Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
The first time that the Bonneville salt flats were used for motorsports was 1912. About 20 years later, things started to heat up a bit. Cars were becoming more common place and the world was not concerned with miles per gallon, instead opting for speed. My road with cars has been different- the stories, people and experiences I have with vintage vehicles have very much defined my life, peers and even scoring me a wife. My last thread got archived, and I've been very busy with life. So about a month ago I got a text from a close friend and former co-worker with this photo, I couldn't believe what I was looking at:

Not but a few days before he and his wife were sitting on our deck, talking about our love of airplanes, vintage cars and our out of control collections. We both have been collecting airplane parts, cars, bikes and all kinds of crap for years now - we were in my garage looking at my roadster and talking about how incredible it would be to build a lakester - aka a car built out of a fuel drop tank from a ww2 aircraft. He works for himself and has plenty more time than I do these days, so he found a deal, drove to Reno NV and sent me this photo.

The text sat there on my phone, the hair on the back of my neck stood up, pupils dialated - I took a drag of the cigarette I was smoking and responded to the text "is one mine?"

"yes"

Fast forward to yesterday:

- all ideas, good or bad start somewhere..

cost? I traded him some propellers for this.

the plan: custom frame, early ford suspension, quick change rear, buick straight 8, 41 buick transmission. lots of time, lots of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Holy poo poo

This is awesome. Good luck with it!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, this should be good.

Is the intent to build something that's a very focused replica of what was around in the fifties, or do you have your own preferences that you'll be incorporating?

How many concessions to modernity/safety are required to be allowed to run at the Bonnet illegal events?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Patiently bookmarked, this should be good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Belly tank cars are awesome. I cannot wait to see what happens here.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I hope you leave that danger stencil on there.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Needs a shark mouth, louvres (LOTS of louvres) and brushed plain steel flat disc wheels. Also tall whitewall bias plys. :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’ve got a guy who can help you with louvres, too. He built my jeep and knows his poo poo, and has been fascinated with salt flats stuff lately. Have you been out to El Mirage? We’re talking about going to the next run.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Leave it on top, like a Thule cargo carrier. Also sell advertising on the sides.

Just kidding.

Use this with it : https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-V12-702-cubic-inch-engine-with-transmission/183411144241?hash=item2ab427f631:g:p4IAAOSwUZZbfeHo

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
:f5:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Oh, this should be good.

Is the intent to build something that's a very focused replica of what was around in the fifties, or do you have your own preferences that you'll be incorporating?

How many concessions to modernity/safety are required to be allowed to run at the Bonnet illegal events?

I want it to be as vintage as possible - the rules have changed a lot since the 40s and there is a lot more cage work to be done - the early examples of lakesters were all open top, most built these days have serious cages, aero and other modern tech behind them - I'm working on getting a physical copy of the rule book to sift through while I'm on the shitter - The good thing about this is that there are 2 of us working on this, so there is a possibility of actually running one or both of them for real - there's plenty of other events that don't require the same amount of safety equipment to participate, including TROG, RPM Nationals, Antique Nationals ect - however most of those are drag races and nothing even close to LSR kind of stuff.

Applesnots posted:

I hope you leave that danger stencil on there.

this actually scared me the most about transporting it - it says DANGER EXPLOSIVE SQUIBS INSTALLED on the side of the tank - I got a few bewildered looks as we were driving down the street - one guy pulled up next to me and called me out on exactly what I was doing "thats a drop tank from a corsair on top of a 1948 buick roadmaster, no one has or ever will see this sight again"

Kurten posted:

Needs a shark mouth, louvres (LOTS of louvres) and brushed plain steel flat disc wheels. Also tall whitewall bias plys. :)

You got it correct minus sharks mouth - thats been done to death, and while it would be cool, I have a few tricks up my sleeve for the livery of this one.

Krakkles posted:

I’ve got a guy who can help you with louvres, too. He built my jeep and knows his poo poo, and has been fascinated with salt flats stuff lately. Have you been out to El Mirage? We’re talking about going to the next run.

El Mirage is probably where we will go most of the time with it, bonneville is the long term goal, but EM is so close, we could take them out there on the weekends and run around a bit. - about the louvers - big possibility on meeting up with the fella - these tanks tend to overheat pretty darn quick so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

some_admin posted:

Leave it on top, like a Thule cargo carrier. Also sell advertising on the sides.

Just kidding.

Use this with it : https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-V12-702-cubic-inch-engine-with-transmission/183411144241?hash=item2ab427f631:g:p4IAAOSwUZZbfeHo

Thought about leaving it up there, but my little silly cargo rack (from the 60s) was barely man enough for the job - it was creaking and groaning the whole time - I thought my roof was going to be dented in by the time I got home, thankfully it was not!

The v12 is a fantastic idea, but my dream is to have an inline 8, with 8 pipes coming out of one side of a high polish silver bullet. - also space is going to become an issue pretty quick, I'm 6'3, the I8 i want to use is about 3.5' long and the transmission is questionable - plus a banjo quickchange.. its going to be tight, I'm not opposed to doing v8, but it will have to be a special motor - like a cadillac, buick or olds or something weird - I've also though about doing a GMC big straight 6, flathead I8, cadillac flathead

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ground floor, motherfuckers. Godspeed!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
While we're at it, here's some more stuff for you all to be entertained by:

anyone remember that car?

firestone tire factory inside

firestone tire factory outside

from our feature in hot rod magazine:

and from last weekend at pebble - a few friends hanging out:

more later!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

I want it to be as vintage as possible - the rules have changed a lot since the 40s and there is a lot more cage work to be done - the early examples of lakesters were all open top, most built these days have serious cages, aero and other modern tech behind them - I'm working on getting a physical copy of the rule book to sift through while I'm on the shitter - The good thing about this is that there are 2 of us working on this, so there is a possibility of actually running one or both of them for real - there's plenty of other events that don't require the same amount of safety equipment to participate, including TROG, RPM Nationals, Antique Nationals ect - however most of those are drag races and nothing even close to LSR kind of stuff.
Nice, nice. Just remember: The purpose of reading rulebooks is to be the guy that makes someone mutter "Oh, you bastard..." and rewrite next year's.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

LobsterboyX posted:

one guy pulled up next to me and called me out on exactly what I was doing "thats a drop tank from a corsair on top of a 1948 buick roadmaster, no one has or ever will see this sight again"

Hahahah, this is awesome, in fact the whole thing is. Fived and subscribed - count me as one of those who care!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh my god, you're actually going to build a belly tanker. Please please please keep us updated on this thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh hell yes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
"GMC big straight six"

Bah. There is only one gas* I6 option for this, and you know in your heart what it is. Hudson Hornet.

*I dont think a Jimmy 6-71 diesel would fit anyway.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If you're still considering V8 options, my first thought is a reverse-flow nailhead. Straight eight would be cooler if you can fit it, though.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Raluek posted:

If you're still considering V8 options, my first thought is a reverse-flow nailhead. Straight eight would be cooler if you can fit it, though.

Driven directly by the crank? Edit: Apparently it's a specific brand of supercharger I've never heard of, Potvin.

boxen fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 12, 2018

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

He returns! I was missing your threads man, they're always a joy to read.

Comedy suggestion so this isn't just back patting: Model T engine with one of the trick heads that makes it OHC (or even DOHC).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

This is awesome.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Chillbro Baggins posted:

"GMC big straight six"

Bah. There is only one gas* I6 option for this, and you know in your heart what it is. Hudson Hornet.

*I dont think a Jimmy 6-71 diesel would fit anyway.

Hudson has crossed my mind, but boy those loving things are hard to find.. Even the full cars are expensive. I found a dirt cheap Packard I8 flathead with 3 carbs for sale that crossed my mind briefly. The GMC i was thinking about are the early "big" 6 motors that were found in trucks and busses - 302 is the most common, and they are often raced..

boxen posted:

Driven directly by the crank? Edit: Apparently it's a specific brand of supercharger I've never heard of, Potvin.

Trust, this thought has crossed my mind too, however with space at a premium (tank is 13.5' long and I'm 6'3" ) I dont know if I can get away with something that silly (cool)

ishikabibble posted:

He returns! I was missing your threads man, they're always a joy to read.

Comedy suggestion so this isn't just back patting: Model T engine with one of the trick heads that makes it OHC (or even DOHC).

Your comedy option is a real option - in fact most of the belly tanks out there are "banger" driven - Banger referring to the ford 4 cyl flathead - The Model T block is so close to the A block, and the B block (which is just the next generation of the A block)

Here's my hopped up banger in my 30 roadster - That other winfield head is a High compression High Speed head developed in the early 30s - it promises speeds of 70-80mph! WOW - the original engine had an updraft carb, iron exhaust manifold and some other slow stuff - Right now we're developing a cam, based off a early 50s Iskendarian racing cam that we will run for the specific events we hit this year and next, just playing with the grind to make it more streetable, and functional with the modern production winfield heads...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

Trust, this thought has crossed my mind too, however with space at a premium (tank is 13.5' long and I'm 6'3" ) I dont know if I can get away with something that silly (cool)

Silly? What's the name of the forum again? If you're trying to make it look roughly period-correct, how concerned were old racers about leaving room for themselves to sit around the engine?

I kid, I kid. I just want to see something unique/insane/cool-looking, and I don't think that'll be a problem with this project.

Looking at belly tank racers, do most of them have the engine behind the driver? What are you doing for a transmission, Beetle?

Tuckers used a flat six helicopter engine, didn't they? How hard would something like that be to fit in one of these? Do they make enough power to be worth it?

As a thought experiment, is there any existing form of small-block chevy that would be interesting enough for a car like this? A DOHC conversion with a vintage centrifugal blower and (replica) Hilborn injection, maybe?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

boxen posted:

Silly? What's the name of the forum again? If you're trying to make it look roughly period-correct, how concerned were old racers about leaving room for themselves to sit around the engine?

I kid, I kid. I just want to see something unique/insane/cool-looking, and I don't think that'll be a problem with this project.

Looking at belly tank racers, do most of them have the engine behind the driver? What are you doing for a transmission, Beetle?

Tuckers used a flat six helicopter engine, didn't they? How hard would something like that be to fit in one of these? Do they make enough power to be worth it?

As a thought experiment, is there any existing form of small-block chevy that would be interesting enough for a car like this? A DOHC conversion with a vintage centrifugal blower and (replica) Hilborn injection, maybe?

lol - Yes, that is the name of the forum! Most of the traditional tank cars have the engine behind the driver and use primarily early ford parts because they're plentiful. The most successful ones use early ford engines as well, both early v8s and 4 bangers. The transmissions in them are traditionally 39+ ford transmissions with 1st gear removed, and the rear ends are typically quckchange style center sections and early tubes bolted directly to the transmission. This means most of the rear ends are solid mounted because... no driveshaft... no slip yoke... no "torque ball"... no suspension - which is fine and dandy for the salt but for the street, not so much.. there are a few which use 40 ford trailing shackles and a perch to run a buggy spring, but I have no clue how they get the travel from the trans to the rear end...

heres a typical view of the front - note the single buggy spring in the front - also note that the frame it self is actually a model T frame - the corners and the rivets give it away..

This one is pretty well known and has a great look, although my tank is almost double the size of this one.

here's an example of a solid mounted rear

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I suppose there's two approaches you could take - building it as per how it would have been done in period, or building it as you would if given free reign in the present day, just restricting yourself to only using donor components up to, say, 1955.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This will be neat.

LobsterboyX posted:

This one is pretty well known and has a great look, although my tank is almost double the size of this one.

All I see is "The Decapitator."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:vince:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Larrymer posted:

This will be neat.

All I see is "The Decapitator."

Me too.

Please, please, please add a good roll bar.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

What car is this? I love this.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's a pair of Tucker 48's, of which only about 55 were ever built. They're easily worth $2m each.

This topic is amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes. You're living the life Lobsterboy.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Wow sick thread. Love the traditional approach it looks like you take on your projects.

Have a link to the build on your Buick?

I just traded for a 48 Pontiac last weekend, can't find anything aftermarket for it really, drat BOP poo poo.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's a pair of Tucker 48's, of which only about 55 were ever built. They're easily worth $2m each.

If you've never heard of a Tucker before, it's a really interesting story worth reading about, check out the Wikipedia page if nothing else. The cars are fascinating from a technological standpoint. There was a movie made about the guy behind them (Preston Tucker) in the late 80's, I don't know if it's any good or not, I last saw it when I was fairly young.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

boxen posted:

If you've never heard of a Tucker before, it's a really interesting story worth reading about, check out the Wikipedia page if nothing else. The cars are fascinating from a technological standpoint. There was a movie made about the guy behind them (Preston Tucker) in the late 80's, I don't know if it's any good or not, I last saw it when I was fairly young.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This topic is amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes. You're living the life Lobsterboy.

Of course its $2m car. I actually watched a video about Tucker a while back. Pretty interesting. Now that you guys said what car it is I recognize it, looks amazing.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
You could probably brutalise a Formula vee/Formula ford/ locost chassis plan to fit that all in!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

and from last weekend at pebble - a few friends hanging out:

MrOnBicycle posted:

This is too funny - the photographer is an old friend. Sending this his way, he'll dig seeing his photo out there.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
48 Tuckers were made - I'm pretty familiar with them... hehe

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Tell me more about the blue transformers truck in back.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

This is too funny - the photographer is an old friend. Sending this his way, he'll dig seeing his photo out there.
Apparently, chassis 1015 and 1044.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Kaptainballistik posted:

You could probably brutalise a Formula vee/Formula ford/ locost chassis plan to fit that all in!

That's a bit too modern for me - Independent suspension is cool and everything, but I have to keep it authentic looking.

PhotoKirk posted:

Me too.

Please, please, please add a good roll bar.

The decapitator look is truly authentic although I do value my life and probably will make a bit more off a head hoop than this one shows, but I'm not gunning for any sort of "approved" 20 point cage type of thing. if - My buddy who I'm building this with wants to be a bit more serious than I do regarding this, I want to be able to drive this thing... on the street.. maybe.... and compete in some light racing events -

which brings me to my next topic!

I'm readying my model a for a really fun event at the end of October called the RPM nationals - its pre 1936 ford powered cars - its not a sanctioned race, its not a quarter mile, its not an 8th mile, its a guy with a mechanical stop watch on an old air strip in a private ranch in central california.

https://www.rpmnationals.com/

so here's the list of to-do items:
relocate battery
install axle safety keepers
install seat belts
service brakes
paint livery

1st is relocating the battery to the rear of the car - as it stands the battery was located under the floor board and hung down like a big buck tooth under the car

you can see it here and its rather unsightly - with the fenders and the running boards on, it is well hidden, but when it comes to hot rods, they are often located in the rear.

here you can see the underpinnings of the car with the wooden floorboards removed

note the brake master cylinder thats bolted to the transmission - its a fantastic kit that is no longer made - engineered by a retired man specifically for the model a platform. it has a fail safe valve in case any of the soft lines blow, the brakes that were not effected will will still function, either front or rear. it even has a...gasp... modern pressure activated brake light switch! - hurrah!

here is the battery and tray removed:

I'm in the midst of cleaning up the wiring - I made the harness myself - have to order a few longer cables

I took some time to create a livery for the car:

thoughts?