Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This series is honestly depressing now. And the next chapter is ulcers. It's sad to say but the only release these cells are going to get from this body is the sweet embrace of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wow this body somehow reveals itself to be more and more of a trainwreck every chapter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If you look at it on the macro level, it's not even that crazy, it's just your average overworked japanese salaryman who fell off the wagon wrt not smoking.

And that's what's most depressing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

He's just a fat, stressed-out alcoholic smoker who doesn't shower regularly and suffers from erectile dysfunction. It's not good, but you can find worse horror stories in the Goon Doctor subforum.

Also TIL that Neutrophils have three ways to attack intruders. We all know about phagocytosis and the secretion of anti-microbial proteins. But I just found out about neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs). NETs a created when a neutrophil weaponizes its own DNA by covering it with anti-microbial compounds. It proceeds to shoot its DNA at the intruder, like some sort of 12 gage Net shell. Sometimes the neutrophil dies, and weighs down the intruder with its own dead body. But other times, the neutrophil continues to function and fight bacteria with an empty nucleus.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 31, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That one'd be a bit too gory for anime/manga.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Just lol if you never strangled someone to death with your own intestines and then just walked off like nothing happened

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

golden bubble posted:

He's just a fat, stressed-out alcoholic smoker who doesn't shower regularly and suffers from erectile dysfunction. It's not good, but you can find worse horror stories in the Goon Doctor subforum.

Also TIL that Neutrophils have three ways to attack intruders. We all know about phagocytosis and the secretion of anti-microbial proteins. But I just found out about neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs). NETs a created when a neutrophil weaponizes its own DNA by covering it with anti-microbial compounds. It proceeds to shoot its DNA at the intruder, like some sort of 12 gage Net shell. Sometimes the neutrophil dies, and weighs down the intruder with its own dead body. But other times, the neutrophil continues to function and fight bacteria with an empty nucleus.

Neutrophils are also so efficient at killing things that if left unchecked they'll kill the surrounding cells as well. Thus they evolved to kill themselves after a certain amount of time so they don't damage the body too much. Whenever you have that off-white pus for whatever reason that's a whole load of dead neutrophils.

If the show was to be more accurate our main protag neutrophil and his buddies from episode 1 would slit their throats after killing those bacteria. For obvious reasons it's better they took liberties with this.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

skaianDestiny posted:

Neutrophils are also so efficient at killing things that if left unchecked they'll kill the surrounding cells as well. Thus they evolved to kill themselves after a certain amount of time so they don't damage the body too much. Whenever you have that off-white pus for whatever reason that's a whole load of dead neutrophils.

If the show was to be more accurate our main protag neutrophil and his buddies from episode 1 would slit their throats after killing those bacteria. For obvious reasons it's better they took liberties with this.

Episode on necrosis vs autophagy when

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

golden bubble posted:

Sounds like a typical shonen 'forbidden' technique.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Black actually seems like the best environment to tackle more dire things like Organ Failure, surgery, and Organ Transplant (with the subsequent immuno-suppressants).

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Black actually seems like the best environment to tackle more dire things like Organ Failure, surgery, and Organ Transplant (with the subsequent immuno-suppressants).

yep nope anywhere I can go with an organ transplant gijinka just sounds like someone's totalitarian propaganda, that's .... yikes

junopsis fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 31, 2018

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Brought To You By posted:

This series is honestly depressing now. And the next chapter is ulcers. It's sad to say but the only release these cells are going to get from this body is the sweet embrace of death.

Oh. I was about to say I had a good idea of where all the RBCs and Neutrophils dissappeared to, but that works as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

junopsis posted:

yep nope anywhere I can go with an organ transplant gijinka just sounds like someone's totalitarian propaganda, that's .... yikes

The body is extremely xenophobic to most living things that aren't from said body. The only exceptions are within the digestive organs and even then they have their own smorgasbord of defenses and defensive reactions as well as strange residents.

IMO, they missed an opportunity portraying the stomach and intestines as something other than just a food processing plant.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xelkelvos posted:

The body is extremely xenophobic to most living things that aren't from said body. The only exceptions are within the digestive organs and even then they have their own smorgasbord of defenses and defensive reactions as well as strange residents.

IMO, they missed an opportunity portraying the stomach and intestines as something other than just a food processing plant.

Bacteria at Work goes more in depth into this (it portrays the fights between good and bad germs in your digestive system) :eng101:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Xelkelvos posted:

What about blood transfusions?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A chapter addresses blood transfusions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I imagine we'll get to Heatstroke as the final episode of the season.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about blood transfusions?

There's a chapter about that, although it glossed over rejection.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The main manga goes more in depth with the digestive system in volume 5, won’t see that animated any time soon though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think there's just enough material for a second cours. I hope it gets it when David isn't busy with Jojo.

Edit: Re: Vol. 5 The Lactic Acid Bacteria look cute, but Maid NK Cell and Activated Dendritic cell would be the real must animate moments.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 2, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Need Macrophage in the fifth panel, towering over all of them by, like, 100 times.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Isn't that what that frilly thing is supposed to indicate?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It is

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it me or was the voice directing off for some of the flashback scenes in the latest episode? A lot of the proto-T Cells were voiced like children or women rather than teenage boys.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Based on some intense google research, I don't think Macrophages are as big as these memes suggest, except in the case that they're combining to eat something huge. They should be around ~20 micrometer. I also find it strange how varied different sources list the sizes of the different cells. Scientists need to get their acts together imo.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Captain Cappy posted:

Based on some intense google research, I don't think Macrophages are as big as these memes suggest, except in the case that they're combining to eat something huge. They should be around ~20 micrometer. I also find it strange how varied different sources list the sizes of the different cells. Scientists need to get their acts together imo.

Most cells are observed when theyre squished under some microscope slides. When they're free floating they're not as "big" since most are spherical normally.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Captain Cappy posted:

except in the case that they're combining to eat something huge.

So you're saying they should attack using cheer squad formations or as a very frilly Voltron.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Captain Cappy posted:

Some sources list FBGCs as another type of macrophage so yeah.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
fyi the treg lady should be punching the crap out of common cells in thymus school, they are by definition very autoreactive, and the only reason they dont kill the gently caress out of you is because they are deliberately twisted into an immunosuppressive form

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

You're probably not going to get an organ transplant thing in this as Japan has relatively low rates due to cultural reasons.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYLHhR76Yyw

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://rabbiteclair.tumblr.com/post/177820580087/gordon-freeman-official-tilthat-til-when-you

quote:

TIL when you get a sunburn, it’s not your skin cells being damaged by the sun and dying, it’s your skin cells’ DNA being damaged by the sun and them killing themselves so they don’t turn into cancer.

quote:

That’s going to be a really heavy Cells at Work! episode

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I know this show can't have the highest budget, but between this and all the recycled footage, come on

Rest of it was pretty fun though. Always great to have more focus on Best Cell Macrophage

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe we didn't get a macrophage gattai. It was the perfect chance.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Sindai posted:

I can't believe we didn't get a macrophage gattai. It was the perfect chance.

I hope it does show up later.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

platelet got poked again so this was a good episode

e: thank you RBC

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 9, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This body might not have as bad habits as Black, but they're definitely not living safely. And its only going to get worse in the finale with hypovolemic shock

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Yeah, enough heatstroke to need an IV is pretty hardcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is the body male or female?