Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

new elite dangerous faction leaders looking pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tfw you get caught fudging your metrics

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1036440746654683136

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How do vins work? What makes this fudging vs an error?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's like me doing pushups.

one, two, three, uhhh, eighty seven, eighty eight, oops, nine hundred ninety eight, nine hundred ninety nine, ten thousand!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Potato Salad posted:

How do vins work? What makes this fudging vs an error?

vins are a unique serial number, in theory they're more or less sequential off the line, or at least based off some internal system tied to production. bloomberg, assuming that, is using vins reported to them to assess tesla's production rates. tesla, knowing this, appears to be jumping huge numbers of vins so that bloomberg and anyone else reporting estimated production numbers based on vins massively over estimate the number of vehicles being produced.

i.e. despite two vehicles being numbered 35000 apart, both produced in august, there is a 0% chance they've actually been building 8750 model 3s a week. but bloomberg's system reports that they have

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the missing 35,000 cars are in a parking lot somewhere that warehouse the ark of the covenant is hidden in.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the only reason they'd have for doing that is to misrepresent-without-lying their manufacturing yield, because they can't actually build cars, but their stock value depends on them doing so.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I hope mr. Tesla goes to turbojail

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

I hope mr. Tesla goes to turbojail superchargejail

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do VINs have to be sequential or anything?

I’m only familiar with EUIs (MAC) for networking equipment but after the regional/manufacturer identifiers we could assign numbers in whatever way we wanted

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
predictable identifiers is a classic secfuck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

the only reason they'd have for doing that is to misrepresent-without-lying their manufacturing yield, because they can't actually build cars, but their stock value depends on them doing so.

i mean it’s musk so the paranoia based reason is likely correct but the normal inane reason would be a different batch or change in manufacturing technique or something so you can identify subtypes at a glance

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

do VINs have to be sequential or anything?

I’m only familiar with EUIs (MAC) for networking equipment but after the regional/manufacturer identifiers we could assign numbers in whatever way we wanted

afaik there's no requirement for them to be, that's just the way things are done. the issue being that places reporting on tesla's production capability are assuming this is the case, and tesla appears to be fudging that

either that or they're building 50% more vehicles than they've reported for their balls to the wall manufacturing death march and stuffing all of them into parking lots, to release them at random to consumers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean it’s musk so the paranoia based reason is likely correct but the normal inane reason would be a different batch or change in manufacturing technique or something so you can identify subtypes at a glance

they might also have batch identifiers or something like a jump between factory built and tent built, but they're doing it in an amazingly suspicious way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the funniest option is that they attempted 50% more cars but some were so hosed up that no amount of rework could make “factory gating”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

why in the hell would they not be sequential though (other than dishonesty)? just think if a reputable manufacturer needed to do a recall. “cars 100-250 all have x bad part”.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's okay because they ditched part tracking to prevent that guy from demonstrating that scrapped inventory was being pushed back into production. probably they don't know what vins have what parts

mystes
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

why in the hell would they not be sequential though (other than dishonesty)? just think if a reputable manufacturer needed to do a recall. “cars 100-250 all have x bad part”.
Aren't recalls usually more like "enter your vin number to see if you're affected, also if you're affected we're mailing the address the DMV has for you" anyway?

Also if they have a legitimate system such as each factory having a specific number and aren't just randomly jumping around, they still should probably be able to say "vins starting with xxxxx are affected" even if it isn't sequential.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

i could see how some sane production schemes wouldn't get you perfectly sequential stuff

like an actual car manufacturer with multiple production facilities for the same car lines has numbers 10,000 to 20,000 assigned for a given month across both plants, but they just start plant 2's numbers at 15,000 rather than try to keep them in perfect order you know

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fishmech posted:

i could see how some sane production schemes wouldn't get you perfectly sequential stuff

like an actual car manufacturer with multiple production facilities for the same car lines has numbers 10,000 to 20,000 assigned for a given month across both plants, but they just start plant 2's numbers at 15,000 rather than try to keep them in perfect order you know

That's what the first 11 letters/numbers in the vin are for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

with anyone else this probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows, but with tesla and the model 3, they have two lines, if you count the tent as a separate line

hobbesmaster posted:

the funniest option is that they attempted 50% more cars but some were so hosed up that no amount of rework could make “factory gating”

yeah this would be funnier

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

not that this is any specific format, but for something like this you’ll have a bunch of fields that identify country of manufacturer, manufacturer, model. the rest will be available for the manufacturer to do whatever. say there’s 3 bytes available for this. are you going to build 16million cars? no. so now you can use this for additional information

so for example you could encode week of year+plant within those 3 bytes you have. this would result in giant leaps each week and a lot of dead numbers. or you could encode a plant plus line revision. so every time you changed the line a number is incremented. stuff like that. Tesla is such a mess that if they did that it’d probably look random

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

Or VINs in order of preorder number would be a reasonable thing.

but nah they are just trying to trick people tracking production into reporting higher numbers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

increment by 1 every time we remove a weld

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

right, i get that different fields mean different things, but at some point I think it’s common to have a unique unit number. having that be sequential just seems like common sense. otherwise why do agencies look at that data to gauge output numbers?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol that would be the best. The missing vins would be showing exactly how bad their FPY is

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i don’t think mankind is ready for googolplex-long VINs.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
cant wait to see bazingas refusing to send back their recalled vehicles because they don't want to slow down the holy felon's efforts to save the world

he'll probably ask them not to and then not go to jail when people die

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Aren't recalls usually more like "enter your vin number to see if you're affected, also if you're affected we're mailing the address the DMV has for you" anyway?

i was thinking more for internal tracking purposes. again, this is in the context of a manufacturer who gives a gently caress/isn’t trying to actively deceive people tho.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hold on, did Elon say he was going to buy back TSLA stock at X price ....on Twitter....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don’t think it’s possible for them to recover at this point their debt is going to kill them. the time to have done this was like 3 years ago or whenever it was clear he was mismanaging the company with how the X launch went

that just means the shareholders will get wiped out and the bondholders will own tesla

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

George posted:

cant wait to see bazingas refusing to send back their recalled vehicles because they don't want to slow down the holy felon's efforts to save the world

he'll probably ask them not to and then not go to jail when people die

i remember when people did this with the note

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the funniest part of tesla's inevitable bankruptcy will be everyone who preordered getting wiped out as an unsecured creditor and getting nothing except maybe the right to buy a car at full price and to share in the proceeds of a lawsuit against musk and the entire board

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh, yeah. they’ll be waaaaaayyy down on the list.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

u know how if u have, like, a rare ferrari and it catches on fire or something, ferrari will take like a single bolt from it and rebuild the entire car w/ the same vin

u think musk is making like a single bolt and giving it the vin number of it's eventual car?

ol musky could make, like, 50,000 cars a week this way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poor musky, thought of QC and died

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Elon musk is dead :peanut:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

President Beep posted:

oh, yeah. they’ll be waaaaaayyy down on the list.

deposits up to $2850 get a preferred creditor status. but they are after secured creditors and administrative costs so they still are unlikely to get much.

buuuuuuut someone posted the agreement that they have to sign when giving Tesla money and it looked like Tesla was trying to legal ninja their way around calling the deposit an actual deposit and instead treat it as payment for the costs involved in assigning a VIN or some such bullshit. if that held then there is approximately zero chance they get a dime back.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

Elon musk is dead :peanut:

🧛‍♀️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

buuuuuuut someone posted the agreement that they have to sign when giving Tesla money and it looked like Tesla was trying to legal ninja their way around calling the deposit an actual deposit and instead treat it as payment for the costs involved in assigning a VIN or some such bullshit.
How stupid would someone have to be to agree to that?!