nerd mogul” who was pretty clearly Hardwick, a lot of people expected an outspoken feminist like Wheaton to publicly condemn the actions of his friend. At the time, Wheaton said that he needed “some time to process what’s going on and put words to my thoughts.” Those words never materialized, and a couple months later he was off Twitter for good.

https://apple.news/AKrR3tdDwTBaY1BsjNXUUIA

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Detective No. 27 posted:

lmbo I thought you were talking about Joss Whedon and assumed he'd rejoined twitter at some point and was leaving again

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think that’s why this is an appropriate place to discuss what’s going on with him. Whether you believe Hardwick is an abuser or not, Wheaton tried to play his response the way many would in a pre-metoo era; squint real hard at the horizon, and say you need to do some thinking about the whole situation. That can’t really fly anymore. A lack of acknowledgement is as good as a lack of accountability at best, and a form of gaslighting at worst. If Wheaton legit believed Hardwick was innocent, he should have said so instead of seeking out places where that question wouldn’t be asked of him. Alternatively, if he legit believed there was a chance that the allegations were true, he also should have said so. Silence doesn’t cut it anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah if it helps anybody here sleep better at night, the very obvious CK comeback attempt is going over like a lead balloon online.

I'm a bit puzzled and to why you would phrase it like that. Helps us sleep better? That kind of makes it sound like you're belittling those of us who areangry at him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm a bit puzzled and to why you would phrase it like that. Helps us sleep better? That kind of makes it sound like you're belittling those of us who areangry at him.

Quick, form a circular firing squad!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Calm down. Pretty sure yall are on the same side in this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fart City posted:

I think that’s why this is an appropriate place to discuss what’s going on with him. Whether you believe Hardwick is an abuser or not, Wheaton tried to play his response the way many would in a pre-metoo era; squint real hard at the horizon, and say you need to do some thinking about the whole situation. That can’t really fly anymore. A lack of acknowledgement is as good as a lack of accountability at best, and a form of gaslighting at worst. If Wheaton legit believed Hardwick was innocent, he should have said so instead of seeking out places where that question wouldn’t be asked of him. Alternatively, if he legit believed there was a chance that the allegations were true, he also should have said so. Silence doesn’t cut it anymore.

The silence also didn’t do him any favors with only playing up the suspicion that he was one of the people she mentioned in her statement that was helping Hardwick actively blacklist her.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

While we're on the subject of Hardwick, was the woman who helped blacklist Chloe ever definitively identified? I know there were names thrown out there, but I don't think I saw anything with any degree of confidence.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The silence also didn’t do him any favors with only playing up the suspicion that he was one of the people she mentioned in her statement that was helping Hardwick actively blacklist her.

I sincerely doubt Wheaton has that kind of pull.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Krankenstyle posted:

Does he even do anything aside from exist blandly on twitter?

Yes occasionally he exists blandly on the Big Bang Theory.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

While we're on the subject of Hardwick, was the woman who helped blacklist Chloe ever definitively identified? I know there were names thrown out there, but I don't think I saw anything with any degree of confidence.

Were there any names thrown around besides Felicia Day?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wheaton's the kinda guy that gets extremely upset over "shut up wesley" so imo it's super suspect that he seemed to go radio silent over something that actually matters

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/TSPSI/status/1035148990826901506

(he's talking about the Orwells, and definitely has a point)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://twitter.com/TSPSI/status/1035148990826901506

(he's talking about the Orwells, and definitely has a point)

I had no idea who they were but a quick google search informs me that I wasn't missing anything.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rhyno posted:

I had no idea who they were but a quick google search informs me that I wasn't missing anything.

half millenials know who they are, i think

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Their last album was called Terrible Human Beings, apparently.

What a time to be alive.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Here I was thinking the creators of GTA were in hot water.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just hot coffee.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CelticPredator posted:

Just hot coffee.

gently caress you got there before me :argh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Samovar posted:

Here I was thinking the creators of GTA were in hot water.

There's a fantastic book about Rockstar and the history of GTA. It's a bit outdated, as it came out in 2012, but it's called Jacked and it's by David Kushner. Excellent read.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Were there any names thrown around besides Felicia Day?

There was another name thrown around that I've forgotten. I think she was a producer or someone generally behind the camera?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Timby posted:

There's a fantastic book about Rockstar and the history of GTA. It's a bit outdated, as it came out in 2012, but it's called Jacked and it's by David Kushner. Excellent read.

His book on iD Software (Masters of Doom) is great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

There was another name thrown around that I've forgotten. I think she was a producer or someone generally behind the camera?

I read Michelle Morrow thrown around.

I also found it a bit odd that Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon have been pretty silent on the whole Hardwick thing. Well I mean I guess that's just the easiest thing to do for anyone in that sphere.

It's really incredible how many people are super into the most replaceable man in pop culture.