Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Despite the fact that he's only played in a couple rehab games, baseball twitter is saying Josh Donaldson is probably gonna get traded today

edit: https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1035560555384205312

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope Curtis Granderson lands on a cool team that I can cheer for.

(Not that I can't cheer for the Blue Jays)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I wouldn't mind if the Cardinals snagged him. With rosters expanding and Gyorko hurt for at least 10 days, he would be a nice addition I think.

And lol, I forgot Curtis Granderson still existed.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Jays will likely move both and get very little for either but it's better than the nothing they'd get at the end of the season I suppose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd be very surprised if Donaldson isn't claimed. He's a low risk high reward rental who worst case scenario gets injured again and best case absolutely mashes.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Donaldson will be healthy and great if he lands in a city where the nightlife and meat markets are dead because he'll get plenty of sleep the night before games.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Ryan Madson to the Dodgers. Looks like its maybe only a salary thing, the Dodgers are taking all of his salary.

Madson hasn't been very good this year but the stuff is still there so maybe he can figure it out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Popete posted:

I hope Curtis Granderson lands on a cool team that I can cheer for.

(Not that I can't cheer for the Blue Jays)

I watched a bit of the Yanks game last night and I guess their PBP guy didn't know about the Cutch trade because he was openly hoping they picked up Granderson. Which makes sense since he mashed as a Yankee.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Zigmidge posted:

Donaldson will be healthy and great if he lands in a city where the nightlife and meat markets are dead because he'll get plenty of sleep the night before games.

Pull the trigger Dombrowski

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1035576526610341888

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I just realized that since Kenta Maeda signed that ridiculous contract that's mostly incentives, the Dodgers moving him to the bullpen will cost him millions

quote:

$6.5M annually in performance bonuses based on games started: $1M each 15, 20 GS. $1.5M each for 25, 30, 32 GS

$3.5M annually in performance bonuses based on innings pitched: $0.25M each for 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 IP. $0.75M 200 IP

Maeda made 20 starts before being moved to the pen. Wouldve hit 25 for sure, maybe 30.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think Atlanta could use Josh Donaldson. It would let them move their other infielders around and maybe a month is enough time to keep him bubble wrapped but also allow him to get enough at-bats in to be useful in the playoffs.

Camargo and Culberson are having great years but you can't have enough depth if you're serious about the playoffs. And Culberson's has a .360+ BABIP.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 31, 2018

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The Pussy Boss posted:

Despite the fact that he's only played in a couple rehab games, baseball twitter is saying Josh Donaldson is probably gonna get traded today

edit: https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1035560555384205312

Christ, I hate this year.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I think Morosi (or Feinsand) were saying that the Cards were the most involved in trade talks for Donaldson. Indians were the other team mentioned as a likely landing spot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I just realized that since Kenta Maeda signed that ridiculous contract that's mostly incentives, the Dodgers moving him to the bullpen will cost him millions

Maeda made 20 starts before being moved to the pen. Wouldve hit 25 for sure, maybe 30.
This has been a frequent topic of contention on the Dodger blogs ever since he signed, but especially since last year when he was so effective out of the pen. This year in particular the Dodgers had massive incentive to put him in the pen when they did, with how close they are to the luxury tax.

Arguably his contract is so team friendly and ripe for shenanigans like this, the union ought to have challenged it from the start, but we know how that goes these days.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure he would be an upgrade over Eduardo Nunez (who has been serviceable but is still Eduardo Nunez.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

tadashi posted:

I think Atlanta could use Josh Donaldson. It would let them move their other infielders around and maybe a month is enough time to keep him bubble wrapped but also allow him to get enough at-bats in to be useful in the playoffs.

Camargo and Culberson are having great years but you can't have enough depth if you're serious about the playoffs. And Culberson's has a .360+ BABIP.

you have to imagine AA will figure out a way to do it, if possible. but giving the Cardinals young, potentially decent pitchers in the past has not gone very well for Atlanta, so would hope the return isn't much going back that way.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Cardinals don't have Josh Donaldson......yet

EDIT: Speaking of former Braves pitchers

https://twitter.com/JoeTrezz/status/1035328771358973952

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
hey cubs can you please stop winning baseball games tia

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

.077/.077/.308

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Um....ok?

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1035606448108122112

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

lol enjoy your overpriced reliever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

He gets lefties out and has a pulse, welcome to the Cubs bullpen.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
We traded a vet for prospects! :toot:

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1035554935767629826

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

b-minus1 posted:

No you

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Shiroc posted:

The Yankees getting Cutch means Judge's hand is super hosed, doesn't it?

Judge should be good by playoff time either way so I think it's as much that as it is Brett Gardner's bat looks cooked (and Frazier is a question mark). Whenever Judge returns, Gardner and Cutch would probably platoon unless one gets really hot in the playoffs.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tadashi posted:

Saw something the other day that Culberson has the biggest difference >100 AB between wOBA and xwOBA, outperforming his batted ball profile, of anyone since data was available in 2015.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

b-minus1 posted:

they need to win the next 3 but then they can stop

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Hot-me’s smoldering 5 o’clock shadow and crazy-rear end movement on his pitches are good as long as he has a good defensive catcher. He and Willson should get along just fine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Cubs have a pretty good streak of signing aging pitchers (Hamels/Chavez) who show up and completely turn themselves around so sure, why not. If it means we don't have to see Tyler Chatwood make another start I'm all for it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Here's something funny.

Keone Kela has been a steamroller in the Pirates pen.

Kevin Creagh posted:

Kela’s strikeout rate stat was very good with the Rangers this year at 10.80 per 9 innings, but he’s managed in his one month to make it great at 13.15 per 9.

Hmm interesting...how might he have achieved such a thing?

Kevin Creagh posted:

What’s the secret been to his outstanding first month with team? It’s something that Alex and many others have been preaching for the better part of a year — a de-emphasis on fastballs in favor of offspeed stuff. In this case, it’s Kela’s brilliant curveball.

Full article at this link, on the Point of Pittsburgh.

I love that the Pirates did the exact opposite of what they normally do and have gotten (surprise) amazing results.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
A's trade for Cory Gearrin. With the entire starting pitcher depth chart dead/recently ineffective (aside from ace and Cy Young favorite Mike Fiers) and they're apparently not gonna add one, I wonder if/how many times they'll do the full bullpen game thing in September.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Can we move Longo too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Give me Donaldson

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Accident Underwater posted:

Judge should be good by playoff time either way so I think it's as much that as it is Brett Gardner's bat looks cooked (and Frazier is a question mark). Whenever Judge returns, Gardner and Cutch would probably platoon unless one gets really hot in the playoffs.

Gardner and Stanton have been playing nearly every day, this gets Shane Robinson out of the lineup and Stanton back to DH and lets Gardner get some days off. Stanton has been playing with a sore hamstring or a while now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

The Cubs have a pretty good streak of signing aging pitchers (Hamels/Chavez) who show up and completely turn themselves around so sure, why not. If it means we don't have to see Tyler Chatwood make another start I'm all for it.

How is this narrative that Hamels was cooked continuing to persist

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

How is this narrative that Hamels was cooked continuing to persist

I wouldn't say cooked, but he wasn't looking great with the Rangers and a big part of that was likely playing in their stadium. Still it was a gamble to take him on when we already have plenty of mediocre to bad starting pitchers.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/stephenjnesbitt/status/1035644198836490240

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Donaldson pulled from his rehab start so he's going...somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Why do the Yankees still have an appearance policy, anyway? It's loving stupid.

• Locked thread