Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Is there any reason why they call the NWA title the "Worlds Heavyweight Championship"?

Just curious... the extra S seems like a typo

Well you see it was initially won in a tournament on Mars...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
It was a fairly OK show all round except for the utterly pointless opening match.

Some stuff went way too long and Pentagon really didn't need to mug to the crowd after every single move.

a bitchin jetski fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 2, 2018

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

a bitchin jetski posted:

It was a fairly OK show all round except for the utterly pointless opening match.

Some stuff went way too long and Pentagon really didn't need to mug to the crowd after every single single move.

I like the idea that the opening match was basically a throwaway in case there were problems with the stream/production.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought the national anthem was the throwaway stream tester

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Well you see it was initially won in a tournament on Mars...

More seriously, it's "World's Heavyweight Championship", just like Suzuki is the British Heavyweight Champion and not the Britain Heavyweight Champion, or how WWE had a European title not a Europe one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People who bought tickets to The Cody and Friends Show popping for Cody isn't exactly the biggest endorsement in the world.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

History Comes Inside! posted:

I thought the national anthem was the throwaway stream tester

who did they get to sing the anthem anyway?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

People who bought tickets to The Cody and Friends Show popping for Cody isn't exactly the biggest endorsement in the world.

people who buy tickets to wrestling shows popping for wrest ling . what marks. rofl. imagine liking wrestlers and buying tickets to see them

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
i watched a fite.tv stream with my friends and did not personally spend any money or have any investment in most of the people involved (i dont watch BTE for example) and it was a loving great show that made everything Ring of Honor's done for years look like a joke in terms of booking and crowd response.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's illegal. Ban this filth.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Re: the crowd. I am astounded by how good they were - hype and loud, but not annoying. Not a single dumbfuck anti-WWE chant or anything.
Credit for this goes to how the show was booked, because they thankfully eschewed any of that stupid poo poo TNA used to do where they'd try and pander to anti-WWE sentiment. The dudes just produced their vision for a pro graps show and let it breathe as its own thing and it felt refreshing as hell.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I paid 150 dollars and it was all right but not worth it. was expecting to hear my dream chant of all-in woop woop for at least 15 minutes straight with nothing happening but it didnt even come close to occurring.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The show was okay, which is way above average for faction led PPV's so good on the Bullet Club imo. I hope it's a trend that continues because I want indies to keep doing better and upset the status quo.

Plus the anti-bullet club guys have done the impossible and become more obnoxious and over saturated than the Bullet Club.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I really hope Delirious stays away from the MSG booking. Last night suggests that show could be really, really good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Give the Bucks the book? I mean, it worked when NJPW gave it to Gedo and Jado?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I have a feeling Cody also could be a real good booker as well

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have a feeling Cody also could be a real good booker as well

Going off that NWA title match, he'd be about as good as his dad was.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Pardon me if it's been asked already, but is there any news as to when the show will be up on NJPW World?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Going off that NWA title match, he'd be about as good as his dad was.

Absolutely great for a few years?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
imo this isn't even a question, the Bucks are already way better at putting together a compelling wrestling show than whatever shmuck is running RoH right now, give 'em the book.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I mean there’s other problems even if you gave em the book, namely, half of the roster only fit into a such a good show because they were in a battle royale that masked their blandness, but it’s a great start.

Idk, maybe I would like Punishment Martinez with better booking, but it’s very hard to imagine.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I haven't really seen much of Pentagon outside of LU, is his finisher not too protected? Loved their match but thought it was a little excessive that Kenny kicked out out of the second after the first on the apron.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think his finish is the pumphandle driver (YOSHI-HASHI's Karma) not the package piledriver.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i was amazed he kicked out after penta broke his arm

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i cant believe the v trigger looking nasty is kayfabed by njpw

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I don't really watch ROH but I love their really fat ref.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Christopher Daniels(who also books ROH as part of the committee) booked this show with input from the wrestlers. MJF didn't get to talk because he wasn't asked if that was a thing he could do. Crazily enough, MJF is very respectful to vets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

You know the famous spot where Charles Robinson ran down the ramp to make a 3 count at WM or whatever? Todd Sinclair did that too. It was a much shorter ramp but he's not very athletic so it was equally impressive.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we friended each other on xbox live and he kicked my rear end in halo 3 a lot

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
NJPW World doesn't have their version up yet, where else can I find a replay of the PPV?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astro7x posted:

I just hope that they are able to look at things objectively in the end. I am really curious what people like Dave and Bryan say about the show when they break down every single match. Having actually made money off the weekend with his Starrcast stuff, are we going to get a glowing review of the entire show? Bryan already said that it was the most memorable show he has ever been to, whatever that means. Like, I can't imagine Dave and Bryan breaking the show down match by match and being as picky as they do for WWE matches. Like, will it even come up that Cody was laying outside the ring for a whole 5 minutes while Aldis just stood there?

They recapped the show last night and went through each of the matches, and specifically brought up that whole bit with Cody lying outside the mat. They kept referencing how a lot of stuff that wouldn't normally work absolutely did because of the context in which it took place, and Bryan basically summed it up as,"You can get anything/anybody over if you just do it simply and give people what they actually want to see."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is a risk, however, that if you rely on that goodwill to get you over more than actually delivering an entertaining match, eventually this audience is going to turn on you. Basically, Cody can pull that card once in a while to get some juice out of a nothing match, but he can't do it all the time.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Incessant Excess posted:

That would be Bobby Hill.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Envisioned posted:

I haven't really seen much of Pentagon outside of LU, is his finisher not too protected? Loved their match but thought it was a little excessive that Kenny kicked out out of the second after the first on the apron.

Pentagon is basically the indiest guy there is (without it being annoying) so nothing is safe. I've seen him use a top rope destroyer for a near fall.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Pentagon is basically the indiest guy there is (without it being annoying) so nothing is safe

also no one

https://twitter.com/tapemachines/status/1036194376559616001/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Pentagon is basically the indiest guy there is (without it being annoying) so nothing is safe. I've seen him use a top rope destroyer for a near fall.

Need to see him wrestle Kota NOW :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

There is a risk, however, that if you rely on that goodwill to get you over more than actually delivering an entertaining match, eventually this audience is going to turn on you. Basically, Cody can pull that card once in a while to get some juice out of a nothing match, but he can't do it all the time.

That's true, but he gave the crowd exactly what they wanted to see last night, and I don't think that's a bad thing. That was the most important and valuable the NWA title has looked in years and having Cody repping it around the world/in New Japan/on Being the Elite is at least a sign that there might be some legs to the whole shambolic operation after all.

How the rest of his reign goes remains to be seen, and whether he can sustain interest in it, but I don't think I can really criticize him for reading the crowd right and giving them a match where obstacles kept appearing in the way of his destiny and the crowd willed his entourage along to give every bit of help they could to help him achieve his dream.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The crowd was very happy with and entertained by the match.

Or is the crowd not important because they don't like what you like?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Penta cussing people out in either English or Spanish is one of my favorite things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The crowd was very happy with and entertained by the match.

Or is the crowd not important because they don't like what you like?

Not at all. Like I said, it worked last night and in terms of Cody and the show as a business endeavour, that's a success. (It also doesn't mean the match was good. Plenty of people go to see Michael Bay Transformers movies and Pirates of the Carribean sequels too) But it's also a risky thing to count on audience goodwill towards you to cover for a lackluster product on any kind of regular basis. And I will stress, I'm talking about the Cody match itself, NOT the PPV as a whole.

EDIT: I will clarify, "Not at all" means that I'm NOT saying the crowd response wasn't relevant. It absolutely worked for the crowd last night, broadly speak, but there was also a decent amount of dead spots in the match too, which didn't happen nearly as much in the other matches

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 3, 2018

• Locked thread