Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So no one's gonna point out how ludicrous it is to criticize ep 5 or 6 for their visual style or cinematography when we have every Star Wars directed by George Lucas to set a low bar lower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ammanas posted:

So no one's gonna point out how ludicrous it is to criticize ep 5 or 6 for their visual style or cinematography when we have every Star Wars directed by George Lucas to set a low bar lower?
Who said anything about Episode 5?

All four Lucas-directed films have great cinematography. Episode 5 is better, while Episode 6 is far worse.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't remember if it was a SomethingAwful/SMG post or an article but someone did a long and wonderful breakdown comparison of the cinematography of ESB and ROJ.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Szmitten posted:

I don't remember if it was a SomethingAwful/SMG post or an article but someone did a long and wonderful breakdown comparison of the cinematography of ESB and ROJ.

https://forums.superherohype.com/threads/comparing-the-cinematography-of-the-empire-strikes-back-to-return-of-the-jedi.262012/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Anyway, as promised, here are some semi-random shots from the first two minutes of Caravan Of Courage.
The context is that these two parents are searching for their missing daughter:

This is already more dramatic than anything in Return Of The Jedi. The director is getting an insane amount of use out of those flashlights with the fog machine.

Now here's a scene in pretty much the same setting in Episode 6. Luke is having a fairly tense conversation with his monstrous father:

I deliberately picked a scene with a laser sword, to compare against the flashlights.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Did anyone else look at that off-site post about esb vs rotj cinematography?

The rotj death star hangar scene close-ups of Vader look pretty good imo. But agree that the wide shots suck. And the sand skiff lineup isn't so bad; it's evocative of old sword-and-sandal epics. The establishing shot of Vader and Luke approaching the emperor's throne may not be as well-lit as it could've been, but it's still an awesome shot.

The esb carbonite chamber scene isn't bad, but i think it's a little bit cluttered and not as dynamic as it's made out to be. Although that stands in contrast to how effective the same set was for the Vader scene.

Other than those, I'm in agreement with the poster's frame comparisons. The Hoth base interior establishing shots are especially impressive to me; it's really hard to do such good work with a cluttered interior scene shot on an ultra-wide lens.

I remember having dreams that looked like scenes from esb after I saw it when I was a kid. It's really a very visually striking movie. I think its visual design and cinematography are up there with blade runner, alien, and 2001.

The prequels? For a trilogy made by the same director working the same way with similar tools for each film, it's kind of uneven. The 'jedi action' scenes (trade federation ship interior, tatooine escape, and Darth maul confrontation) of tpm are great. Most of rots is ok; not inspired, but you can tell they made a lot of effort to work with directional lighting and camera movements to integrate the physical elements (like the actors) with the mostly-digital environments. But aotc is imo by far the best of the three. Everything from the foggy opening scene with the exploding ship on coruscent to the coliseum fight/battle of genosis is great. Although the padme apartment scenes and subsequent chase are probably the weakest and most by-the-numbers sequences in the film, in terms of how they were shot. But the battle of genosis and confrontation with dooku, with the racking focus between the gunships and lightsaber-illuminated fight in the grotto, were admirable. And please remember, I'm just talking about the camera work, lighting, and set design, not the characters, story, script, etc.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 2, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

All I can remember from the prequels are endless flat shot/reverse shot sequences or perfectly flat tracking shots.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kidkissinger posted:

All I can remember from the prequels are endless flat shot/reverse shot sequences or perfectly flat tracking shots.

Challenge: name another movie in history of cinema where you noticed and/or got upset about shots followed by reverse shots.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also the, like, Defining Thing about og star wars as a work of film is lucas' static camera work and how he uses it to emphasize the infinite sight lines he builds his compositions around

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only thing you need to look at to see how horrible RotJ's cinematography is, compared to Empire's, is how Dagobah is shot.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ungulateman posted:

also the, like, Defining Thing about og star wars as a work of film is lucas' static camera work and how he uses it to emphasize the infinite sight lines he builds his compositions around

He also films his action scenes way different than modern Hollywood (In a good way). You always know where everything is, where it's going, and how it works out. The ANH Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight may have been underwhelming because it's a geriatric and a man blinded by a hundred pounds of PVC armor, but the way it's shot still makes it exiting. And that's all before the spaceship bits, which he still hasn't been topped in.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Challenge: name another movie in history of cinema where you noticed and/or got upset about shots followed by reverse shots.

It was the "completely flat" part that bothered me hth

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kidkissinger posted:

It was the "completely flat" part that bothered me hth

What does that mean

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Did anyone else look at that off-site post about esb vs rotj cinematography?

The rotj death star hangar scene close-ups of Vader look pretty good imo. But agree that the wide shots suck. And the sand skiff lineup isn't so bad; it's evocative of old sword-and-sandal epics. The establishing shot of Vader and Luke approaching the emperor's throne may not be as well-lit as it could've been, but it's still an awesome shot.

The esb carbonite chamber scene isn't bad, but i think it's a little bit cluttered and not as dynamic as it's made out to be. Although that stands in contrast to how effective the same set was for the Vader scene.

Other than those, I'm in agreement with the poster's frame comparisons. The Hoth base interior establishing shots are especially impressive to me; it's really hard to do such good work with a cluttered interior scene shot on an ultra-wide lens.

I remember having dreams that looked like scenes from esb after I saw it when I was a kid. It's really a very visually striking movie. I think its visual design and cinematography are up there with blade runner, alien, and 2001.

The prequels? For a trilogy made by the same director working the same way with similar tools for each film, it's kind of uneven. The 'jedi action' scenes (trade federation ship interior, tatooine escape, and Darth maul confrontation) of tpm are great. Most of rots is ok; not inspired, but you can tell they made a lot of effort to work with directional lighting and camera movements to integrate the physical elements (like the actors) with the mostly-digital environments. But aotc is imo by far the best of the three. Everything from the foggy opening scene with the exploding ship on coruscent to the coliseum fight/battle of genosis is great. Although the padme apartment scenes and subsequent chase are probably the weakest and most by-the-numbers sequences in the film, in terms of how they were shot. But the battle of genosis and confrontation with dooku, with the racking focus between the gunships and lightsaber-illuminated fight in the grotto, were admirable. And please remember, I'm just talking about the camera work, lighting, and set design, not the characters, story, script, etc.

A lot of the Jedi shots are notable for how totally they waste great sets. Why is that hangar scene so close up when they’ve got like 9000 stormtrooper extras and a great color scheme? Why does the cool as poo poo Jabba’s opium den set look like a brown PowerPoint slide half the time?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Most of the stormtroopers in the hangar scene were part of a matte painting. There's about 50 officers (because they're harder to paint realistically than faceless guys in armour), and maybe ten real troopers on the front row where Sheev and his guards walk past them. Everyone else is painted.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

Most of the stormtroopers in the hangar scene were part of a matte painting. There's about 50 officers (because they're harder to paint realistically than faceless guys in armour), and maybe ten real troopers on the front row where Sheev and his guards walk past them. Everyone else is painted.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Payndz posted:

It really cannot be understated how loving incredible the matte paintings are in star wars and how effectively they are (usually) employed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is the ship a painting or a model there?

Either way obviously they could set that other shot up better, just look at this one

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DeimosRising posted:

Is the ship a painting or a model there?
Painting I think, partly because it's completely static in the shot. I think the ramp and landing gear were actually on set though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 4, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Practical special effects at their finest. :allears:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darth TNT posted:

Practical special effects at their finest. :allears:

That’s an optical effect, not a practical effect.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

I like that they rolled out a probe droid to greet the Emperor.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Either way obviously they could set that other shot up better, just look at this one

They couldn't set up a shot like that because the actual set looked like this

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It really cannot be understated how loving incredible the matte paintings are in star wars and how effectively they are (usually) employed.

That one is great, as are many others, but holy poo poo can they go bad.

I can't overstate how much I hate this shot.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

That one is great, as are many others, but holy poo poo can they go bad.

I can't overstate how much I hate this shot.

I like the painting itself, but yeah they don't even try to get the lighting right as Lando walks away.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OctoberCountry posted:

I like the painting itself, but yeah they don't even try to get the lighting right as Lando walks away.

It's a difference in technique on top of the execution. That's a bluescreen shot, and bluescreen/rear-projection work in Return Of The Jedi is kinda uniformly crap.

The harsh bluish-white 'sunlight' on Han is blatantly coming in from the opposite direction as the sunlight hitting the Death Star.

Contrast with the similar shot from Episode 1, where the lighting is certainly not naturalistic (the 'sunlight' is still technically coming from the wrong direction) but it doesn't really matter because most of the light in the scene is coming from various ambient light sources inside the cockpit.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s an optical effect, not a practical effect.

I stand corrected. Optical effects at it's finest. :allears:

Probe droids are people too! It's good that one came to greet the emperor.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Maybe this is also a problem with the other movies, but when I watch Return of the Jedi I always notice that they had to flip a ton of shots to keep screen direction correct. Which is a weird issue, because that usually just happens with student films or people's first features.

It's pretty noticeable with Boba Fett and that scene with Lando in front of the Falcon because neither of their outfits are symmetrical.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was just thinking, that plot leak where Rey and Kylo have this secret love child is probably going to be borne out, isn't it? There's been a couple of other leaks and they match up so far, so the love child thing will probably be in it, won't it?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was just thinking, that plot leak where Rey and Kylo have this secret love child is probably going to be borne out, isn't it? There's been a couple of other leaks and they match up so far, so the love child thing will probably be in it, won't it?

That would be insane and I want them to go that way but I'm pretty sure they won't.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the love child thing sounds weird and unexpected and liable to piss people off

so naturally i'm insanely skeptical that disney would go along with it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brother Entropy posted:

the love child thing sounds weird and unexpected and liable to piss people off

so naturally i'm insanely skeptical that disney would go along with it

The last Jedi though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The dark, grody embrace of Reylo is the only way forward for star wars. Many have complained that the sequel trilogy lacked the weird sex vibes of the lucas era- well, prepare for course correction :unsmigghh:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last jedi pissed some people off but there's not really anything in there that's all that weird or surprising. all that's really unexpected is that it had no interest in building off speculation-heavy narrative hooks that TFA set up

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

No Mods No Masters posted:

The dark, grody embrace of Reylo is the only way forward for star wars. Many have complained that the sequel trilogy lacked the weird sex vibes of the lucas era- well, prepare for course correction :unsmigghh:

They'll gently caress that up too by making Kylo the aggressor when literally the only thing interesting about the relationship is that Rey is Dark Sided and Kylo is already totally submissive to her.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's all a stable timeloop. Somehow Rey will end up being Schmi in the past and thus Rey will give birth to Anakin.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wouldn't put too much stock in the secret lovechild leaks. Equally "reliable" leaks for TLJ had the plot being about how that tree with the books was a Magic Tree that straight up created the force with it's tree magic and gave it to a brother and sister who started the Sith and Jedi respectively.
And while I have no doubt J.J will publicly talk about "respecting and building off Johnson's work" I also bet he'll ignore it to do his own thing like he always does. And that includes Reylo which comes entirely from the non-Abrams TLJ.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

galagazombie posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in the secret lovechild leaks. Equally "reliable" leaks for TLJ had the plot being about how that tree with the books was a Magic Tree that straight up created the force with it's tree magic and gave it to a brother and sister who started the Sith and Jedi respectively.
And while I have no doubt J.J will publicly talk about "respecting and building off Johnson's work" I also bet he'll ignore it to do his own thing like he always does. And that includes Reylo which comes entirely from the non-Abrams TLJ.

Isn’t that bit from Clone Wars?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Clone Wars had a thing with a family who embodied the aspects of the force but nothing about them founding the Jedi and Sith or there being a magic tree. Though I bet it gave whoever made up the magic tree story the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Still banking on the Rey “You’re MY father!” reveal somehow.