Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Installing remotely rules. Even with 175Mbps down, Forza 7, Quantum break and Halo MCC would have used up all my playing time if I had to do it after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
I'm gonna play this Mickey Mouse game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

I'm gonna play this Mickey Mouse game.

You’re gonna need to be more specific in this thread :laugh:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Reminder that just before the demise of the Dreamcast, Sega tried to give away the hardware with a 2 year SegaNet subscription.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Halo and mw2 it’s grade 9 all over again

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is MW2 populated? Is it playable?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

There’s a ton of people playing right now. I saw I think 15? possible games to join when I searched for 3rd person team tactical lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Man, Halo 1 is still rough even with the upgrades. I was blown away when it was brand new, sold my PS1 and got an xbox immediately after playing it at a friend's, but as usual I'm not feeling any nostalgia playing old games. I don't think I could make it through all of the MCC. Didn't really like Halo after 2 anyway, and never played 4 (played 5 for about 20 minutes - yikes 343. At least Halo 1 has ok writing)

Reminds me of when I booted up the old C64 and tried my favourite game - USA vs USSR hockey, by EA Sports - only to be horrified by what I used to think was stunning visuals/gameplay.

The nostalgia part of my brain is broken. I can understand why young people wonder why Halo was so beloved now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo’s best features is basically a pile of good mechanics that had never been together before now in one location together that everybody looked at and iterated the hell out of, often better.

Map design is absolutely not its strength because holy moly is the first game completely dire except Silent Cartographer which for some reason is the only map type Halo did that none of its descendents ever tried again.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i was a young people who was confused by people loving halo back in 2001. i have never even remotely understood how anyone could even tolerate playing that slow-as-molasses moon-gravity shitfest where everything takes at least three times as long to kill as it should. not to mention the warthog being responsible for ruining all vehicle controls in all console shooters that came after.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont like how the warthog controls at all but bungie nailed the flying vehicles in reach. Those levels rule

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't hate on the vehicle controls in Halo when Mass Effect 1 exists.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Halo owned

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

ethanol posted:

Halo owned

This unironically. The warthog controlled great too. Even if it's butt was swinging everywhere, the front went where you told it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Bungie Halo games are awesome, but the titles that 343 has worked on were all embarrassing.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

yeah halo 1 is super playable to this day, dunno what y’all are talking about.

honestly it looks better without the updated graphics from anniversary in mcc.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I said come in! posted:

The Bungie Halo games are awesome, but the titles that 343 has worked on were all embarrassing.

I mean yeah what else would you expect from some rando studio trying to zombie carry on a big game series

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

I mean yeah what else would you expect from some rando studio trying to zombie carry on a big game series

But enough about Destiny 2

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I am having a blast with MCC so far. Between all the campaigns and multiplayer options, there is just so much available to do. I'm also a huge achievement/trophy whore, and the amount in this collection give me plenty more to strive for on top of everything else. Just had to gush over how awesome it all is.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I said come in! posted:

I can't hate on the vehicle controls in Halo when Mass Effect 1 exists.

space mudding did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I played some Halo CE online today with my goon buddy. I forgot how fun the physics were. Nades launch other nades, tons of fun chain reactions.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Beastie posted:

I played some Halo CE online today with my goon buddy. I forgot how fun the physics were. Nades launch other nades, tons of fun chain reactions.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BisterdDave posted:

I'm also a huge achievement/trophy whore, and the amount in this collection give me plenty more to strive for on top of everything else.

6,000 cheevos lol

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's really easy to sign up for gold/game pass but as far as I can tell there's no way to turn off auto renewal on the xbox itself short of using the browser. Am I missing something or is this just a lovely way they try to keep you paying for the subscriptions?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

You should be able to just go to your subscriptions and turn off the renewals in settings

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its pc/website only in the usa. No shut off on console

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Real hurthling! posted:

Its pc/website only in the usa. No shut off on console
They went through the trouble to make it work the way it should but didn't enable it for the US because our weak consumer protection laws allow them to be shitheads, got it.

I don't play online at all, but often when I go buy something it ends up being a better deal to buy gold or gamepass first and always turns on auto renew, is there a way to prevent that? Also, why do you get the deals sometimes with gold and sometimes with gamepass?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So with Xbox One X, only resolution and framerate are improved? Is actual texture quality improved the same way with say messing with PC settings of a game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

So with Xbox One X, only resolution and framerate are improved? Is actual texture quality improved the same way with say messing with PC settings of a game?

The 1x has texture packs for some games. Part of why installs get so big

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

For most games I have tried between both my ps4 pro and Xbox one x they are about equal and yes it’s mostly only resolution and/or frame rate. Honestly the improvements over the original Xbox and ps4 are extremely lackluster for me in either case and I’m comfortable blaming the weak cpu in each system. My pc still blows them out of the water for multiplats

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Youtube channel DigitalFoundry is a good resource for comparisons of games between all of the different platforms. It's useful if you're really into graphics quality and seeing games at their absolute best. At the end of the day though a high end PC is always going to beat out the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. That said, both systems are very powerful and are going to give you a fantastic gaming experience for far cheaper than any gaming PC.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm just curious if it would be accurate to say that the XBox One X is the most powerful system out now, if it doesn't utilize its power under its hood.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm just curious if it would be accurate to say that the XBox One X is the most powerful system out now, if it doesn't utilize its power under its hood.

It does utilize it. This was established like months ago.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

However, benefits on games that aren't specifically enhanced for the X vary a lot.

Pretty universally you do get stabler framerates, though. And IF the game employs a dynamic resolution and/or an uncapped framerate, those usually see some real improvements. Also, loading times are much faster on unenhanced games because a part of RAM is used as RAMdisk. But the X really can't do anything beyond that for old games.

So if you have a game with a fixed 900p resolution and a 30 fps cap, it's still the same crap on the X.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I mean to further establish what I mean, a game on the Xbox One X has to be designed to work well with the Xbox One. So while things like resolution and framerates can be improved, developers can't do something like say take out a setpiece that didn't work on the Xbox One, but add in for Xbox One X players.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean to further establish what I mean, a game on the Xbox One X has to be designed to work well with the Xbox One. So while things like resolution and framerates can be improved, developers can't do something like say take out a setpiece that didn't work on the Xbox One, but add in for Xbox One X players.

The gently caress are you trying to say.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

punk rebel ecks posted:

That makes it a new game only for Xbonx, so a really bad decision.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

punk rebel ecks posted:

They're not allowed to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't know if Microsoft has a hard rule about this but Sony definitely does for the PS4 and PS4 Pro, in that developers are not allowed to hold off features other than graphics/framerate from base console users. No "upgraded console only" games or gameplay features, no segregated multiplayer servers, nothing like that.

At the end of the day the core CPU doesn't undergo much of a jump on the Xbox One X compared to the original Xbox One so there isn't much in terms of "under the hood" improvements you can make to a game. It's like if you upgraded from an i5-6500 to an i5-6600K, it's not going to be making some incredible difference, so stuff like Destiny 2 is still 30fps because of the CPU but they were able to boost the resolution.

A small selection of games do have texture packs on Xbox One X and get enhancements that way. Some of the games with these nicer textures include Fallout 4, Rise of Tomb Raider, Middle Earth Shadow of War, and Quantum Break. It's not hugely common. I do believe some games do some more minor tweaks like how on PC you'll get benefits bumping some settings from "medium" or "high" to "ultra high", but I'm not sure how prevalent this is.