Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Is the Termina map as bad as I think it is?

Not at all. You start with only three turns left, just so that it can demonstrate the map reset and you have a chance to watch the cutscene. Then the timer goes back to 72 turns, and I still have half that left with two of the four giants. There are items scattered around to put more time on the clock, and clearing spaces with an owl guarantees that the square and any adjacent will stay cleared even if you do actually run out of time.

Plus that's where you get mask variant costumes for everyone. I don't like Imp Midna having off colors, but I do like her with a Deku shield on her face :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Don’t get hit maps suck but all attacks are devastating maps are great with the wind waker. Just strong attack then dodge cancel and repeat.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

The secret for don't get hit missions is to get a fairy with the Wall of Water skill. It basically trivializes those levels since if you're decent at dodging, you'll probably never lose the barrier.

I forget where, but there's a fairy on one of the maps that already has Wall of Water as the default skill.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my current disgust is maps where soldiers go turncoat

so much goddamn running back and forth across the map

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

my current disgust is maps where soldiers go turncoat

so much goddamn running back and forth across the map

If you clear keeps fast enough you can basically just loop around the map taking down the leaders before your poo poo gets overrun.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dad Jokes posted:

The secret for don't get hit missions is to get a fairy with the Wall of Water skill. It basically trivializes those levels since if you're decent at dodging, you'll probably never lose the barrier.

I forget where, but there's a fairy on one of the maps that already has Wall of Water as the default skill.

I just got her, she's on the Master Quest map. Don't remember exactly where on it but she was a decent ways into the map's progression.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

FPzero posted:

I just got her, she's on the Master Quest map. Don't remember exactly where on it but she was a decent ways into the map's progression.

The wall of water fairy is a few spaces to the right from the start of master quest

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh right, I didn't pick her up until I was a ways through the map because I wasn't sure what fairy I wanted to get rid of at the time. Good hair options are very important.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FPzero posted:

Oh right, I didn't pick her up until I was a ways through the map because I wasn't sure what fairy I wanted to get rid of at the time. Good hair options are very important.

:yeah:

Has someone managed to compile all the faeries?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Have a spreadsheet. There are many sheets on it; one of them describes the fairies.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
My disgust are maps where you need to do X to open a gate and save Y from super beef enemies or maps where manhandla stalks or fat armies bombard your main base.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dizz posted:

My disgust are maps where you need to do X to open a gate and save Y from super beef enemies

Also there are two keeps with elemental barriers and only one fairy.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

fritz posted:

Easiest way I've found around those is to hold on to enough magic meter, run into the keep and do one area attack to clear out the mobs sitting there, and just as the next wave is about to spawn, do a fairy blast. If your fairy is leveled up enough, it'll wipe the second waves and also the keep boss when it spawns in on a delay. You'll lose at most two hearts or so.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Manhandla stalks are annoying as hell especially when they spawn on the other side of the map. They almost always spawn in maps with only one player too.

I'm a big fan of the Twilight map. Double materials is great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fritz posted:

They suck. Fine you don't need to take both keeps but it's dumb. All it serves is for the first time you ever do one of those levels you don't realise you need the fairy for the boss keep and waste it on an earlier one.
Every other time, you're fine. Why bother?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

seiferguy posted:

Manhandla stalks are annoying as hell especially when they spawn on the other side of the map. They almost always spawn in maps with only one player too.

I'm a big fan of the Twilight map. Double materials is great.

Same, I kept running out of Ghoma Acid and Manhandla Dust and now I have tons of each. I just need a few more Ganon manes and horns...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Same, I kept running out of Ghoma Acid and Manhandla Dust and now I have tons of each. I just need a few more Ganon manes and horns...

I need Phantom Ganon items like crazy and it's a shame he's not in a good spot on the Twilight map.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:

Recommended element gives a damage bonus to any weapon with the matching element, including multi-element weapons. Does this also affect how fast you can decrease an enemy’s WPG? I assume you don’t get double the bonus if there’s two recommended elements and your weapon has both?

Enemies also have elemental weaknesses independent of the stage’s recommended element. A weapon’s attacks only count as the element(s) of the weapon, even if it causes other effects ie Shiek’s harp always counts as lightning (or light for lv4+) even if you do a water/fire/dark attack. Using the element the enemy is weak to does more damage and decreases their WPG quicker.

Anything I’m missing?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it’s really confusing but I’m pretty sure the individual attack elements matter for some purposes. I don’t know which ones though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mezzanine posted:

Easiest way I've found around those is to hold on to enough magic meter, run into the keep and do one area attack to clear out the mobs sitting there, and just as the next wave is about to spawn, do a fairy blast. If your fairy is leveled up enough, it'll wipe the second waves and also the keep boss when it spawns in on a delay. You'll lose at most two hearts or so.

Also if you're in focus spirit, you won't be hurt by the barrier.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/1035264928678965248

That's the first time I've ever gotten my KO counter over 4000 in a single mission, much less getting my Focus Spirit up to almost 3000. Maybe stuff like this becomes more common in future Adventure Mode maps, but I'm only on Master Wind Waker and was damned impressed with myself. The map is one left of the top right corner if you're looking for a lot of enemies to beat down early-ish in Adventure Mode.

I'm glad I got sucked into this game again on Switch because it has provided me plenty of content to play in short bursts over the last three months.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

FPzero posted:

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/1035264928678965248

That's the first time I've ever gotten my KO counter over 4000 in a single mission, much less getting my Focus Spirit up to almost 3000. Maybe stuff like this becomes more common in future Adventure Mode maps, but I'm only on Master Wind Waker and was damned impressed with myself. The map is one left of the top right corner if you're looking for a lot of enemies to beat down early-ish in Adventure Mode.

I'm glad I got sucked into this game again on Switch because it has provided me plenty of content to play in short bursts over the last three months.

Yeah, that's par for the course for Young Link, and it's why tier lists have him ridiculously high because when he gets going... :discourse:

Some other characters can get numbers nearly as high as that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's just really satisfying to watch that Focus Spirit KO counter go up. I wish there were some crazy high bonuses after 130 KOs to help you as you hit higher numbers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I got a weapon for Young Link with heart power and yeah he owns owns owns. Most dark elemental characters fall short in some way but not him.

Edit: skull kid is also great too. Basically Termina produces the finest.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 30, 2018

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

FPzero posted:

It's just really satisfying to watch that Focus Spirit KO counter go up. I wish there were some crazy high bonuses after 130 KOs to help you as you hit higher numbers.

It would definitely be better to have another magic boost every 100 or so. Difficult to chain unless you're doing really well, but if you are you get to keep it up.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I got a weapon for Young Link with heart power and yeah he owns owns owns. Most dark elemental characters fall short in some way but not him.

Edit: skull kid is also great too. Basically Termina produces the finest.

Dark element users are actually some of the best characters in the game. Even the three worst dark users (Midna, Twili Midna, and Ravio) are very good characters compared to other characters/weapons of another element.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Twili Midna is supposed to be bad? She has the giant cannon thing and the kill everything C1..

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Folt The Bolt posted:

Dark element users are actually some of the best characters in the game. Even the three worst dark users (Midna, Twili Midna, and Ravio) are very good characters compared to other characters/weapons of another element.

Yeah, I see Ganondorf at the top of tier lists as well as Zant but I feel like I struggle with them. Same with Cia. I feel like the delay between their attacks seems off putting.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The only thing bad about the giant cannon is how difficult and specific the timing is, otherwise you slap them with a bridge instead

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

b_d posted:

Twili Midna is supposed to be bad? She has the giant cannon thing and the kill everything C1..

Yes she has. If I remember correctly, she deals with mooks and multiple officers pretty fine. Problem is, that's... kind of all she has. Otherwise, she has a not-really-guaranteed combo game which makes her damage output significantly lesser in scale, and her C1 is chargeable like a special which makes it much more situational than C1s relying on charging through other means, like Zant's Twilight Gauge and Ganondorf's Darkness Gauge. She also has very few moves that are capable of applyingthe Dark element effect which means she must rely on continuous hits randomly activating it for her, and the Light element effect will not be applied at all with her Light element moves until she can get access to her Lv. 4+ weapon due to the Light element effect requiring that the weapon can do Light damage which Lvs. 1 to 4 don't.

Also, she is a terrible giant boss killer due to overreliance on fully charged C1 and/or Specials to get clutch full-to-zero WPG on most bosses that doesn't fall under the weaknesses she can hit on (or in some cases; on bosses that she can hit their weaknesses on) despite the advantage-on-paper having access to both Light and Dark-elemental moves, and to add insult to injury: Her Giant Boss ability from Legends to Switch was nerfed due to Ganon reverting to his much Wii U recovery time meaning King Dodongo, The Imprisoned, and Phantom Ganon are the only Giant Bosses where she can plausibly take their WPG from full to 0 without using a special, adding Gohma if she has access to her Fully Charged C1 (... actually, come to think of it, she kind of needs her Fully Charged C1 to deal with King Dodongo as well; King Dodongo, the easiest boss in the game to get a WPS on when you expose his WPG).

Also, speaking of, her Focus Spirit and Special attacks are utterly terrible by FS/Special standards.

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I see Ganondorf at the top of tier lists as well as Zant but I feel like I struggle with them. Same with Cia. I feel like the delay between their attacks seems off putting.

Most tier lists (including the one I work on) assume a player who's learned their character. Of course, the list I'm working on assumes you're willing to learn everything about the character to play them to the best of your ability which is why characters like Sheik fail to make it to the top 10 best characters by our definition.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 31, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How necessary is it to be mindful about any of what you just posted though? Like, I'm 3/4 of the way through Master Wind Waker map and I feel like it doesn't matter who I'm using really, as long as I have them leveling decently well and give them strong weapons and use Recommended elements I'm able to get by without much hassle. Are later maps really difficult enough to hit those A ranks on that you need to start optimizing your inputs, using the Apothecary, making perfect weapons and maxing fairies? Like, what content in the game actually requires such deep knowledge and understanding of individual character strengths and weaknesses like those you just described? Knowing which attacks can deplete a Giant Boss WPG gauge is about as far as I've had to think about anything so far.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm going through the Termina map, and overall I don't think it's too bad. The damage you can take before losing A rank status is reduced from 199 to 149, and you'll definitely want the best weapons possible. Overall all the characters are viable. Some more than others. And any tier list that doesn't have Linkle less than S rank is horribly wrong anyways!!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FPzero posted:

How necessary is it to be mindful about any of what you just posted though? Like, I'm 3/4 of the way through Master Wind Waker map and I feel like it doesn't matter who I'm using really, as long as I have them leveling decently well and give them strong weapons and use Recommended elements I'm able to get by without much hassle. Are later maps really difficult enough to hit those A ranks on that you need to start optimizing your inputs, using the Apothecary, making perfect weapons and maxing fairies? Like, what content in the game actually requires such deep knowledge and understanding of individual character strengths and weaknesses like those you just described? Knowing which attacks can deplete a Giant Boss WPG gauge is about as far as I've had to think about anything so far.

In general... no. Then again, our tier list is mostly about optimizing inputs to get A Ranks more easily. Using the Apothecary, making perfect weapons, and maxing fairies is not especially important. (As long as you get weapons at the points where you really want a power boost.)

That said, it becomes more important if you're like me and have played all the previous HWs and basically forego Legend Mode in favor of getting all the weapon upgrades from Adventure Mode first. I didn't use 2-Player most of the time which meant actual know-how of the character was intensely important when forging my path through Adventure Mode.

(It also has importance in knowing how your character well enough: I have had to redo a Twili Midna mission on the OG Adventure Map despite being around a level where I should have been able to clear it because that level requires intense consistent damage output that T. Midna at that level simply wasn't delivering.)

Oh, and of course; Challenge Mode is now back. You definitely want to know how well characters perform when learned once you start doing the latter Challenge Mode missions since those are some of the hardest missions (and they keep track of your high score in that mode).

seiferguy posted:

I'm going through the Termina map, and overall I don't think it's too bad. The damage you can take before losing A rank status is reduced from 199 to 149, and you'll definitely want the best weapons possible. Overall all the characters are viable. Some more than others. And any tier list that doesn't have Linkle less than S rank is horribly wrong anyways!!

Great Fairy heavily challenges what constitutes as "viable" when it comes to Hyrule Warriors character quality. (Linkle also belongs nowhere near the S Tier, sorry.)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I've gotten over 4k KOs on missions using Lana with summoning gate and surfing Argorok all day it rules.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Folt The Bolt posted:

Great Fairy heavily challenges what constitutes as "viable" when it comes to Hyrule Warriors character quality. (Linkle also belongs nowhere near the S Tier, sorry.)

Such a shame to invalidate your list before it's even out.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Linkle really is great at everything I love her

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

Such a shame to invalidate your list before it's even out.

It is already out you dumbass.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like its time for a few retractions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bleep bloop I am a robot and do not understand why someone would want to play Linkle over Volga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Especially after you unlock her Koholint outfit. Is there an SSS tier on your list? If not, time to add it and Pinkle Linkle to it.