Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Here is my dark souls hot take nobody asked for:

Demon Souls is the best one even though I never played it, I gotta get that gamercred tho.
Dark Souls is amazing, and I live vicariously though watching speedruns and gimmick runs.
Dark Souls 2 is my favorite due to the sheer amount of gameplay options and viable builds you could pull off, that said I usually just played dude-in-armor or stabby-rolly-man.
Dark Souls 3 is pretty cool, but im old and slow so the combat speed goes over my head at times.
The Sims 4 (The dark souls of character customisation) is pretty decent nowadays.
Bloodbourne is amazing, but it needs to come to the Switch since I don't own a playstation ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What's quite annoying is that...well yes, Riot's approach here is bloody dumb. It excludes a whole load of other people who could be considered minority voices in gaming that could absolutely contribute (LGBT men, PoC, trans men, anyone who generally identifies masc and all combos), it flies against everything that tells us segregation is dumb and very bad, it does nothing but throw the actual views that people may express on panels like these into one pissing room of virtual irrelevance (oh hey, it's the Diversity Lounge all over again), it's clearly a grand yet meaningless gesture from a company who doesn't want you to look over there at all those recent articles detailing how Riot is a poo poo-awful place to work.

There are many ways to attack this. Unfortunately Boogie chose none of them and instead went for his usual combo of "What about the Reddit man" and "THIS IS HOW PEOPLE GET KILLED" and as a result, everyone hates him. Again.

The only people who don't dislike him are the generally apolitical and others on the centre tbh. Y'all could never match the hate chuds have for him.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
oh how did this get here, very strange

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I like Dark Souls 1 the most because everything feels weighty and moving around like a sack of boulders makes it feel like I imagine walking around in heavy plate while carrying a huge hunk of steel around would.

Ds2 and 3 are lesser games by speeding it up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cat doter posted:

oh how did this get here, very strange

Hmmf, of course, known criminal and street marcher- a crime so heinous it rests just below being black and illegally using a charcoal grill in a banned area of a public park- would support misandry and making men illegal from a conventions panel.

Also Dark Souls 1 was the best one IMO. Even if I do have to give it an 8.8 for Blightown, Lost Izalith, and Bed of Chaos.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

blight town actually loving rules

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cat doter posted:

blight town actually loving rules

Framerate issues and those loving toxic blowdarts aside yeah, it was cool.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

any level that can make you feel like you're on some descent into hell where everything loving hates you and wants you dead while you're totally lost rules

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blighttown running at 60fps made the lovely HD rerelease worthwhile

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I've tried to get into Souls (only number 1) a couple of times but have never quite managed it. I REALLY wanna though, it seems like tons of...um, fun? Is that the right word?

I get frustrated and defeated so easily mind you, and I barely give myself the time to play things that aren't the simple to understand old games I usually cover.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cat doter posted:

any level that can make you feel like you're on some descent into hell where everything loving hates you and wants you dead while you're totally lost rules

Oh yeah I wasn't being sarcastic, I really do like Blighttown.

It's also really neat being able to see the giant flying buttresses from Firelink Shrine.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

I've tried to get into Souls (only number 1) a couple of times but have never quite managed it. I REALLY wanna though, it seems like tons of...um, fun? Is that the right word?

I get frustrated and defeated so easily mind you, and I barely give myself the time to play things that aren't the simple to understand old games I usually cover.

I'd try starting off with bloodborne if you wanna get a feel for the series, plus it's a little better balanced and more mechanically satisfying initially, while still giving you a good feel for the style of combat in the other souls games

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Framerate issues and those loving toxic blowdarts aside yeah, it was cool.

Yeah, I mean at release, not remastered versions.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kim Justice posted:

Oddly enough I can't keep up with those older games you tend to cover, its all happening so fast and sudden. :ohdear:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Jimbot posted:

It's that time again! Everyone's favorite fence-sitting one-step away from being a MAGA chud said something incredibly :psyduck:.

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1036670361968889856

Neutron stars aren't as hot as that take.

He's gonna Boogie oogie oogie til he just can't Boogie no more.

Ah Boogie, Boogie no more.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

At this point boogie is just a heaping mound of sentient biological poo poo given a platform, who only exists to defend the status quo and I have no idea how people can defend him when he's got all the hallmarks of an emotional abuser.

There are more people that don't know what emotional abuse is than those who do.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad looks at Miami Connection, one of the most awesomely bad films out there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Boogie seems to have a pathological need to draw ire on himself and then try to place himself above it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Boogie seems to have a pathological need to draw ire on himself and then try to place himself above it.

Like everyone else has said, he’s a psychological manipulator. See his VidCon ‘17 meltdown where he willfully misinterpreted an innocuous thing Anita Sarkeesian said to him in private and had a several day long heaving meltdown over it for the sole purpose of trying to embarrass her somehow.

Guy’s devious smart.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrVenkman posted:

He is a :decorum: liberal bordering on chud. I am not surprised.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

It's a vicious cycle that happens when Boogie commentates on basically anything. Boogie draws a load of blasts from either the left or right (or both at the same time), Boogie wallows in self-pity, Boogie's fans say how inspirational he is and he "gets better" and a couple of days later it happens again. It's compulsive.

Like, there's something clearly and majorly screwed up there. By this point I can't feel much in the way of dislike or anything at all really though - it's happened too much for too long. When you think he's on a better track he's suddenly worse than ever. One can only observe and hope that at some point they break the cycle, but you need the motivation to do it first of all.

EDIT: He's not the only one either, some people are just addicted at drawing bad poo poo on themselves and manipulating their way out. It's a depressing existence.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 4, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Like everyone else has said, he’s a psychological manipulator. See his VidCon ‘17 meltdown where he willfully misinterpreted an innocuous thing Anita Sarkeesian said to him in private and had a several day long heaving meltdown over it for the sole purpose of trying to embarrass her somehow.

Guy’s devious smart.

It probably is pathological, like munchausen syndrome or something where he has a need to be cosseted and affirmed by caring others. Even his infamous “confrontation” with Anita Sarkeesian ended with her coaching him through hyperventilation exercises like putting his head between his knees because he had such a severe freakout and only recovered once she quit treating him like an adult and started mothering him instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just sounds like untreated anxiety to me

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mokinokaro posted:

The main problem with 3 is that is has vast swathes of essentially recycled content from earlier games. It's basically Dark Souls: Greatest Hits.

EDIT: \/ not really? The entire game is built around callbacks to previous entries for story and theme reasons.

There's a very strong argument to be made that the repetition goes far beyond mere fanservice and is core to the themes of both DS3 and the entire series. For my money they also put on a novel enough spin on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

business hammocks posted:

It probably is pathological, like munchausen syndrome or something where he has a need to be cosseted and affirmed by caring others. Even his infamous “confrontation” with Anita Sarkeesian ended with her coaching him through hyperventilation exercises like putting his head between his knees because he had such a severe freakout and only recovered once she quit treating him like an adult and started mothering him instead.

I mean, while I still think Boogie is a gently caress, this is basically how anxiety feels. Your brain kicks into this terrible place of pure fear over what seems to be mundane things and the only thing that gets you out of it is someone having some kind of understanding of what you’re going through.

I can feel the exact thing Boogie felt just by thinking of it. I know what it’s like to be confronted by something and shutting down because holy poo poo does it hurt and scare me so much.

I’m not defending boogie but just saying that this stuff pretty much breaks you down and it’s very hard to get out of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shaun pointed out in Twitter that boogie is 44 years old and I’m in awe

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Guy’s devious smart.

I dunno man, I'm gonna need more evidence of him being a 'Net genius than that. This just sounds like that tongue-in-cheek thing when people would say: 'God, what if the whole DSP thing is just an act the whole time?'

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Boogie is what happens when a YouTuber develops a parasocial relationship with all of is followers instead of the other way around. You try and please a mass of humanity (and lack thereof) that is impossible, so you waffle yourself to death.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

No lie this is more or less my stance no only to Boogie but to a few other figures discussed.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno man, I'm gonna need more evidence of him being a 'Net genius than that. This just sounds like that tongue-in-cheek thing when people would say: 'God, what if the whole DSP thing is just an act the whole time?'

I mean, you don't have to be a genius to be a manipulator. Most of the manipulators I've known have been overall fairly dumb. They just instinctually recognise the kind of behaviors that mean "this person will give me what I need" and fall into patterns that lead to them getting the thing they need. They're often not even doing it intentionally, which is part of why it's so difficult to break out of that kind of behavior.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

drat this is good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hbomberguy when are you finally gonna make a video about your time as the saxophonist in Men At Work

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boogie is the Michael Scott of YouTubers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

This is such a common story and I'd like to conclude that DS1 is bad at onboarding, a failure that people like to defend as wizened smartypants game design something something hand holding (also me, Dark Souls ultra fan, had no problem with it so maybe you should git gud? :smug:), but is probably just plain ole questionable design in the grand scheme of things.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I tried Demons' Souls at the behest of a friend once and didn't much care for it, then at that same friend's insistence (along with the rest of the internet) I gave Dark Souls a try. I wound up bouncing off of it several times before it finally clicked for me.

I blame at least 3 of my failed attempts on Blighttown.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not really a failure it’s how the game is designed, it’s how the series is designed. Not everyone wants to play that which is fine but it’s kind of important and isn’t bad design or whatever.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
One of the things I will admit that I agree with Joseph Anderson about is that there really is a bunch of bullshit in DS1 (and the other 'Souls games honestly but it's worse in DS1 since everyone treats that like an untouchable masterpiece of hard but fair) that harshly punishes new players to an obnoxious degree and can't really be defended with the idea that the game is playing fair and you just should have been more observant/better prepared. Mainly the Anor Londo Silver Knight archers and the Drake gotcha in the Undead Burg.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the silver Knights are at like the half way point you aren’t a new player at that point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A serious question here: Can anyone recommend me a good video to help someone understand body/gender dysphoria and transexuals in general? Like 101 stuff. Normally, if they had some inkling I'd point them in Contra's direction but while her videos are good and informative, they might be a bit on the weird side for them. I honestly can't remember where I started off or what helped me understand all this a little bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the silver Knights are at like the half way point you aren’t a new player at that point.

First time play through, you know how much people replay these games.