Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Real change: abandon bronze age worldviews all together and make something new

I really don't understand how Catholicism can truly enter modernity and remain anything more than a name and a history. Almost all of its core teachings are inherently regressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Bloop posted:

Almost all of its core teachings are inherently regressive

So are the Republican party's and yet here we are.

I've been rewatching the early seasons of It's Always Sunny and man that gets uncomfortable sometimes even though at no point are the main characters depicted as normal or admirable.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been rewatching the early seasons of It's Always Sunny and man that gets uncomfortable sometimes even though at no point are the main characters depicted as normal or admirable.

Because of the implication?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Don’t the characters and situations just get worse as time goes on though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always laugh when I see any conversation about "A Progressive Pope" - the Church is by design a lower-case-C conservative institution, and the Pope's job is literally to defend Orthodoxy. Hoping for a progressive Pope is actually less realistic than crossing your fingers that the next person appointed to run the Federal Reserve will be an artistic anarchist.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Krispy Wafer posted:

Except she kind of was losing her mind. I think her assets are still being controlled by her father and Kevin Federline managed to sole primary custody of their kids, which is something no one ever saw coming. The way Spears was treated was bullshit, but she wasn't mentally well.
Yeah, I regret laughing at her. In retrospect it was clear that she had some pretty serious problems. Recently she's talked about having bipolar disorder, which my dad had/has a form of.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Craig Ferguson stopped making fun of her, as well.
He's good people.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I appreciated the way South Park treated Michael Jackson as well, mostly because that's always been my view of him too--I always thought he was innocent of pedophilia, but was instead a deeply mentally ill man whose insanely abusive childhood kinda prevented him from properly maturing psychologically and emotionally, who then happened to be talented enough that the whole world was handed to him on a platinum platter.
I followed the 2005 trial and there was some really inappropriate poo poo going on at Neverland, at the very least. There's no mental illness that makes someone surround themselves with children with no other adult supervision and then start grooming specific children and their families. Ugly stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I appreciated the way South Park treated Michael Jackson as well, mostly because that's always been my view of him too--I always thought he was innocent of pedophilia, but was instead a deeply mentally ill man whose insanely abusive childhood kinda prevented him from properly maturing psychologically and emotionally, who then happened to be talented enough that the whole world was handed to him on a platinum platter.

Even the Venture Bros parody of Michael Jackson (combined with Superman and Batman, and voiced by Kevin Conroy) played to that angle; not a pedophile, he doesn't fit the profile compared to actual predators, but a hosed up man with no one to say no to him trying to relive his childhood while having a screwed up sense of boundaries and normalcy.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Don’t the characters and situations just get worse as time goes on though

The humour definitely changes from the early seasons. For example there's a transgender character who one of the main characters sort of has a thing with, and is deeply ashamed about this.The first episode with her in is basically "hurrr gross he's banging a a chick with a dick", while in the later seasons it's much clearer that the joke is that she's perfectly well adjusted, they're being idiot assholes about it, and she quickly tires of their bullshit.

There's lots of stuff like that I think. Right at the beginning there's more poo poo bro-y humour. In one of the early episodes they try to get free lap dances by pretending to be disabled veterans or something, and the strippers are all comically dumb bimbos and the plan basically works - the humour comes from them loving up a sweet plan to score hot girls by fighting among themselves. In the later seasons stuff like that generally plays out with bit characters not being fooled by them for a second and generally just being appalled and confused by their bullshit.

Haven't watched them in forever though so I might be misremembering

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Bloop posted:

I really don't understand how Catholicism can truly enter modernity and remain anything more than a name and a history. Almost all of its core teachings are inherently regressive

keep in mind that it's in the nature of institutions to have a natural inclination towards conservatism, and at its worst a lean towards convenient regressiveness until its worst positions become untenable, but this tendency rarely collapses institutions whole if ever

to use an example that turns the situation on its head, some scholars argue that one of the major factors in the rise of biological racism was that in the early years of the age of discovery the catholic church declared on theological grounds via papal bull that all non-europeans were, in fact, fully rational human beings with a soul deserving the same treatment and rights in the eyes of society and law regardless of their personal beliefs or status as a colonized people, explicitly naming tools of oppression like enslavement or forced conversion as anathema to christendom, then later re-affirmed that papal bull despite it being massively controversial and a huge inconvenience to empire building

while it's certainly possible to just ignore religious decrees, and many did, it did popularize the moral debate and racism as argued from from the position of rationality, and then later on more formally by science and academia, became the chief method of defusing theological arguments in the name of an objective truth discoverable by reason while justifying social policy on a level whose influence on world history can scarcely be understated - whole disciplines whose claim to truth stems from detached objectivity were at least tinged with the sort of thinking that promotes inequality (from the limited perspective of the elect) until as late as the 1980s with efforts to reform the collective narrative, and not collapse disciplines whole, into being more inclusive representing a major ongoing trend in modern academia and probably society as a whole tbh

in the end reform should always be attempted even if you doubt whether it can undo what's been done or if you think the pervasiveness of the existing situation limits the scope of reform too much to be meaningful - reform is the kind of thing that builds on itself once you get the ball rolling after all, i'm not catholic so i don't know what things they actually want from their institution but if catholics do want reform i say let them try?

CommonShore posted:

Pope's job is literally to defend Orthodoxy

in all fairness the difference between surface orthodoxy and underlying orthodoxy is why some pope's actually believe they are defending orthodoxy by making amendments more in line with good theology than existing practices

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

hard counter posted:

in the end reform should always be attempted even if you doubt whether it can undo what's been done or if you think the pervasiveness of the existing situation limits the scope of reform too much to be meaningful - reform is the kind of thing that builds on itself once you get the ball rolling after all, i'm not catholic so i don't know what things they actually want from their institution but if catholics do want reform i say let them try?
I'm Catholic and I want hella reform. It would also be nice if protecting child molesters was punished with total excommunication. The priest at my old school was threatened with excommunication for teaching a class on sexuality and spirituality (and for being openly gay) and he never did anything to anyone, so I don't see why people who protect child molesters can't be actually expelled from the Church.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the Venture Bros parody of Michael Jackson (combined with Superman and Batman, and voiced by Kevin Conroy) played to that angle; not a pedophile, he doesn't fit the profile compared to actual predators, but a hosed up man with no one to say no to him trying to relive his childhood while having a screwed up sense of boundaries and normalcy.
I will stand by my opinion till I die that he had inappropriate sexual contact with children and I really do not understand why people buy the whole "he had a terrible childhood, no one gave him any boundaries, he was just trying to recapture his childhood" thing. I can go into more detail on this if you want to be depressed.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CommonShore posted:

and the Pope's job is literally to defend Orthodoxy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

trickybiscuits posted:

I will stand by my opinion till I die that he had inappropriate sexual contact with children and I really do not understand why people buy the whole "he had a terrible childhood, no one gave him any boundaries, he was just trying to recapture his childhood" thing. I can go into more detail on this if you want to be depressed.
It's not really an opinion, more of a hypothesis, but here goes: he was hosed in the head, and he might have had "inappropriate" contact but it probably wasn't from the position of a predator as much as from trying to be a kid himself while still having some "adult" aspects is himself due to being physiologically fully adult.

In other words, he probably did wrong but from a place of innocence or confusion rather than attempting something he knew to be harmful.

He was not neurotypical and judging the morality of his motivations like someone who was is unfair.

Probably.

Doesn't mean he should have been given the opportunity though, obviously.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is not the thread to smash the pope to pieces with your strong fists no matter how deserved so please return to light and breezy topics like the rampant transphobia of 90s sitcoms

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think I mentioned this before in this thread, but I was rewatching some DVDs of The Norm Show, the '90s Norm sitcom and it's aged pretty well aside from an alarming amount of gay panic

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Remember when Paul VI showed up on "I Love Lucy"? That was cute.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

This is not the thread to smash the pope to pieces with your strong fists no matter how deserved so please return to light and breezy topics like the rampant transphobia of 90s sitcoms

Casual transphobia is a 2000s thing. You could still make fun of gays back in the 90s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d say it would be more like transphobia that doesn’t understand that it isn’t homophobia. Like in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 short with Mr. B Natural they make a ton of jokes about Mr. B being gay, even though what they seem to be noticing is that the impish, Peter Pan-inspired Mr. B is played by a woman. It’s like something makes them uncomfortable and they don’t quite get that it’s a woman in drag that bothers them so they keep shouting, “you’re gay, Mr. B Natural!”

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That was so gay, it's practically transgender.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Why would you guys want to fight the pope he's to busy playing that copy of Undertale he got from a youtuber

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Benedict XVI would get Genocide Ending on a first try

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gleebster posted:

Remember when Paul VI showed up on "I Love Lucy"? That was cute.

Something about the conveyor belt getting turned to high speed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This article makes the claim that Always Sunny has gotten more progressive in a sense, even if the character's haven't. I haven't seen enough of the show to know how good a claim it is though.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Why would you guys want to fight the pope he's to busy playing that copy of Undertale he got from a youtuber

I want to fight the Pope because he's the final boss of Assassin's Creed 2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah i'd basically agree with everything in that article, for a long time always sunny has struck a good balance of reveling in how awful and lovely the gang is without endorsing any of said shittyness

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The gang even got more progressive while getting even shittier in one recent episode.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Last Chance posted:

I think I mentioned this before in this thread, but I was rewatching some DVDs of The Norm Show, the '90s Norm sitcom and it's aged pretty well aside from an alarming amount of gay panic

I can't remember a single thing about The Norm Show other than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6lPaxhWeA

:psyduck:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vandar posted:

I can't remember a single thing about The Norm Show other than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6lPaxhWeA

:psyduck:

I'm mostly sober and this seems like something you'd get from a fever dream or acid flashbacks

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Laurie Metcalf Butterfree. "I wanna throw a chair at him!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Planet didn't go far enough. Though on a lighter note it does come to mind as being one of the only shows I remember from my childhood that had Africans (from Africa), Asians and South Americans (and Eastern Europeans?) regularly depicted as fairly normal, relatable people without bringing up some stereotype every other line.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are you definitely remembering accurately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJrovKgrTw

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Sep 3, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I didn't say the Irish, to be fair. Also I don't think I saw that episode. I might have only had the second season on TV irregularly.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
All the characters are from a specific country except the Asian one, she's from Asia. Because the entire continent is homogenous and it isn't worth specifying which country she's from. She wasn't portrayed as a stereotype but as someone who often got asked by other people if I could speak Korean or if the local Chinese restaurant was owned by my family despite having a very common Japanese surname, it was pretty annoying.

And then the Soviet Union fell so the girl from there became vaguely Eastern European as a result so I guess Gi wasn't alone in being from nowhere in particular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought she was Chinese, I think.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Don Gato posted:

All the characters are from a specific country except the Asian one, she's from Asia. Because the entire continent is homogenous and it isn't worth specifying which country she's from. She wasn't portrayed as a stereotype but as someone who often got asked by other people if I could speak Korean or if the local Chinese restaurant was owned by my family despite having a very common Japanese surname, it was pretty annoying.

And then the Soviet Union fell so the girl from there became vaguely Eastern European as a result so I guess Gi wasn't alone in being from nowhere in particular.

What country was the African bloke from? I thought he was from generic "Africa". Just as the annoying Heart kid was from generic "south america".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

What country was the African bloke from? I thought he was from generic "Africa". Just as the annoying Heart kid was from generic "south america".

Yeah, Linka was actually the odd one out in being from a specific country rather than a region. Even Wheeler's from "North America".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOMYC6mlsY

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I went to see The League of Gentleman Live last night and although it was on the whole very funny, one or two of their characters have not aged well. Herr Lipp in particular seemed a really awful negative stereotype of homosexuality, and the blending of is a gay with is a sexual predator was deeply uncomfortable.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

African guy is from Ghana, the American is from Brooklyn and the south American kid is from the Amazon in Brazil.

Why the gently caress do I still know this :psyduck: I don't even know where they mention it but it's now burned into my brain.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Captain Planet always gets me with the insane amount of star power in the original cast:
  • Whoopi Goldberg
  • LeVar Burton
  • Ed Asner
  • Jeff Goldblum
  • James Coburn
  • Meg Ryan
  • Martin Sheen
  • Sting
  • Tim Curry
  • Dean Stockwell

And that's just the main cast!

The guest starring roles had: Elizabeth Taylor, Malcom McDowell, Louis Gossett Jr., Danny Glover, Vanna White, Neil Patrick Harris, Dionne Warwick, Rita Moreno, Jonathan Winters, and Helen Hunt.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ted Turner actually reached out to David Trimble and John Hume to appear in the "Captain Planet Saves Belfast" episode but it fell through because neither of them could convincingly portray a teenager.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo posted:

Captain Planet always gets me with the insane amount of star power in the original cast:
  • Whoopi Goldberg
  • LeVar Burton
  • Ed Asner
  • Jeff Goldblum
  • James Coburn
  • Meg Ryan
  • Martin Sheen
  • Sting
  • Tim Curry
  • Dean Stockwell

And that's just the main cast!

The guest starring roles had: Elizabeth Taylor, Malcom McDowell, Louis Gossett Jr., Danny Glover, Vanna White, Neil Patrick Harris, Dionne Warwick, Rita Moreno, Jonathan Winters, and Helen Hunt.

People really cared about the environment I guess. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People really cared about the environment I guess. :smith:

the 80s were a strange time to grow up, I really thought that every adult was really interested in preserving it and that it was this big deal that all the grown ups agreed on.

Im sure giving a poo poo about sexual assault the way we do now will be considered just as ridiculous in 20 years.