Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Catching up with this thread and RPDR in general. Why is Eureka so disliked?

she's an abrasive self-victimizer who needs to go outside and have her drat cigarette.

She was also incredibly protected and only made it to the final so VH1/World of Wonder didn't get sued into the ground after her injury in S9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao that's some tinfoil hat tier poo poo. Eureka made it that far because she did well. There's no way WoW's rear end wasn't covered for on set injuries during season 9, them bringing her back was for the gag of having a ruturning queen again and her making it as far as she did was b/c she competed well-- nothing to do with risk of being sued.

Just b/c she's obnoxious af as a person doesn't mean she didn't earn her spot in the top 3 imo. She's a good performer, just not a very bright person outside of drag.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Ehhhh agree to disagree. I'm with the escape goat. Not necessarily so she wouldn't sue, but I'd probably say because second chance girls rarely do well plus big girls rarely do well.

Some of the episodes she legitimately did perform well, but on many others she received HELLA free passes and undeserved praise. Several times other queens received criticisms that she was also guilty of, but she was OMG just so CHARISMATIC and they'd gloss over it completely. The Cher episode criticisms come to mind- she was visibly nervous the whole time and underperformed but she GOT THERE and was just SO BRAVE so you're safe.
:thunk:

It was very frustrating to watch if you were on Team Eureka Sucks.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 30, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just mean there's no way it had anything to do with risk of being sued. I can def see them pushing her for storyline reasons, esp after the desired storyline of 'Trinity vs Eureka' in s9 was hosed over from the injury. It wouldn't be the first nor last time a girl has gotten further in the competition despite maybe not deserving it (tho I do still think Eureka was def one of the best performing girls of S10, and I'm not even like a big fan of hers or anything).

It's just the whole 'omg she only came back/got so far because world of wonder didn't want to get sued!' I see bandied around more often than not is annoying as hell b/c lmao their contracts for the show almost certainly covered risk of injury. WoW is a ramshackle af production but I've no doubt they had their asses covered for poo poo like that, especially since we've had queens getting injured on set since as far back as the season 4 wrestling challenge.

e: eureka also had a lot of fan support coming into s10 so I could see them wanting her to get at least midway or further into the season before going home/being a bit easier on her in some regards. i mean it's reality tv so ofc some poo poo is manufatured. just not b/c they were worried she would sue imo.

e2: she's also not the first queen to have slid past criticisms other competitors get nor will she be the last lmao, there's some favouritism played in every season. eureka just pisses people off in such a special way that I often see people getting really heated over it in a way that makes it seem like they think she's the first queen to ever have some kind of favouritism played on her w/r/t production

esperterra fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2018

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

The wins and a fair amount of the high placements she got were hella undeserved though, and Kameron got robbed in most of 'em. "Oh you killed Snatch Game and the talk show challenge because you played yourself perfectly!" gtfoh. There is no way her denim with 70's couch upholstery bodysuit outdid Kameron's Southern White Trash Big Titty Eleganza.

Anyone who says that Eureka earned the double shantay in the first round of lipsyncs in the finale is trippin' on something. There are only so many times you can pound your pussy into the stage and swiffer it with your taint before it becomes exhausting.

Though I will absolutely give her credit for the "Trade" minichallenge, I was cracking up the whole time. drat shame she had zero competition in that one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the escape goat posted:

"Oh you killed Snatch Game and the talk show challenge because you played yourself perfectly!"

fwiw two winners of Drag Race did nothing but play themselves perfectly in plenty of challenges, as well, Bianca and Bob. It's complaints like this that just make me confused/lol because sooo many people who did well coasted by on just being themselves/doing the same jokes/having the same looks, like people who leave with the crown and not just people who get far. It's just a part of Drag Race and always will be, but Eureka rubs people the wrong way (understandably, b/c she's obnoxious af even if she is a good performer) where someone like Bianca or Bob is far more charismatic so viewers don't give them the same poo poo for also coasting on the same jokes/personality/what have you.

tea for the double shantay in the finale was that Ru actually saved Aquaria fwiw, apparently she tripped and fell more than once and the theatre was loving gagged when it wasn't only Eureka moving forward. Ru clearly wanted Aquaria to win the crown lol.

The first double shantay during the season proper tho I think was p bullshit, that was a Eureka lsfyl as well wasn't it?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man I don't even like Eureka that much, but the double standard just blows my mind when she is by no means the first queen to have some kind of favouritism played on her/not get real criticism from the judges for not showing more versatility.

e: i think eureka had a severe case of the tyras when it came to her judging-- they only see what the queens bring them on stage or during the mini challenges, and eureka often did well there. since the judges never see the poo poo backstage it doesn't enter into the judging, so while the viewers may have agreed w/ tati that tyra was a complete bitch, or that eureka is obnoxious and plays the pity card too much, it's just not what they're being judged on so results may seem whack to the people at home

tho i do agree kameron was robbed in some challenges but kam was also my fave all year so I could be biased there lol

esperterra fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 30, 2018

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

During the season I talked so much (imho justified) poo poo about Eureka but the only two times that I felt she was legit protected by some bullshit were:

the escape goat posted:

Anyone who says that Eureka earned the double shantay in the first round of lipsyncs in the finale is trippin' on something. There are only so many times you can pound your pussy into the stage and swiffer it with your taint before it becomes exhausting.
and the double shantay when her and Kameron lip synched and Kameron loving killed it but Eureka kept around. She was a powerful performer and no matter how much I despise hearing her racist-rear end narcissistic bullshit I can't deny that she mostly made it through on her own power.

esperterra posted:

Man I don't even like Eureka that much, but the double standard just blows my mind when she is by no means the first queen to have some kind of favouritism played on her/not get real criticism from the judges for not showing more versatility.
Agreed; she fuckin just did Eureka over and over but how is that any different from literally 90% of fan favorites other than "her demeanor made my skin crawl"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Esperterra I agree with u. Eureka is obnoxious but the conspiracy theories are too much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think one thing everyone can agree on also is Eureka is terrible at social media and needs to stop usin' it so much and use that time to educate herself some more lmao

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

Esperterra I agree with u. Eureka is obnoxious but the conspiracy theories are too much.

jet fuel can’t melt steel corset boning

Real talk though; it’s not a conspiracy when it’s dead obvious.

Bob killed the entire game and showed a bunch of versatility but Bianca should have been read into the ground for wearing the same silhouette every dang runway. She did well, but definitely only played Bianca every time, which was admittedly exhausting.
Eureka wasn’t even outstanding on the runway! More loaves than a Franz bakery.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk if anyone was the clear favoured contestant in S10 it was clearly Aquaria, I haven't seen Ru look at a queen like that since Tyra almost lmao

luckily Aquaria ended up being surprisingly versatile and dope af

hell even asia to a lesser extent, who I think performed p badly for a finalist but was super mature and composed throughout and is a stellar queen

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Whalley posted:

how is that any different from literally 90% of fan favorites other than "her demeanor made my skin crawl"

I mean, charisma is explicitly one of the judging criteria, so I can't get too mad about someone getting by on charisma.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

jimmydalad posted:

So whomever linked Wannakiki, thank you so much! It’s an enjoyable show and I’m glad I get to be exposed to Pagan Holiday, Vajajay and Alexis. All 3 girls are amazing and everyone in general is fun and lighthearted. It isn’t the best show ever and it’s pretty low budget, but it’s still good.

I love Pagan's weird deep-voiced yell.

Also Dear Ruthie is a loving delight. I love workhorse queens who have a shtick down.

I keep thinking she's Adam Sandler though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the escape goat posted:

Though I will absolutely give her credit for the "Trade" minichallenge, I was cracking up the whole time. drat shame she had zero competition in that one.

she was tremendous in this (kameron was a close second-best) and the DragCon panel challenge.

she was pretty awful in the snatch game, though. just sheer annoying. and bizarrely, her appearance at the DragCon immediately after s10, everyone online was "jesus Eureka's stand was awful and bitchy and that girl had a massive chip on her shoulder the entire time"

esperterra posted:

I think one thing everyone can agree on also is Eureka is terrible at social media and needs to stop usin' it so much and use that time to educate herself some more lmao

this, one hundred percent. but a lot of my frustration with Eureka is that she needs to apparently educate herself on some elementary poo poo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Eureka wouldn't be the first Queen they dragged to the end, although I don't think it had anything to do with fear of a lawsuit. I think they've gotten a lot of criticism for not crowning a bigger Queen yet, I think she provided a good foil to the others, and you can't deny that she has a big personality. Aquaria can certainly hold her own, but Kameron and Asia are basically dullsville in terms of big personality.

Update on my gay podcast search from a couple of weeks ago.

Las Culturistas - An absolute utter delight, I fell in love with Bowen and Matt almost immediately.

Food 4 Thot - I've only listened to one episode so far, and it's a little too self-serious at times, but I did enjoy when they got into sharing sex stories.

And I know we've discussed Throwing Shade before, particularly their ignorance on most issues they discuss, but the latest episode stuck out as really egregious. Bryan was talking about the Pope's visit to Ireland and his meeting with the Prime Minister Leo Varadkar. Bryan mentioned that the PM seemed like a cool guy for speaking out for gay rights, but completely missed the major big deal that the Prime Minister of Ireland is an openly gay man. God, how did he miss something that huge.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Nihonniboku posted:

Asia are basically dullsville in terms of big personality.

what the gently caress am I reading in this thread on this day

(I used to listen to Throwing Shade too until them just COMPLETELY missing the point/misinterpreting things started driving me crazy)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You don't even have to reach that far to understand why people eye roll Eureka. Just scroll up to that picture of her trying to be a boss with $300 and a fan of $20s.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

^burtle posted:

You don't even have to reach that far to understand why people eye roll Eureka. Just scroll up to that picture of her trying to be a boss with $300 and a fan of $20s.

My friend: "that's not even rent in most cities anymore" :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

My friend: "that's not even rent in most cities anymore" :(

My rent is easily 15x what she's holding there lmao

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Well, I mean, she is from the Midwest...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main thing that aggravates me about Eureka is that she shamelessly dives on any speck of potential attention and gets really mad when the attention isn't focused on her although you could say that's just a drag stereotype taken to its logical extreme. Like when Gaga shows up in the workroom she has to be the one speaking the most to her and telling some kind of story that connects her to Gaga etc. It's just shameless, annoying and most importantly insincere

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Didn't Eureka admit that the Gaga thing legit was just a ploy for attention and camera time?

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

the escape goat posted:

Didn't Eureka admit that the Gaga thing legit was just a ploy for attention and camera time?

Wouldn't surprise me--my answer to the question of "why do people hate Eureka", for me* it's the overblown reactions to everything--I've had a ton of people in my life that just constantly. need. attention. all. the. time. and it's a visceral response for me. I wonder how much of it is in character and how much is her actual day-to-day personality. The queens I always root for are the ones that are being their authentic selves, in the context of a reality show competition, and I understand how absurd that sounds, but drag as a premise for a reality show is exploratory and I almost expect RPDR to be... above that? It's just weird to see someone play the Needy Girl to the letter.

*I don't hate Eureka, I think she's got her moments ("fuuuuuck"), but she can be grating sometimes and if I can't hyperbolize in a thread about drag queens I genuinely don't know where I can.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

warez posted:

Wannakiki E3: Whyyyyyyyy did they save the girl who has not made a single joke thus far and who looks like hot trash every challenge lol. This is bizarre.

CaptainScraps posted:

Wait until the new episode when they challenge people to make a dress out of a tent and she just cuts a hole in the top and wears it.

I agree but her final sign off of "I really hope some of you liked me. We are travesties, and we are beautiful" won me over. I wish we'd seen a little more of that rawness and that honesty before then. On the other hand when you're going up against competitive queens like Alexis and Muffy and Pagan (who put a ton of thought and effort into their runway looks) and super charismatic queens like Vajay J who is a natural performer and really pretty queens like O'Laysia who are going to look amazing whatever they wear I can totally understand why Kevvie was constantly doing pratfalls and dressing as kooky as possible.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Turns out Guy Fieri makes a reasonably decent drag name generator.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I agree but her final sign off of "I really hope some of you liked me. We are travesties, and we are beautiful" won me over. I wish we'd seen a little more of that rawness and that honesty before then. On the other hand when you're going up against competitive queens like Alexis and Muffy and Pagan (who put a ton of thought and effort into their runway looks) and super charismatic queens like Vajay J who is a natural performer and really pretty queens like O'Laysia who are going to look amazing whatever they wear I can totally understand why Kevvie was constantly doing pratfalls and dressing as kooky as possible.

I'll give her credit that it takes a ton of courage to do what she did when she knew that people weren't going to be kind. I respect that and I respect her for saying she's an active transwoman on the show itself.

I'm still amazed at Vajay J's use of comic timing and I think that Alexis's dress for that episode would have easily been top 3 on RPDR.

Please watch Camp Wannakiki instead of giving Eureka O'Hara more attention.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Time for a wannakiki separate thread

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Dragula and Drag Race Thailand didn't get separate threads, there's no reason to do so for Wannakiki.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm still amazed at Vajay J's use of comic timing and I think that Alexis's dress for that episode would have easily been top 3 on RPDR.

Vajay J is definitely my MVP. :allears:

I also get the feeling that a bunch of the queens went "Oh a youtube series, that'll be a bit of fun" but Alexis went "Oh hey a chance to do an extended audition for RP's Drag Race MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!" because holy smokes, the difference in effort and quality between the runway looks is a bit crazy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ICHIBAHN posted:

Time for a wannakiki separate thread

This is the general purpose drag media thread tbh. Don't get your toes all up in a hold.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Maybe I will tho

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

This is the general purpose drag media thread tbh. Don't get your toes all up in a hold.

Toe status: curled

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

Toe status: curled

Why the long o face

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Cazwell was on the latest episode of Race Chasers, and he was also a guest on the season finale of season 1. An interesting story Cazwell shared about Ru:

He and Ru were both headlining some pride festival in like 2007, and he went to the club where they were performing to do his soundcheck. He said that his soundcheck is super easy, he's a rapper who plays to a backing track. He is done in less than five minutes. His soundcheck was supposed to be 1:30, but the promoters told him that Ru wanted to move her soundcheck up to 1:30, and he'd have to wait until she was done.

1:30, no Ru. Cazwell again asks to do his soundcheck. He's told no, Ru will throw a fit if she shows up and sees that someone else is doing their soundcheck. Hours pass, still no Ru. Cazwell is still told he has to wait until Ru finishes hers.

Finally Ru showed up, but wouldn't enter the club until everyone there had gone downstairs because Ru wasn't in drag, and at the time nobody was allowed to see Ru out of drag. Cazwell was upset at first, but then he saw Ru perform, who was apparently so incredible that he let any resentment against Ru go.

So much so that when asked, Cazwell agreed to appear on Drag Race season 1, for $0, they didn't even put him up in lodgings, because World of Wonder was cheap as gently caress. Willam then butted in and said that WoW is still cheap and stingy as gently caress.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Finally watched Hurricane Bianca 2. It’s...uh...well I love Rachel Dratch and I wasn’t expecting so much Katya, so that was nice.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

zelah posted:

Finally watched Hurricane Bianca 2. It’s...uh...well I love Rachel Dratch and I wasn’t expecting so much Katya, so that was nice.

#JusticeForBarb

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nihonniboku posted:

Cazwell was on the latest episode of Race Chasers, and he was also a guest on the season finale of season 1. An interesting story Cazwell shared about Ru:

He and Ru were both headlining some pride festival in like 2007, and he went to the club where they were performing to do his soundcheck. He said that his soundcheck is super easy, he's a rapper who plays to a backing track. He is done in less than five minutes. His soundcheck was supposed to be 1:30, but the promoters told him that Ru wanted to move her soundcheck up to 1:30, and he'd have to wait until she was done.

1:30, no Ru. Cazwell again asks to do his soundcheck. He's told no, Ru will throw a fit if she shows up and sees that someone else is doing their soundcheck. Hours pass, still no Ru. Cazwell is still told he has to wait until Ru finishes hers.

Finally Ru showed up, but wouldn't enter the club until everyone there had gone downstairs because Ru wasn't in drag, and at the time nobody was allowed to see Ru out of drag. Cazwell was upset at first, but then he saw Ru perform, who was apparently so incredible that he let any resentment against Ru go.

So much so that when asked, Cazwell agreed to appear on Drag Race season 1, for $0, they didn't even put him up in lodgings, because World of Wonder was cheap as gently caress. Willam then butted in and said that WoW is still cheap and stingy as gently caress.

Rupaul shared that good coke with him, lol

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Nihonniboku posted:

This sounds pretty par for the course with WoW, but the way he explained it made it seem like it didn’t bother him at the time (he was already in the area for a gig and staying with a friend so it wasn’t a huge deal that they didn’t provide accommodations). Still a pretty juicy story with Ru’s diva behavior though.

I didn’t know Cazwell had such a thick New York accent. He sounds like one of the ladies from Coffee Talk at points lol. It’s oddly sexy.

warez fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Latest podcast update.

On this week's Race Chasers, Willam threw some shade in passing at Alyssa Edwards, but didn't really go into specifics.

Then my next podcast up was Las Culturistas, with guests Alaska and Willam. Willam again threw shade at Alyssa, and Matt and Bowen pressed him for details.

Basically, Willam prefaced it with that she thinks that Alyssa is an amazing performer, but that Alyssa is disrespectful of absolutely everybody's time. She is late to pretty much absolutely everything, to the point of missing flights, and subsequently things like Meet and Greets that fans pay for, which results in promoters having to eat that cost. She said that for a long time people let it slide because she's Alyssa, but she and other queens are fed up and done with it.

Which, I agree. As someone who is not just always on time, but pretty much always a couple of minutes early, I do find it disrespectful when people are perpetually late. Traffic happens. Accidents happen. Forgetting your wallet and having to run home real quick to get it happens. But to always be 15, 30, even 60 minutes late, that's disrespectful as gently caress.

And that's just my free time you're wasting. In Alyssa's case, when she's costing money for clubs, promoters, and her sister queens, that's not just disrespectful, that's unprofessional.

• Locked thread