Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boksi posted:

Since Wiz mentioned the possibility of adding the ability to 'embrace' crime to a degree, I thought a bit about how that would work. I'd say the simplest way to implement it would be a civic, requiring you to not be egalitarian(but not requiring autocracy, to let you have a corrupt so-called 'democracy'). This civic would make enforcers very poor at reducing crime from ruler-strata pops(and perhaps less effective in general), but also enabling an 'oligarch' crime job for those ruler pops as well, which increase crime and decrease planet productivity, but generate influence to represent their symbiotic relationship with the government. So long as the oligarchs are happy, crime events are less frequent and/or less nasty(lots of general crime, but the big destabilizing stuff is kept under control), but if you piss them off you'll have to deal with the fact that your nation is a crime-ridden hellhole.
I feel like this is representing Russia a little too closely. However, I actually think the system as described will already kind of do this if you're an oligarchy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Crazycryodude posted:

Does the planet also have a groundside FTL inhibitor on it, like a fortress or whatever? That could be the problem if you've taken out the space-based inhibitor but still can't pass.

E: There is indeed a planetside FTL inhibitor, that's what the red magnet means. You have to either take the colony or bomb it until all the fortresses are destroyed to be able to pass.

Ah this was what I was missing nice one!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Enforcers are called that instead of Police because their job isn't to reduce or prevent crime, it's to maintain control. In a genuine democracy they work for the people, in an oligarchy or dictatorship they commonly raid political groups and only kick over the criminal operations that aren't serving the interests of rulers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are there any other ethos that pair well with a life seeded start besides an inward perfection build? I’m thinking of making my next race be life seeded so that I can pretend my people see themselves as a shining city on a hill, but at the same time don’t really them to be a bunch of space racists... diplomacy with the AI isn’t super engaging, but I feel like avoiding it entirely would cut back on some emergent story telling.

You could go materialist and use droids to colonise other worlds, you could go xenophile to try to attract migrants, you can invade/infiltrate primitive worlds and use their pops to colonise (either as slaves or free citizens depending on your dickishness). Build habitats too. I don't see life-seeded as being particularly restrictive in terms of the ethos or species.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reveilled posted:

You could go materialist and use droids to colonise other worlds, you could go xenophile to try to attract migrants, you can invade/infiltrate primitive worlds and use their pops to colonise (either as slaves or free citizens depending on your dickishness). Build habitats too. I don't see life-seeded as being particularly restrictive in terms of the ethos or species.
Go Feudal and sit in your perfect world bossing around the riff raff. It's not that they're beneath you, you're just above them. Totally different.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can't wait to get better diplomacy and specially better vassal interactions.

I don't want to annex anyone, I don't want to forcefully integrate or oppress other cultures. All I want is some sort of defensive alliance, enforced ideology, and some ways for me to help un-gently caress your planets and borders.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Go Feudal and sit in your perfect world bossing around the riff raff. It's not that they're beneath you, you're just above them. Totally different.

Haha very well said!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Can't wait to get better diplomacy and specially better vassal interactions.

I don't want to annex anyone, I don't want to forcefully integrate or oppress other cultures. All I want is some sort of defensive alliance, enforced ideology, and some ways for me to help un-gently caress your planets and borders.
I feel like if you're enforcing their ethics and altering their planetary development and borders you may be interfering with their culture already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nessus posted:

I feel like if you're enforcing their ethics and altering their planetary development and borders you may be interfering with their culture already.

Yes, I want to be their space-dad and help raise them right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want the oppression to be for their own good and for them to like it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

wiegieman posted:

Enforcers are called that instead of Police because their job isn't to reduce or prevent crime, it's to maintain control.

So, wait, why aren't they called police then?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

OwlFancier posted:

I want the oppression to be for their own good and for them to like it.

Get Nerve stapling and you can have both and neither.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Yes, I want to be their space-dad and help raise them right.
Find some roaches, ya weirdo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I'm willing to bet the experiments you're referring to involve evolutionary programming. Similar experiments resulted in robots who learned how to lie. Empathy, co-operation, and altruism all exist because in social animals contributing to the welfare of the group tends to result in better survival rates for your family's genes. It emerged in the described experiments because co-operating helped achieve the group goals, which applied evolutionary pressure favouring the emergent co-operative behaviour.

We could try programming sapient beings who are only co-operative and altruistic, but lol if you've ever used a computer and yet can't imagine people loving that up. Especially since being able to make judgement calls about what someone actually wants requires at least a facsimile of empathy, meaning programming robits to at least comprehend how humans think, which is AI goes crazy plot number 3.

To be clear, I'm very much in favour of the angry robits system for gameplay purposes, and I'm not arguing that creating the perfect altruistic being would be impossible, but if you think that people creating selfish sapient robits would be unrealistic I direct your attention to the late and much mourned President Fleet Consciousness.

Oh no, selfish robots and all kinds of demented AI are 100% in our future, with humans being humans, that's pretty much a given. I was just pointing out that empathy and all that stuff isn't coming from instincts. That's why you for example had to start with social animals, as only higher forms of life with a large brain can develop these kinds of behavior. Social animals (like humans), have to train their offspring in co-operative and altruistic behavior, or you get problems. Of course, with co-operation things are more muddled, as basically mindless animals like ants also are capable of large-scale cooperation. (Why that is I don't know, though.)

OK, so co-operation obviously can show up as instinctive behavior, so maybe I'm totally wrong. :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You should view every ant in a colony as an organ of the queen. Scent trails and chemical suggestions lead them around to do her bidding, discarding any other output beside basic survival instincts. When ants cooperate, "they" literally do it as one being, with the queen overriding all other priorities.

Ants are so very, very alien to how we function, and yet we emulate them in a lot of ways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mole rats I think would be a better analogy as I don't think they have quite the same structure as an ant colony.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Random thought, any chance of the marketing guys or whatever making Utopia like a baseline include for Stellaris at some point? I can't imagine recommending any new players come into the game without having Utopia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey, am I right in thinking there was a mod that halved planet size and double planetary resources? A friend asked about it to help their performance on their potato but I can't track it down. Help appreciated!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Oh no, selfish robots and all kinds of demented AI are 100% in our future, with humans being humans, that's pretty much a given. I was just pointing out that empathy and all that stuff isn't coming from instincts. That's why you for example had to start with social animals, as only higher forms of life with a large brain can develop these kinds of behavior. Social animals (like humans), have to train their offspring in co-operative and altruistic behavior, or you get problems. Of course, with co-operation things are more muddled, as basically mindless animals like ants also are capable of large-scale cooperation. (Why that is I don't know, though.)

OK, so co-operation obviously can show up as instinctive behavior, so maybe I'm totally wrong. :v:
Altruism is instinctive in (fully developed) Humans, depending on your definition of instinctive, and any definition that excludes it will exclude pretty much everything beyond reflex action. We learn that eating cookies, a "selfish" act, makes us feel good by eating a cookie and our brains giving us positive feedback. We also learn that giving cookies to other people, an altruistic act, makes us feel good by giving cookies to someone else and our brains giving us positive feedback. The way we get that positive feedback is infinitely more complex, but it's just as dependent on our existing brain structure and with the right environment can be self-sustaining. The reason we need to train our offspring to be altruistic is that empathy etc. are very complex systems and our brains are very use-it-or-lose-it. There's a hell of a lot of points of failure and if we don't get bootstrapped into using and developing the parts of our brains we need for altruism then they never fully develop, and without reinforcement they start to atrophy.

You're right that a simple organism acting primarily on stimulus-response can never be altruistic as we would define it, but they can't be selfish as we would define it either. Co-operative simple organisms can and do occur though, because all genes care about is being the best at reproducing and co-operation among family groupings is a great way to get genes to survive.

Black Pants posted:

Random thought, any chance of the marketing guys or whatever making Utopia like a baseline include for Stellaris at some point? I can't imagine recommending any new players come into the game without having Utopia.
They already rolled the basic ascension perks into the core game. Turn off all your DLC/mods and try a basic run, you might be surprised by how much is there.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2018

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Arrrgh I just gave up a game I had a bunch of time sunk into because the goddamn robots decided they had a soul, which obviously means that they need to rebel and destroy my entire economy one building at a time. I’ll be very excited when we no longer have to deal with tiles - I can’t see myself going back to fix everything now that I’m super in the red.

Anyways! I want to dedicate my next game to defeating a fallen empire. Are there any good strategies or fleet compositions I should be looking at? I know that the name of the game is researching their rubble after fights, but that’s about as far as I’ve ever gotten.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

THE BAR posted:

Of course, with co-operation things are more muddled, as basically mindless animals like ants also are capable of large-scale cooperation. (Why that is I don't know, though.)

Evolution is designed to perpetuate genes, not lifeforms. That instinct humans have not to get themselves killed to help a stranger, that's their genes trying to survive. With ants only the queen has children, so only the queen really has an evolutionary motivated survival instinct. If her (sterile) kids are willing to die to let her have more kids, then the genes conti

That's how you get things like honeybees that die if they sting. If those honeybees all had their own kids then pretty soon you'd have a mutant honeybee go "gently caress that, let someone else do the stinging, I'm going to have kids" and shortly thereafter all honeybees would be that bee's descendants.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 2, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bremen posted:

honeybees that die if they sting.
Turns out this isn't a thing! It's mainly human skin that honeybees regularly get stuck in, and if you do get stung by a honeybee they will try to work their way free if you let them. If you start swatting at them though then they'll try to fly away and that's when they rip out their innards. Animals that can't swat them or have tougher skin can get stung absolutely fine.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

Turns out this isn't a thing! It's mainly human skin that honeybees regularly get stuck in, and if you do get stung by a honeybee they will try to work their way free if you let them. If you start swatting at them though then they'll try to fly away and that's when they rip out their innards. Animals that can't swat them or have tougher skin can get stung absolutely fine.

Is it true that bees ignore the laws of aviation as well?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TalonDemonKing posted:

That part is true. They don't even register their flights with the FAA.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I really want to play this game again... but I really really want to play the new patch.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TalonDemonKing posted:

To my knowledge, yes, bees do violate the laws of fixed-wing aviation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Splicer posted:

Well I sure the gently caress am not updating my immutable laws of nature and philosophy just because of some inconvenient trivia involving bugs. What are you going to say next, that studies of the cultural dynamics of zoo wolves aren't perfectly transferable to humans?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

So, wait, why aren't they called police then?

Well, "Police" at least implies a thin veneer of obligation to the public at large. An Egalitarian society would actually have that be true.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

wiegieman posted:

Well, "Police" at least implies a thin veneer of obligation to the public at large. An Egalitarian society would actually have that be true.
Meh, not really. The term traces back to the latin politia, civil administration, to greek polis, so their true obligation is to the city (state) itself. Etymologically speaking, anyway.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yes but police sounds boring while Enforcers sounds cool and this is a scifi game so

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love games where like half the poo poo in the game is a text field you can re-name and wish more things in stellaris were like this. Re-name your classes/jobs/faction anything you dang well want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would make playing as Alpha Complex even better if your dudes are literally high programmers/troubleshooters/infrareds/communists.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Would make playing as Alpha Complex even better if your dudes are literally high programmers/troubleshooters/infrareds/communists.

Ha, buddy of mine in a coop game is doing that right now and it took me too long to work out what was going on.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If we want to get etymological about things I would respond that "Police" carries with it the implied meanings inherent in the modern English usage of the French loan word, among them the Peelian principles, while "Enforcer" carries with it the the sneering swagger of a well dressed organized criminal.

But I live in America so I know I'd just be fooling myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're invoking that you could just go back to calling them peelers :v:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Bremen posted:

Evolution is designed to perpetuate genes, not lifeforms. That instinct humans have not to get themselves killed to help a stranger, that's their genes trying to survive. With ants only the queen has children, so only the queen really has an evolutionary motivated survival instinct. If her (sterile) kids are willing to die to let her have more kids, then the genes conti

Actually the queen is a tool the workers use to perpetuate their own genes because ~evobio~.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

If you're invoking that you could just go back to calling them peelers :v:

We still call them that in Norn Iron :eng101:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love games where like half the poo poo in the game is a text field you can re-name and wish more things in stellaris were like this. Re-name your classes/jobs/faction anything you dang well want.

Wiz make this a thing so I can make the slave jobs sound overly cheerful

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TalonDemonKing posted:

Wiz make this a thing so I can make the slave jobs sound overly cheerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
"POPs with newfound direction in life."