Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nuggan posted:

Finished my paramotor training last weekend. It's an amazing and incredibly freeing form of flight. Just knowing I can come home from work on a nice day and go fly without having had to have rented a plane a day in advance is wonderful. I recommend it to everyone to give it a try!

This sounds so awesome. What are the costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Animal posted:

This sounds so awesome. What are the costs?

Lessons were $2500, which seems like the standard rate for them everywhere. I highly recommend them. One of those "you won't know how much you don't know until you take them" situations. Also it gives you a good chance to try it and see how awesome it is before you buy one.

Paramotors cost between $3k-$10k, depending on if you buy new or used, and how nice of one you get. They are 2 stroke engines, so just mix oil in some gas and go. Can use pump gas or avgas.

A wing costs $3k-$5k, again depending on if you buy used or new, and if you want a beginner wing or a fancy wing that is better for acro or cross country flying. Used wings go for around $1k of they don't be much life left. Modern wings last around 400 hours.

Again, I highly recommend just going for the training to get a nice sample of what is like.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 31, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Perfectly normal.

You’ll be deadass grabbing the controls and calmly explaining how your absolute last second maneuver prevented a crash in no time.

Once you’re comfortable enough to just deadass sit there with your hands on your lap letting them make the loving WORST DID SOMETHING JUST BREAK landings you’ll know you’ve arrived. :discourse:

Nah man, I'm good when I'm in the plane and I've already seen some horrendous stuff, but recommending students for their flight test (for some reason, this term is used almost exclusively instead of "checkride" in Canada) is a new source of anxiety. At least I have a supervising instructor to fly with them and pronounce them "acceptable" so I know I'm not completely loving up, I don't know how y'all do it in the US without the instructor-under-supervision system.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Usually I’m the one who doesn’t fully read a post before replying.

I haven’t flown my airplane in like 2 months. What is life?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

e.pilot posted:

...letting them make the loving WORST DID SOMETHING JUST BREAK landings you’ll know you’ve arrived. :discourse:
I actually LOLed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am now immune to caring about Severe Nosewheel Abuse, provided porpoising doesn't occur.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I am now immune to caring about Severe Nosewheel Abuse, provided porpoising doesn't occur.

My students would get two bounces before I took over.

“Welp we porpoised that one a bit, what went wrong there?”

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

Our mechanics would kill you for such a henious statement. Every one of our 172s has a shimmy damper issue :negative:

e.pilot posted:

My students would get two bounces before I took over.

“Welp we porpoised that one a bit, what went wrong there?”

I have a guy who, if he bounces a landing, has the throttle at full before he gets to the top of the bounce. I'm pretty ok with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

Our mechanics would kill you for such a henious statement. Every one of our 172s has a shimmy damper issue :negative:

Well, I shouldn't say I've stopped caring, but I've come to embrace it as an unavoidable consequence of teaching landings. You can only hold the yoke back for the student for so long before they have to learn to do it themselves.

I still keep my hand behind the yoke to control their inexplicable impulse to push the nose forward, though :psyduck:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuggan posted:

Finished my paramotor training last weekend. It's an amazing and incredibly freeing form of flight. Just knowing I can come home from work on a nice day and go fly without having had to have rented a plane a day in advance is wonderful. I recommend it to everyone to give it a try!

HHNGNGGGGHHHH

So jealous.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Adventures in International Flying:

Animal 121: “Napoli tower, Animal 121 holding short.”
NAP Tower: “Animal 121 traffic on final, line up and wait.”
Animal 121: “Line up and wait, Animal 121”
NAP Tower: “Roger.”

[A minute later, as we start wondering why he hasn’t launched us]

Traffic on Final: “Napoli Tower, aircraft in the runway, going around!”
NAP Tower: “ANIMAL 121 WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THE RUNWAY!!”
Animal 121: “You instructed us to line up and wait! I read it back to you!”
NAP Tower: “I MEANT LINE UP AND WAIT AFTER THEY LANDED!”

...what :psyduck:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

MrYenko posted:

HHNGNGGGGHHHH

So jealous.

It's taken its toll. Much more exercise than I was used to getting. Its been 5 days since my last flight, and my legs are still sore. Most of the arm bruises are finally gone though! Ground handling with just that wing strapped to you is a lot of work!

Animal posted:

Some dude in a massive twin engine something-or-other landed right behind me a week or two ago while I was in my little cherokee 140 still on the runway. I saw him barreling towards me as I was turning off the runway, swear he only missed me by 10-15 ft.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 31, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nuggan posted:

That's so badass, I wanna hear about the places you launch from. I'm imagining taking off from public parks but I can't figure out how to easily determine whether local ordinances prohibit that kind of thing.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

The Ferret King posted:

That's so badass, I wanna hear about the places you launch from. I'm imagining taking off from public parks but I can't figure out how to easily determine whether local ordinances prohibit that kind of thing.

The advice I got was try it wherever you like, until someone official-looking asks you to stop. Then you can try to get permission after that, but often the park officials don't understand how to give permission for that kind of thing, so it's rare that it happens. If no one tells you to stop you are good.

There are athletic fields right by my house that would be a great spot. If those don't work out I'm considering asking some of the neighbors who have a lot of land of they mind me launching and landing there.

I also might just go to the airport where I rent planes. It's small and untowered, and I should be fine to launch from there. I've seen people launch other types of ultralights there before. If I grab an Aviation radio it should a good spot. There's also a few even smaller grass field airports right by there that could also be a good idea.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 31, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nice. I actually live within a Class B surface area, but I don't have to drive far before I'm outside of it. Then it's just a matter of staying away from congested areas. Parks near lakes seemed ideal.

Oh, I still need to visit the local paramotor school I suppose.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Yeesh.

Had a controller get a tone with me today because he gave me a new route without the slightest heads up.

Center: “Rolo91 cleared destination now via AAAAA BBBBB J69 CCCCC DDDDD J696 EEEEE direct.”
Rolo91: “Yeah I need all of that again and spelled.”
Center: “R-O-L-O NINETY ONE...”

What did you expect, buddy?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Ferret King posted:

I've been watching this guy on Youtube intermittently for a few months since one of this videos popped up in my recommended list:

https://www.youtube.com/user/J3Cub2009/

He seems to prefer small airfields but uses athletic fields and random empty lots pretty regularly.

Definitely envious Nuggan, I hope in a year or two I'll have enough spare $$$ to consider getting in to this. It seems to be one of the best ways to fly for pure recreation, the equivalent of a back road drive with no real destination in mind, just dicking around seeing the sights.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

wolrah posted:

I've been watching this guy on Youtube intermittently for a few months since one of this videos popped up in my recommended list:

https://www.youtube.com/user/J3Cub2009/

He seems to prefer small airfields but uses athletic fields and random empty lots pretty regularly.

Definitely envious Nuggan, I hope in a year or two I'll have enough spare $$$ to consider getting in to this. It seems to be one of the best ways to fly for pure recreation, the equivalent of a back road drive with no real destination in mind, just dicking around seeing the sights.

Tucker is 100% what got me into this. When I first started my lessons the instructors asked what got me into this, and I said "Well, I've been watching some youtube videos..." and they just said "Welp, have to thank Tucker again for another student."

Its great that the community for this is still very small, everyone knows each other. I assume I'll end up meeting him as long as I go to some of they fly-ins.

Here is a video from my first 3 takeoffs/landings, after about 3 days of ground training beforehand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0sehSgqJ-M. By the end of the class I had 30+ flights in and looked much less awkward.

The backroad drive is a great comparison, thats pretty much exactly what its like. Or, its your own private little roller coaster.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 31, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was emailing back and forth with the Aviator PPG guys to square away the details for this record attempt earlier this year. They very graciously invited anyone from the facility to stop by their tent at Sun N Fun to hang out. Sadly, I couldn’t make it, but one of my coworkers did. Apparently at one point Eric from Aviator PPG introduced my buddy to Tucker Gott, thinking there’d be the normal reaction, except my buddy had never heard of him. :v:

I really need to get my house finished so I have disposable income, again.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

My state has a rule that you can’t take-off or land anyplace other than a state-licensed airport/seaport/heliport/etc except in an emergency. :smith:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

fordan posted:

My state has a rule that you can’t take-off or land anyplace other than a state-licensed airport/seaport/heliport/etc except in an emergency. :smith:

Which state is this, so I can not fly there?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
So after 2 years at the airlines I finally realized what CVG stands for: CoVinGton :aaaaa:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well I was right to be nervous about my flight test recommend.

Apart from the fact that the airplane is still in tip top shape, it was a more-or-less complete bed-making GBS threads.

Apparently the short-field takeoff went okay, and the straight-and-level by instruments went okay and that was about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have one recommend that passed so I’ll die with my perfect rear end record.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Maybe I need to be meaner and more arbitrary during lessons so the flight test will be relaxing by comparison :v:

And maybe this will be a lesson to the student on a number of things:

1) There is no such thing as an unnecessary flight for practice.
2) If the weather conditions in any way bother you, don't fly (I broke this on my own CPL checkride though, so :shrug:)
3) Don't fly because you're working to a deadline

Lessons 2 and 3 were expensive for him monetarily today, but they're cheap compared to how a lot of pilots end up learning them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nuggan posted:

Is this even enforceable?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

So after 2 years at the airlines I finally realized what CVG stands for: CoVinGton :aaaaa:

Lol noob

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also while in Covington don't forget to go to the creation museum!

And the aquarium! And uhhhh... I think thats literally it. Oh, theres also parking for walking across a bridge to Bengals/Reds games!

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

hobbesmaster posted:

If police were to show up I'd still rather not deal with it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Did my first ever multi flying of any kind in our Redbird yesterday with my old instructor to make sure everything was good before the Sim session with her student and God drat it now I need the money and time to go get some sort of actual multi time now.

Best part about this is we're working on bringing back a dormant policy where staff with ratings can go get current and/or do some additional training on the school's nickel, but guess who probably isn't going to be included because he's part time? :eng99:

Oh God, the first time I felt a shimmy damper issue was on one of DCA's 152s and I thought I'd broken the drat airplane. My instructor reassured me it wasn't me.

vessbot posted:

You're going to try to convince us the airport isn't actually in Ohio next.

(One of the restaurants in the terminal once had a slogan on their receipt which said CVG meant Cincinnati Very Good. I liked that one even though I knew that wasn't the reason.)

E-

hobbesmaster posted:

Also while in Covington don't forget to go to the creation museum!

And the aquarium! And uhhhh... I think thats literally it. Oh, theres also parking for walking across a bridge to Bengals/Reds games!

Kentucky Speedway is I think about 20 mi away and there's also that horse track by the airport if that's your thing because Kentucky. There's also an observation area just off 18 Left.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 1, 2018

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

Well I was right to be nervous about my flight test recommend.

Apart from the fact that the airplane is still in tip top shape, it was a more-or-less complete bed-making GBS threads.

Apparently the short-field takeoff went okay, and the straight-and-level by instruments went okay and that was about it.

My first recommend passed his PPL today :colbert:

also, flash back to exactly one year ago

+1 goon PPL as of today. Finally got my flying checkride with good weather. On to instrument!

:smuggo:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Nuggan posted:

New Jersey. I believe Ohio & Indiana have similar laws based on the Seaplane Pilots Association’s website (since seaplanes also tend to land at not-airports).

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure. Gustafson v. City of Lake Angelus has a seaplane pilot arguing that a law banning seaplanes on Lake Angelus was preempted by federal authority over aviation, but the federal courts decided on appeal that this was more a land/water use question than an aviation one so it wasn’t preempted by federal authority.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fordan posted:

New Jersey. I believe Ohio & Indiana have similar laws based on the Seaplane Pilots Association’s website (since seaplanes also tend to land at not-airports).

Well that's a bummer, one more reason to want to leave Ohio (insert astronaut joke here). I have a GA airport literally around the block from my house, but half the appeal was the idea of being able to just fly out to my friends' houses who live out in farmland and have plenty of property.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

wolrah posted:

Well that's a bummer, one more reason to want to leave Ohio (insert astronaut joke here). I have a GA airport literally around the block from my house, but half the appeal was the idea of being able to just fly out to my friends' houses who live out in farmland and have plenty of property.

From a quick look at Ohio laws, it seems like they only want to license airports before being used for commercial purposes and prohibit flights from/to public lands & waters without approvals/hearings/etc (which is why the SPA calls them out since basically all bodies of water are public). IANAL but if you wanted to do it you could probably confirm by calling the Ohio office of aviation.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ohio - home of the wright brothers.

NO FLYING WITHOUT PERMITS.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

“America is a nation of laws” - some rear end in a top hat probably

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
If the cops come just fly away! :yayclod:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Thanks to a very nice corporate pilot from Minnesota who stopped in at the flying club where I work today, I got to sit in one of my ultimate dream airplanes: the PC-12.

That poo poo is nice and if I hit the lottery I am going to buy one. Assuming that won't happen, I'm going to try and hook myself up with a similar corporate gig because that plane is sweet!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

Thanks to a very nice corporate pilot from Minnesota who stopped in at the flying club where I work today, I got to sit in one of my ultimate dream airplanes: the PC-12.

That poo poo is nice and if I hit the lottery I am going to buy one. Assuming that won't happen, I'm going to try and hook myself up with a similar corporate gig because that plane is sweet!

My dream lottery plane is similar: TBM :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Animal posted:

My dream lottery plane is similar: TBM :swoon:

I also like the TBM very much, but I think the PC-12 edges it out by just a bit because of its excellent short-field performance and greater payload, in my books at least.

Suffice to say, I would consider it to be a dream job if I got hired to fly either one. There's something that appeals to me about them that I just don't get from jets.