Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Anybody tried infusing alcohol with tea? They were selling some glass bottles with spices at the state fair but I figured I have enough tea here already. The instructions on the bottle said to pour in your alcohol of choice, let it sit for 15 minutes, then strain it. I’m kinda curious if Earl Grey vodka or whatever is actually any good.

I've played around with this a little. Generally speaking I find that rooibos works better than a black tea for a long-steep cold infusion. That may well be a function of the black teas I've tried (a Lapsang, an Earl Grey, and an English Breakfast blend), and it also may be a function of personal preference. But, I've found that rooibos tends to be more mellow and blend better with citrus flavors that I like to infuse at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've not tried it, but that seems like a good way to extract stuff you don't want. If I were going to do it, I'd probably just blend 200ml of 60% Vodka with 100ml of strong tea for 300ml of 40% Tea Vodka.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I had a chai spice whiskey and a black tea whiskey from a distillery in Colorado and they were both very nice. I'd probably want to do more research on alcohol extracables in tea before making my own. (That's surely a reason why rooibos worked better.)

These days I make the tea and then add alcohol to it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just buttchug it like normal people do OP.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Does anybody here ever actually throw booze in their tea? Hot tea, I mean? It just kind of dawned on me that I've only ever really seen or thought about hard iced teas.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Agrinja posted:

Does anybody here ever actually throw booze in their tea? Hot tea, I mean? It just kind of dawned on me that I've only ever really seen or thought about hard iced teas.

A malty Assam is great with a little Irish whisky. Rum works too.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Green tea supposedly infuses pretty well in gin.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sometimes I make a black tea toddy.. thing. Very strong black tea, honey, lemon, and whiskey. Good for soothing a sore throat, or just relaxing on a cold day.

There's a craft cocktail place nearby that does a fizzy earl grey cocktail with gin. No idea what their recipe is since they batch it out and put it on tap, but maybe I could bug one of the guys and find out..

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've seen a few Earl Grey beers around. Salt Spring Brewery did an IPA that I remember enjoying quite a bit.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Maybe some pu erh drinkers can advise me on this. I received as a sample from teavivre one of those ball shaped compressed tea spheres. I didn't realize it's rather large, between about 3/4 to one inch on diameter. Like one of them silicon pseudo testes rich people pay to get implanted in their neutered fancy breed dogs.

Do I simply dunk it without a strainer into an entire tea pot? Normally I drink 24 ounces for one session, but I'm not sure 24 ounces is enough or to much. I don't really trust recommended brewing methods as they seem to vary too much, you know. Maybe I should staple it into a coffee filter so it doesn't overstep, and have enough room to bloom.

Specifically it's the chrysanthemum black tea wad. https://m.teavivre.com/product/view/yunnan-chrysanthemum-dragon-ball-black-tea.html

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

value-brand cereal posted:

Maybe some pu erh drinkers can advise me on this. I received as a sample from teavivre one of those ball shaped compressed tea spheres. I didn't realize it's rather large, between about 3/4 to one inch on diameter. Like one of them silicon pseudo testes rich people pay to get implanted in their neutered fancy breed dogs.

Do I simply dunk it without a strainer into an entire tea pot? Normally I drink 24 ounces for one session, but I'm not sure 24 ounces is enough or to much. I don't really trust recommended brewing methods as they seem to vary too much, you know. Maybe I should staple it into a coffee filter so it doesn't overstep, and have enough room to bloom.

Specifically it's the chrysanthemum black tea wad. https://m.teavivre.com/product/view/yunnan-chrysanthemum-dragon-ball-black-tea.html

So you can just dunk it, but you'l be picking a bunch of tea leave out of your mouth if you do. What I usually do with one of those is put it in a strainer, briefly wash it with hot water to get the leaves to wake up (dunk it in a cup of hot water then pour that water away), then steep it as normal. Depending on the tea, you might want to steep it for as short as 30 seconds or as long as a few minutes. The cool thing is, however long you steep it, you keep those leaves and resteep them. They'll keep making tea and you'll develop the flavor profile of it as you go.

Enjoy!

EDIT:
Oh and 24 oz is a totally appropriate amount of tea to make with one of those. They're pretty flexible, and you could make anything from a single cup to a whole teapot with one.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'd actually recommend doing multiple steeps with 12 oz, maybe 1.5 min, 2 min, and 4 min. That's a lot of leaf to unfurl.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

if you have a basket strainer for your cup, use that and leave the ball in there. give it a quick rinse (5s), and then do steepings of 5s, which could last for 10-15 steepings or even more, depending on the quality of the tea. after the 5th steep, add 5-10 seconds each consecutive cup. and use boiling water each time.

not sure how the tea would come out with 24 ounces worth in one go.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hi tea thread. PYF tea cups/glasses/mugs preferably with links to buy them. I need more because standard big coffee mugs just don’t feel right for me.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I use a few moomin cups, which strikes a perfect balance of size for me.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

ulvir posted:

I use a few moomin cups, which strikes a perfect balance of size for me.

Ahh gently caress, now I'm gonna have to buy one of these for my husband for Christmas or something. He gets excited whenever we go to the Japanese supermarket because they have Moomin biscuits. :kimchi:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hi tea thread. PYF tea cups/glasses/mugs preferably with links to buy them. I need more because standard big coffee mugs just don’t feel right for me.

Sorry, I don't have any online recommendations because I usually use big freakin' coffee cups for my daily drinking. :shobon: I do have a plethora of dainty little cups, but I usually pick them up at thrift stores or various Asian grocery stores. Hell, I have an entire matching set of plates, bowls, sauce dishes, tea cups, and a tea pot from a Chinese corner store. I got my cute but cheap little gaiwan that will burn your fingers at a Vietnamese supermarket for something like $2. I have god only knows how many dishes from Japanese markets, and a few tea tins too. Might be worth checking out, if you have anything similar in the area. Daiso and Muji are good spots to check out too, if you have those nearby.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I don't know if I should :nws: this (weirdly expensive) teacup, but I can't not link this: https://thenakedleaf.ca/collections/tea-cups/products/copy-of-andrew-tarrent

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Stuporstar posted:

I don't know if I should :nws: this (weirdly expensive) teacup, but I can't not link this: https://thenakedleaf.ca/collections/tea-cups/products/copy-of-andrew-tarrent

I'd be in love if it wasn't dicks, that color scheme and shape kills.

Aside from getting into the gaiwan thing, a very been drinking a lot of "grandpa style" tea. Any advice for choosing a mug there? As is, it seems like it gets weak if I drink the cup too deeply, but most of my mugs are mug shaped. I wonder if a taller vessel would work better.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I use the Nordic clear glass mug from David's, with the infuser basket. David's teas aren't very good, but their teaware is quality.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I prefer simple teaware, usually white so that I can see the color of the tea clearly. Most of my current stuff I got at Daiso which is like a Japanese dollar store

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Agrinja posted:

Yes, a little bit of black rum or brandy goes nicely with black teas.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm going to have to try the rum.

I'm still hammering at oolongs, and I keep getting Ti Guan Yin in samples and all that. It's kind of remarkable to be because it's gradually gone from tasting like vegetable water to having what I would describe as a floral melon taste. I know palettes develop, but it's neat to see in action. Might be worth sticking with other "meh" teas of good quality, too.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Was in Prague a few weeks back and visited a tea house called tea mountain. Great shop! Bought with me some Taiwanese oolongs and Japanese black teas. Very nice and knowledgeable staff. Really worth the visit. Haven’t had the time to drink any of the stuff I bought back home yet though, but really looking forward to it.

Also, stumbled upon some tea cups I really liked at this antiques market I went to yesterday. Picked up the pair for 5$... Probably mass produced stuff made somewhere between the 60-90s? I reckon. Really like how they sit in their saucers and the 50ml size is perfect.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm feeling that teacup envy. That looks really nice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey bros. I just launched a website selling custom tea (and things that...) blends. Critique would be much appreciated.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 3, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Don't use a chili pepper as the icon for the "spicy" category if that category will also add warm/sweet spices such as cinnamon. Alternatively, split the categories into a "spice" one and a "hot" one, with the former containing cinnamon, cloves and cardamom etc.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Done

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Serious question, is it even possible to make a good tasting floral tea that is also spicy hot but not very spicy spicy?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Serious question, is it even possible to make a good tasting floral tea that is also spicy hot but not very spicy spicy?

You could use ginger? I'm not sure what you're trying to avoid when you say spicy spicy. Are you trying to avoid the hot pepper flavors or are you trying to avoid spices (cinnamon and the like)?

You could use a fruity/citrus hot pepper, but the problem being a lot of peppers loose that fruity/citrus flavor when dried. I could imagine a green tea base with some jasmine and habanero being floral and plenty hot. And then it depends if you consider ginger a spice like cinnamon, but I do like green tea with ginger and rose petals.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Years ago I had this sample from some online store of an Ali Shan that was processed as a red tea, and it had this amazing cinnamon spiciness up front but still retained subtle hints of its floral qualities. Anyway that's what I thought of when someone was asking for floral/spicy.

edit: oh I found it!

http://www.norbutea.com/AliShanRedOolong_50g_p/alishan_red17_50g.htm

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I mean spicy heat and not spicy cinnamon, cadmium, ginger. Dominoe's website offers that as an option for a custom blend.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

RandomPauI posted:

There is a chemical problem there - the spicy hot compounds of chili, black pepper or ginger are all oil-soluble and hydrophobic so you can't get a lot of them to pass into tea unless you add some kind of fat - so milk tea or butter tea, tibetan-style.
Maybe you can trick the process by using finely ground cayenne though - it's not really dissolved heat, but it'll float suspended in there.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 4, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Pyromancer posted:

There is a chemical problem there - the spicy hot compounds of chili, black pepper or ginger are all oil-soluble and hydrophobic so you can't get a lot of them to pass into tea unless you add some kind of fat - so milk tea or butter tea, tibetan-style.
Maybe you can trick the process by using finely ground cayenne though - it's not really dissolved heat, but it'll float suspended in there.

Infusing the spicy components into some milk and then drying it into powdered milk as an additive could be a thing, though at that point you're getting food sciency

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Agrinja posted:

I'm going to have to try the rum.

I'm still hammering at oolongs, and I keep getting Ti Guan Yin in samples and all that. It's kind of remarkable to be because it's gradually gone from tasting like vegetable water to having what I would describe as a floral melon taste. I know palettes develop, but it's neat to see in action. Might be worth sticking with other "meh" teas of good quality, too.

tie guan yin is a pretty big category and has a fairly wide range of flavor possibilities too

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Replaced coffee with tea at work. Just finished the two tuos of this cheap ripe puerh I had - 2017 Menghai DaYi V93. Not particularly impressed with it, but it's been an ok replacement for my coffee chugging.

Anyways, I'll have to order some more stuff, anyone got any recommendations for some cheaper puerh daily drinkers? Reckon I'll just order a bigger cake or two right away. Both ripe and raw are fine :)

I seem to remember someone recommending this one: https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2012-yunnan-sourcing-impression-raw-pu-erh-tea-cake

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Replaced coffee with tea at work. Just finished the two tuos of this cheap ripe puerh I had - 2017 Menghai DaYi V93. Not particularly impressed with it, but it's been an ok replacement for my coffee chugging.

Anyways, I'll have to order some more stuff, anyone got any recommendations for some cheaper puerh daily drinkers? Reckon I'll just order a bigger cake or two right away. Both ripe and raw are fine :)

I seem to remember someone recommending this one: https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2012-yunnan-sourcing-impression-raw-pu-erh-tea-cake

for ripe, 2017 Hui Run and 2018 Blue Label by YS are both really good and not too expensive. if Bitterleaf still has it, year of the rooster yiwu is a really good and fragrant young raw

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Great! Ordered the yiwu. Bookmarked the others for my next YS order!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

My two current daily drinkers are both from white2tea, the 2017 Lumber Slut ripe and a 2009 jingmai raw. The Lumber Slut's really smooth for a year old pressing, and really dense even for a ripe. The jingmai's got a fair amount of pleasant astringency but is really full bodied already for that age, and I much prefer it to similar 10 year budget aged raws I've had from the site, like the 07 Repave and the 08 Often.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Finally tried the Yunnan FOP sample that Upton threw in my order and it's pretty nice! Wish I could drink caffeinated tea all the time.

Have some decaf Ceylon but Ceylon isn't a particular favorite to begin with and why I stick to herbals if I can't have the real thing most of the time.

I think they make decaf green but I can't imagine it survives anywhere close to intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m rather new to this whole arcane “tea” thing but after trying some at a friends I want to have more of it so I’m gonna give it my own go. I do have a question after browsing this bread, though and I’ve heard conflicting things from people. When it comes to steeping tea is it better to steep in a teapot over a mug or does the flavor remain the same between the two? I’ve heard some people tell me there’s no difference between mug or pot steeping while others have told me that a teapot controls the heat during steeping better so it’s steep will come out better compared to a mug