Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Doesn't the Sistine Chapel ceiling also have a depiction of the then current pope getting bit in the crotch by a snake, or I am I thinking of a different fresco?

Yes, and it also contains an image of an angel giving the olden times version of flipping the bird directly at the seat the then-current pope would be sitting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

As the hiring manager at Riot Games LLC, it gives me great pleasure going into work every day to take every job application from a man and fold it into a paper airplane I personally lodge in Ryze's hair

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wanna fuckin scissor kick moviebob every time I see him tweet

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jimquisition - Ubisoft forces customers to use pivot tables just to know what they get from buying which edition of the game combined with which DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y20BNKG9Gx4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
BoogieNumbers is a very bad and awful person and I look forward longingly to the day when I never have to hear about him ever again.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Doesn't the Sistine Chapel ceiling also have a depiction of the then current pope getting bit in the crotch by a snake, or I am I thinking of a different fresco?

EDIT: I was thinking of The Last Judgement, and it was Biagio Da Cesena, who was the master of ceremonies to the Pope.

Who decried his pics as not being worthy of being on a church due to all of the bad nudity where people were comfy on their skin unlike the wholesome nudity that involves Jesus being super frail and being in pain, among other things, for being exposed. I believe donkey ears guy also shows up on the Sistine Chapel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

The only similarity that I think could be drawn between the Sistine Chapel and Infinity War is that neither of the parties who worked on it actually wanted to.

The Riot Games panel thing hasn't exactly gone over well with other either, though. There was this exchange with one of Riot's employees.

https://twitter.com/NightZora/status/1035745482947973121

I also saw it pointed out that this is coming a month after a Kotaku article in which an ex-employee says that Riot was a pretty sexist workplace.

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483

EDIT: and yes, I know I'm posting Twitter stuff again

wow, riot was a sexist shithole, thats weirdly not surpirsing at all. also holy gently caress bob, i love how he acts like he is this galaxy brained intellectual and then he says stupid poo poo like that and 100% believes it.

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: I was thinking of The Last Judgement, and it was Biagio Da Cesena, who was the master of ceremonies to the Pope.

its also just as homoerotic. i mean every figure in his paintings were giant Hulk people, including the women. nothing wrong with that, i just find it funny.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I wanna fuckin scissor kick moviebob every time I see him tweet

:emptyquote:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bob and Boogie were arguing the toss on Twitter :D

EDIT: Tbh it's not worth the impression gained from a link

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jimquisition - Ubisoft forces customers to use pivot tables just to know what they get from buying which edition of the game combined with which DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y20BNKG9Gx4

Plus they appear to be charging for inventory space like a lot of the free to play MMOs do.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Grapplejack posted:

Ds2 looks infinitely better now that ds3 came out.

i just started it and it seems good so far! Does it get bad?

How is it that liking the souls games makes me the contrarian among souls fans

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hbomberguy posted:

I dunno I thought it was pretty great but people suddenly decided it was bad while I wasn’t looking :shrug:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm still amused that poise was literally just a switch away from being a thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

The main problem with 3 is that is has vast swathes of essentially recycled content from earlier games. It's basically Dark Souls: Greatest Hits.

EDIT: \/ not really? The entire game is built around callbacks to previous entries for story and theme reasons.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 4, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that's kinda a vast exaggeration

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

The main problem with 3 is that is has vast swathes of essentially recycled content from earlier games. It's basically Dark Souls: Greatest Hits.

Yea it's a perfectly fine game but A) I like playing armored dudes so the whole 'speed is king' thing was annoying, and B) it was disappointing that it was one huge 'hey...remember this stuff? It's like that!' tour when they could have really gone for new stuff for the new gen and all.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mokinokaro posted:

That's not remotely true. The only "recycled" content was Anor Londo and Earthen Peak and each place was different than their original incarnations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hbomberguy posted:

People who whined 2 wasn’t just 1 then pivoted to 3 is to much like 1.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The derivative feeling isn't solely the setting but the characters: there's Siegmeyer, a lame Lautrec, Vinland and Astraea, the same Andre, though oddly no Solaire counterpart.

The faster pace coupled with the two recurring area types, citadels and swamps, made the world feel short and linear. The halfway point is when you reach Irithyll for the first time, which hardly feels like a long or difficult journey until that point.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I like the Dark Souls games because each of them has a distinct gamefeel from the way the games approach both combat and the world, but as a result the sequels don't quite feel like refinements of the original, which is something I would like to exist, at some point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The thing that turned me off from Dark Souls 2 was that I didn't like how the swordplay felt. There's a really weird stickiness to it is how I guess I would describe it, but that might just be me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think it's at least partially the sound design. Weapon sounds are really flat and lifeless in 2.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

for me, my issue with 2 was that the game never truly felt challenging to me compared to the other 2, but in some ways, it did help the game feel empowering, which is nice.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, I just can't stand 2 because of its mechanics and world just not sitting right with me. 1 I can at least appreciate from a speedrunning and gamebreaking perspective since it's so easy to just snap it in half, and 3 I appreciate for its speed, weapons, and a handful of really good bosses.

That said though if I'm gonna play a FromSoft game past the PS2 era, I'm just gonna boot up Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wow, riot was a sexist shithole, thats weirdly not surpirsing at all. also holy gently caress bob, i love how he acts like he is this galaxy brained intellectual and then he says stupid poo poo like that and 100% believes it.

its also just as homoerotic. i mean every figure in his paintings were giant Hulk people, including the women. nothing wrong with that, i just find it funny.

IIRC, a bunch of female Renaissance sculptures and paintings were literally men with boobs, because it was somewhat easier for artists to find male models due to modesty standards at the time. That said, there was no guarantee that the gender of the model would affect the masculinity/femininity of the artwork - some folks just painted/sculpted really curvy dudes and really swole women. An additional complicating factor came from certain religious tendencies, who saw the male body as God’s perfect original and the female body as a tragically flawed spin-off (because Eve was born from Adam’s rib and tempted him to commit the first sin). In other words, masculinity was beautiful because it was godly.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 4, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Annointed posted:

I'm still amused that poise was literally just a switch away from being a thing.

People misinterpreted that, that variable turns on when you're doing the specific moves that get poise. Poise works, it just only applies to the heaviest poo poo and when you're using one of the weapon arts that gives you a poise buff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, a bunch of female Renaissance sculptures and paintings were literally men with boobs, because it was somewhat easier for artists to find male models due to modesty standards at the time. That said, there was no guarantee that the gender of the model would affect the masculinity/femininity of the artwork - some folks just painted/sculpted really curvy dudes and really swole women. An additional complicating factor came from certain religious tendencies, who saw the male body as God’s perfect original and the female body as a tragically flawed spin-off (because Eve was born from Adam’s rib and tempted him to commit the first sin). In other words, masculinity was beautiful because it was godly.

very true. its fascinating subject when you dig into it. i am sad i only took one art history course in college(it was amazing). i was just making fun of that moron comparing alright cash blockbusters based on comics to classical art and being better because "the dumb church"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dark Souls 3, better known as "Door Does Not Open From This Side: the Video Game"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
The Something Awful Forums > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Personality + Review Thread: The Dark Souls of Derails

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/1036770270093213696?s=21

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mechanically, I'm not a fan of how Dark Souls 3 feels a lot like a half-step between Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Your character IS faster and there's some real neat and stylish things you can do, but it's most noticeable in the enemies and bosses, especially once you get to Irithyll. The most annoying thing is how some enemies seem to have unlimited stamina, combined with the way poise mechanics work in 3. Plus I've gotten extremely tired of the constant ramping of boss health in these games. Bloodborne got a pass because it was balanced differently and there were ample opportunities for critical attacks.

Narratively I preferred the distance to DS1 that DS2 had (except the parts in 2 where characters keep talking about kingdoms long past to make you ask yourself if this is Lordran). 3 is very referential to 1 but I was never particularly satisfied with how that articulated. As another person mentioned, you have characters who are obvious references to the previous entries, and the only one that I felt worked better than the original was Hawkwood. To be fair, 2 didn't have a lot of great NPCs, either. There was Lucatiel and I, personally, dug how much of a blatant dipshit Licia was. And Ornifex is just neato. Scholar does a lot more by having NPC summons who are neat characters without having actual plotlines. I've rarely had actual human summons who were as fun as Bashful Ray in Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Personality + Review Thread: The Dark Souls of Derails

Press X To Push

"The door does not budge. PULL is written in ancient runes on the door."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked all the Souls games though 2 is my least favorite. Bloodborne is god-tier good, however. Nothing Dark Souls did ever reached the heights of Bloodborne. I'm curious to see what they do with Sekiro. It does look pretty rad but some bigger enemies just look like damage sponges. It's really hard to tell whenever the press play these games because as a requirement to be part of the enthusiast press you have to be the absolute worse at video games.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I liked all the Souls games though 2 is my least favorite. Bloodborne is god-tier good, however. Nothing Dark Souls did ever reached the heights of Bloodborne. I'm curious to see what they do with Sekiro. It does look pretty rad but some bigger enemies just look like damage sponges. It's really hard to tell whenever the press play these games because as a requirement to be part of the enthusiast press you have to be the absolute worse at video games.

Since some of the first actual footage of Sekiro I've been getting major Revengeance vibes from it. At this point my dream of a Properly Financed Revengeance 2 is thoroughly crushed so I hope Sekiro can actually capture a glimmer of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, the classic Boogie centrist hot take, where he says some aggressively dumb "but what about us *good* men????" poo poo and then acts victimized when people are like "lol this is a dumb and bad take" so that he can bask in the "you're such a nice guy" tweets from his fans

At this point I think it's what he lives for.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe one day he'll come to the realization that being a "good guy" means when folks talk about this sort of thing, they are happy that people who are under-represented get a chance to be part of the discourse and step aside. It means that you realize that you don't need to be part of the discussion.

Of course, openly saying that means he'll most likely lose his youtube audience.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Boogie's an expert at emotional manipulation and his army of followers line up to shield him from any and all attacks, no matter how deserved because he's just such a nice guy why are you picking on him maybe you are the real nazi here hmm.

He doesn't bother debating if he feels the other person isn't an easy mark and makes tweets like "Send me memes guys for good vibes", he's just a classic coward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boogie released a very candied look into his thought process while making these statements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNpD79lBx0

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jimbot posted:

It's that time again! Everyone's favorite fence-sitting one-step away from being a MAGA chud said something incredibly :psyduck:.

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1036670361968889856

Neutron stars aren't as hot as that take.

how does this fuckin moron not drown himself when he tries to take a fuckin shower jesus christ he's dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
At this point boogie is just a heaping mound of sentient biological poo poo given a platform, who only exists to defend the status quo and I have no idea how people can defend him when he's got all the hallmarks of an emotional abuser.

He's an apologist for institutional discrimination who is more upset at people protesting against it then those who perpetuate it.

He's an oxygen thief and he's a net drain on society

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 4, 2018