Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

A bunch of Shaw Brothers films are on Netflix and jesus christ they're oddly well scanned and restored or something. Everything looks crisp and it fucks with my head because Kung Fu films are supposed to look grainy and old.

That and the ShawScope sometimes makes the lens distortion really visable/framerate is all weird.

Yea, the copy of Enter the 36 Chambers that we watched all the time in the 90s looked like poo poo, but then I watched it on netflix and it looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seldom Posts posted:

Did you seriously not notice all the white supremacist antagonists?

Those guys felt like a late addition that became all powerful out of nowhere. I'm talking about the earlier seasons I guess.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cross posting this from the meme thread:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Dillbag posted:

Murder, She Wrote was also the last television series to cut on film.

By cut do you mean strictly editing or something because there were definitely shows done on film post 1996

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nutsngum posted:

By cut do you mean strictly editing or something because there were definitely shows done on film post 1996
Probably the whole editing pipeline cut on actual film with splices and poo poo before being mastered on whatever they used for broadcast

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Neito posted:

Does anyone remember the era prior to that yellow First Down line? For something so small, it was such a huge gamechanger.

It took me a long time to get used to the onscreen first down line. I liked the old way. Just to just look for the chains and then space things out in my head. The onscreen marker makes you lazy.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Probably the whole editing pipeline cut on actual film with splices and poo poo before being mastered on whatever they used for broadcast

Yeah strictly editing rushes on benches and poo poo, then transferring the locked cut to tape for mix and broadcast. Shows shot on film for a while after that but transferred to tape or early digital editing editing after that.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

mostlygray posted:

It took me a long time to get used to the onscreen first down line. I liked the old way. Just to just look for the chains and then space things out in my head. The onscreen marker makes you lazy.

More like completelygray

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

You also have those soft-reboots or revisions done to keep things fresh.

See: Jefferson D'Arcy v Steve Rhoades, adding unnecessary kids, or transitioning to new employment (Drew Carrey).

The hoops they jump through are fun sometimes, too.

I'm just unreasonably happy that Ed O'Neill got a break on doing something else than Al Bundy. The guy was clearly talented playing cops and stuff, but got horribly typecast as Al which always ruined it. But goddamn if he didn't nail that middle age, low income -angst two decades before it became the new normal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He had a short stint playing the Pennsylvania governor on The West Wing but he was really good there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Were the 90’s when TV shows stopped being one off storylines every episode (with the occasional two parter episode) and started doing the over arching plots that ran through a whole season or series?

It’s kind of wild to watch old shows that ran for many many seasons and each episode is standalone story and you just have some reoccurring characters at most. Now everything has some convoluted plot line running through it that inevitably gets extended out 2-3 seasons too long.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Levitate posted:

Were the 90’s when TV shows stopped being one off storylines every episode (with the occasional two parter episode)
The X-files kind of did that. But outside of, like, Babylon 5 and Buffy, it was mostly stand alones.

Then you had weird edge cases like Gargoyles where the weird stand alone with faeries turns out to be this huge part of the lore some 40 episodes later. Or ER where a character gets like 4 seasons devoted to some side-plot.

Lost is what really brought that kind of writing to broadcast Tv

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Serialized stories were something you saw on what would be considered Prestige TV of the time. Probably the earliest I can remember is Homicide would have season long plots and old crimes coming back into the story.

I don't know why, but for some reason I associate Pleated pants with the 90s. Especially if worn with like a tshirt or tank top. I feel like that was a uniform of backup dancers from the period.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Not nineties but serialized TV and prestige shows chat: Battlestar Galactica (reimagined) was ruined prematurely thanks to season 3 producers and the writers strike going into season 4. If that show could have been on HBO it would have been historic I say!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I think of "prestige" tv from the 90s I'm admittedly less inclined to consider American dramas than British crime dramas about detectives chasing down serial killers which tended to be fairly creator-driven and sometimes had a kind of neo-noir flavour to them like Cracker, Prime Suspect and Touching Evil.

You have procedural shows and serialised shows but I think there's such a thing as shows that aren't serialised but aren't exactly procedural as well. Something like an NCIS or a CSI series are procedurals because they all follow the same template. Something like, say, Star Trek TNG isn't serialised, but I don't think it's "procedural" because it doesn't follow the same template every week and had a fairly broad range of stories it was capable of telling.

I suppose "episodic" is really the word I'm looking for; all procedurals will be episodic (though it has to be said that even series like NCIS have some ongoing subplots) but not all episodic shows are procedurals.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Sep 1, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can’t remember the name, but there was a TV show in the 90s that only lasted 2 or 3 episodes because it would have been showered with awards today but was way too weird for the audience back then.

It was something like a crazy sociopathic Wall Street businessman who had a bunch of issues and slept naked in a box.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I can’t remember the name, but there was a TV show in the 90s that only lasted 2 or 3 episodes because it would have been showered with awards today but was way too weird for the audience back then.

It was something like a crazy sociopathic Wall Street businessman who had a bunch of issues and slept naked in a box.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
TNG is more like a sandbox writing show. It's clearly defined what the limits are, but you can write whatever you want within those limits.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The X-files kind of did that.

I’d say it was more than just “kinda”; The X-Files was pretty well known for being about balancing the episodic “monster of the week” installments with the underlying “mythology” episodes, which spanned not only a seasonal arc, but over the course of the entire series.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I feel like more than that, even some sitcoms were breaking out of the "Status quo every episode" thing. Friends, for example, had actual long-reaching consequences and callbacks. I wouldn't say it wasn't heavily episodic, but it kinda laid the groundwork for having sitcoms with "myth arcs" and poo poo like that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was watching Party of Five in the 90s and it was pretty much a serialized drama.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Sep 3, 2018

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm sure there were ones before it, but I remember Murder One being the first huge full-season event.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evobatman posted:

I'm sure there were ones before it, but I remember Murder One being the first huge full-season event.

I've not seen that one but I've read about how the last few episodes ended up having 15-minute long "previously on" recaps because people just weren't accustomed to that kind of thing and a lot of its audience just wasn't following every single episode assiduously.

Neito posted:

I feel like more than that, even some sitcoms were breaking out of the "Status quo every episode" thing. Friends, for example, had actual long-reaching consequences and callbacks. I wouldn't say it wasn't heavily episodic, but it kinda laid the groundwork for having sitcoms with "myth arcs" and poo poo like that.

Friends was a soap opera with a laugh track for the most part.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Neito posted:

Does anyone remember the era prior to that yellow First Down line? For something so small, it was such a huge gamechanger.

The yellow first down line debuted 20 years ago this month.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neito posted:

Malcolm in the Middle was pretty good for letting all the characters actually develop across the seasons instead of just repeating jokes and roles ad-nauseum.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

evobatman posted:

And then the lead actor was fired because his morning dumps were taking too long

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Malcolm in the Middle was pretty good for letting all the characters actually develop across the seasons instead of just repeating jokes and roles ad-nauseum.

There were some bad episodes but overall I really loved MitM. It felt much smarter than the other shows on at the time.

The very last plot with the new baby did feel really repetitive, but they had a long good burn up to that point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

There were some bad episodes but overall I really loved MitM. It felt much smarter than the other shows on at the time.

The very last plot with the new baby did feel really repetitive, but they had a long good burn up to that point.

What last new plot with the baby? I think you're forgetting a few seasons if you think it ended with the birth of Jamie.

If you mean the bit at the very end of the finale, well it's just life going on as usual for them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hal’s hobbies and him only having black friends is one of my favorite bits on that show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What last new plot with the baby? I think you're forgetting a few seasons if you think it ended with the birth of Jamie.

If you mean the bit at the very end of the finale, well it's just life going on as usual for them.

Its been years so I'm probably mis-remembering. I thought it ended with the whole "is it gonna be a boy or a girl" episode but you're right, I remember Jaime being a toddler for several episodes.

I just remember lots of the Jaime plots basically feeling like things they already did with Dewey years before.

Reading the last episode synopsis I definitely did see it at some point, and it ends with Louis being pregnant again so I guess I confused myself thinking that was Jaime and happened before the episodes where he was born.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I’d say it was more than just “kinda”; The X-Files was pretty well known for being about balancing the episodic “monster of the week” installments with the underlying “mythology” episodes, which spanned not only a seasonal arc, but over the course of the entire series.

The X-Files only stumbled into having it's arcs because Gillian Anderson got pregnant and they needed an excuse to write her out temporarily.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Malcom was also one of the first in the wave of modern sitcoms without a laugh track explaining what was supposed to be funny.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neito posted:

Maybe for network sitcoms but HBO has it beat by a few years with two shows;

1st and 10- a serialized sitcom from the 80s where each season was a season of football. It was pretty popular but sort of disappeared from the cultural landscape between it being hard to edit for syndication and it starring OJ.

Dream On- this was actually the first show by Kauffman and Crane and created the template they would end up using a few years later on Friends.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Phanatic posted:

5. Veronica's Closet/Jessie (Tied) (Also what the gently caress were those shows, I have no memory of them whatsoever.)

Rather impressively, Veronica's Closet went from being #5 in 98-99 to #86 the next season. They didn't even bother airing the last few episodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Horace posted:

Rather impressively, Veronica's Closet went from being #5 in 98-99 to #86 the next season. They didn't even bother airing the last few episodes.

That’s what happens when your first two seasons your sandwhiched between the biggest shows on television and the executives get the bright idea that you’re strong enough to stand on your own.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That’s what happens when your first two seasons your sandwhiched between the biggest shows on television and the executives get the bright idea that you’re strong enough to stand on your own.
The 8:30 & 9:30 slots on NBC were just a bloodbath of that poo poo.
Suddenly Susan, Caroline in the City, Veronica's Closet and Just Shoot Me were only good while they had those giant lead-ins.
NewsRadio was just weird and it got by thanks to that and having a KitH alum in it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FilthyImp posted:

Suddenly Susan, Caroline in the City, Veronica's Closet and Just Shoot Me were only good while they had those giant lead-ins.
NewsRadio was just weird and it got by thanks to that and having a KitH alum in it.

NewsRadio started before KitH, though they were briefly concurrent

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

NewsRadio started before KitH, though they were briefly concurrent

You're right about them being briefly concurrent but the original run of KitH was from 1988 to April 1995 while NewsRadio started in March 1995. It was on HBO and then CBS late night for the last two years and then was rerun on Comedy Central for a bit.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

FilthyImp posted:

Caroline in the City and MAYBE Just Shoot Me, I thought, used to be somewhat popular in syndication in the 00s. Maybe it was just WGN, though, which seemed to have an assortment of syndicated shows I scarcely remember any other station airing. It could have been they had some sort of exclusivity to them or some Tribune Entertainment connection with the production. I'm not sure.

With those two, I can at least remember what those shows were about. Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet, not a thing.

Crossing Jordan. I don't think I've heard any one really talk about that show in nearly 10 years despite having a fairly long run and known actors in it.
(edit: Okay, Crossing Jordan was a post-90s series. I literally thought it was from the 90s. I didn't even think it ran as far as 2007.)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

All I remember about Suddenly Susan was Brooke Shields was some magazine journalist and that it also had Judd Nelson, Nestor Carbonell, and Kathy Griffin. Oh, and that there was a guy on there who killed himself irl so they worked that into the plot of one episode.

Veronica’s Closet was just Kirstie Alley as a whiny former fashion model doing some Victoria’s Secret bullshit, and I’m just going to say that was the extent of it. It existed in a black void and she was all alone in it for all I’m willing to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know I watched episodes of Veronica's Closet. I probably watched the whole first season. But nothing I read rings any bells, it was just that forgettable.

Suddenly Susan was interesting mainly because Brooke Shields was one of my two TV crushes (Mia Sara :allears:) but all I remember of it was that she was taller, stronger and smarter than anyone else on the show which may well have been a first for TV for any character who wasn't played up as a freak.

Also, her boss was incredibly oily and creepy looking.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, her boss was Judd Nelson.