Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Finished my first solo project last week.

I decided I want to do 8 more of this pattern but in different colors and frame them to hang over my desk (where I do my nails).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
That's totally great, I love it!

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally finished this back stitch thing that's been languishing in my project bag since last summer. I hate that back stitch looks so good because MAN I don't like doing it. I mean I'm fussy by nature but even I have limits.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I was part of a cross-stitch exhibition last week. It was my second such exhibition, and I got to show off my giant Elvis in public for the first time.

It's 120cm x 60cm, and has stitches approximately every 2cm.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
That's boss - what's the medium, is that peg board?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Angry Pie posted:

That's boss - what's the medium, is that peg board?

ah cheers. yeah it's a pegboard painted white, and wool.

Was rough trying to match wool colours and thicknesses, so some colours used two strands, others used three. But cause it looks better from a distance you don't really notice.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

that's insanely rad
(i won't specify what is, cos it's everything in this thread)

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I've been showing my wife this and the crochet thread. Such amazing stuff in here! She just finished a massive mermaid cross stitch she's been working on for years and now she's on a bit of a pokemon kick. I had to post these!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Finished a Pokémon present for a friend!

Pattern generated using CStitch, but then I spent a bunch of time cleaning it up to get a solid black outline and nice clean lines for the shading etc.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I've been taking some embroidery and sewing classes with an artist at my local library

Its fun

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi thread! I'm dipping my toes into historical reenactment, and the sewing thread told me there were some historical sewing nerds here?

I've been looking over this link for some ideas to create a basic low-status 'viking' garment, to practice for more complicated stuff since I haven't sewed anything since forever

In time I'd like to get a viking market stall booth because I do a lot of reconstructionist poo poo (herbal tinctures, shamanic augury and healing performances etc.), but for now I'm in the babbys first pattern area. I thought I'd ask here if you have any more ideas for how to make cool historically accurate period* clothing

* Scandinavia 800-1100 AD ish, it's for a series of not too academically stringent "viking markets" here in Denmark, so all ideas are welcome!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I haven't updated in a while, so here's a halfway there progress of my current piece. It's mostly well-defined, enough so that I can basically pick a section and be able to locate myself in the pattern. There's something like 9 months at an hour or two invested into this? I'm also collecting the thread ends because I've never done that and while I wasn't convinced when all I was working on were the yellows, now that there's some variation it's interesting.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Tias posted:

Hi thread! I'm dipping my toes into historical reenactment, and the sewing thread told me there were some historical sewing nerds here?

That would be correct! I'm away from home for a few days but when I'm back I'll be happy to make a small effortpost for you. I play Viking in the SCA and know Some Things. :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

That drat Satyr posted:

That would be correct! I'm away from home for a few days but when I'm back I'll be happy to make a small effortpost for you. I play Viking in the SCA and know Some Things. :)

That would be extremely appreciated, thanks!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Sage Grimm posted:

I haven't updated in a while, so here's a halfway there progress of my current piece. It's mostly well-defined, enough so that I can basically pick a section and be able to locate myself in the pattern. There's something like 9 months at an hour or two invested into this? I'm also collecting the thread ends because I've never done that and while I wasn't convinced when all I was working on were the yellows, now that there's some variation it's interesting.

Wow, it looks great so far!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I make a meager living cross-stitching; could I show some of my pieces off here?

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yes! I do cross stitch almost exclusively (though I really AM trying to branch out, it's just hard because I can't learn from books) and I always love to see other people's work.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

SWEET.

My first showing was 100 made-up band names. Here are some favourites:

I do a lot of text, especially poo poo that makes me angry:

I sell a lot of bookmarks:

And I cross-stitch onto a lot of my clothes:

My newest series is me making pieces from the art of friends of mine. I live in Toronto so I'm pretty lucky to know some amazing visual artists. I started with Chip Zdarsky and one of his Sex Criminals covers:

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Those are loving great!! Do you sell patterns, or just finished pieces? I'm curious to know how a person can actually make a living from this, especially since Toronto ain't exactly a cheap place to live. Though that's a bit nosy so if you don't want to say, I get it.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Angry Pie posted:

Those are loving great!! Do you sell patterns, or just finished pieces? I'm curious to know how a person can actually make a living from this, especially since Toronto ain't exactly a cheap place to live. Though that's a bit nosy so if you don't want to say, I get it.

You’re so kind.

I only sell finished pieces! I take commissions as well. I sold a chart once and got stiffed so I’m wary of trying again.

I definitely don’t make my living from it alone but I prefer calling myself an artist so I have a reason to get up every day. Toronto is expensive but it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Those are really gorgeous! How'd you do the embroidery on the apron? Did you iron cross stitch fabric onto the inside to get the spacing right, or something?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

legendof posted:

Those are really gorgeous! How'd you do the embroidery on the apron? Did you iron cross stitch fabric onto the inside to get the spacing right, or something?

I used waste canvas and a very sharp needle. Waste canvas is a huge pain in the rear end but the results are amazing!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Oh my god, those are amazing. Do you sell your work online or at craft fairs and such?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Do you have an Etsy? I need that Hitachi bookmark in my life.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I mostly go by word of mouth. Hopefully I’ll have another showing next year at a bar or restaurant like my 100 Band Names series. I never use my Etsy anymore but I have a Tumblr!

http://stitchbewitch.tumblr.com/

Y’all are so sweet. Message me and we can barter!

Metaline fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 12, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

That drat Satyr posted:

Yo Satyr, you back soon?

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I upgraded the Wifi sign for my favourite bar because the original was very basic. It's a craft bar so I figured it'd fit :v:

There are a few mistakes (the last row drops an entire row) but for shrinking, stained, 18 count aida and only my 3rd ever thing (which I designed and freehanded myself), I'm dead happy.

They loved it :3:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hello thread! I keep meaning to post in here since I too like making little X's on fabric. First some recent(ish) things:

And the current projects:

This drat thing has been kicking around for something like 4 years at this point because I keep picking it up and putting it down again since it's soo huge. Never again am I going to do something that takes up most of a GBA screen. (It's from this) and it's getting put on hold again for this:

Which is for a friend. It's just been started but it will be the two characters from the animation Over The Garden Wall in the woods, silhouetted.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Tias posted:

Yo Satyr, you back soon?

HEY sorry I fell in a hole and literally died. I am alive now.

Ok, so... Viking /Norse clothing/embroidery/general look stuff.

The reason I was drawn to the Nordic cultures is because they are really so simplistic. Women essentially wore their 'wealth' as glass beads and trinkets in most regions with giant 'turtle' broaches, and really that's the fanciest thing they had going on.

https://en.natmus.dk/historical-knowledge/denmark/prehistoric-period-until-1050-ad/the-viking-age/the-people/clothes-and-jewellery/

This link has some very good descriptions of the basic types of garments that men and women of a few regions and social statuses would have worn, as well as a good amount of photos etc.

The most basic garment of any 'early' period culture is a basic "t tunic" which is basically exactly what it sounds like - a very roughly patterrnd garment that could be made any length (so it was easily a man's tunic or a woman's undergarment pattern), with minor alterations depending on personal style preferences.

You can find a metric crapload of patterns for these tunics (and just about any historical garment you would ever care to make) on Pinterest. This is a pattern that I often use for my husband's garb, that's super easy to modify (I hate the gathered neck on this for instance and usually make it like a V neck cut - there's a little write-up here that has a bunch of good samples: https://maniacalmedievalist.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/neckline-variations-from-period-sources/ )

https://pin.it/y3b5yno7pzq7xp

And another, with several mix-and-match styles:
https://pin.it/2z4bunkt6og725

All of this is assuming you're a dude (if not, sorry!). Women's clothing is honestly very similar, just with the extra over dress that's... Literally just a fitted tube or squares of fabric joined up with straps.

As far as decorations go, as I mentioned women wore beads and jewelry, but as far as I'm aware (but this is something I am, admittedly not that knowledgeable on) men 'wore their wealth' with more expensive materials and embroideries. Vikings were very fond of applique techniques and you see that quite often in more elaborate reenactment kits. Stuff to decorate the necklines and hems of their best shirts, cloaks, or whatever. There is hard evidence of this technique from the Oseberg gravesite, and there's a decent post about it here:

http://cathyscostumeblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/viking-applique.html?m=1

The blog I linked a little ways above with neckline examples actually has a lot of quite good posts on it. These two might particularly be helpful:
https://maniacalmedievalist.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/viking-age-accessories-part-1-intro-and-women/

https://maniacalmedievalist.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/viking-age-accessories-part-2-men-shopping/

ANYWAY I really hope some of this is helpful. Sorry I took so long to get back to you. If I can help more please let me know, this time I will be less bad about being slow to get back to you.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 11, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

More than enough to get started, thanks! Do you have messages now?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Finally finished a gift for a friend that I've been working on for the past year:

Link to Imgur album with WIP and dark photos (it didn't photograph well on my phone, but all the white stitching is glow-in-the-dark!)

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
I love it! I never even knew glow in the dark floss was a thing, I'm definitely gonna look into that.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

That is amazing! I also did not know about glow in the dark floss and must get some for future projects.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

I didn't know about it either; I went into the store with the purpose of getting some sparkly floss and then saw the glow-in-the-dark and was like "WELL that's even better." It's made of nylon rather than cotton, so it was a little stretchy which made it slightly more difficult to thread the needle as well as keep the tension even. But I was really happy with the finished look of it!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's been two months but it's finally done! It's amazing how long something monochrome can take.

(Please don't die embroidery thread!)

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

i cross-stitched a wearable wrestling belt

it's the WWE womens smackdown championship belt, if you're curious.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Everyone in this thread is so talented :swoon:

My girlfriend taught me how to do embroidery recently. Here are my first two projects so far.

I wish I would’ve picked it up earlier as it’s extremely fun but it’s totally NOT FOR BOYS etc thx society

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Everyone in this thread is so talented :swoon:

My girlfriend taught me how to do embroidery recently. Here are my first two projects so far.

I wish I would’ve picked it up earlier as it’s extremely fun but it’s totally NOT FOR BOYS etc thx society

No no you see it’s for boys if you call it MAKING. CRAFTING is for girls only.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kilometers Davis posted:

You're in luck: according to football player Rosey Grier needlepoint is, in fact, for men! Personally I suck at free form embroidery so I tend to stick to the rigidity of cross stitch, both your samples look great though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Your first works are lovely! Please don't be discouraged because embroidery is "girly", because it sure as heck isn't. Some of the best needleworkers I know are dudes and they are fierce as hell with a needle.

Thread contribution:
I'm just home from a UK trip and I found an amazing little needlework shop in the town I was staying in, Hemel Hempstead. They carry something that I've never been able to find here in the states - DMC's full line of wool embroidery thread/yarn/whatever you want to call it. It's usually what you would use for crewel or tapestry work, but it's got a ton of other applications as well. It's not quite as cheap as the regular cotton floss that we get here in the states is (85p per hank, which is like... maybe $1.50/each?) but considering the rarity... meh?

The best part? They also take online mail orders!
http://www.needlecraftstore.co.uk/

If this sounds cool to you, please check them out, as they are a very tiny hole in the wall store and were amazingly patient with me while I went in there and picked through their stock so many times. :D