Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Most jobs are lovely and I would give them all 1 star for taking up so much of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

amazing thanks

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol the fake-positive HR ones are so easy to spot. mention how things are changing, mention some fringe benefit that actual employees don't care about, and a con that you then say isn't really a problem. my company posted a whole string of them in a row (even loving up and posting an almost-identical review twice with just a few sentences changed) after they noticed we had almost nothing but negative reviews lately.

it also coincided exactly with HR responding to all the negative reviews with stuff like "Oh no! please bring this up with your manager." and they responded to their own review with "Finally! Someone writing a review with how most employees really feel!"

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 31, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Flat Daddy posted:

lol the fake-positive HR ones are so easy to spot. mention how things are changing, mention some fringe benefit that actual employees don't care about, and a con that you then say isn't really a problem. my company posted a whole string of them in a row (even loving up and posting an almost-identical review twice with just a few sentences changed) after they noticed we had almost nothing but negative reviews lately.

it really shows how incompetent the execs/HR at these companies are because it is not that loving hard to do this without being obvious.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

it really shows how incompetent the execs/HR at these companies are because it is not that loving hard to do this without being obvious.

That would require a tiny bit of self criticism, and if they could do that they probably wouldn't be in that situation in the first place

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BTW if anyone wants to work on rocket engines hit me up

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

ive played like 60 hours of ksp hire me please

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bloody posted:

what about the Seattle area
spoke with them yesterday and this one requires relo to hawthorne. manager of sec ops position.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s a really cool title

from what I know of cool job titles bs reality I assume that’s a help desk position?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bloody posted:

do you need computers touched and if so is it in the Seattle area? Rockets are cool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

I will use asp.net and deploy the engines to azure.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

ive played like 60 hours of ksp hire me please

ok send me a resume

Diva Cupcake posted:

spoke with them yesterday and this one requires relo to hawthorne. manager of sec ops position.

we are not in hawthorne at all we are in seattle, texas, and florida

ADINSX posted:

do you need computers touched and if so is it in the Seattle area? Rockets are cool.

yes

Shaggar posted:

I will use asp.net and deploy the engines to azure.

also yes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bloody i'm going to send you my resume

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bloody i'm going to send you my resume

hell yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tell me more about the rockets. Is it blue origin

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bloody do you hire people from first world countries or is this an americans only type deal

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

Tell me more about the rockets. Is it blue origin

yes

jesus WEP posted:

bloody do you hire people from first world countries or is this an americans only type deal

'Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum'

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bloody posted:

we are not in hawthorne at all we are in seattle, texas, and florida

in case anyone else is wondering, the texas part is in the hinterlands and not the triangle part of texas where people actually live

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

in case anyone else is wondering, the texas part is in the hinterlands and not the triangle part of texas where people actually live

ya you drive to a "town" that is really just a named intersection then drive half an hour into even more the middle of nowhere

don't worry we don't make computer touchers work there

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

ya you drive to a "town" that is really just a named intersection then drive half an hour into even more the middle of nowhere

don't worry we don't make computer touchers work there

I remember driving through west Texas and seeing freeway exits that end at oil pumps.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

nobody wants to hire juniors

i don't mind hiring juniors but a boot camp ain't gonna cut the mustard

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Flat Daddy posted:

it also coincided exactly with HR responding to all the negative reviews with stuff like "Oh no! please bring this up with your manager." and they responded to their own review with "Finally! Someone writing a review with how most employees really feel!"

i love my job that has Competitive pay, benefits, 401k plan, oh and did i mention the Fun Incentive Based Contests and Outings?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
"my consulting firm believes in work live balance"

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
oh jeez, i got an email from a big tech company recruiter asking to schedule a phone interview

i haven't had any practice interviewing at other places yet and i know i'm really rusty and will almost certainly fail a phone screen

if i fail the phone screen i'll have to wait a year to reapply, which is not ideal

i'm guessing saying "now's not a good time, can you get back in six weeks?" is probably acceptable, but I'm not sure if i'll get the call back or not

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

meatpotato posted:

oh jeez, i got an email from a big tech company recruiter asking to schedule a phone interview

i haven't had any practice interviewing at other places yet and i know i'm really rusty and will almost certainly fail a phone screen

if i fail the phone screen i'll have to wait a year to reapply, which is not ideal

i'm guessing saying "now's not a good time, can you get back in six weeks?" is probably acceptable, but I'm not sure if i'll get the call back or not

phone screens only exist to make sure you arent a total psychopath moron

you can always pass a phone screen if you have the remotest clue what the gently caress is going on professionally (caveat: unless the recruiter is a moron and you answer things 'wrong' but not actually wrong, which you cant do poo poo about)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

meatpotato posted:

when apple called i told them i was in europe and i'd get back to them in 3 weeks (i was and i did). if theyr'e actually interested in you it probably won't be a problem if you just want a couple weeks to freshen up. if you make 'em waite 6 months the rec will probably be filled or the budget will be gone.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qhat posted:

What are people's opinions of non-compsci grads with little experience but with a "diploma" from some random 10 week programming boot camp? I usually just throw the resume directly in the bin.
Would you prefer open source experience?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ShadowHawk posted:

Would you prefer open source experience?

we've had this discussion before and it usually ends with wanting a person who:

* has a degree in computers, science or engineer or software engineering
* works on software on their own time
* dreams about software

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

phone screens only exist to make sure you arent a total psychopath moron

you can always pass a phone screen if you have the remotest clue what the gently caress is going on professionally (caveat: unless the recruiter is a moron and you answer things 'wrong' but not actually wrong, which you cant do poo poo about)

my fault, i wasn’t specific. the recruiter asked “what days are you available next week for a technical phone interview?” I’m not worried about chatting with a recruiter, it’s the technical stuff that I’m worried about

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

What are people's opinions of non-compsci grads with little experience but with a "diploma" from some random 10 week programming boot camp? I usually just throw the resume directly in the bin.

ahem i think u mean "circular file"

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

pointsofdata posted:

What's the biggest red flag you've seen in a glassdoor review. Bonus points for unintentional ones.

idk about "biggest red flag" (that someone discusses in a negative review? or something subtle but wrong about a positive review?) but I thought the following two had plenty of telling points.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Endgame-Reviews-E815564.htm?sort.sortType=OR&sort.ascending=true

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ByteCubed-Reviews-E1001687.htm?sort.sortType=OR&sort.ascending=true

If all positive reviews discuss benefits that are in no way unusual for the industry / type of employment, I tend to read that as either HR faking a review (and forgetting that it should not resemble the job posting they were writing a few minutes ago) or an employee (who has taken off their critical-thinking hat for purposes of) writing something nice but not very thoughtful.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

my old company doesn’t even :effort: their fake reviews. all the real reviews are one star and 1000 words. the five star reviews are mostly just a sentence fragment about how “awesome” it is

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
hi i got a job offer from my first actual interview and i start in a month.

they gave me more money than i asked for which means i probably underestimated.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
amazon phone screen didn't go well but i'm not twisted up about it. i really wasn't into the position.

code session was a disaster lmao.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ultravoices posted:

hi i got a job offer from my first actual interview and i start in a month.

they gave me more money than i asked for which means i probably underestimated.

Probably; but at least they gave you a bit more. If I suspect I'm underpaid, I've had success in the past by talking to my manager and saying 'I know I screwed up negotiating when hired and would like a raise to compensate'. Obviously depends on the company policy/culture/how much they need you, etc.

Congrats anyway, if nothing else you'll know better next time.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not asking for a bit more, even for what you consider a good offer, is a rookie error. As long as it's not ridiculously out of whack, they won't shut down negotiation just because you asked. Now you know.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

amazon phone screen didn't go well but i'm not twisted up about it. i really wasn't into the position.

code session was a disaster lmao.

some people insist that their team doesn't suck, but the general consensus is, "you don't want to work for amazon"

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
Arrrg I just totally messed up one of those shared coder pad screens. Oh well.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Arrrg I just totally messed up one of those shared coder pad screens. Oh well.

I’m about to mess one up in five minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Fiedler posted:

some people insist that their team doesn't suck, but the general consensus is, "you don't want to work for amazon"

yeah, mostly i just wanted to get some experience with the interview process so that i'd be less nervous if going through another rigorous interview.

still woulda been nice not to gently caress up, but i hosed up so catastrophically that i dont really mind.