Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ate all the Oreos posted:

if that were true we'd have fallen into the sun billions of years ago. we have enough orbital velocity that not only do we not fall into the sun, but we're millions of miles away from the sun. that's a ton of velocity, and the only way to actually reach the sun would be to cancel out most of it somehow. if you just "fly towards the sun" your orbital velocity will cause you to shoot right past it, since you're constantly moving tangentially to the direction you're trying to go.

the way stuff like the parker solar probe gets close to the sun is by looping around a big planet and using orbital slingshot shenanigans to slow it way the hell down

ahhhh yeah that makes sense. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is really counter-intuitive and i’m v interested in knowing more

you’d think it’d be real easy to get sucked in by something as massive as the sun

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/parker-solar-probe-launch-nasa/567197/

maybe someone posted that already? w/e

I think that's the recent better one that laid out the obvious-in-hindsight explanation for why you gotta go fast to catch back down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is really counter-intuitive and i’m v interested in knowing more

you’d think it’d be real easy to get sucked in by something as massive as the sun

a surprisingly good reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/1ktjfi/deltav_map_of_the_solar_system/?st=JLIB1E50&sh=e1346aaa

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wtf?? that’s not how the solar system is shaped?????

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
whoever made that really screwed up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
orbits are so god drat cool, thanks, i want to ksp now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it blew my mind when i finally understood why each orbit has exactly one correct orbital velocity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you don't have to actually touch the mass of the sun to be instantly killed by it, coming pretty close will do the job

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, if you can wait around long enough just hang out outside a bunch without sunscreen on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hams were going to get a geosynchronous satellite up a couple years back but then TROMP happened and everybody's just launching mil and spy sats and we lost our slot :(

woulda been amazing. 5,000 digital audio channels for the entire western hemisphere with a fixed antenna (satellite antennas aren't expensive or touchy, but their tracking systems are)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

it blew my mind when i finally understood why each orbit has exactly one correct orbital velocity

imo KSP is an excellent way to get an intuitive understanding of orbital mechanics

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i always love being reminded that the difference between "reached the moon" and "oh gently caress now we're out in a solar orbit" is only like ~90 m/s or 200mph

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

imo KSP is an excellent way to get an intuitive understanding of orbital mechanics

Maybe Elon should play it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pocket mortys takes up too much time

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's also a fantastic board game called High Frontier that features an extremely detailed map of the solar system and various burn/landing paths. No firing yourself into the sun though.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

infernal machines posted:

this is what happens when you let programmers call themselves engineers

no you see making cars is like playing starcraft you just need a high apm

mewse
May 2, 2006

gschmidl posted:

No firing yourself into the sun though.

drat

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
losing a tremendous amount of orbital velocity is one way of putting it
the broke-my-brain-on-physics way of thinking of it, though, is that you need to lose a shitload of orbital angular momentum

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Zlodo posted:

no you see making cars is like playing starcraft you just need a high apm

s/making cars/managing software projects/ ==> "do we work at the same company?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

didn't spock get fired into the sun in one of the movies? we can just do that. make it happen team! no, I've already made the decision. my decisions per hour is very high.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/spies_please/status/1035579745013059585

https://twitter.com/spies_please/status/1035580716669718529

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/flubbus/status/1034999835617837056

i love to post

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
What part of NEVER NOT POST did you miss?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:justpost:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

:justpost::posthaste:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

i love to post

same!!!

:justpost::hf::justpost:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

as not great as seveneves was, the bits about orbital mechanics were really interesting and not things of ever thought about.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:elongate:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

haha. very good.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

quoted so i could see what it was registered as. wasn’t disappointed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol. same.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

that's amazing

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

:elongate:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

You can mouseover a smiley in a web browser or long-press it in the app

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

or you can :justpost:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

spankmeister posted:

ksp is the first single player game that I ever enjoyed playing

subnautica is the second

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ksp is the first single player game that I ever enjoyed playing

subnautica is the second

mine was super mario brothers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jonny 290 posted:

orbits are so god drat cool, thanks, i want to ksp now

ksp was brilliant years ago, wonder what's happened to it

still remember the precise moment when everything about orbital physics finally clicked, and why relative maneuvers work the way they do [tho normal/antinormal burns are still loving perplexing to me as axes go, at least as far as understanding the result]

... long as i got some utility doing the actual MATH anyway, i can figure out the routes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

that’s not as fun though