Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dolash posted:

Complicated theorycrafting only ever seems to be just that - theorycrafting - rather than anything relevant to an actual game people will ever play. Like, if your city-killer requires being level 12, you're going to have to play so many sessions just to get to level 12 from level 1 that it's a pretty silly thing to focus your attention on. The game'll probably end when someone's schedule changes and the group can't find a new day they're all free to play on before you reach that point. Not to mention anything that requires a bunch of splatbooks is as easily derailed as "oh well we're not going to use that splatbook", they're all optional to begin with.

I don't think I've ever played a campaign that's lasted longer than ten sessions or seen levels higher than five outside of a one-shot, so it's hard to imagine these long-term consequences of system design. Building the optimal 20th-level character sounds like planning for the heat death of the universe.

I mean I've never played a campaign starting from level 1. Low level 3.5 is awful and starting at level 5 or 10 gives most of the good classes (the splat book ones) some fun stuff to do. :shrug: it also opens up more stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I would like to hear stories about creative combinations of low cost/power magic items/artifacts.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would let my players do the city bomb, we would all laugh, play about an hour of consequences, and then time would reset.

I know what my players want and I'm good friends with them anyways though. The one time I dmed for a complete group of strangers was a complete poo poo show.

Zore posted:

I mean I've never played a campaign starting from level 1. Low level 3.5 is awful and starting at level 5 or 10 gives most of the good classes (the splat book ones) some fun stuff to do. :shrug: it also opens up more stories.
My last finished module I did with my characters started at lvl 1. I felt so bad for my oracle and paladin player...

(Pathfinder is what we play)

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 1, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is the Material plane the observable physical universe and how does it work with spelljammer. Is the astralplane also basically The Warp?

Spelljammer technically still takes place in the Material Plane. In Spelljammer each Material Plane World and however their Solar System and stars works are inside a Crystal Sphere. Spelljammer ships can leave that Sphere and travel through the space full of phlogiston between the Crystal Spheres can travel to them.

The Astral Plane could be thought of a much less evil warp. But it's much more empty then the warp and mainly just contains portals to other planes. (Including other Materiel Plane worlds.) There is one known Landmass in the Astral Plane. Namely the corpses of dead gods. Which grow to a giant size and calcify into a rock like substance. Many of them also break apart and so send many rocks and stuff throughout the void of the Astral Plane.

For fun the trademarked creatures that live there and don't bother the gods as mentioned by Thor are the Githyanki. A race of humanoid Astral Raider who made a city on a dead god's corpse. The Githyanki will take their astral ships through portals in the plane and invade the Material Plane for whatever things they want. Time does not pass on the Astral plane so they don't need to steal things like food or drink. But they do anyway once in a while if only to try and taste good wine and food. Any stop in the Material plane the Githyanki make is usually very short. As once they leave the Astral Plane time starts trying to catch up to them, so weeks they spend on the material plane start becoming years to them and aging to death is something the Githyanki don't want to do.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I would like to hear stories about creative combinations of low cost/power magic items/artifacts.

It's not really a creative combo but my low-level sorcerer had boots of spider climbing and some Goggles of Scorching Ray that I crafted so I climbed up walls and shot beams out of my eyes, that was pretty fun.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is the Material plane the observable physical universe and how does it work with spelljammer. Is the astralplane also basically The Warp?

Take a look at the top-right of this poster for a visualization. Basically, yeah: all the D&D campaign worlds were, collectively, considered "the material plane". (Except for Ravenloft, which was a separate demiplane.)

D&D didn't really have an equivalent of the Warp; the phlogiston, the space outside crystal spheres, is what you use to travel rapidly between star systems. And it wasn't inherently malevolent. Just flammable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I really liked Ravenloft as a setting but I was a poo poo DM in highschool whenever I tried to run it and did a poo poo rear end job

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

You don't have to allow every splat book at your tablet, lmao
I love 4E and its PC tools, but the character builder in particular has led to this default mindset of "everything ever published for the system is allowed" because it's all right there, and I really dislike that.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you will all love the name of the area where the underdark (big underground cave place) intersects with the shadowfell, the shadowdark

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Or the polar opposite, the cavern network beneath the Feywild, the Feydark.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

It's the Underwild

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The WildDark

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Every single one of these sounds like a Warrior Cats name.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
They're all Image Comic teamups from the 90s

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

The opposite of the Feywild is the Sadorder, or as it's know today "cubicle"

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The worst part is that the Feydark and Shadowdark are the actual names.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Well yeah, the Underwild is actually Australia

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

How many hit dice does a kangaroo have?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So to wrap this to Order of the Stick. I wasn't able to find my signed copies of the first couple books but I did grab my copy of the board game from my dads house the other day. Haven't done more than dust it off I remember it being fun but loooooooooooooooooooong

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Len posted:

So to wrap this to Order of the Stick. I wasn't able to find my signed copies of the first couple books but I did grab my copy of the board game from my dads house the other day. Haven't done more than dust it off I remember it being fun but loooooooooooooooooooong

Yeah. Me and some buddies from work played it one evening, and all I can remember is that it took a really, really long time to finish, and that me as Belkar undermining the entire team was fun.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That was my major takeaway from the one time I played it. Way too long. I can't believe no one spoke up during playtesting and said "You know, maybe this shouldn't take four hours to play."

I also kind of remember Roy's Great Cleave move trivializing a lot of the combat, but we may have been playing it wrong.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nipponophile posted:

That was my major takeaway from the one time I played it. Way too long. I can't believe no one spoke up during playtesting and said "You know, maybe this shouldn't take four hours to play."

I also kind of remember Roy's Great Cleave move trivializing a lot of the combat, but we may have been playing it wrong.

So how exactly does one exploit Roy's Great Cleavage?

Roy has boobies!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Most games take less and less time to complete the more you play them (as people internalize the rules and their strategies get more efficient with trial and error). The OOTS game, weirdly, takes longer and longer to play as you gain experience (because you get better at finding the pain points that screw the other players, which extends the game length).

It's telling that the one expansion they released for it was focused on making the game shorter (most boardgame expansions add things to the game and make it run longer)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I seem to remember it taking forever to get to the bottom but the trip back up was trivial since all monsters fled and by that point most of our gently caress you cards were used up. We only played it a couple times though

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:frogsiren: #1139: To Remember Them By

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

:stare:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well. That is not what I was expecting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Welp, them odds aren't looking stellar as of right now...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay, that's a twist I didn't see coming.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well holy gently caress

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well, there are "repeated failures" and there is that. :stare: What is this place, the demi-plane of divine failure?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next strip Tres Horny Boys land in their ship, Taako takes one look around and says "Oh gently caress, we are not qualified for this! Peace!" and they all leave.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well! That certainly explains... loving nothing and only raises a lot more questions!

But holy poo poo :aaa:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
That's a lot of butt plugs...

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

I'm not sure "yikes" is a strong enough term.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
order of the stick is now the good place

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

holy

gently caress

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh. So...this Snarl thing seems kind of serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Well! That certainly explains... loving nothing and only raises a lot more questions!

But holy poo poo :aaa:

If nothing else, it explains why a fair amount of the gods at the Godsmoot were so cavalier about destroying the current world.

... oh god. I just had a thought.

What if the world that Blackwing saw in the Azure City Rift wasn't the same world that the rest of the Order saw in the Western Rift?

The Snarl is made from the same threads that comprise the world/its prison. That means, that in a sense, the Snarl is its own prison, and looking through the rifts means you're looking inside the Snarl itself.

I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn.

Oh jeez oh man oh jeez oh man oh jeez oh man... :ohdear: