Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/InsideEdition/status/1035972988980670464

https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost/status/1035580736827535360

The story gets weirder

quote:

A vast medley of rare insects and lizards worth more than $40,000, including a venomous, six-eyed spider, are missing from the Philadelphia Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion.

Police and pavilion staff suspect the robbery was an inside job, The New York Times reported, as security footage reveals people in the museum last week holding plastic containers containing some of the missing insects.Overall, around 7,000 animals – that's approximately 80 to 90 percent of the insectarium's population – have been stolen.

The robbery took place Wednesday, Aug. 22, but it's likely that the thieves continued to take insects throughout the week. Once the robbery was discovered, staff found two blue employee shirts stuck to the wall with knives.

To make things even more difficult, they also stole the logs kept by staff to keep insect information organized, so it's harder to estimate exactly how many, and which insects have been taken.
Some insects, including a Mexican fire
leg tarantula, have been returned by police.

A six-eyed sand spider, one of the most venomous in the world, however, is still missing. 

Another disturbing robbery: Thousands and thousands of cockroaches. As if there weren't enough already, the thieves took many cockroach colonies, each of which contains thousands of roaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

No kidding. Were the shirts from existing employees as a threat, from the inside man as a final middle finger?

And how do you fence a cockroach colony? Is there a black market for those things or is some a Romanian Zoo suddenly going to open a roach petting zoo?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Those insects are worth more than me

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Those insects are worth more than me

As in like a net worth type of deal or your value to society?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Honestly, both.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Reminds me of a story I heard on NPR recently about someone who burgled a museum to get rare feathers for fly fishing lures. There's an entire community that makes them as they're described in books from the 1800s or whatever and a lot of the materials those recipes call for are from species that are now protected.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

Reminds me of a story I heard on NPR recently about someone who burgled a museum to get rare feathers for fly fishing lures. There's an entire community that makes them as they're described in books from the 1800s or whatever and a lot of the materials those recipes call for are from species that are now protected.

My clever plan to avoid breaking the law is to commit felony burglary.

Fishing people are weird.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

This one? Because yeah, that's quite a story.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/WhySharksMatter/status/1036044652820877313

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bears are usually very polite in Canada, obviously.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

The MSJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FAACK U, BERR

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/KXAN_News/status/988418237367975936

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Do not be fooled, nature! This man is just taking part in an ongoing dark ritual to obtain your powers!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

The MSJ posted:

Do not be fooled, nature! This man is just taking part in an ongoing dark ritual to obtain your powers!

Animorphs are real, and their existence is hell.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan/status/1036398238478168064

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
This is dumb, but I liked how it got cropped. :mmmhmm:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

artsy fartsy posted:

This is dumb, but I liked how it got cropped. :mmmhmm:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

doobie no

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The MSJ posted:

Meanwhile, in America.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0

I believe this man has cancer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wasn't there some dude in FL that had been bitten by a snake, shark, punched by a monkey, and struck by lightning? (not at the same time, which would be :black101: as gently caress)

I wonder if they're related.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Wasn't there some dude in FL that had been bitten by a snake, shark, punched by a monkey, and struck by lightning?

You're going to need to be more specific.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You're going to need to be more specific.

Found it

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=26336838

Best part:

quote:

The New York Daily News also reports that he was attacked by monkeys twice, once because he wandered too close to a simian while in the Amazon. The second time was the result of a joke, of sorts, played by his wife.

She locked Norrie in a cage with a small monkey, which then proceeded to bite, hit and pelt him with his own keys. His wife, Spryng, wasn't worried, though.

"She took photos and giggled," he said.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

True love is locking your partner into a confined space for extended periods of time

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"Spryng" :confused:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Could also have been Wyntr, Sumyr, or Fll

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Spryng.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

https://youtu.be/dIfZKdZEJNQ

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Florida Man's origin story seems needlessly complex.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
He was bitten by a radioactive Florida, that's all you need to know. Everything else is retcon.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I saw that movie! The best part was when Buster Keaton started kicking Chester Conklin in the rear end and lit his helmet on fire.

~~~only 1910s kids will know what this means~~~

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Clearly this man is delicious.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bude supermarket tunnel tops TripAdvisor ratings at Cornish seaside resort

quote:

The 70-metre long structure has attracted 149 "excellent" reviews describing it as the town's "crowning jewel" and "a modern Taj Mahal" that warrants a place as one of the seven wonders of the world.

Other visitors have praised its "handcrafted Cornish Perspex", its panoramic views, and its proximity to shops, parking and a cash machine.

"On visiting Bude this summer we must have picked the only rainy day so we popped in to the supermarket picked up some pasties got our holding chairs out of the car and set up a picnic in the tunnel and at one point the sun came out and created a wonderful rainbow though the roof," said one reviewer who gave it the top rating.

It has even been described as a "great place for a divorce" by a user known only as Anne, who wrote: "The walk back through the elongated tunnel felt like the first step towards freedom from Steven and his massive collection of recorders."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

loving "Recorder" Steven, I tell you what.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Holy poo poo, I was expecting some massive vaulted cathedral of glass and steel, arched over a roadway between ancient structures built from hand carved stone.

Not some rear end ugly plastic tube in a parking lot.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Handcrafted Cornish Perspex" is a gloriously silly phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
U.S. Open Fan Who Dunked Chicken Tender Into Soda: "People Are Telling Me I Should Go To Jail"