Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

A big corporation doesn't want to pay taxes that would lower its profit margins? Perish the thought, it must surely be noble intentions that caused them to brutally invade an unrelated planet and put its people in concentration camps.

It's worth noting that the Republic's overall reaction to this - even when provoked into actually doing something - is kind of on par with what would happen if Microsoft got caught loving up its taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Preston Waters posted:

literally no one wanted a Han Solo origin story.

I would've wanted an adventures of Han Solo movie though. See him flying around with Chewie, smuggling, having a run in bounty hunters, pissing off Jabba, scoffing at the Rebellion and the Force. Basically, everything but an origin movie would've been more interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Elmore Leonard's Solo: A Story Wars Story.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Preston Waters posted:

I'm honestly shocked that this wasn't posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83D18xL7VE

Because it's not a spoiler. It was posted in the main thread.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Elmore Leonard's Solo: A Story Wars Story.

Oh my god, I hate you for putting this in my head when there's no way I'm gonna get it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guiness13 posted:

Oh my god, I hate you for putting this in my head when there's no way I'm gonna get it.

I was thinking recently that while others may scoff at the concept, I'm actually a little disappointed that the movie centred on Mos Eisley was among the spin-offs cancelled, because "22 Short Films About Mos Eisley" done like an Elmore Leonard story where the droid-hating bartender is the main character (revealed to be a retired stormtrooper from the planet De'troi't, of course) might have been fun.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

I like how for the internet a no name stormtrooper managed to become the new Boba Fett (a character people latched on to despite having no real role or presence in the story thanks to a single line of dialog).

I like how they explicitly intended for Phasma to be this trilogy's Boba Fett but it didn't happen because they forgot the most important part of Fett was that he was accidental

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Question Friend posted:

I like how they explicitly intended for Phasma to be this trilogy's Boba Fett but it didn't happen because they forgot the most important part of Fett was that he was accidental

Fett had really cool, unique-looking armor in a weird medieval color scheme, a weird-rear end ship, big dick energy, and a jetpack. Phasma is literally just a shiny stormtrooper with a cape.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Question Friend posted:

I doubt he was accidental, when they built him up in the holiday special with the animated segment focusing on how much of a badass he is, before his actual introduction in ESB.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Episode IX is going to be wide as fuuuuuuck

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
What’s the deal with empire strikes back being held as this great star wars movie? Apart from a few nice set pieces its loving dull

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I still think Kylo Ren screaming Traitor at Finn in TFA is better than TR-8R or Phasma's deliveries of the same line

TR-8R had a nicer backdrop though and Phasma's...well, Phasma

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I doubt he was accidental, when they built him up in the holiday special with the animated segment focusing on how much of a badass he is, before his actual introduction in ESB.

I never saw it though. So for me it was just the one line from Vader "No disintigrations", cool armor and him getting away on his own big rear end ship.

Question Friend posted:

I'm probably the only one, but I look forward to her being back again and falling in a hole one last time. :allears:

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It was hot in the deleted scense when Finn said she squealed like a pig

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Phasma might have become A Thing if TFA didn't comically undercut her entire menacing affect by having her get literally thrown in the trash for a gag.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Phasma might have become A Thing if TFA didn't comically undercut her entire menacing affect by having her get literally thrown in the trash for a gag.

Phasma might have become a thing if the fight in TLJ was in TFA instead.
Had her kick the poo poo out of Finn instead of TR8T0R and then get blown away by Chewies bowcaster despite the laser bouncing off.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
These movies are a dope's delight

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Question Friend posted:

These movies are a dope's delight

it kind of has been since ROTJ though. That movie has so many things that you could tear to shreds but for whatever reason nobody does.

Question Friend posted:

Episode IX is going to be wide as fuuuuuuck

I'm assuming you're talking about how much poo poo they're going to have to wrap up? If anything, TLJ lessened that burden. I mean it could've been way worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-vFYl0F8Fc

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 30, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Preston Waters posted:

it kind of has been since ROTJ though. That movie has so many things that you could tear to shreds but for whatever reason nobody does.

Im not sure that's true. Theres definitely a large group of people who agree that Jedi was the beginning of the end for the series.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

kidkissinger posted:

Im not sure that's true. Theres definitely a large group of people who agree that Jedi was the beginning of the end for the series.

gotta be more specific about which "Jedi" you're talking about :lol:

thrawn527 posted:

Because it's not a spoiler. It was posted in the main thread.

Neither was the film "300"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Preston Waters posted:

Neither was the film "300"

Yeah, I still don't understand why that derail went on for so long in the Star Wars Spoiler Thread.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Welcome to the snyderverse

porfiria posted:

Of course this is all fair enough but to be fair:

Lol!

Kinda disappointed to learn that Polley seems to be a dictators=necessary evil sort of liberal. I agree with Snyder tho, the death of Saddam and his sons were good and cool. If only it happened to more tyrants more often!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Preston Waters posted:

Basically everyone acknowledges that it's the weakest of the original trilogy, but they overlook those problems because it still has characters they care about and wraps up their stories in satisfying ways. The prequel and sequel trilogies by comparison are just a bunch of assholes fighting it out on the rear end end of space, who out there is honestly dying to see how any of this ends. I predict there will be more star wars!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ROTJ is the weakest of the original three but it was my favourite when I was little.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Preston Waters posted:

I do. It’s a very bad movie, for many of the same reasons that the ST is bad.

Only Solo is significantly worse.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Preston Waters posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about how much poo poo they're going to have to wrap up? If anything, TLJ lessened that burden. I mean it could've been way worse.

No I literally mean it'll be 2.39:1

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Weakest of the OT" even if you agree with that claim, is still pretty drat good. It's not like we have three options therefore one of them must be flawless and one must suck.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bruceski posted:

"Weakest of the OT" even if you agree with that claim, is still pretty drat good. It's not like we have three options therefore one of them must be flawless and one must suck.

I super enjoy RotJ but the problems it does have are really really lame.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
RotJ has a couple really strong moments, a couple compelling ideas that were executed fairly well, and then it has the other two hours.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bruceski posted:

"Weakest of the OT" even if you agree with that claim, is still pretty drat good.

Episode 6 has the worst cinematography of all 12 live-action feature films. I'm including the ewok movies here.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Schwarzwald posted:

RotJ has a couple really strong moments, a couple compelling ideas that were executed fairly well, and then it has the other two hours.

It really is the Gundam ZZ of Star Wars.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Episode 6 has the worst cinematography of all 12 live-action feature films. I'm including the ewok movies here.

Can you give some examples

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Yeah SMG, you trippin. Jedi is ugly, but not ewok movie ugly.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
John Williams wrote a 70s-rear end synthesizer song just for RotJ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dSuiXq297U

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Question Friend posted:

Can you give some examples

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah SMG, you trippin. Jedi is ugly, but not ewok movie ugly.

I can post examples later, but you’re probably basing that on the VHS quality or maybe the cheapness of the production design.

Track down an HD copy of Caravan Of Courage and it’s consistently on par with Episode 6 or better on a presumably-far-lower budget. (The d.p. was academy award-winning filmmaker John Korty.)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

It just has the worst compositions.

Also this from the cinematographer.
"When we saw the first test of the Redwood Forest, the director felt it looked a little bit too glossy. He wanted it made somewhat more mundane and totally believable—he really hates the feeling that anything has a studio look at all. So what I had to do was just go back and make another test and what little bits of gloss I had put into it, I took away, which made the overall job of the lighting somewhat easier, it just meant that I approached it in a simpler way, leaving it looking flat and dull. "

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

wyoming posted:

It just has the worst compositions.

Also this from the cinematographer.
"When we saw the first test of the Redwood Forest, the director felt it looked a little bit too glossy. He wanted it made somewhat more mundane and totally believable—he really hates the feeling that anything has a studio look at all. So what I had to do was just go back and make another test and what little bits of gloss I had put into it, I took away, which made the overall job of the lighting somewhat easier, it just meant that I approached it in a simpler way, leaving it looking flat and dull. "

Yeah I mean Endor really really looks like Northern California so mission accomplished.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Question Friend posted:

No I literally mean it'll be 2.39:1

that's gonna look awkward on 70mm IMAX screens (assuming they film some in 70mm IMAX)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spotting the Ewok in this frame is like finding Waldo.

Those are some nice ferns, though.