Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It's really sad that the MYC Finals and NXT Women's Title matches are potentially going to be the only great matches on the card. I put them in spoiler tags for safety but still. The "developmental" brand dunking hard on the main roster (on the same show!) is going to be a sight to behold.

MYC Finals: Toni Storm vs Io Shirai

NXT Women's Championship: It seems like the direction is Kairi Sane vs Shayna Baszler IV, if the latest set of tapings is anything to go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have to be having the current people going over in those matches.

Maybe one or two they can get away with gimmick finishes, interference or whatever to have the "legend" win. But you can't, even if you're the WWE, be dumb enough to have the past go over the present with their evolution/ revolution narratives.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if there are two great matches on evolution then that's the same as all in and everyone loved that show

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not even sure I understand Alexa vs Trish. Like, I get that other stuff but is Alexa Bliss really getting SUCH a hard push that you pull Trish Stratus out of retirement to put her over? Does that even accomplish anything that putting her over the entire division doesn't?

Like in that match I'd almost prefer to have Trish go over so Alexa gets her comeuppance. That seems more natural for the character.

But I'm not watching RAW so I have no idea what the setup for that is.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Matches like Alexa/Trish are there to appeal to casuals, while the MYC finals and NXT women's title match will appeal to hardcore fans.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not even sure I understand Alexa vs Trish. Like, I get that other stuff but is Alexa Bliss really getting SUCH a hard push that you pull Trish Stratus out of retirement to put her over? Does that even accomplish anything that putting her over the entire division doesn't?

Like in that match I'd almost prefer to have Trish go over so Alexa gets her comeuppance. That seems more natural for the character.

Trish is 100% going over Alexa.

Alexa is just going to be One Of The Rest now that they have an ex-MMA part-timer as champ in the womens division. The only thing that beats that is Attitude Era nostalgia person.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

STAC Goat posted:

She will likely be out of the title picture after her mandatory rematch, so they'll give her something to satiate her insane fans. Honestly I think Ronda winning the title will keep Alexa out of the title hunt for awhile after Hell in a Cell. That being said, its most likely a temporary reprieve, because they'll just move Alexa to Smackdown during the next Shakeup and win the Smackdown title at the PPV following the Shakeup. Or they'll keep her on RAW and have her win it from Charlotte or something.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I got no problems with Trish vs Alexa.

When they said 50 women would be on this show, I assume most of that was in some legends battle royal or something.

My main concern is Toni Storm's injury. I know the PPV is a bit away, but I hope she's 100% by then. That should be the best thing on the show by miles.

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 3, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

Matches like Alexa/Trish are there to appeal to casuals, while the MYC finals and NXT women's title match will appeal to hardcore fans.

Why not just run a show with all of your current roster and appeal to both?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Because then they'd have to struggle even with NXT additions to make their "50 women on the show" promise

Also they think the Bellas are major draws for casuals, and they've always thought old talent who are part-time here at best are what casuals miss

People who wanted the company treating the women like the men, you've got your wish

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And a finger on the monkey's paw curls.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

They don't have any current roster who appeal to casuals, because they don't have casual fans anymore.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

It's really sad that the MYC Finals and NXT Women's Title matches are potentially going to be the only great matches on the card. I put them in spoiler tags for safety but still. The "developmental" brand dunking hard on the main roster (on the same show!) is going to be a sight to behold.

MYC Finals: Toni Storm vs Io Shirai

NXT Women's Championship: It seems like the direction is Kairi Sane vs Shayna Baszler IV, if the latest set of tapings is anything to go by.

The funny part is going to be when both of these are on the Preshow

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I look forward to the battle royal made up of the majority of active roster wrestlers.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I don't mind Trish and Nikki, but I refuse to act like Brie, Maryse and Melina were ever any good and did anything but contribute to why women's wresting in America has to dig out of the damage WWE did.

Cory Lidle fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 4, 2018

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
After seeing the Bellas tonight, I think it's probably safe to preemptively nominate several Evolution matches for WMOTY

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Midnightghoul posted:

After seeing the Bellas tonight, I think it's probably safe to preemptively nominate several Evolution matches for WMOTY

Nikki looked fine. Brie looked like Brie.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Aphrodite posted:

They don't have any current roster who appeal to casuals, because they don't have casual fans anymore.

I wonder if you mean looks when you talk about the talent appealing to casuals. What appeals to casual fans?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not like that, I mean other than Ronda they don’t have any marquee women right now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

Not like that, I mean other than Ronda they don’t have any marquee women right now.

If only they had a woman with a two year plus unbeaten streak that everyone loved. It's a shame there isn't one of those kicking around anywhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They need some more mainstream attention to build someone up.

Maybe a magazine cover or something.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Out of the names they announced who is actually going to get casual fans to show up? The Bellas are the only ones who make sense. The rest might appeal to lapsed fans but they don't really need that nostalgia pull unless they have zero faith on the current women's roster to be able to pull in a ppv crowd like the normal shows do.

I guess I just answered my own question as to why they don't just use the existing women and book good stories for them.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Geez, you want the women to be given normal match time AND have storylines that makes any sense? Talk about giving a mouse a cookie.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

a bitchin jetski posted:

The Bellas, Trish and Melina have no business being there.

It's the first all womens PPV in WWE so you bring in a bunch of retired/semi-retired people to bury the current talent? No wonder the thing is barely shifting tickets. No one watching WWE for the womens matches in 2018 wants to see that.

it's about creating Moments™ that the WWE Universe™ will remember forever, silly

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Aphrodite posted:

That's completely their own fault though.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Just randomly watching highlights of HZK vs Momo from 7/18 and Momo vs Io and HZK vs Io and...Momo and HZK are the future co-aces of Stardom, right?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

Just randomly watching highlights of HZK vs Momo from 7/18 and Momo vs Io and HZK vs Io and...Momo and HZK are the future co-aces of Stardom, right?

Momo is pretty much the ace right now. HZK wasn't named as one of the four pillars of STARDOM going forward, so we'll see. For reference, Rossy claimed he would be building STARDOM around four performers in particular: Jungle Kyona, Momo Watanabe, Mayu Iwatani, and Kagetsu.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

DarkstarIV posted:

Momo is pretty much the ace right now. HZK wasn't named as one of the four pillars of STARDOM going forward, so we'll see. For reference, Rossy claimed he would be building STARDOM around four performers in particular: Jungle Kyona, Momo Watanabe, Mayu Iwatani, and Kagetsu.

Best of the best right there. Glad to hear it! I just started watching STARDOM and really enjoy everyone's high level of skill and animated passion resulting in almost always enjoyable (if not awesome) matches. Hazuki is up there. I also REALLY liked AZM against Natsu (the best heel) from 9/1's event. She's only 16 I think and she already shows a lot of charisma while her moves look crisp and having Momo in her corner helps elevate her image quite a bit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

Momo is definitely a pillar and kicks a lot of rear end. She's really good but occasionally gets a few "ok I'm winning now" finishes.

HZK is Hazuki now and also kicks a lot of rear end but isn't slated for Acedom like Momo is. She's acting as a replacement for Hana in Oedo Tai while Hana is out swearing and drinking in mexico. I'm a huge fan of her stuff, moreso than Momo's.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MaeYoungClassic/status/1037369942910427137

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This looks like a squash episode.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

still laughing they couldn't get Zatara's twitter account when cubsfan found it in like 20 minutes,

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

still laughing they couldn't get Zatara's twitter account when cubsfan found it in like 20 minutes,

I think it was because Zatara had some questionable stuff on it?

Anyways, Hana Kimura is back in Japan, but don't expect her to remain around for long. She's apparently leaving again soon to head overseas to England and Spain for more shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

I think it was because Zatara had some questionable stuff on it?

Anyways, Hana Kimura is back in Japan, but don't expect her to remain around for long. She's apparently leaving again soon to head overseas to England and Spain for more shows.

I flipped through her twitter and didn't see anything terrible? She wrestles under multiple names so I dunno.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

This looks like a squash episode.

There's some good matches on this episode. Def worth watching.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm down with Lady Pete Dunne.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
MJ Jenkins has a lot of charisma and good basics, she's going to be great some day

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I'm down with Lady Pete Dunne.

That's exactly who I thought of when I was looking at Rhea.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Sorry for doubleposting but Cole saying "Meiko Time" and marking out ..feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I wasn't all that impressed with Killer Kelly during the UK tournament, but this was a way better showing.