Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This one is pretty interesting too. I thought that Lethal Hits were like a crush counter thing but apparently different moves require different things to trigger a Lethal Hit.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/1035744954042073088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Brother Entropy posted:

that's a really drat good idea and i'm surprised it took this long for someone to do it

Fantasy Strike did it first

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ArcSys games usually have descriptions on some moves but not all. They range from very detailed to wrong or misleading

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just wait a couple days for some streamer to tell me what moves I should use.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Hobojim posted:

-- very helpful information --

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much for this, I'm going to sit down today and work on some of your examples. Again, thank you.

Edit: After some practice I definitely have a better feel for the timing of it all now with link combos, which is what I really couldn't do before (not intentionally at least). I'm definitely doing inputs more purposefully now, and less frantically.

Just hearing that you do the input of successive attacks during the stun from the initial attack made it click for me. I feel like I've probably seen that piece of advice plenty of times elsewhere but for whatever reason it's clicking now.

Just won a few casual matches in a row, which definitely wasn't happening before unless I was Ken.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 2, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't some VF games do that too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I found that mashing works in Sfv because of the built in input lag. But then I was a filthy Laura player so it's not as if I had to do anything complicated.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brother Entropy posted:

that's a really drat good idea and i'm surprised it took this long for someone to do it
The problem is essentially that the move's actual use may be very different from what the designers thought it'd be useful for, in which case the tooltip is gonna end up being misleading.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've always wondered if the original SC team originally intended for crybaby to just be a gimmicky taunt rather than a ridiculously good turtling move on an already insane character.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
YAAASSS LinkORZ taking today's SC6 tournament clean. :dance:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

Didn't some VF games do that too.

I can't remember, but games should steal VF4's combo lookup thing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chev posted:

The problem is essentially that the move's actual use may be very different from what the designers thought it'd be useful for, in which case the tooltip is gonna end up being misleading.

then they could change what the notes say to something more accurate in a patch

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the widespread implementation of notes like that could be really useful but the idea of someone thinking that moves can only be used for their listed purpose is really funny to me

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
What do people make of Blade Strangers? It's fairly cheap on Steam right now and looks fun from match videos at least. I know at least one guy itt bought it, at least. I already have UNIST before anyone tells me to get that instead. Just wanted to get the Goon Opinion before diving in on it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it looks like a fine simplified traditional fighter and people I know who have played it say it is fine, but it's got some issues(ToD combos in non-tag fighters is Not Good imo) and I'm pretty sure the online population is gonna be very small

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

This one is pretty interesting too. I thought that Lethal Hits were like a crush counter thing but apparently different moves require different things to trigger a Lethal Hit.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/1035744954042073088

Oh whoa, i didn't realize they were this weird

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BurningCourage posted:

What do people make of Blade Strangers? It's fairly cheap on Steam right now and looks fun from match videos at least. I know at least one guy itt bought it, at least. I already have UNIST before anyone tells me to get that instead. Just wanted to get the Goon Opinion before diving in on it.

i have it on switch and it's okay, it's accessible but pretty low rent and there's not really anything unique about it other than the roster having indie game chars. i would guess it'll be more popular than most poverty games because of the roster but still a big step below UNIST.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

sharrrk posted:

Oh whoa, i didn't realize they were this weird

This kind of owns in theory

One and a half more months...

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brother Entropy posted:

then they could change what the notes say to something more accurate in a patch
Scouring the net for that info (and it can be in pretty obscure places) and keeping up with an evolving meta for all characters is a gargantuan, specialized task and would require constant patching.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Has any game ever launched with a custom trials editor/sharer?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tales of Woe posted:

i have it on switch and it's okay, it's accessible but pretty low rent and there's not really anything unique about it other than the roster having indie game chars. i would guess it'll be more popular than most poverty games because of the roster but still a big step below UNIST.

This. Also the character rendering looks like a mistake but apparently that’s how they want it

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Are they actually sprites or 3d models run through a lovely filter, I can't tell

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

3d models. and they put a filter on to make them look like sprites that were scaled wrong. it’s like xrd but the complete opposite end of the effort/care spectrum

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

b_d posted:

3d models. and they put a filter on to make them look like sprites that were scaled wrong.

:psyduck:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I mean I don’t think that’s what they were going for, but it’s what they settled for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Big Shovel Knight is a disgrace.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kawase and Emiko are cool, though.

But yeah the game needs some antialiasing or downscaling or something.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 3, 2018

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I decided to at least give it a try for the couple of hours til I can refund it. Found the discord for it, basically gonna see if there's much of an EU presence, if not might as well just refund, doubt the netcode will hold up to cross-atlantic matchups. Helen seems like a cool character.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think big chad shovel knight with hyper manly japanese voice is very funny

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

b_d posted:

3d models. and they put a filter on to make them look like sprites that were scaled wrong.

tbh the style can work, and it *kind of* works at the intended resolution, but scaling it up at all kills it. Also it works better with some of the models more than others and most end up looking really bad instead of just kind of bad.

Shame too because the animation and art overall is really good, they just decided to render it awfully.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3SOE has descriptors for all or at least some of the moves, I can't remember if Marvel Origins/Darkstalkers Resurrection did the same.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shovel Not

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

Has any game ever launched with a custom trials editor/sharer?

Them's Fightin Herds did this, though I guess it's questionable if early access counts as a proper launch.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sade posted:

I want arcsys to make a shovel knight fighting game

well, you're in luck!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr81mmA_inA

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I assume he meant the GG team, not the BlayzBloo team.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

IronicDongz posted:

I think big chad shovel knight with hyper manly japanese voice is very funny

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

This is cool, but this isn't arcsys

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

put shovel knight in bbtag. put the x-men in there too

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Put everyone in BBTAG from every fighter ever. gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ultramega posted:

Put everyone in BBTAG from every fighter ever. gently caress it.

:yeah: