Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Eat the Yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ohhhh... I get it now. He has corporate box seats he got from closing a big deal.

Yeah, ok, I follow now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Suits are a tool of the bourgeoisie Yankees to keep the proletariat A’s down.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Is it cool and fun to pay attention to the Astros again?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

James looks cool and good but despite the 5 run outburst in the 8th it was still a drat slog

Tyler White is coming closer and closer to convincing me he's for real and as soon as I start to believe he'll probably turn to poo poo again

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

James looks cool and good but despite the 5 run outburst in the 8th it was still a drat slog

Tyler White is coming closer and closer to convincing me he's for real and as soon as I start to believe he'll probably turn to poo poo again

Years go by, seasons change, the Astros win the world series, and yet Intruder remains as fatalistic as ever.

McCann being back will be good for the pitching staff even though he is a bit of a liability with the bat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Winning a World Series only makes you aware of how difficult it really is and that your team will never do it again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I’d settle for a wild card game.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sab0921 posted:

Charlie Morton is on the DL, so no

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Christian Walker, with 77 PA in his career, is now two for two with two dongs against Clayton Kershaw.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1036079440147562497

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

what on earth

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress are grain beetles?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Although a bunch of the yankees deportment policies seem really dumb and old to me, a guy that is allowed a beard at work, it doesn't seem the actual players are offended by it.

Cutch was almost excited about following the rule, texting teammates and joining in ahead of the curve. Maybe most of the players actually feel closer together following these rules as a team? I dunno.

Maybe the whole "all the players united against the management, in the trenches together" actually makes them play harder for each other. Has there been any player on record that refused to play for the Yanks or publicly complained about the facial hair policy in a non-joking matter?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What the gently caress are grain beetles?

Weevil's and stuff I think, the type of tiny bug that can get into improperly stored flour or something and ruin it.

So the hats were infested with tiny bugs that you might not notice before putting it on your head, which....uh....would suck.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zapplez posted:

Maybe the whole "all the players united against the management, in the trenches together" actually makes them play harder for each other.

Enforced grooming standards are the new Moneyball.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

Enforced grooming standards are the new Moneyball.

"Yankees are actually promoting class consciousness" is definitely a hot take.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

zapplez posted:

Has there been any player on record that refused to play for the Yanks or publicly complained about the facial hair policy in a non-joking matter?

David Price and Tim Lincecum

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Good grooming is a 25 man roster's most important asset.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Yes! I found the best take on the supremely stupid and extremely Joe West Phillies "cheat-sheet" incident from last night. https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1036209995635978242?s=19

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’m glad my stupid plague Met drawing is still showing up in the N/V thread.

There’s also the baseball best friends & uplifting stories thread if you’re feeling down and out

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ihatepants posted:

David Price and Tim Lincecum

So the Yankees have some kind of system to predict what elite pitchers will end up being garbage?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

the popes toes posted:

Good grooming is a 25 man roster's most important asset.

If Cutch's beard wasn't good grooming, there is no such thing as a well groomed beard.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zapplez posted:

Has there been any player on record that refused to play for the Yanks or publicly complained about the facial hair policy in a non-joking matter?

Don Mattingly?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

Don Mattingly?

I actually have his baseball card, go figure. Didn't take a picture of it though and I'm too lazy to dig it out right now. Will provide tomorrow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Don Mattingly?

He definitely complained about the Marlins one, although he still ended up shaving.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Mattingly feuded with Steinbrennar for years over the policy and was convinced that Steinbrennar was planting stories against him and trying to force him to retire. Simpsons parodied it and everything.

It wasn't really Donnie complaining from what I remember, though. More him pushing the boundaries of the rule and not shaving/getting a haircut until he was forced to and then Steinbrennar trashing him.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 2, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Only for him to go on and coach for the Marlins, who promptly also implemented a facial hair policy and forced him to shave anyway. The world can be cruel.

OTOH Mattingly is a piece of poo poo hit man as a manager who constantly orders guys plunked for the dumbest reasons possible, so gently caress him.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

YeahTubaMike posted:

Charlie Morton is on the DL, so no

Yeah, but it's just a precautionary rest type of DL stint, not a serious issue. And his starts are going a to a rookie who can hit 101 on the gun.

The biggest concern is Carlos Correa who apparently built up a lot of rust in his 6 weeks off. Hopefully he can get right in the next month.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1036328001166864385

If it's Merryweather, then good god, I would have rather received a literal bag of potatoes. A 27 year old prospect who just had TJS and has like a 7 ERA in triple A is not exactly what I would call good anything. I mean, anything is better than JD walking for nothing but they couldn't get better than this?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If you read all the stories about the Jays and Donaldson it seems pretty clear that they decided last year they weren't going to extend him even though he wanted to stay, even up until Friday. So they essentially kept him to bullshit fans into thinking they were competing, while signing and trading for a bunch of high floor low ceiling garbage piles that they could dump after this season. This in between poo poo from the last few years is so awful and stupid.

I'm not even convinced they've drafted well since basically everything since the 2016 draft has been pretty meh, and that one was mostly setup by the previous regime.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/1036334924062773249?s=21

Javy owns, ya’ll

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If you read all the stories about the Jays and Donaldson it seems pretty clear that they decided last year they weren't going to extend him even though he wanted to stay, even up until Friday. So they essentially kept him to bullshit fans into thinking they were competing, while signing and trading for a bunch of high floor low ceiling garbage piles that they could dump after this season. This in between poo poo from the last few years is so awful and stupid.

I'm not even convinced they've drafted well since basically everything since the 2016 draft has been pretty meh, and that one was mostly setup by the previous regime.

Yeah I would agree with this, they're also coming out with the stories now about how he wasn't seeming engaged with the team, didn't use their workout facilities in Florida, and so on. All the things you say to try and soften the blow to a fanbase (that is split 50/50 between "he's been hurt so gently caress him anyway" and "he's the MVP of our hearts forever")

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Remember all the stories about how this front office was going to be about the team and the players on a human level and they've been making GBS threads all over Gibbons and Donaldson and Tulowitzki and Pompey...

We're about the players! (leaks all kinds of bullshit constantly to the press)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not sure how i'd find this out, but in mlb history, has a runner on second not scored on a double?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Abel Wingnut posted:

not sure how i'd find this out, but in mlb history, has a runner on second not scored on a double?

I feel like I've seen this a few of times, with a deep fly ball where the runner on second stays back to tag or otherwise fucks up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I feel like I remember this happening this year with the jays, when a player tagged up or something and only got to third base.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dear god :stare:

https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/1036364711896465408

had no idea the pirates' offense was that awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Barves get Preston Tucker back from Reds for a player with a funny name, Cash Considerations, must be like an old school puritan name like Telling Goodfellow or something

Abel Wingnut posted:

dear god :stare:

https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/1036364711896465408

had no idea the pirates' offense was that awful

Acuna is also molten loving hot right now and has the sort of insane effortless power that means that "really hot" = "lots of dingers"

• Locked thread