Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Huh, cool. Beta RE2 design? I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Same. I can dig it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dressing like an incredibly obvious spy just makes her appearance fit her character. ada could run around with the word spy tattooed on her forehead and it still couldn't be more obvious.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
ada's spy disguise is about as effective as Mr. X's hat which I love

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RIP in peace 90s designs... u will be missed

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That Ada design,

what is this, the Cold War?

And sunglasses? At night? Really? Ada's not Wesker.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm here looking for my boyfriend John, and am definitely not a spy with my trenchcoat and sick sunglasses.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Everything about RE2 looks and sounds loving amazing, I am honestly surprised by how good a job Capcom have done updating it whilst keeping the atmosphere on point. Hoping the PC port is decent at launch as I'm considering booking a few days off just to blast through it as soon as it unlocked!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Lunethex posted:

That Ada design,

what is this, the Cold War?

And sunglasses? At night? Really? Ada's not Wesker.

Capcoms, if you're reading this, please retcon everything after RE3 so that Ada is like Wesker in some manner and the big Umbrella metaplot actually makes sense!

It was Wesker who had all of the clones, with the one infiltrating STARS being separate from the one that betrayed STARS, got killed, came back, etc, right?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kibayasu posted:

Well red dress also just screams Femme Fatale so they’re keeping up with very obvious character design.

Also that coat seems tailor made to be removed very dramatically at the appropriate time.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if the point is not to have her in "incognito mode" in the beginning where Leon thinks she's a damsel in distress, and in red when she's being her real self - possibly with a dramatic reveal that cements Leon's crush on her because she's just too cool.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Creamed Cormp posted:

Ada's design has been leaked

garbage opinion : not a huge fan and this is not only because it just screams "I'm a Spy" but also because I have some kind of weird obsession with RE characters keeping their assigned colors (blue for Jill and Leon, green for Chris, Red for Claire, Ada and Barry and so on) I know it's a very dumb thing to care about but whatever

You know, I dig it. Leon is gullible and naive so when he is told that Ada is a spy and he doesn't believe it, it will be that much funnier. That and this series is always great when we get schlocky, B movie camp and this look fits right into that.

Though I wonder about the colour of the trench right now. Is Carmen Sandiego's look copyrighted? I think Ada would look even more ridiculous if the coat was red (no hat though, that's Mr. X's thing now)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Creamed Cormp posted:

Speaking of which:

We could have ended up with this loving thing adorning our entry into the series, which was supposedly at one point an actual, seen-by-the-masses* promotional image.

If it looks vaguely familiar (for reasons other than the obvious similarity to what we actually got), then it's because of this:

DREDD-IDENT EVIL

*Masses being anyone reading videogame magazines, etc., so really it was the opposite of the masses back in those dark days of late '95/early '96.

Edit:
And, uh, I'm alright with Ada's "new" look (it's about as "new" as RE1.5 so hurrah for recycling old concept work because we can make it look good ingame now and not like a blurry oh-poo poo-we-only-have-256-colours-across-the-palette mess).

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 2, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Aces High posted:

You know, I dig it. Leon is gullible and naive so when he is told that Ada is a spy and he doesn't believe it, it will be that much funnier. That and this series is always great when we get schlocky, B movie camp and this look fits right into that.

Though I wonder about the colour of the trench right now. Is Carmen Sandiego's look copyrighted? I think Ada would look even more ridiculous if the coat was red (no hat though, that's Mr. X's thing now)

Holy poo poo, if Leon now actually goes "Huh, okay, that makes perfect sense actually." I'll actually explode in laughter.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Who's to say there isn't a red dress under that trench coat?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like it better when she doesn’t look like a spy as that’s laying it on to thick.

I like it better that her motive makes sense but she constantly does stuff that are confusing but Leon doesn’t give a gently caress.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Creamed Cormp posted:

Didn't they say the classic outfits were going to be unlockables/DLC? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere. Although, that does raise a question: with Claire now wearing a full-size jacket for the remake, how silly will it look on Sherry? The old vest was easy to pass off, but Claire's new jacket doesn't quite have that luxury of fitting well on a much smaller person.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Didn't they say the classic outfits were going to be unlockables/DLC? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere. Although, that does raise a question: with Claire now wearing a full-size jacket for the remake, how silly will it look on Sherry? The old vest was easy to pass off, but Claire's new jacket doesn't quite have that luxury of fitting well on a much smaller person.

Costumes were:

Arklay Sheriff and Noir for Leon, and Noir/Military/Elza Walker for Claire. I expect the Elza costume will be her rad 90's outfit though it's a bit more motorcross. No idea what the other 4 costumes look like.

Some people speculate that since the above 5 costumes are specified as "Extra," this means that other stuff will be normal unlockables through gameplay, so if that's the case I bet Claire gets her classic look through completion of the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

Costumes were:

Arklay Sheriff and Noir for Leon, and Noir/Military/Elza Walker for Claire. I expect the Elza costume will be her rad 90's outfit though it's a bit more motorcross. No idea what the other 4 costumes look like.

Some people speculate that since the above 5 costumes are specified as "Extra," this means that other stuff will be normal unlockables through gameplay, so if that's the case I bet Claire gets her classic look through completion of the game.
Yeah, a "Beat the game, unlock retro outfits" scenario sounds highly likely, now that you mention it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Sherry will get a brown bomber jacket instead and in the final cutscene toss it to Leon like Mean Joe Greene did to the kid in that Coca Cola commercial.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
It will be the retro outfits but they will be the literal PS1 RE2 player models just like in RE7

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you'll forgive me for linking to my own Twitter, I thought this was pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/stolisomancer/status/1036275475901865984

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Recently bought REmake and I'm not sure what happened to me but I cannot get the fixed camera thing down anymore and have a bitch of a time aiming. I used to kick rear end on RE1. I think I'm spoiled by over the shoulder so I'm very much looking forward to RE2make. One thing I noticed in that demo though was that it didn't look like there was a targeting dot. The player was having trouble shooting that thing's eyeball weak spot. Is that in options or do you have to find a laser sight or something?

I might install REZero and give that a shot. Maybe on easy mode since apparently I suck now. Honestly forgot that I had it installed. Is it worth a go?

Started in on Prey last night and it's seriously creeping me out so that's good but I'm worried that there won't be enough variety of enemies. Also, I'm pretty sure I know the "twist" already (if there is one) and wonder why they'd make it so obvious if it's what I think it is.

Reading this thread makes me want to do another RE7 run. I beat it once like over a year ago and loved it. I like taking long breaks from survival horror games so that they feel more fresh when i replay them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Recently bought REmake and I'm not sure what happened to me but I cannot get the fixed camera thing down anymore and have a bitch of a time aiming. I used to kick rear end on RE1. I think I'm spoiled by over the shoulder so I'm very much looking forward to RE2make. One thing I noticed in that demo though was that it didn't look like there was a targeting dot. The player was having trouble shooting that thing's eyeball weak spot. Is that in options or do you have to find a laser sight or something?

I might install REZero and give that a shot. Maybe on easy mode since apparently I suck now. Honestly forgot that I had it installed. Is it worth a go?

Started in on Prey last night and it's seriously creeping me out so that's good but I'm worried that there won't be enough variety of enemies. Also, I'm pretty sure I know the "twist" already (if there is one) and wonder why they'd make it so obvious if it's what I think it is.

Reading this thread makes me want to do another RE7 run. I beat it once like over a year ago and loved it. I like taking long breaks from survival horror games so that they feel more fresh when i replay them.

Play Evil Within 2 if you haven't already, game is loving great all the way through and is much more RE4 than Silent Hill this time round.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

If you'll forgive me for linking to my own Twitter, I thought this was pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/stolisomancer/status/1036275475901865984

people are probably still getting used to Claire's new look. None of the characters in RE history have a very consistent look (Jill and especially Chris are extremely guilty of this) though Leon probably had the most pronounced arc of rookie to confident gov agent to grizzled dark ops and mostly kept a consistent physical appearance. Hell, he even had the same 2 voice actors for several games and movies with Paul Mercier and Matthew Mercer.

Strangely, though Chris has the same voice actor, Roger Craig Smith, from RE5 and beyond and even in MCVI, he had a different one for RE7, so that probably only adds to the conspiracy theories (unless the game was one of the game VA strike byproducts.)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Still makes me chuckle that Chris Redfield is the same VA as Sonic the Hedgehog as of Sonic Colours. What weird tonal whiplash.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
ada looks great, shes still wearing the dress and i 100% expect that coat to come of at some point, probably toward the lab area. also its like loving october in raccoon city and its been raining outside as the game starts. lol if you are not wearing a coat.

hell leon has a new jacket you can see in the first trailer during his run up to the police station. actually think in the demo we've seen, marvin gives leon his RPD uniform and he gets changed there, theres a weird cutoff point during one cutscene and the follow up as leon adjusting himself

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Convex posted:

Play Evil Within 2 if you haven't already, game is loving great all the way through and is much more RE4 than Silent Hill this time round.

Played both EW1 and 2.

EW2 was way better and I enjoyed the hell out of it. EW1 had way too many instakills and was all over the place tonally. I stuck with it but wasn't nuts about it. Part 2 was great. Loves the suburbs maps.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I really wish I could play Evil Within 2, it looks phenomenal and seems like it has a lot of cool ideas, but I can’t get it to run over 10FPS even on the lowest settings. My PC is generally adequately spec’d for gaming, too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Recently bought REmake and I'm not sure what happened to me but I cannot get the fixed camera thing down anymore and have a bitch of a time aiming. I used to kick rear end on RE1. I think I'm spoiled by over the shoulder so I'm very much looking forward to RE2make.

Don’t you get an option for auto-aim in REmake? That was a feature in every RE past 1 I thought.

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing I noticed in that demo though was that it didn't look like there was a targeting dot. The player was having trouble shooting that thing's eyeball weak spot. Is that in options or do you have to find a laser sight or something?

Apparently that might have been just a tech demo to play on stage while people talk over it so it’s not really true gameplay.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

ada looks great, shes still wearing the dress and i 100% expect that coat to come of at some point, probably toward the lab area. also its like loving october in raccoon city and its been raining outside as the game starts. lol if you are not wearing a coat.

hell leon has a new jacket you can see in the first trailer during his run up to the police station. actually think in the demo we've seen, marvin gives leon his RPD uniform and he gets changed there, theres a weird cutoff point during one cutscene and the follow up as leon adjusting himself

Does the upper mid west get cold in october? Usually we dont get relief from the devils taint until November down south.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Does the upper mid west get cold in october? Usually we dont get relief from the devils taint until November down south.

Depends but typically yes.

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing I noticed in that demo though was that it didn't look like there was a targeting dot. The player was having trouble shooting that thing's eyeball weak spot. Is that in options or do you have to find a laser sight or something?

In the E3 demo there's a targeting reticle, though I do hope there is an option for laser sights.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Recently finished REmake, having never played RE1. I completely loved the game, and I can only imagine how awesome it must have been in 1996. I was really impressed at the pace of escalation of the game, it never felt like way more then I could handle, but there were thresholds (crimson heads!) that made it feel like poo poo just got way more serious as soon as I got too comfortable.Surprising amount of creature variety as well. I did not expect zombie sharks at all and that ended up being one of the most memorable sequences. I really see now why everyone felt like the first half of RE7 was reminiscent of the original, the gradually expanding single location that you spend a lot of going back and forth in really draws you into the game. Honestly way more video games need to give you a sense of place, I'm looking forward to the RE2make and the RPD for the same reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE1 was juuuust a bit different than REmake, mind you. Even as soon as RE2 came out I remember looking at RE1 and going “That wasn’t actually all the good.”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Honestly way more video games need to give you a sense of place, I'm looking forward to the RE2make and the RPD for the same reason.

People are mixed on it but Alien: Isolation did a really great job with this.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

RE1 was juuuust a bit different than REmake, mind you. Even as soon as RE2 came out I remember looking at RE1 and going “That wasn’t actually all the good.”

When I was in fifth grade Resident Evil 1 was terrifying poo poo that gave me nightmares.

Granted, that was when I was in fifth grade and the idea of horror games at all was a totally new one, at least in the West. But yeah, the game was always about the atmosphere. The gameplay itself was very secondary.

Plus.... there's a lot to be said for the sheer novelty of the experience, back then. Like I said, scary games was just not a concept that really existed prior to that; games were either brightly colored and cartoonishly cheerful, or escapist fantasies designed to let you feel unstoppable and mow down bad guys en masse. A game where you were surrounded by monsters and hopelessly out of your depth was something very, very new and disturbing.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 4, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

But there had already been 3 Alone in the Dark entries :confused:

Unless you mean that Resident Evil helped bring horror games to the mainstream and less niche. I believe that, along with Silent Hill

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Aces High posted:

But there had already been 3 Alone in the Dark entries :confused:

Unless you mean that Resident Evil helped bring horror games to the mainstream and less niche. I believe that, along with Silent Hill

You're not wrong but aoitd was about as scary as a scooby doo episode. I was about 10 when I played aoitd but while still scary it was really campy, boo spooky ghosts kinda scary.

RE 1 gave me nightmares. I would have trouble going to the bathroom at night for years. I'd cover my ears while someone else was playing it to manage my fear levels, because the game absolutely freaked me out.

When RE2 came out, my local game store had a life sized cardboard cutout of the cop zombie and the girl zombie from the promo art in a corner. I'd avoid that corner... their eyes!

Aoitd had bucaneers and indians.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Young me would sleep facing the wall because if a zombie was going to eat me in my I didn't want to see it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vic posted:

You're not wrong but aoitd was about as scary as a scooby doo episode. I was about 10 when I played aoitd but while still scary it was really campy, boo spooky ghosts kinda scary.

RE 1 gave me nightmares. I would have trouble going to the bathroom at night for years. I'd cover my ears while someone else was playing it to manage my fear levels, because the game absolutely freaked me out.

When RE2 came out, my local game store had a life sized cardboard cutout of the cop zombie and the girl zombie from the promo art in a corner. I'd avoid that corner... their eyes!

Aoitd had bucaneers and indians.

The similarities to Alone in the Dark were widely acknowledged even when the game was new, with more than one review pointing out how a puzzle or two was stolen from Alone in the Dark as well. But even at that time it was like "this game is just like Alone in the Dark except amazingly creepy and incredibly looking in every way."

All of the biggest games are like that, they build on and give us an ultimate refinement of what's come before that breaks into mainstream success. Like neither Street Fighter II or Virtua Fighter 2 were even close to being the first one on one fighting games but they're still the basis for what we know as fighting games today.

Resident Evil 1 was absolutely 100% that game for survival horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I know y'all know which ones I was talking about, but I have to:

There are so many zombies in various media that go for that "most hosed up face you can do with makeup" look, and feel like monsters with personality. Especially the 28 days later kind of zombie loses a lot of the appeal for me, because they're basically just angry people with bad skin.

But RE 1 - 3 zombies are sad. It's not anger, or hatred, it's just hunger. And when you shoot them they cry out like "what is happening to me?". The keeper's diary in RE1 describes the gradual process of mental deterioration so well, that along with the haunting and melancholic music accompanying both games, that it does something I haven't seen or felt in the genre since. These were people once and especially with the girl zombie* appearing in 2 for the first time it drove home the incredible sadness of the whole thing. It's like late stage alzheimer's but your body rots as well, and there's still a glimmer of you in the shuffling corpse, suffering, no longer capable of understanding what is happening anymore.

Somewhere deep inside my brain I'm still kinda terrified of the concept of the T-Virus and that it kinda sorta could be real.

( EDIT: *These are no longer some secret lab umbrella employees, these are real babes being zombified. I was so mad. )

Vic fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 4, 2018