Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've been out of the loop for a while; just ticking along on my Sandy Bridge Hack running System 10.11 El Capitan.

Has anyone seen a good build for a modern system with PCIe storage?
Do you need to buy into a server socket to get enough PCIe lanes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For some reason my Hackintosh is running quite sluggishly relative to my Mid-2015 MBP. This shouldn't happen as I'm working with an i7-7770k and a 1080ti. Is there some boot option I ought to have ticked or unticked that could be causing this?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

For some reason my Hackintosh is running quite sluggishly relative to my Mid-2015 MBP. This shouldn't happen as I'm working with an i7-7770k and a 1080ti. Is there some boot option I ought to have ticked or unticked that could be causing this?

Hey is it in that cheese grater Mac case? If so I want to see some pics and words about the building process

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hard drive maybe?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Hey is it in that cheese grater Mac case? If so I want to see some pics and words about the building process
No its still sitting in my closet at home with the kit and the dremel i bought for it bc im a lazy rear end in a top hat

redeyes posted:

hard drive maybe?
Don't think so, running Windows off the same SSD and it works fine. Could have something to do with using 2 monitors maybe?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A 1080ti shouldn't have problems with 2 monitors (that I know of). The MBP probably has a faster SSD than your hackintosh.. but that shouldn't be that noticable. Sometimes SSDs have problems though, one area of the thing can work at full speed and others not so much, but of course this would be a failure case.

I would at the very least pull up Activity Monitor and poke around in that and see if anything sticks out.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The main thing that made my hackintosh feel "sluggish" was just the crappy scrool wheel implementation in OSX, since you are probably using a generic mouse and not a touchpad it will feel very different from the smooth touchpad scrolling on an Apple laptop.

I've had really good results getting that smooth scrolling back with https://smooze.co
I run my hackintosh with four 120hz displays and stuff like dragging a window across displays and scrolling (with smooze at least) feels way snappier than it does even in Windows

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm using a Magic Trackpad 2. Nothing stands out in Activity Monitor.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was having major slowdowns mainly to do with i/o. Enabled trim support in my older SSD and everything went back to normal.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

The issue may be Nvidia's latest drivers, which have introduced persistent stuttering/lag. Try this.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sent from my iPad posted:

The issue may be Nvidia's latest drivers, which have introduced persistent stuttering/lag. Try this.

Apparently nvidia fixed this issue with the latest driver version. I was using the latest nvidiafixup kext to solve the issue before but the latest drivers seem to fix it as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've come across the Vega Frontier Edition for a good price.
Are these vaguely comparable to 1080 in OS X / for Metal2 apps?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hey Hackintosh thread!

I've had a system running dual MacOS and Windows for the last 3 years relatively perfectly, but it seems my GPU (a GTX 970) is dying and I need to replace it. My first thought was to get a 1070 as it's the replacement for my 970 but prices are such now that I'd rather not spend $450 on a card, so I was looking at a 1060 which will still give me a slight bump over the 970 and is a "reasonable" $300. I've been tempted to go for a RX 580 though as it does get native MacOS support so I could stop messing with the NVIDIA web drivers which could be nice. The only thing is that the RX 580 is about $50 more and seems to be more power hungry than the GTX 1060.

edit: nvm: went with the 1060. Saving $50 and since my Hackintosh is already set up for NVIDIA stuff it'll be an easier upgrade, plus Amazon will deliver one today for free.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 18, 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001
going the AMD route is much better imo, the nvidia drivers have a lot of weird issues that crop up constantly. 580/Vega literally work OOB with no kexts or weird stuff

pram
Jun 10, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I've come across the Vega Frontier Edition for a good price.
Are these vaguely comparable to 1080 in OS X / for Metal2 apps?

i run fortnite at 1440p ultra and it does a smooth 60fps. i doubt theres actual benchmarks for 1080/V64 in osx, but theyre similar in all the Windows DX/OpenGL benchmarks i've seen

also get the liquid cooled card because the stock fan on the FE is hilariously loud

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sadly the Vega with the closed loop cooler was still hilariously expensive.
Maybe I should just get a 580 now they're cheap.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

x99 hackintosher here.

i cry a lot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

landgrabber posted:

x99 hackintosher here.

i cry a lot

I have an Asus X99-AII that I am thinking about converting. Is it really that bad?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

I have an Asus X99-AII that I am thinking about converting. Is it really that bad?

it's largely fine but powermanagement doesn't work

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I've been using qemu passthrough for the last year and it's always worked great. Updated to 10.13.5 and suddenly my rx560 chokes. Thanks Apple!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Here's a throwback. Video I made a while ago just for historical reasons about about running 10.6 on a netbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLW44GZzeOg

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shaocaholica posted:

Here's a throwback. Video I made a while ago just for historical reasons about about running 10.6 on a netbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLW44GZzeOg

I did the same thing on my Mini 9. It was practically unusable and I sold it after like 6 months.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey thread, I'm thinking about going the Hackintosh route with a separate SSD, but I was wondering if it'd be worth it with my current specs?

code:
Summary
		Operating System
			Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
		CPU
			Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz	22 °C
			Skylake 14nm Technology
		RAM
			8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1202MHz (16-16-16-39)
		Motherboard
			ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A (LGA1151)	25 °C
		Graphics
			MG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)
			2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA)	39 °C
		Storage
			232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)	35 °C
			931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)	28 °C
		Optical Drives
			No optical disk drives detected
		Audio
			Realtek High Definition Audio
Also, would this be a decent guide to follow?

https://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-install-full-guide/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Can't speak to the guide but your specs will run OSX wonderfully

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

“Worth it” is going to come down to what exactly you want to do with macOS and if it’s going to be more enjoyable than whatever you have on there right now. Worth it to try out if you have a few evenings to kill and are curious. I’d recommend getting a spare ssd or hard drive and keeping things very separate to begin with.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Granted I roll mine with the integrated Intel graphics, but you sort of need to keep up Nvidia webdrivers scene if that makes sense.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

“Worth it” is going to come down to what exactly you want to do with macOS and if it’s going to be more enjoyable than whatever you have on there right now. Worth it to try out if you have a few evenings to kill and are curious. I’d recommend getting a spare ssd or hard drive and keeping things very separate to begin with.

Is the overall experience any less than what I’d get from an actual Mac? I’ve always been a fan of OS X over Windows and have an official system that has lesser specs than my build up there since I bought it forever ago.

I’ll probably end up buying an SSD and running OS X on that and then seeing how it’ll work with reading the other drives I have on my PC.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are one or two very specific things that might not work for you like Facetime. Otherwise it is no different from a real Mac day to day. You have apple cloud storage, time machine, etc. MacOS will read your NTFS drives, FAT, ExFAT with no issues but won't write to NTFS without a commercial solution.

During your install you should disconnect all other HDD/SSD as a precaution(Windows seems to require it). You don't need to do it physically as you can do it logically through BIOS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Funny you mention that since now we have NVMe drives we can't disconnect them anymore!
Heck I can't even physically unplug mine without removing my CPU HSF (i.e. a huge pain in the rear end.)

I installed Mac OS X first onto the NVMe and Windows second onto a HDD. The Windows installer did create a bootloader on the NVMe but luckily in this EFI/GPT world it didn't kill my Clover.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Before I do a deep dive and order this SSD, does anyone have any really good guides they’d recommend?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The OP guide should still be mostly be relevant as Clover really changed the game. Google your motherboard and several after action reports should show up you can cross reference. It will be things like audio, GFX, network that will trip you up. I personally don't recommend doing a xyz-beast install, but that's just me as plenty others seem to do ok. I find troubleshooting far easier after doing a manual install because I knew what I did instead of a black box process. If you can help it don't shove things into S/L/E as Clover can handle that far better.

Run Clover on a USB stick so you can fix it if something breaks without pulling your computer apart and you can add Clover to your boot device later. Stick it somewhere safe so you will always have a known good boot loader.

Once you are good to good run Time Machine as it is the loving Boss. It won't save you from breaking Clover but will save you if an update goes wrong.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

After Googling, I found this guide here. Guy has the same motherboard as I do and aside from having a different GPU he has similar specs too.

https://gist.github.com/unsalted/efa85c99d7bf7e00bebe639825362c77

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

oohhboy posted:

on't write to NTFS without a commercial solution.

During your install you should disconnect all other HDD/SSD as a precaution(Windows seems to require it). You don't need to do it physically as you can do it logically through BIOS.

I came back to the thread since I’m
About to do the actually Hackintosh stuff and saw this. If I get a separate SSD for macOS and have Windows installed on another SSD already, should I still disconnect the other drives? In total, it’ll be 3: Windows, 1TB storage HDD, and then a 500GB SSD for macOS.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah disconnect them. It's mostly good practice/precautionary. One less thing to worry about.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Yeah disconnect them. It's mostly good practice/precautionary. One less thing to worry about.

Sounds good. I do wonder what problems might arise in having Windows but not using Boot Camp to install it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing. Boot camp doesn't work on a hack anyway.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Sounds good. Off to do the drat thing now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ok, I am fully on macOS now and everything looks sweet. However, to finish my testing, I need to figure out which card to buy to enable WiFi and bluetooth. My current card is Intel based so it doesn't work at all. Does anyone know of any Wifi-bluetooth card that work with little to no problem?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sorry this isn't very helpful, but ebay is full of cards that use the same chipset as a Mac. Try search for continuity/handoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
This is the card that Tonymac recommends nowadays, several people report complete success.

$37 on fleabay, but it ships from China.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-1750Mbps-802-11ac-Wireless-PCi-Express-WiFi-Adapter-BT4-0-/302479497765

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 3, 2018