Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

bessantj posted:

loving hell, he spends over eight hours on taking down hbombers Dark Souls 2 video. Then does his own defence video that is one hour forty five long.

Even his own defence video is itself largely just more ragging on DS2 in the form of damning-with-faint-praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Hel posted:

Did I misunderstand the chess challenge? I though it would mean that Hbomb would get a monopoly on prequel discussion, not that it would be free for all until the match actually happens.

you did misunderstand it, because it means that Hbomb would get a monopoly on Star Wars discussion.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

you did misunderstand it, because it means that Hbomb would get a monopoly on Star Wars discussion.

It would be a marked improvement

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cosmonaut Variety Hour dunks on the worst Spider-man movies as penance for his slightly lukewarm take about the Raimi movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-myJdkVKAk

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

It's a small thing, but I really appreciate how many internet personalities put out proper closed captioning so quickly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ds2 looks infinitely better now that ds3 came out.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grapplejack posted:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Senerio posted:

Guess I'll just eat probes till Tax gets tired or I get banned then, cause gently caress that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Senerio posted:

sounds good to me

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Grapplejack posted:

Yeesh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Every new Souls game is the worst game in the series that exposes how great the previous one actually was

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Stars Wars is the Dark Souls of Internet Discussion.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I liked that DS2 let me play any build, Adaptability tax aside. DS1 had Endurance rules, Resistance drools. DS3 was Gotta Go Fast, and Hyper-Armour is for noobs.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Annointed posted:

Stars Wars is the Dark Souls of Internet Discussion.

True, both are focused on punishing anything new and interesting and encourage repeating the same patterns over and over.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't played DS3 yet, but from what I played of DS2, it's interesting to see that it tried some different stuff in terms of setting and gear, whereas what I've seen of DS3 looks like a retread of DS1. Still, the world/level design I don't think is anywhere near as good as DS1's, and the changes to stats, health items, and bonfires put me off when I first played it (and I think still aren't to a lot of people's liking). I still haven't finished DS2, but I got burned out on it and uninstalled it to make room for other games I wanted to play at the moment.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Eight hours. loving nerds.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

somekindofguy posted:

Eight hours. loving nerds.

Seriously. Please tell me Hbomb commented on that video with "I'm not spending a full work day watching this, paraphrase it nerd"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
How many games can you speedrun in eight hours?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

What kind of loser would watch an eight-hour rebuttal to someone's one hour defense of a video game?

Oh wait, I guess I did. :smith:

It may sound (un)surprising, but I don't remember a whole lot of MauLer rebuttal (I actually tapped out once it got to his own defense of DS2). Some of the bigger points he hit on that I do remember were about how HBomb video seemed more like he was trashing at Dark Souls 1, and how he patronized MatthewMatosis and his critique of DS2.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Dean of Swing posted:

How many games can you speedrun in eight hours?

you could beat donkey kong 64 8 times, with time to spare.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leal posted:

Seriously. Please tell me Hbomb commented on that video with "I'm not spending a full work day watching this, paraphrase it nerd"

That’s five yotta-sargons!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Max Wilco posted:

What kind of loser would watch an eight-hour rebuttal to someone's one hour defense of a video game?

Oh wait, I guess I did. :smith:

It may sound (un)surprising, but I don't remember a whole lot of MauLer rebuttal (I actually tapped out once it got to his own defense of DS2). Some of the bigger points he hit on that I do remember were about how HBomb video seemed more like he was trashing at Dark Souls 1, and how he patronized MatthewMatosis and his critique of DS2.

I tapped out when he went on a rant about how Dark Souls 2's PVP was bad because he couldn't win. Because he couldn't get good at it, it was objectively bad. Therefore, fart, etc. So I stopped watching and did something else with the next few hours of my life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
How the gently caress does someone make an 8 hour rebulttal video? Why not just write a blog post or some poo poo. I like long rear end critiques but 8 hours is nuts.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't remember where I stopped but I do remember realizing that this was a line by line "takedown" of a 2 hour long video and just being both bewildered and sad.

also Darksouls 2 is the only souls where a punchman build is viable so clearly by that metric alone it's the superior game

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that all of the Dark Souls games were fun and I don't care all that much which one was the funnest.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't remember where I stopped but I do remember realizing that this was a line by line "takedown" of a 2 hour long video and just being both bewildered and sad.

also Darksouls 2 is the only souls where a punchman build is viable so clearly by that metric alone it's the superior game

One of the things that Dark Souls 2 improves on from DS1 (and does better than Bloodborne) is that it makes dual-wielding viable and gives you freedom to come up with all sorts of weird weapon combinations. I remember somebody talking about doing dual pyromancy flames, so that they could punch and shoot flames at the same time. I think DS1 lets you do some form of dual-wielding for a couple of weapons, but I think the left hand is mainly reserved for shields or catalysts.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

One of the reasons I've replayed DaS2 the most despite me thinking it's the second worst Souls game is all them character builds. There are so many builds to choose from. I can't even remember which builds I've done.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i love the wedding scene in the Deer Hunter, and also the scenes in the prequels are too long

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How the gently caress does someone make an 8 hour rebulttal video? Why not just write a blog post or some poo poo. I like long rear end critiques but 8 hours is nuts.

Clearly watching Dark Souls rebuttals is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls review watching.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They really hosed up PVP and all sorts of covenants were broken at launch. I don't know if they got around to fixing it but

Like you had to farm ears on the steps of anor Londo if you wanted to get the blue cov items for 100% because it didn't work, full stop. None of the area covenants worked. All the pvp was cestus parry > demon greataxe to OHK. you'd run into counter-gank squads of a host player with no armor sprinting around with two summoned buddy bodyguards, if you killed one the host would resummon them with no cost. The multiplayer queue would prioritize games with multiple players so you'd see them constantly and it totally ruined any invasions.

:argh:

Max Wilco posted:

One of the things that Dark Souls 2 improves on from DS1 (and does better than Bloodborne) is that it makes dual-wielding viable and gives you freedom to come up with all sorts of weird weapon combinations. I remember somebody talking about doing dual pyromancy flames, so that they could punch and shoot flames at the same time. I think DS1 lets you do some form of dual-wielding for a couple of weapons, but I think the left hand is mainly reserved for shields or catalysts.

My favorite thing to do in ds2 was belltower guard while powerstancing whips, no one knew how to deal with it but it wasn't overly powerful so they could still beat you.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 3, 2018

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

It's kinda funny that he hated the PVP because he couldn't win in a game where you can hold your own fine with a fun gimmick build. I don't know that an invader at the bell towers ever killed me during my dual caestus run and I still suck at these games.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
They should have just called Dark Souls 2 "Dragon Souls" or something and not pretend it has anything to do with Dark Souls aside from copy pasted weapons and bosses. Then Dark Souls 3 would be Dark Souls 2 and would feel more like a sequel in both story and mechanics.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also on a non gameplay note, DS2 had its own feel that was less oppressive than the other souls games, it felt kinda dreary yet wistful. I can mellow out playing hours of Dark Souls 2 but I can only stand to play Dark Souls 3 in short burst despite 3 being way easier.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

From two pages ago:

Hel posted:

Watching Campsters video on Prey: Mooncrash and listening to him describe the game makes me thinks it's some kind of systemic take on Forbidden Siren games, which sounds pretty cool. Having different characters inhabit and deal with the same space and problems in a way the affects the others is always neat. Resetting the spaces with corruption is also similar to how the Forbidden Siren games changed up the enemy(and sometimes items & world) layout on repeat playthroughs or just when playing a different characters who passes through a short time later. Though it's interesting how he brings up that most of these games let's you bypass the systems way too easily and doesn't actually encourage you to engage with them, they are there but nothing is nudging you towards them. Has anyone made a neat retrospective on the Forbidden Siren games? I feel like the fact that 2 didn't get a release in the US and people laughing at the British dub dampens the discussion of the series on the English speaking internet.

NitroRad covered all three Siren games for Halloween 2016 on his channel. He also covered the Silent Hill games for 2014 and 2015 Halloween.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

From two pages ago:

NitroRad covered all three Siren games for Halloween 2016 on his channel. He also covered the Silent Hill games for 2014 and 2015 Halloween.

Thanks I'll check it out later when I have a bit more time, it's amazing how much of your day going back to university takes up when you are trying to not to be a weird hermit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

Also on a non gameplay note, DS2 had its own feel that was less oppressive than the other souls games, it felt kinda dreary yet wistful. I can mellow out playing hours of Dark Souls 2 but I can only stand to play Dark Souls 3 in short burst despite 3 being way easier.

Unpopular opinion: I like Majula better as a hub than Firelink Shrine.

My favorite hub though, I think, is the Nexus in Demon's Souls.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 3, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

OmanyteJackson posted:

Also on a non gameplay note, DS2 had its own feel that was less oppressive than the other souls games, it felt kinda dreary yet wistful.

yeah, maybe I was in a unique mood because my mom just got her alzheimers diagnosis, but Lucatiel's end made me cry

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grapplejack posted:

The multiplayer queue would prioritize games with multiple players so you'd see them constantly and it totally ruined any invasions.

Yeah, it was the best iteration on Dark Souls PvP.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
While folks are in the mood for speedrunning I'd like to drop a mention for SummoningSalt who does really nice videos breaking down speedrun tactics and game exploits. It's pretty fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmJ_LT8bUj0

Someone must have mentioned him before here because I dunno how I stumbled across him myself! :p

VV That'll explain it then :downs:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Hbomb mentioned him by name and included a link to a DK64 video in his speedrunning video :v:

Before that, though, I don't think speedrunning has come up at all in this thread.