Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bhodi posted:

Frostpunk:

Expeditions travel twice as fast when their destination is known, so travel to a distant known location before spurring off to explore. The direct path back is fine.
This kind of little thing is what I read this thread for. Holy poo poo but this is going to save me so much time, in the long run.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything I should know for War of the Chosen if I have beaten XCOM 2 before? I've read they integrated the previous DLCs, does that mean there's no way to get rid of the goddamn alien lords?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything I should know for War of the Chosen if I have beaten XCOM 2 before? I've read they integrated the previous DLCs, does that mean there's no way to get rid of the goddamn alien lords?

You can choose which ones to turn on when starting a game, but they've been integrated in ways other than the old DLC quests. There's no raiding Vahlen's lab for example, the alien lords will show up in some other missions.

As far as other stuff to know, nothing that isn't part of the standard learning curve. I could give strategies for how to exploit your new units and breakdown the enemies but :xcom:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

One big tip: overwatch doesn't trigger on invisible enemies.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am about to download Graveyard Keeper. Any tips to know before going in?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Another Horizon: Zero Dawn question. I've reached a point in the main quest where I'm about to climb down a vent and the guy in my earpiece is telling me "this is a point of no return, if you have any sidequests you want to do, do them now"

I can take a hint, but, without spoiling anything, is this a pillars of eternity situation where once you beat the game, it's done and you need to reload an earlier save to go back and do sidequests/DLC, or will the game dump me back in the open world after i finish the story so I can do all the side stuff?

I'd google but I don't want to accidentally spoil anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Another Horizon: Zero Dawn question. I've reached a point in the main quest where I'm about to climb down a vent and the guy in my earpiece is telling me "this is a point of no return, if you have any sidequests you want to do, do them now"

I can take a hint, but, without spoiling anything, is this a pillars of eternity situation where once you beat the game, it's done and you need to reload an earlier save to go back and do sidequests/DLC, or will the game dump me back in the open world after i finish the story so I can do all the side stuff?

I'd google but I don't want to accidentally spoil anything.

It's not the end of the game, it's just going to lock you into story stuff for a decent stretch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not the end of the game, it's just going to lock you into story stuff for a decent stretch.

Ah ok. It seemed a little early for endgame (though I’ve been sidequesting so hard that it’s hard to tell exactly how much time I spent on the main quest)

That said, my original question still stands; will the game put me back in the open world after the end of the main story, or should I make it a point to wrap up side content before finishing the plot, whenever that may come?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ah ok. It seemed a little early for endgame (though I’ve been sidequesting so hard that it’s hard to tell exactly how much time I spent on the main quest)

That said, my original question still stands; will the game put me back in the open world after the end of the main story, or should I make it a point to wrap up side content before finishing the plot, whenever that may come?

You'll be let out to roam again afterwards. There is an actual point of no return for the final stretch, and the game will go out of its way to tell you "this is actually the end, get ready and wrap things up".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Even then it’s not the end. You’re dumped back into the open world just before the final mission after the credits. There’s no missable content in Horizon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Graveyard Keeper? Specifically about blue gems and how to get them. Also, how will chests work in the basement? Do the crafting stations pull materials from all of them?

Edit: also also, is improving your corpse quality by literally ripping sin out of corpses just dumb luck or can I guess which body part is the wrong one somehow?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 27, 2018

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Devil Mat Cry 4: Special Edition?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1redflag posted:

Devil Mat Cry 4: Special Edition?

Any points you invest in Nero carry over to Dante, so spend freely. Same applies to Trish And Lady

If youve never played DMC4 before, Id recommend doing Nero/Dante before doing Trish/Lady or Vergil routes as theyre what the game was originally built for.

A lot of stuff is busterable by Nero, especially big cinematic attacks enemies and bosses do, but even playing it safe you should be using buster a lot as on small enemies it can be a free kill and on big ones its good damage

There is a weird die boardgame thing youll play at one point. If you use the buster to hit it whatever number was showing when you hit it with your buster is what youll roll. The die changes faces in a repeating pattern so you have zero reason not to speed through this awful mission.

Nero’s Red Queen has a charge function and at max charge it deals absurd damage, although youll need to buy the skill. Bind his red queen to a button you can hold down.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 27, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Graveyard Keeper? Specifically about blue gems and how to get them. Also, how will chests work in the basement? Do the crafting stations pull materials from all of them?

Edit: also also, is improving your corpse quality by literally ripping sin out of corpses just dumb luck or can I guess which body part is the wrong one somehow?

- Blue xp mostly comes from researching body parts and such on the church basement's study desk. If you need science just make a bunch of paper out of corpse skin and pump those into the desk. Later the best source is to make piles of medium tier stone grave markers.

- Chests will provide items for the crafting areas that they are located in, example is that any chest in the working area outside the house will give to the furnaces and saws, but not to the nearby garden. The storage area below the house can be filled up with chests if you really want to but they don't provide to the rest of everything. Mostly it's just used for wine making casks.

- Bodies are a bit complex and checking the wiki is advised (same with alchemy, do NOT try to guess the patterns yourself) but as a rule of thumb you want to pull out the blood and fat of every body you get. Other parts either increase red skulls or randomly will give big adds or big removals depending on the part. One note is that the brains and intestines don't stack so just grind them up as you take them out.

Basically you want to look at each corpse and see how many skulls it has total. Take out the fat and blood of the ones that are decent (at least three white skulls and minimal reds) and just harvest the ones that are crap. You don't want to bury every body because if they only have one or two white skulls (or God forbid none) they will barely add anything to your graveyard and will eventually just need to he exhumed.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there a barebones get you started way to play Kerbal? I really just want to slap stuff together and try better next time. The training was too specific and I never figured out how to get the part where I can attempt to launch things.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Is there a barebones get you started way to play Kerbal? I really just want to slap stuff together and try better next time. The training was too specific and I never figured out how to get the part where I can attempt to launch things.

KSP is really not a game that lends itself to one page of tips, but gently caress it.

Kerbal Space Program

Until you know what you're doing play on sandbox (where you have unlimited budgets), not career (where you have a budget and need to gather science to unlock parts).

On the Kerbal Space Center (the ground base thing), the one in the middle is the Vehicle Assembly Building. That's where you design your rockets.

Every rocket needs:
  • Someone to drive it, which is either a capsule with an astronaut in it (any kind of astronaut can drive, but pilots get some handy ways to automatically steer the vessel) or a probe core (which can also do the auto steering thing, but depending on your settings may also need radio contact to KSP to work). Handily, Kerbals don't need any kind of life support, so manned space missions are way the hell easier than in reality.
  • Power. Without power, you can lose the ability to steer, which is a real bummer. So bring batteries and solar panels if you have them. Might as well slap an antenna or two on here too.
  • Enough fuel and engines to get to space (which can be kind of a lot of stuff).
  • A way to land safely (unless you're a satellite and you're just going to chill out there forever). On Kerbin, this mostly means you always want parachutes (the bigger the thing you're trying to land, the more you need). On places without atmosphere, this means you need engines to fire to slow you down (and also that your ship is pretty easy to spin around to face different directions). Landing gear is also a plus on anything you want to be able to try to take off again in.

Getting to space

Your end goal is that you will be flying parallel to the ground, but really high up (>70km) and really fast (I think about 2 km/s, but I don't remember exactly). An orbiting object isn't really going 'up' so much as it is 'going around so fast that the ground is out of the way before it can fall into it'. Now if life were simple, you could just point your rocket sideways and take off almost like a plane; that *will* work on places without an atmosphere, but it *won't* work on Kerbin. Kerbin has a nice thick atmosphere, which means trying to drive through it really fast is a bad (and frequently fatal) idea.

So what you need to do is launch straight up until you're a few thousand meters in the air (out of the thickest bit of atmo), then kind of tip your rocket sideways towards an eastern heading (so you start getting 'going around the planet' velocity instead of just 'going up from the planet' velocity). How far to tip and when to start tipping is going to depend on the rocket you're flying and how stable and maneuverable it is. If you need more words from me, think of going from straight up at 10k, about 45 degrees in the 30-40km range and then horizontal by the time you exit the atmosphere. The better you do this, the more fuel you save, but that's more a rocket design problem than a difficult piloting challenge.

Oh great, now I'm in space

... Yeah we're still a ways off from a full explanation of how to spaceflight. I'm going to admit defeat and just link a Scott Manley playlist for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d74m3qThOoU.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started playing Persona 5, and it’s the first persona/smt game I’ve ever played; it’s very weird, but I’m with it so far

Anyway, my question; I’ve just reached the point in the game where the city’s opened up to me and I’m free to spend my time however I want. I see that I have a deadline by which I need to beat the palace or its game over. If I beat the palace early, though, will the game skip ahead to that date and cause me to miss content? In other words, is it my interest to put off the dungeon until the last minute (ish) and do other stuff with my time, or is there no particular downside to just doing it as soon as I think I’m ready?

I’m playing on safety mode because I am bad at jrpgs and don’t really have the patience to grind these days so I’m not too worried about my odds of survival, I’m just not really clear on what the expected pace of this game is and how much of it is in the player’s hands. It got very big all of a sudden!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started playing Persona 5, and it’s the first persona/smt game I’ve ever played; it’s very weird, but I’m with it so far

Anyway, my question; I’ve just reached the point in the game where the city’s opened up to me and I’m free to spend my time however I want. I see that I have a deadline by which I need to beat the palace or its game over. If I beat the palace early, though, will the game skip ahead to that date and cause me to miss content? In other words, is it my interest to put off the dungeon until the last minute (ish) and do other stuff with my time, or is there no particular downside to just doing it as soon as I think I’m ready?

I’m playing on safety mode because I am bad at jrpgs and don’t really have the patience to grind these days so I’m not too worried about my odds of survival, I’m just not really clear on what the expected pace of this game is and how much of it is in the player’s hands. It got very big all of a sudden!

It will not fast-forward. Beating the mind dungeon beforehand will simply make the person in question exhausted, or go into hiding, or whatever - so that the time between when you beat the dungeon and where the story picks up is taken up by them 'recovering', for the most part. So beat them early if you'd like, there's no penalty to doing so.

\/\/\/\/ Oh, yeah you lose access to the dungeon. But once a certain location opens up early into the game, that's not really an issue.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 30, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Beating the palace early is fine in P5. The way the thing is structured you 'change their heart' by beating the palace but the actual date when they publicly turn their lives around is fixed. I'm pretty sure you lose access to the palace though, so if you wanted it as a source of money/XP that'll go away.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ainsley McTree posted:

The game will not skip ahead, and it's a good idea to complete the dungeons sooner rather than later because your party members won't be available as confidants while a dungeon is incomplete.

Don't worry about getting overwhelmed, that feeling is natural with the Persona games and the all-too-common refrain is that it's not going to matter that much. Hang out with who you like and have fun. The only piece of advice I might give, which I got from this thread, is that mainlining Fortune to a certain point is VERY helpful because she lets you pay money to boost confidant points and social stats. You can get Fortune when you can go to Shinjuku (she's the fortune teller) and buy the 100k trinket from her.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morpheus posted:

It will not fast-forward. Beating the mind dungeon beforehand will simply make the person in question exhausted, or go into hiding, or whatever - so that the time between when you beat the dungeon and where the story picks up is taken up by them 'recovering', for the most part. So beat them early if you'd like, there's no penalty to doing so.

Awesome, thank you!

Another basic question; time only passes when you perform certain activities, right? So I can run around the map and take the train back and forth across the city as much as I like without wasting in-game time?

I feel like this might have been covered in an in-game tutorial but if so I forgot it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, though certain areas force you to pay money for train fare to get there.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Graveyard Keeper tips:
Despite what he says, the tavern keeper will trade your burial certificates for cash. A lot of people mistakenly assume they have to unlock the church first.
Shops restock their supplies over time. Until they restock, the more you buy the higher the price. Buy only what you need when it comes to basics like nails and iron parts, and your money will stretch further.
There’s no real time pressure to the game, just scheduling issues to meeting certain NPCs and handling corpses. In fact, traveling to meet certain NPCs is the biggest time sink. Leave early.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Awesome, thank you!

Another basic question; time only passes when you perform certain activities, right? So I can run around the map and take the train back and forth across the city as much as I like without wasting in-game time?

I feel like this might have been covered in an in-game tutorial but if so I forgot it

The game is clear about what activities pass time. However on free days when you start in your room if you leave the diner you can't go back in without passing time. So if there's any activities you want to do in the diner during the day (playing games, making tools/coffee/curry, etc.) then don't leave the diner.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Give me all your sweet Dead Cells tips.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

The game will not skip ahead, and it's a good idea to complete the dungeons sooner rather than later because your party members won't be available as confidants while a dungeon is incomplete.

Don't worry about getting overwhelmed, that feeling is natural with the Persona games and the all-too-common refrain is that it's not going to matter that much. Hang out with who you like and have fun. The only piece of advice I might give, which I got from this thread, is that mainlining Fortune to a certain point is VERY helpful because she lets you pay money to boost confidant points and social stats. You can get Fortune when you can go to Shinjuku (she's the fortune teller) and buy the 100k trinket from her.

Big important thing for P5 Dungeons; if you're near the end of the dungeon, just go finish it now rather than leaving to prepare on your own. The actual heist/boss fight is done on a separate day, and otherwise you're just burning a day by accident to trigger finishing the preparations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anything for La Mulana 2, specifically about permanently missable stuff like there was in the first game?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

flatluigi posted:

Anything for La Mulana 2, specifically about permanently missable stuff like there was in the first game?
I've been avoiding help like the plague, and thus far it's been far more manageable than the first game to just futz around and continuously get farther without getting stumped, but there are some things I wish I had known ahead of time:

-Some shopkeepers/guides do have important info to give, but you sometimes have to visit multiple times (and maybe after major events like beating a boss, I'm not sure). I stumbled across a guide telling me an intensely important piece of info that I was irritated they had not given me the first time I bumped into them.

-It's not immediately clear but there is a limit to how much text you save, so be sure to go back and delete stuff as you solve it.

-Don't be like me and neglect to mark down areas/spots on the map that have points of interest. So much time wasted "I thiiiiiink it was around here" which can't be solved by the text recorder.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Specifically for missables:

Use the totem pole set-your-own-warp-point in Ancient Chaos before triggering the Very Clearly Endgame, and don't change it afterward. You'll lose normal access to that section otherwise.

Other useful advice to know:

Do not try to make too much progress in Hall of Malice until you've unlocked the primary door near the grail point (from the other side). Or if you do, don't be a dumbass and save afterward. You're not 100% screwed over, but it'll be a pretty significant slog to get back on track.

Hot springs in the ruins (the ones you have to pay to access) give you hidden temporary buffs, different ones for different hot springs, for a few minutes. A software combo can extend these effects.

It's subtle, but the software screen lets you save software setups. This way you can have one software setup for general exploring with all the miscellaneous utility stuff, and another setup for fighting with all the combat-related software combos but none of the exploration utility. Really just a convenience but it's a nice little QoL feature you might overlook.

e: Enemies ramp up as you make progress. Don't worry, you didn't accidentally activate hard mode. (If you want to intentionally activate it, which is not advised for a first playthrough, it's in the exact same zone and done by the same method as it was in the first game, just not the same room.)

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You could really phrase those in a way that's less spoiler-y.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Eat The Rich posted:

Give me all your sweet Dead Cells tips.

I'll keep this as short as I can. There's a bunch of small tips but here's a few of the bigger ones, imo. Hopefully this helps!

Upgrades:
-Health Vials should be your dump option if you have no current goal in mind for unlocks.
-Enemies can drop blueprints. You must complete the level in order to receive them.
-Finishing blueprints will allow those weapons to start spawning in the world.
-Early game you should focus on unlocking blueprints before bothering with the Start with X suite.

Progress:
-As you play you will notice areas you cannot access. These require you to have unlocked Runes and require multiple playthroughs.
-The Major Runes are located at Promenade of the Condemned, Toxic Sewers (part of the prisoner quest), Ossuary, and Slumbering Sanctuary.
-You can use your right thumb-stick to pan the camera around to avoid traps or spot enemies.
-Don't stress the speedrun doors until you've gotten good at navigating the maps.

Combat:
-Play with the different weapons to get a playstyle that fits how you want to complete a run.
-Learn the timing on your dodges and its cooldown.
-Shield parrying only becomes stronger and a more viable option as you continue to unlock upgrades.
-Don't feel obligated to kill everything you see if you're overwhelmed.
-Ideally for bosses you will want to stack toxic, bleeding, and/or fire damage since there is a damage cap to how much burst you can inflict with your melee weapon.
-With the above in-mind, traps are very good at destroying bosses.
-Build your weapons around complimenting stats from other weapons. If you can set something on fire, roll for +damage to targets on fire & +oil streaks etc,.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mayor McCheese posted:

-Build your weapons around complimenting stats from other weapons. If you can set something on fire, roll for +damage to targets on fire & +oil streaks etc,.
This is a big one, take note of that advice in particular. Exploiting weapon synergies will allow you punch above your weight class to a ridiculous degree. Your effective damage, DPS style, can be a whole lot higher than what the displayed stats will tell you it is.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

anilEhilated posted:

They changed the way the rulers worked thankfully, they get 2 actions for all of your squad actions, rather than a 1-1 ratio.Also they only show up when you are attacking facilities so they won't normally appear anyway.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'll keep this as short as I can. There's a bunch of small tips but here's a few of the bigger ones, imo. Hopefully this helps!

Upgrades:
-Health Vials should be your dump option if you have no current goal in mind for unlocks.
-Enemies can drop blueprints. You must complete the level in order to receive them.
-Finishing blueprints will allow those weapons to start spawning in the world.
-Early game you should focus on unlocking blueprints before bothering with the Start with X suite.

These are all good tips, but for the bolded one above, note that you don't just have to finish the level -- you have to talk to the blueprint collector guy in the area between levels. If you do not talk to him and just move on to the next level, you will not have turned in your blueprints. Make sure to talk to that dude even if you don't spent cells.

Also, you can break the door by that dude if you don't want to spend your cells, but are saving them for something else (like the forge after the bosses).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

You could really phrase those in a way that's less spoiler-y.

Made some edits. I'm completely open to additional phrasing suggestions that still clearly gets the point across, and will edit appropriately.

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

The above is good but really all you need is a tiny bit more info than what is given and a lot of moxie. Specifically, you need to know DV (aka how far you can go) and TWR (less than 1.0 won't get you off the ground). Grab the mod manager and download the mod kerbal engineer (later, mechjeb2 when you get the hang of things).

With this info, when you're slapping parts on your rocket, you'll know whether you can get off the launchpad and then whether you have enough fuel to get to orbit. Generally speaking, a TWR higher than 2 is dangerous in low atmosphere and your rocket will become unstable. The magic number you're looking for is 3400, which is the minimum DV you need to get to orbit. Also, slap some fins on the bottom of your rocket. X in the builder turns on mirror (look lower left, you'll see the icon change).

When you succeed in orbiting, you'll need to use a DV map to plan a rocket to get to other places. It looks a bit confusing but you just add up the numbers along the way.

For some reason the developers flatly refused to give you this absolutely critical and basic piece of information and expected people to spend a lot of time doing something only to figure out you were doomed from the time you hit the spacebar on the launchpad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I just signed up for Xbox Game Pass (two months for $2, seemed like a deal) and tried Sea of Thieves this evening. My buddy and I were pretty lost the whole time. Any tips for it?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there any mod for Tales of Berseria to really knock down settings? I can play Sniper Elite 4 seemingly fine but Tales From Berseria seems to run slow enough to be painful while still being technically playable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any mod for Tales of Berseria to really knock down settings? I can play Sniper Elite 4 seemingly fine but Tales From Berseria seems to run slow enough to be painful while still being technically playable.

Probably SpecialK/TBFix: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/4/2741975115064708377/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shenmue (PS4): Hold L2 and use the stick to look at things closely. This is how you get translated subtitles for most signs, and it's also the way to interact with most things. Don't be fooled into thinking you just have to face them and look for the action button prompt, like I was.