Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PokeJoe posted:

everything has a dusting of ash and my eyes are always burning :(

on the bright side, it's a great time to buy some futuristic goggles to wear for your travels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
here i am, hiking with my welding googles

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

bomp

Turns out the haze is from Idaho and not calif but who cares, seeing the Teton mountains was supposed to be my redemption for 8 months of bullshit at work but I might as well have looked at a painting of them. I’m never coming back to Yellowstone/Teton because you can’t see anything there unless you have 1) time 2) lots of money to blow on a room inside the parks and not have to drive in and out each day (see 1)

yeah i really don't enjoy the big parks, honestly. they're beautiful but full of people and really not a good place to have an enjoyable wilderness experience. there are places nearly as beautiful without the crowds. (yosemite tip: spend at most 2 days in yosemite, and then head to king's canyon).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i really don't enjoy the big parks, honestly. they're beautiful but full of people and really not a good place to have an enjoyable wilderness experience. there are places nearly as beautiful without the crowds. (yosemite tip: spend at most 2 days in yosemite, and then head to king's canyon).

my fav yosemite tip: go in december. still breathtaking, and nearly deserted. also: less likely to be on fire

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Nothing against nature as such but I prefer traveling through inhabited rural areas & bypassed towns & seeing the path of human settlement

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gazpacho posted:

Turns out the haze is from Idaho and not calif but who cares, seeing the Teton mountains was supposed to be my redemption for 8 months of bullshit at work but I might as well have looked at a painting of them.

:(

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvjjrIz_JTI

roughin it

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
i went hiking in a nice place last week and now here i am working late and i know: computers were a mistake

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm going backpacking on a tiny island this weekend. probably only like 2 miles from the dock to campsite but that just means I can bring beer

might get kayaks next summer so we can just paddle over and camp for free

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kayaking is great

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's some boat in only campsites in puget sound that I think you can kayak to.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
havent been kayaking in 15 or so years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmmmm I could go canoeing sometime

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
canoes are kinda cool but im not too keen on the switching sides to paddle all the time.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kayaks are superior to canoes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

canoes are kinda cool but im not too keen on the switching sides to paddle all the time.

learn 2 j-stroke u scrub

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

just use an outboard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

learn 2 j-stroke u scrub

no u :mad:

Silver Alicorn posted:

just use an outboard

there we loving go.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the things my dad left to us was a 25 foot cedar strip canoe built for moose hunting. normally it would have been paddled by a team of 8 guys but it also has a square transom for an outboard motor. we have a 10hp mercury and it scoots pretty well. long, narrow waterline.

it's a gigantic loving pain to haul it to the water but it would be a pretty dang classy way to take the whole family on a trip if i had like 5 kids

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what makes it for moose hunting? can it accommodate eight people and an animal?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yee

i mean it's just a giant canoe, ultimately, but deep in the canadian shield that's what it was built for. carry a whole hunting party plus a week's supplies plus a dead moose or a couple of deer or like five hundred birds

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

interesting.

on a side note, this reminds me that I’ve been told that enfield .303s were a popular moose gun back in the day.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change title to "camping megathread" due to a lack of yosposters actually leaving tech behind tia

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's true, i camped in a tent with a wood stove and an electric lantern. not nearly primitive enough for stymie who offline communicates exclusively with grutns

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 1, 2018

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i meant leaving tech as a job behind, dingus

feel free to play at your mountain man fantasies if you want

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

it's true, i camped in a tent with a wood stove and an electric lantern. not nearly primitive enough for stymie who offline communicates exclusively with grutns

ooh was it a big canvas wall tent? that's one of my favorite setups

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wish stymie would offline communicate exclusively

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

im not sure i could camp out anywhere even one night without being killed by my own incompetence and sheltered...ness

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i can’t anywhere without electricity because cpap. :owned:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

i can’t anywhere without electricity because cpap. :owned:

Nah, not a prob. li-ion batt pack and maybe an inverter. some cpaps take 12v and can plug into the packs directly.

the reviews for the one i just bought for my ham rig indicate that it's popular for CPAPs and they get like 10 hours of runtime off one charge. throw a 20w solar panel and it's back up to full every evening.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cool! what’s a setup like that cost?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my battery (which they state as giving 10h runtime ballpark) was 49 bucks. a cheap inverter is like 30 if you have a 120v only cpap.

under a hundo and you're good for a one or two nighter. add a solar panel for $70 and you can camp indefinitely :unsmith: stuff's not bulky either. my pack is the size of like 2 packs of smokes (yeah great analogy right) and maybe a pound

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

awesome! thanks for the suggestion.

it’s just crazy enough to work...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

im not sure i could camp out anywhere even one night without being killed by my own incompetence and sheltered...ness

in the summertime, most parts of the US you'd have a hard time actually dying. you could just lay down and sleep outside, you'd be fine except for the mosquito bites. you can go days without eating, just make sure you have some water with you.

that said it's really nice to have a tent and a sleeping bag and the ability to make hot food/drinks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and a comfy place to sit/lay

hammock crew what up

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

in the summertime, most parts of the US you'd have a hard time actually dying. you could just lay down and sleep outside, you'd be fine except for the mosquito bites. you can go days without eating, just make sure you have some water with you.

that said it's really nice to have a tent and a sleeping bag and the ability to make hot food/drinks.
you can coccoon yourself in a sleeping bag liner which has a mesh face mask you can breathe through but the bugs can't get in

works ok. as does mesh over the hammock

sleeping outside is great except for the dew

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 1, 2018

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Stymie posted:

mods please change title to "camping megathread" due to a lack of yosposters actually leaving tech behind tia

I did this.

Left EA, and now I sell meat and alcohol. That's my story.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stymie posted:

this is the thread about wanting to leave tech, actually doing it is a bonus

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
strongly considering renting or buying a really cheap place out in the sticks and just doing whatever for a while

or maybe going back to work for the park service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

camping trip was nice. hiked about 18 miles and slept on the beach. saw lots of adorable deer and baby raccoons :kimchi:

only issue was rando fucks with boats/massive yachts mooring and coming to my beach to just scream for the daylight hours. i had to hike inland to get away from them

there are kayak-only spots all over the sound which is cool.

really want one now, but i have no way to transport it without spending a grand on roof rack

island 10/10
tech fucks with boats: guillotine