Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol nouveau kept causing kernel panics so i had to install the proprietary nvidia driver.

also meta+p kept switching my monitors to mirrored mode and the keyboard config wouldn't let me rebind it, so i had to install dconf to change the settings. dunno why gnome keyboard shortcuts suck so bad.

good old linux.

yeah, nouveau sucks thanks a lot to nvidia. the nouveau devs have got what they've gotten working p much through reverse engineering. worse yet, the proprietary nvidia driver is a mess too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the official Nvidia driver would probably be more stable if Linux had a grown up kernel interface

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

the official Nvidia driver would probably be more stable if Linux had a grown up kernel interface

Just like MacOS and Windows that don’t break drivers for each kernel update?
If anything, perhaps Nvidia trying to cram a gigantic wrapper around their Windows driver, ignoring any announcements of ABI depredations, and straight up ignoring the kernel ABI in other places couldn’t be the issue at all.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

lame gimmick

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that most classic of linux red herrings, assigning blame for why something does not work as if that mattered to any actual usecase

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that most classic of linux red herrings, assigning blame for why something does not work as if that mattered to any actual usecase

:shrug: it works beautifully when you're using hardware by a company that's not totally hostile

every other company works with the general opensource community, while nvidia insists on doing their own weird, buggy thing every single time and every single instance.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nvidia too ashamed of their garbage spaghetti code to let anyone else view it :colbert:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

the confusing bit is why nvidia bothers at all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Disney, DreamWorks, Pixar, ILM, Sony Pictures run their production houses on Linux

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Disney, DreamWorks, Pixar, ILM, Sony Pictures run their production houses on Linux

there's tegra too

what i want to know is how many freebsd and solaris users they have to justify maintaining drivers for those platforms

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
my understanding is that the nvidia linux team is heavily profitable just off the movie studios alone.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The_Franz posted:

there's tegra too

what i want to know is how many freebsd and solaris users they have to justify maintaining drivers for those platforms

Nintendo Switch runs on Tegra and purportedly uses the FreeBSD kernel

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My guess on Solaris is that there is still some cad software or whatnot that still needs to run on that OS but it works a ton better on new hardware.

Probably cheaper and less financially risky than throwing a blank check at Oracle

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

el dorito posted:

no, it runs nintendo's custom home-grown microkernel that they originally developed for the ds

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

el dorito posted:

It does not. Some guy found a license for zlib in the menu and confused it for the FreeBSD kernel one, and the rumor spread from there.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The_Franz posted:

no, it runs nintendo's custom home-grown microkernel that they originally developed for the ds

Suspicious Dish posted:

It does not. Some guy found a license for zlib in the menu and confused it for the FreeBSD kernel one, and the rumor spread from there.

I stand corrected. I pulled information wholesale from wikipedia and this is where it got me.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

el dorito posted:

I stand corrected. I pulled information wholesale from wikipedia and this is where it got me.

the way of fishmech

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

today in linux i started loving around with k8s

seems... good?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The_Franz posted:

mariOS

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

pretty good move, the software seems clunky at times but is really trouble-free

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my copy of tux racer supreme keeps crashing when I try to enter the license key

does anyone have the fax number?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

you would think, but it's not any better on Solaris, which does have a fully fledged stable abi

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

not many

freebsd and solaris were already mostly-dead when nvidia released the drivers

i'm not sure sun ever even sold nvidia cards directly

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

today in linux i started loving around with k8s

seems... good?

face yourself to etcd splitbrain

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"Games? on a computer?" -- Skeet McNelly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
steam play is fuckin awesome

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

just a short update on the progress of gnome by one of the devs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdecJ4XhmWE

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wth

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

open source projects should add "no public showing of anime" to their code of conduct

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Tankakern posted:

open source projects should add "no public showing of anime" to their code of conduct

im embarrassed on their behalf and thats a horrible feeling

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i dual booted beos 5 for maybe over 6 months while I was a relative childe

thats a linux right?? it seemed ok compared to other non-os x linus os distributions, imjho

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

just a short update on the progress of gnome by one of the devs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdecJ4XhmWE

that isnt a dev its an easily excited """journalist"". had to deal with him a lot lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Tankakern posted:

this isn't going far enough, linux should be made incompatible with anime and kernel panic immediately when it detects it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

this isn't going far enough, linux should be made incompatible with anime and kernel panic immediately when it detects it

policy should be kept in userspace

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

r u ready to WALK posted:

iawtp, but kill -9 the user instead

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I made a 6 Line docker file that creates an image that will allow me to compile BuildRoot in any OS I want today.
It works really well surprisingly!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ratbert90 posted:

I made a 6 Line docker file that creates an image that will allow me to compile BuildRoot in any OS I want today.
It works really well surprisingly!

have you used yocto before?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Knowing what I know about the quality of Linux file browers and thumbnail rendering engines, every one of those animes is a potential attack vector.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

iawtp, but kill -9 the user instead

no suicide requests in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

have you used yocto before?

Several times. Every time I use it I can’t justify using it over BuildRoot.