Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ODM GEAR RAP FIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Between the music and better pacing this arc has been way better than it was in the manga

Historia rejecting the plan and reiss crawling to the serum was fantastic

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Now that was a loving episode

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Unlike others I've always liked this arc, even in the manga, but holy poo poo does the anime just do it so much better.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can you guys explain the problems with this arc in the manga? Seems like all baller plot reveals and action to me

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It was paced a bit slower, and the manga is a monthly release so it dragged in way that you don't notice with the anime or even when reading through in one sitting.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can you guys explain the problems with this arc in the manga? Seems like all baller plot reveals and action to me

It took a year for the manga to cover what the anime did in seven episodes.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

McTimmy posted:

It took a year for the manga to cover what the anime did in seven episodes.
15 months actually, if I'm reading the volume summaries correctly, and there has been some editing/streamlining. The arc definitely benefits from the faster release schedule.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

15 months actually, if I'm reading the volume summaries correctly, and there has been some editing/streamlining. The arc definitely benefits from the faster release schedule.

And I thought I was overestimating if anything. But yikes. Not that I minded it like some, but it was a rough 1/4 of the entire manga at that point.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

That was a really good episode. I want to say that Reiss is full of poo poo, but I can't point to much of his story and go "Well, obviously that's a lie." Probably more selective editing than anything else.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

A monthly schedule of page after page of mostly text baloons for over a year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:trumppop:

Man...so that was...uhhhh...like everything, I guess. :stare:

Great episode, lot of infodumps, I'm glad Historia had the same thought I did at the same time. Literally turned to my wife like "if they've had this power for 100 years, why the gently caress haven't they..." and then Historia said her bit and made the big choice. The human vs. human fights were loving :krad:.

Dollars to Pesos that we still don't see a Titan Fight next week: I'm guessing Eren gets everyone out of the cave and we spend the rest of next week's ep with the crew, wondering what's happening in the cave.

Oh, and pour one out for my homie Hange-san, really liked that character...don't know why I felt that coming, but I knew it was as soon as the battle started. :smith:

Indiana_Krom posted:

:laffo:

Holy poo poo that would have been annoying as gently caress. :tviv:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:trumppop:

Man...so that was...uhhhh...like everything, I guess. :stare:

Great episode, lot of infodumps, I'm glad Historia had the same thought I did at the same time. Literally turned to my wife like "if they've had this power for 100 years, why the gently caress haven't they..." and then Historia said her bit and made the big choice. The human vs. human fights were loving :krad:.

Dollars to Pesos that we still don't see a Titan Fight next week: I'm guessing Eren gets everyone out of the cave and we spend the rest of next week's ep with the crew, wondering what's happening in the cave.

Oh, and pour one out for my homie Hange-san, really liked that character...don't know why I felt that coming, but I knew it was as soon as the battle started. :smith:

:laffo:

Holy poo poo that would have been annoying as gently caress. :tviv:

I though Hange was just out of the battle, not dead.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah I don't hate this arc overall but it was a grind to go through months and months of teasing about the wall conspiracy just after getting off Reiner and Bertholts wild ride

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bet we get a new op next episode now that all the geneology and nostalgia themes are done.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

This episode was a spot-on perfect mix of lore, political drama, sensible but hard choices, and incredibly well-choreographed action.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When I read the manga this arc was finished so I didn't have to wait an agonizing amount of time for it, and I enjoyed it as much as I've been enjoying the anime, so I think it really boiled down to how long it took to read serially

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I though Hange was just out of the battle, not dead.

I hope/think she's not dead, but uh, one way or another I doubt she'll be flying again. :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mordja posted:

I hope/think she's not dead, but uh, one way or another I doubt she'll be flying again. :ohdear:

How the gently caress do you go head-first into titan-crystal from 3+ stories and not get brained? :confuoot:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

How the gently caress do you go head-first into titan-crystal from 3+ stories and not get brained? :confuoot:

I thought it was a back-first impact. Also not good, but not as bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Man, I hope y'all are right, but are we even watching the same show? :kheldragar:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I'm also expecting a big titan fight next episode. However, one of the earlier episodes mentioned that Eren was having problems shingeki-ing his kyojin since he got his new ability. Unless Eren can make Reiss punch himself in the face, Eren may be in a bit of a pickle.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Man, I hope y'all are right, but are we even watching the same show? :kheldragar:
I've noticed that when characters die, the show loves to show glorious close-ups of their mangled bodies. Nothing like that here, plus there were a lot of reaction shots, which haven't been numerous previously when characters bite it. The storyboarding is telling us that Hange is badly injured, but still alive (for now).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I've got a bigger question: how the hell did Kenny keep his hat on through this whole fight?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
same way luffy's hat doesn't get damaged during combat past the first hundred chapters

It's Just Easier/Cooler That Way

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah i don't think hange is dead. if she was, the cord would've speared her heart and she'd be laying in a huge pool of blood or something.

she might die in someone's arms in a couple episodes though

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kassad posted:

I've got a bigger question: how the hell did Kenny keep his hat on through this whole fight?

Velcro

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He just has a lot of fedoras and keeps losing them and putting a new one on when the cameras not on him.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He constantly generates new hats using titan power.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The Ackerman bloodline is a royal bloodline of nice guys, and Mikasas name is actually M'Kasa.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This episode was fantastic. It feels like they've answered so many questions already! What other mysteries are there? What is in Eren's basement, why his dad did what he did, where did Titans come from? Also an interesting thing Eren's dad said, before he injected Eren he mentioned something about Eren's mother/to avenge her, we don't know what that was about as she was still alive.

EDIT: Also WHEN did Eren's dad inject him? In the first episode right, then Eren forgot all about it?

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 3, 2018

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

He's injected after wall Maria fell. Eren says something like "mom's death made you insane" to his dad before he's injected.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The entire 'dream' sequence where Grisha told him to find the basement and avenge his mother happened after Wall Maria fell. We know this because Grisha left with the key to the basement on the day of the attack, but Eren ends up with it later after waking up with the refugees - at some point, presumably that very same night and after dealing with the Reiss family, Grisha found him and the scene from the flashbacks played out.

Saagonsa posted:

He's injected after wall Maria fell. Eren says something like "mom's death made you insane" to his dad before he's injected.

That too.

You can imagine part of the reason Grisha was so out of it is he'd just found out his wife died. He was the one person in all of Shiganshina with the power to protect her, and he hadn't been there when his family needed him the most.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 3, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Good replies, thanks! It has been a while since I saw season 1!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's also the mystery of why the royal family wants to keep people within the walls. reiss theorizes that it's to give people a "god," but surely there's more to it than that. did they not have any religion before? did something happen to create a need for that? interesting that there doesn't seem to be a path to truly getting the answer to that that doesn't involve eren getting eaten

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Now that was a loving episode

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

there's also the mystery of why the royal family wants to keep people within the walls. reiss theorizes that it's to give people a "god," but surely there's more to it than that. did they not have any religion before? did something happen to create a need for that? interesting that there doesn't seem to be a path to truly getting the answer to that that doesn't involve eren getting eaten
I think it's like Reiss said - to maintain the peace. The titans were the perfect threat - they prevented any other humans from attacking the walls (or even making their existence known) while providing a common enemy for 'humanity' to unite against. They also provided a pretext for all the oppressive laws they put in place.

Things went wrong at the start of the series due to some of the victims of this plan seeking revenge and the Reiss family losing their ability to control titans. Before that as far as I can tell the titans didn't really do any significant damage to those inside the walls, since they couldn't get inside.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress was going on in the world that such drastic measures had to be taken just to keep society peaceful?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's an open question, but I suspect the Reiss King (and those who inherited his will by eating him) believe that peace through fear is actually a desirable state rather than a necessary evil. As opposed to the normal unrest and conflict human societies go through.

They're fascist analogues basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Titans weren't a problem for them if they want to maintain the status quo, and stay inside the walls. But that goes against what the Scouts believe in, in going outside, defeat the Titans, explore, and reclaim what Humanity had lost.