Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I thought it was expensive at first, but no I really liked it. Not floating in clouds or anything but it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
neat

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Totally worth it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Fentry posted:

Lol at the instant hard out, I hope they learn to manage their time better in the future
They're not going to book Nick Aldis again.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

For as much passive aggressive poo poo as Cody gives Triple H, this was basically HHH in a nutshell in that Cody did everything great except the thing involving him, which was basically a super stretched out vanity affair.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

gently caress for the 3x speed match that was a lot of fun and Rey is timeless

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

cams posted:

SEE YOU NEXT TIME ON TH

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I hope the Bucks didn't have a promo loaded up for the ending. Yikes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

For as much passive aggressive poo poo as Cody gives Triple H, this was basically HHH in a nutshell in that Cody did everything great except the thing involving him, which was basically a super stretched out vanity affair.

Buried in the midcard

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahaha, it's funny because it's true.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

VJeff posted:

Maybe it gets recorded and uploaded?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That was awkward at times but ultimately a cool-rear end thing and I hope they do more.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

CarlCX posted:

That was awkward at times but ultimately a cool-rear end thing and I hope they do more.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

VJeff posted:

SEEYOUONYOUTUBE.COM/BEINGTHEELITE

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
cody for booker of the year imo gently caress the joey janela

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Really enjoyed the show but once I heard all of the "we have to go home right away" stuff I was watching the clock more than paying attention to the match. Wish the online feeds at least could have continued past 10pm

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm kinda glad that match didn't get enough time because it's been a while since I've seen a full-tilt spotfest involving the Bucks and it was refreshing to see.

The only real shame is that we didn't get a big go-home promo after.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Show was fun, don't regret dropping 40 smackers on it

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
that show was loving unbelievably good.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Fun match to finish the show
All in all, good show. Not great but good, solid. Thumbs up

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Andy Dufresne posted:

Really enjoyed the show but once I heard all of the "we have to go home right away" stuff I was watching the clock more than paying attention to the match. Wish the online feeds at least could have continued past 10pm
I liked having one eye on the clock because after :55 it meant you could buy any big move as the finish.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i'd expect a special BTE extra time episode where the air the in ring thanks and possibly the firing squad beat down

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

sportsgenius86 posted:

HHH is the epitome of "only as good as his opponent" so yeah

Show was very enjoyable and the main was super fun, but nothing really blew me away match wise

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
It's a miracle they got it all in under the hour mark.

Look forward to hearing from the crowd reports afterwards if any more stuff happened or did everyone just fall down wheezing for air.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

remusclaw posted:

Buried in the midcard

thats the whole difference between him and triple h though. dude i thought cody would loving main event this show. i thought he would co-main and go on after okada and before kenny. but instead the matches were in the exact correct and perfect order

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I hate that they had to rush the finish for stuff like that cody/aldis match

Takuan
May 6, 2007

That was a fun show for a one-off show with no individual build or heat or consequences for most of the matches.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fauxhawk Express posted:

HHH is the epitome of "only as good as his opponent" so yeah

Show was very enjoyable and the main was super fun, but nothing really blew me away match wise

I honestly wouldn't even give HHH that, unlike Sting or Booker T, HHH has too much ego to let his opponent carry a match and has to push his epic storytelling into unexpected mediocrity, see for instance HHH/Taker 3 and HHH/Shawn Michaels HIAC.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the tag match was better because everyone was going ten thousand miles an hour and if you were watching the clock instead of the match youre a fuckin dope

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
My final show ratings (not having seen the first preshow match):

- Over Budget Battle Royale - 3.5 stars, it was entertaining and an above-average battle royale
- Matt Cross/MJF - 0 stars, this was an embarrassment, I couldn't even remember their names or who won without checking Wikipedia
- Christopher Daniels/Stephen Amell - 2 stars, there were a couple of cool spots but it was pretty forgettable
- Tessa Blanchard/Chelsea Green/Madison Rayne/Britt Baker - 3 stars, this lost a half-star with the super-clunky finish, but it was fun and a good showcase for Blanchard and Green
- Cody Rhodes/Nick Aldis - 2 stars, the atmosphere was good, Cody played it well, and the DDP appearance was hype, but this was super underwhelming
- Joey Janela/Hangman Page - 2.5 stars, they get points for killing each other with gross spots but this match was too schizophrenic and tonally inconsistent for me
- Jay Lethal/Flip Gordon - 2.5 stars, I really liked Jay Lethal and really hated Flip Gordon and so that kinda averaged out
- Kenny Omega/Pentagón Jr. - 4.5 stars, there were a couple of little things that didn't really seem to be right (people here mentioned a botch or two) and I don't know what the story was here, but it was a Very Exciting Wrestling Match with some ludicrous spots
- Kazuchika Okada/Marty Scurll - 4 stars, this was good but sort of seemed like a worse version of the match before it
- Six-man tag match - 2.5 stars, this was just a crazy spotfest and impressive in that respect, but didn't really feel right as an end to the show. Like others have said, ending with Omega/Pentagon would've made more sense to me, especially since you had Chris Jericho there for it.

Overall show rating - 3 stars. Caveat here that I'm sure people who watch the Young Bucks YouTube show and knows all of the New Japan and ROH storylines would have really loved it; I don't think that this show was geared toward people like me, wrestling fans who only have surface-level familiarity with the indie scene, which is alright.

I think it was just alright for the most part but really benefited from the Pentagon/Omega match. I don't regret buying it, but I wouldn't pay for another of these. From what I've heard about the big NJPW shows, they're as good as this was or better. There were some pretty significant production issues between the audio early on and the timesheet gently caress-ups, not to mention it being a five-hour show (if I'm going to criticize WWE for it, I'm going to criticize these guys for it, too), but I'm glad that it seems like it was pretty successful overall. I'm sure it's good for the industry and for the folks who worked it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the reason cody went on early was to make sure he could spend as much time as he wanted as the important boy and not be told to wrap it up since they wouldn't know they were running behind at that point

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Your Parents posted:

cody for booker of the year imo gently caress the joey janela

Joey gave you PCO my good binch

Give me a Joey show with Cody producing and you got a stew going.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Cody/Aldis sucked, but Matt Cross/MJF was a complete waste of time that could’ve gone to the main.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

remusclaw posted:

I honestly wouldn't even give HHH that, unlike Sting or Booker T, HHH has too much ego to let his opponent carry a match and has to push his epic storytelling into unexpected mediocrity, see for instance HHH/Taker 3 and HHH/Shawn Michaels HIAC.

That HHH/HBK cell match is the worst loving match I've ever seen. No exaggeration whatsoever.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

surf rock posted:

- Kenny Omega/Pentagón Jr. - 4.5 stars, there were a couple of little things that didn't really seem to be right (people here mentioned a botch or two) and I don't know what the story was here, but it was a Very Exciting Wrestling Match with some ludicrous spots
There wasn't really a story beyond "these two guys are really good and you're probably not getting this match anywhere else".

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I wonder if in advance they thought of possibly being in a time crunch at the end so they figured, "well, if anyone can rush a match it's those guys. Ya'll good with that?" The crazy 6 then all looked at each other and collectively shrugged their shoulders.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Also it sounds like my stream crapping out saved me from a dismal opener, so thanks for that in retrospect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

the reason cody went on early was to make sure he could spend as much time as he wanted as the important boy and not be told to wrap it up since they wouldn't know they were running behind at that point

This is also why Hunter used to not be in the main at WM as well.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Demtor posted:

I wonder if in advance they thought of possibly being in a time crunch at the end so they figured, "well, if anyone can rush a match it's those guys. Ya'll good with that?" The crazy 6 then all looked at each other and collectively shrugged their shoulders.
It certainly makes sense in a way with not a second of overrun available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’m still at the arena... anybody that loved this but complains about 4 hour WWE PPVs, I don’t know. I’m burned out after 5 hours. They could have cut out 2 hours and just had a really solid show. I could tell people around me were just getting burned out near the end.

• Locked thread