Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like this victory will reinforce all of Weissman’s worst tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

A hell of a lot better than the Titans series at least.

The bar to clear so low that you can just walk over it.

business hammocks posted:

I feel like this victory will reinforce all of Weissman’s worst tendencies.

Oh for sure. Dude wouldn't reveal future plans about the show years after cancellation (down to not revealing who the JL transporter code numbers stood for, of all the pedantic things). Now that he's got a fanbase dedicated enough to bring his show back from the dead, surely they must want to see his 7 season masterplan unfold :rolleyes:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 1, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
maybe greg isn't such a wise man after all

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This really didn't need another timeskip.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

This really didn't need another timeskip.

Young Justice season 4 opens on Dick Grayson as a really old Batman. The season finale features a 90-something Lex Luthor fist pumping from his hospital bed about how The Light's plan is almost complete. Season 5 is just Batman Beyond with Luthor's head in a jar as the primary antagonist.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 1, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Season 7 is the light conspiring to kill Baby Booster Gold, thus undoing all the good that happened in the show somehow.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Season 9 is just the Legion of Super Heroes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Season 11 is Imperiex chilling in a destroyed universe or whatever the hell Imperiex win goal is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Old Justice

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I never saw the LoSH show, but the Imperiex event comic was so bizarre, because during or right after it 9/11 happened and the total destruction of Smallville by an elder god was trumped in effect on the DC univese by a plane hitting a building.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mimir posted:

I never saw the LoSH show, but the Imperiex event comic was so bizarre, because during or right after it 9/11 happened and the total destruction of Smallville by an elder god was trumped in effect on the DC univese by a plane hitting a building.

It wasn't Smallville that got destroyed, it was Topeka

Also the cartoon version of Imperiex had almost nothing in common with his comics version besides name and some design similarities

Also in regards to Young Justice, honestly I think it would have been a better show if they had left Superboy and Kid Flash out, both characters were handled pretty badly, especially in terms of their powers, as Superboy was just loving boring, and Kid Flash was barely even a speedster

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Superboy was flawed Superman, and considering every drat criticism of Supes is "too many powers too easy everything" it was a good tack to take with a teenage version. In addition to not living up to his Superdad, it also had the added bonus of making Kal a reluctant dad.

Flash was adequately reduced so he wouldn't be the quickfix to everything, and his caloric intake thing was kind of linked to that.

For all the criticism that the show gets, trying to make the characters less absurdly OP is a unique one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Young Justice. Found it a good show and I am glad it's getting revived.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Superboy was flawed Superman, and considering every drat criticism of Supes is "too many powers too easy everything" it was a good tack to take with a teenage version. In addition to not living up to his Superdad, it also had the added bonus of making Kal a reluctant dad.

Flash was adequately reduced so he wouldn't be the quickfix to everything, and his caloric intake thing was kind of linked to that.

For all the criticism that the show gets, trying to make the characters less absurdly OP is a unique one.

See that's kind of the problem I have with the timeskips (and to an extent all the new characters). When the show was new you could explore aspects like Superman as a bad dad but after jumping years, there's nothing to explore. At this point, either Superman would have (or should have) reached out to Superboy, but since the show doesn't seem to think it's important to explore, that whole subplot just kind of dies on the vine. Superman's kind of a poo poo, end of story.

It makes me think about the DCAU and how JLU had so many other characters, yet it all worked, and I think it's because the show had already established a lot of characters over seasons (for Batman and Superman, whole other shows), so there was time to focus on side characters. In Young Justice you've got the original Team* but then just when you're getting used to them and their team dynamic BOOM time skip, now Wally and Artemis have quit superheroics and we never really get an explanation besides college I guess (hey remember when the team went to high school for like one episode? I guess Greg didn't care either) and Superboy's apparently ageless I guess but no time to dwell on that because we've got Beetles to deal with and a bunch of other marketable super-kids.

Ultimately it reminds me of how DC shat the bed with Justice League (the live-action one) because they tried to emulate Avengers, only instead of a team of folks who all had entire introductory movies, they just said "Oh hey here's Aquaman let's go to the next scene now". Rather than exploring its characters too much, Weisman keeps timeskipping and bringing in a new batch of kids. And sure, nobody totally gets written off the show, but it could be so much better than what it is.

*I hate that "Team" name sooooo much. Just call it Young Justice or the Teen Titans or something else Weisman you are killing me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FilthyImp posted:

The problem is again it made both of them boring, they could have at least given Superboy his Tactile Telekinesis from the comics so there would be more to him than "incredibly ineffective brick"*, and they made Kid Flash too slow, he was rarely ever useful either

*with the personality of one too

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, once Superman comes around and lets Conner into his life, that's really the end of that story. The story isn't about Superman being a father, it's about Clark getting past seeing Conner as the end result of a very personal violation and seeing him as a person. That happened in "Auld Acquaintance". That plot line was done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought Superboy had some fun things going on, being a weird mix of both cynical and naive (with his pre-programmed information and all, I like that he can perfectly answer a question in history class but has no understanding of the context and why people made the decisions they did) and dealing with his nature as an artificial being, but they never really went anywhere with it, especially as a supposed ambassador for the products of the Cadmus project. Though maybe I just like the grumpy, poorly-adjusted well-meaning teenager with a dubious parental situation a bit much.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The only weird thing about Wally's arc was that it started with him not being to keep up with his fellow speedsters, and then ended with him sucking so much he died and then got replaced by a canonically better speedster. Subvert expectations all you want but "Character thinks he sucks and is right" doesn't really feel like a satisfying conclusion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I mean he's totally gonna reemerge from the Speed Force somehow.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh yeah naturally, but it was such a weird, unimpressive note he went out on. I mean he explicitly died because he sucked so much, and he didn't even know he was doing it. Now Bart gets to do Wally's character-defining arc of trying to fill the shoes of a dead Flash, except they already went out of their way to tell us that he's already better than Wally (At half his age) and nobody doubts him as new Kid Flash.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wally's character arc started with him wanting to prove himself apart from his mentor, not coming up short to Barry in the speed department, and then it shifted on to focus on his dynamic with Artemis and also being the one who needs to Take poo poo Seriously, and evolved into him just wanting to live a normal life with her in season 2. I can't recall when Speedster Envy was a thing for him outside of Bart's introduction, and that struck me more as a case of "he hasn't done this in a while and is a bit out of shape and he dislikes how Bart being around has pointed this out".

Like, Wally's big focus episodes in season 1 aren't about his speed at all. The first one is his science vs. magic stuff, and then his next one is about him coming to terms with his own disappointment over a day that was important to him being overshadowed by work and his mission to save a little girl.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 3, 2018

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It doesn't really come up until Impulse shows up, but in that same episode it's at least implied that Wally was used to being slower than Flash even before his retirement and Impulse showing up just exacerbated it. I seem to remember one scene where Bart just straight up says that Wally was slower cause he wasn't an Allen, and Wally couldn't even keep up with how fast the Allens were talking.

And yeah none of this gets brought up in season 1, but to be fair season 2 introduced a lot of new character traits out of nowhere. Miss Martian was flying around mind-flaying people by episode 2.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Greg has talked about how Wally doesn't have the speed force (it doesn't exist in the YJ continuity) and that his experiment to replicate the Flash's powers with a highschool chemistry set naturally resulted in him having a less powerful version of his abilities.

But that being background information and that one bit from Bart's episode doesn't make it a character definining thing. Wally has a ceiling on what he's capable of, that's all. Furthermore, his death in "Endgame" doesn't even have him participating in Barry and Bart's part of the mission first. He joins in because he knows they're not generating enough kinetic energy between them, and doesn't give Artemis a kiss goodbye or anything. Combined with that, from the nonchalant way he talks in his final moments he had a good idea something like that was going to happen because he wasn't as fast.

I'm not saying Wally doesn't have insecurity, but that isn't what defines his character. It's not about him "sucking" and "he died because he sucked even when he tried his hardest", he died because he was needed and because he accepted the responsibility necessary to save everyone he loved despite some limitations on his powers.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 3, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, Greg has talked about how Wally doesn't have the speed force (it doesn't exist in the YJ continuity)
Well that makes the S2 ending really loving suck then. Ouch.

quote:

he died because he was needed and because he accepted the responsibility necessary to save everyone he loved despite some limitations on his powers.
Plus, narratively, it puts the burden on Artemis who, despite trying to do the Good Thing by helping her friends, went behind Wally's back and he paid the price for it. Right?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, Greg has talked about how Wally doesn't have the speed force (it doesn't exist in the YJ continuity) and that his experiment to replicate the Flash's powers with a highschool chemistry set naturally resulted in him having a less powerful version of his abilities.

But that being background information and that one bit from Bart's episode doesn't make it a character definining thing. Wally has a ceiling on what he's capable of, that's all. Furthermore, his death in "Endgame" doesn't even have him participating in Barry and Bart's part of the mission first. He joins in because he knows they're not generating enough kinetic energy between them, and doesn't give Artemis a kiss goodbye or anything. Combined with that, from the nonchalant way he talks in his final moments he had a good idea something like that was going to happen because he wasn't as fast.

I'm not saying Wally doesn't have insecurity, but that isn't what defines his character. It's not about him "sucking" and "he died because he sucked even when he tried his hardest", he died because he was needed and because he accepted the responsibility necessary to save everyone he loved despite some limitations on his powers.

Oh I'm not saying it defines him either, but it felt like a lot of setup for a triumphant moment where Wally proves himself. I just don't get why the moment they gave him seemed so...incidental? At the time it really came across that he didn't know he was dying until it was too late, and I really wish they either had him finally surpass his mentor and prove himself, or fully lean into a heroic moment where he gets to shine with what he's got.

Though going by what Weisman has said I can see why they wouldn't want to give Wally a definitive end when there's a whole 7 season plan to explore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Well Speed Force or no, I still just can't buy Wally being dead for real. Everything about his death reeked of "I'll be back from the future/alternate reality/etc soon!"

Plus, you know, no body no death.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheHan posted:

Oh I'm not saying it defines him either, but it felt like a lot of setup for a triumphant moment where Wally proves himself. I just don't get why the moment they gave him seemed so...incidental? At the time it really came across that he didn't know he was dying until it was too late, and I really wish they either had him finally surpass his mentor and prove himself, or fully lean into a heroic moment where he gets to shine with what he's got.

Though going by what Weisman has said I can see why they wouldn't want to give Wally a definitive end when there's a whole 7 season plan to explore.

Watch the final episode again. Wally zeta beams down to join Bart and Barry without altering everyone. If he would have had any assumption he was coming back, he would have said what he was doing, given Artemis a big old kiss, and run off with a glib remark. But he specifically avoids that, just like every other time the character has had to face a difficult truth or responsibility.

FilthyImp posted:

Well that makes the S2 ending really loving suck then. Ouch.

Plus, narratively, it puts the burden on Artemis who, despite trying to do the Good Thing by helping her friends, went behind Wally's back and he paid the price for it. Right?

What are you talking about? Artemis never went behind his back. He was in on the initial scheme to “kill” Artemis and have her and Kaldur infiltrate Black Manta. He got pissed LATER at DICK because his trust in Kaldur was whaning and he didn’t think Dick could see the potential he was manipulating them and Artemis was in danger.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember being interested enough in Young Justice to keep following it through the first season, but the reveals at the end were real underwhelming. The Light are...the same old cadre of supervillains that get wheeled out for every team-up against DC all-stars, but with a weird name. Artemis's great secret is...her father's some D-tier goober with hockey sticks who never showed up before. Megan's actually a white martian, which only really has implications if you're knowledgable about the DC universe lore, otherwise, it means instead of being an alien, she's an alien.

And then the timeskip happened, and basically all the old relationships and dynamics have been flushed away and replaced with new dynamics that didn't have enough time to really develop, along with double the amount of characters, and something like 5 separate grand narratives with faked deaths and false flags and grand conspiracies with mind control chemicals being mass distributed.

Maybe I'm also a little uncomfortable these days with plots that read like a paranoid schizophrenic's delusions.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah if Wally is actually dead that’s bullshit and kind of sours the whole third season for me. Then again so does another time skip; I was hoping to see a full-on Darkseid invasion starting soon after the last episode.

Also how will they have season 3 when Tim Curry can’t voice Glorious Godfrey anymore? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda had no idea what was going on in what of the Adventure Time finale I managed to catch, but this montage is giving me emotions.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Labes for days posted:

Yeah if Wally is actually dead that’s bullshit and kind of sours the whole third season for me. Then again so does another time skip; I was hoping to see a full-on Darkseid invasion starting soon after the last episode.

Also how will they have season 3 when Tim Curry can’t voice Glorious Godfrey anymore? :(

Can't he still talk but is just in a wheelchair? :(

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Can't he still talk but is just in a wheelchair? :(

I thought he wasn’t working anymore but apparently he’s been in a few things since 2012. I heard the stroke really affected his ability to speak, though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've been watching Hey Arnold lately and it holds up pretty good. I like the old episodes best. Watching the jungle movie right now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tim Curry did Auntie Whispers in Over the Garden Wall, and he was fine there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda had no idea what was going on in what of the Adventure Time finale I managed to catch, but this montage is giving me emotions.
SAME.
There's some stuff I kind of remember (Susan Strong's tribe or whatever), and stuff I totally missed out on (Finn's family stuff, Fern). But it was nicely done and kind of reminded me of those SNES era end of an RPG montages.

I really like how they peppered music in. I've blamed AT for starting that whole trend of animated shows needing some hipster ukelele music with bad singing, but they put it to good use here.

I also like how they showed a kind of cyclical nature to Ooo (and, well, childhood adventures). Overall it was a strong end.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tim Curry had a stroke? Is he okay? :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Another one?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr Interweb posted:

Back in 2013. He’s still in a wheelchair from it, and his voice still isn’t 100% :smith:

This is from 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RWKbTEsVhg

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Back in 2013. He’s still in a wheelchair from it, and his voice still isn’t 100% :smith:

This is from 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RWKbTEsVhg

Ah, gently caress. Not what I wanted to hear. :(

I hadn't seen him do a lot of work in recent years, but I figured he either retired or was only doing select gigs if the price was right. This unfortunately makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The teaser for the new She-Ra series has been dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPRpfwcIEc

I like that part of her transformation involves slamming a fist to the palm of her hand. She-ra's ready to throw down. :black101: