Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Prop Wash posted:

I hope the Lake Triplets end up as special research. Raiding for them does not sound fun.

they will absolutely be raid bosses. maybe some of the other eighty billion gen 4 legendaries will be research task exclusive, but there's no way in any generation that a signature trio (as well as the 'main' legendaries, ie dialga, palkia and giratina) are not in raids one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Wow having Mewtwo run on you really kneecaps your enthusiasm for this game. It's been a long time since I've been this bummed out by a loving computer game. :smith:

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 4, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

By all accounts I suppose my local raid group are alright folks. They're having a barbecue after Moltres raid day and that's cool. The weird part is my wife, sister, and I are probably the youngest members of the group at 27, 25, and 29. I was super surprised the first EX raid I went to because it was all folks about 35-50. Didn't realize the draw of the game to the slightly older crowd. Super excited to go catch Moltres and then enjoy a barbecue with my raid group tho.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Our group is primarily 30+ range here with one older dude who gets pretty hype sometimes and is super polite which is awesome

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Untrustable posted:

Didn't realize the draw of the game to the slightly older crowd.

The first pokemon game came out 22 years ago.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Wheany posted:

The first pokemon game came out 22 years ago.

when you put it like that

f***

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Yesterday was a very cultural day for us.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Pez posted:

it's the same for me now, but when I was on that Quest it didn't matter what time I was out I wouldn't see ghosts but once every few days. It was the same for my wife, when she was still on that part I would see ghosts spawn on my account but they wouldn't be there for her

This could be a difference in the timing of spawns for your phone. I'm skeptical that it eas anything else, TBH. Niantic absolutely is fat dildos about things, but if this were common they'd be screaming about it on TSR.

When I went ghost hunting for my main and a friend's main, I had my alt up as well. All three saw the same spawns, and my alt wasn't near that step. The radius and range differs on all three, so there were times I had to creep 15 feet south or whatever to get something to pop on all 3 screens, but there was no difference.

I want you to be wrong, Niantic is spiteful enough as is.

Also, I can grind dust and crap for the gooncommune accounts. I don't sleep much, and have too many Gotchas from losing and then finding them.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

Yesterday was a very cultural day for us.

I gotta say, battling in a gym at the Colosseum while waiting in line, and then leaving my victorious Jolteon to lord over the corpses of the fallen, was satisfying as hell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Girlfriend went to Ireland, so I gave her my account. She caught me Volbeat and Mr. Mime on the first day :hellyeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Girlfriend went to Ireland, so I gave her my account. She caught me Volbeat and Mr. Mime on the first day :hellyeah:

No wonder you finally opened my gift :v:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Having an issue with my Gotcha, not sure if anyone can help me with it.

I changed the option in the Gotcha App yesterday to disable the animations and since I did that it won't connect to my phone either in Go or the Gotcha App. What should I do? How do I reset the Gotcha? Hopefully that's all I need to do. Has anyone had this happen? Is that all I need to do?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

No wonder you finally opened my gift :v:

I have 115 friends on my list and tend to prioritize those I'm close to getting ultra / best friends, so sorry that I'm not quite getting to you :v:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I lost my Go Plus last week. I ordered the Gotcha Ranger as a replacement. Pretty nice so far.

Only thing I don't like is when my eggs hatch and it keeps spinning and picks up eggs. I have to scramble to turn off bluetooth and force a disconnection so I can open gifts for Alolan eggs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

I have 115 friends on my list and tend to prioritize those I'm close to getting ultra / best friends, so sorry that I'm not quite getting to you :v:

I just assumed you were tired of me sending you Starbucks postcards lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

I just assumed you were tired of me sending you Starbucks postcards lol

Nah I'm just lazy and tend to sort by friendship level.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I think the important of doing any kind of account swap is that you have to build up the dust yourself. 20k isn't too horrible especially if you're catching multiple regionals. Several of us in the family play, and this is a good week to generate dust anyway.

I get the trade aspect of the game for regionals, but it's also kind of a pain in the butt that things stay locked for so long when many people can't travel especially for the ones from really far away (tropius and relicanth I'm looking at you)

A couple friends at least are going to hook us up with torkoal and heracross.

Friending said account and gifting it will help keep it full of balls and dust, too.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I seem to be the only person who isn't looking forward to PVP.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't care either. Unless I can do it remotely. If I have to be within Trade Distance, I'm out.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Finally caught Celebi! Somehow the hardest part of the quest was catching 40 Grass/Psychic mons, it took almost a week.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Epi Lepi posted:

Having an issue with my Gotcha, not sure if anyone can help me with it.

I changed the option in the Gotcha App yesterday to disable the animations and since I did that it won't connect to my phone either in Go or the Gotcha App. What should I do? How do I reset the Gotcha? Hopefully that's all I need to do. Has anyone had this happen? Is that all I need to do?

It may not even be related to the change in settings. Sometimes Gotcha just decides to crap out and take a break for the day.

I have a series of actions I take in order of least to most intrusive. If one doesn't work, I move on to the next one on the list depending on my patience at the time. It usually connects by the time I get to #3 on my list but if it doesn't then I give up and try again later to see if it's in a better mood. I've also found that it may have trouble if the battery is getting low but I have no way to gauge it so if I'm having trouble and suspect it's low then I just leave it charging and try again later.

1: Try to connect. If it says "Device not found," try again. It often works on the second time for some reason.
2: Open phone's bluetooth settings > forget Pokemon Go+ pairing. Re-pair and switch to game to see if it starts connecting.
3: Eject Go+ from within Pokemon game settings. Close game completely. Forget Go+ pairing in Bluetooth settings. Start game and try pairing from scratch.
4: Turn phone off and on again.
5: Reinstall Pokemon app

fwiw, the Go-tcha support team says to do a device reset you have to plug/unplug the thing into its charger repeatedly like 10 times but I don't know if I've had any luck with that.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This stardust event is amaaaaaaazing.

I live near Hollywood and the Walk of Fame has about 100 pokestops in a 1 mile stretch. Traffic moves slow enough that my Gotcha can consistently grab them, plus pokemon spawns basically limitless.

Even with an awful catch rate (<50%) my Gotcha pulled in over 30k stardust in a half hour of driving one lap up and down the street. My girlfriend was doing quick catches as a passenger and probably got 40-50k dust on her account.

If any of you are my friend then I hope you enjoy the collection of B-list celebrities and Scientology gifts that I'll be sending out all week.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 4, 2018

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm perpetually low on stardust, so this is a welcome event. Got 40k walking around today with the Go-plus on my lunch break.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Teeter posted:

It may not even be related to the change in settings. Sometimes Gotcha just decides to crap out and take a break for the day.

I have a series of actions I take in order of least to most intrusive. If one doesn't work, I move on to the next one on the list depending on my patience at the time. It usually connects by the time I get to #3 on my list but if it doesn't then I give up and try again later to see if it's in a better mood. I've also found that it may have trouble if the battery is getting low but I have no way to gauge it so if I'm having trouble and suspect it's low then I just leave it charging and try again later.

1: Try to connect. If it says "Device not found," try again. It often works on the second time for some reason.
2: Open phone's bluetooth settings > forget Pokemon Go+ pairing. Re-pair and switch to game to see if it starts connecting.
3: Eject Go+ from within Pokemon game settings. Close game completely. Forget Go+ pairing in Bluetooth settings. Start game and try pairing from scratch.
4: Turn phone off and on again.
5: Reinstall Pokemon app

fwiw, the Go-tcha support team says to do a device reset you have to plug/unplug the thing into its charger repeatedly like 10 times but I don't know if I've had any luck with that.

This one worked. I don't use many bluetooth things so I didn't know about removing it from pairing there, thanks!

Gotta have my Gotcha going for this event. All the sweet sweet stardust.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Teeter posted:

This stardust event is amaaaaaaazing.

I live near Hollywood and the Walk of Fame has about 100 pokestops in a 1 mile stretch. Traffic moves slow enough that my Gotcha can consistently grab them, plus pokemon spawns basically limitless.

Even with an awful catch rate (<50%) my Gotcha pulled in over 30k stardust in a half hour of driving one lap up and down the street. My girlfriend was doing quick catches as a passenger and probably got 40-50k dust on her account.

If any of you are my friend then I hope you enjoy the collection of B-list celebrities and Scientology gifts that I'll be sending out all week.

If you get the chance, go to old town Newhall. It will be lit nightly this week. 20+ pokestop loop lured from 8 to midnight.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How long do these benefits last? Sunday?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm wondering if something with Bluetooth connectivity got changed in the latest update. I just had a Go-tcha session last an hour and a half, instead of timing out at 1 hour exactly. I was also able to re-connect the Go-tcha in one try, which like never happens; I usually have to recharge the Go-tcha for a while, or restart my phone, the game, the Bluetooth service, or some combination of all three.

Now, if my phone would stop auto-killing Pokemon Go whenever I open any other app, that'd be just great.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah my Go-tcha has been rock solid since the last update.

Hey, does anyone use the Go Companion app? I tried using its Go+ services for signal boosting and whatnot, but it feels like it makes the device less responsive, and I successfully swung fewer stops while driving.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah my Go-tcha has been rock solid since the last update.

Hey, does anyone use the Go Companion app? I tried using its Go+ services for signal boosting and whatnot, but it feels like it makes the device less responsive, and I successfully swung fewer stops while driving.

I don't bother with it, personally. It didn't help my connection problems at all so I just uninstalled it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DizzyBum posted:

I don't bother with it, personally. It didn't help my connection problems at all so I just uninstalled it.
I like the idea of it pinging when the connection is lost, but nothing else seems to do anything helpful. (And like I said, it feels actively harmful when I'm driving through downtown trying to auto-spin stops.)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

dwarf74 posted:

I like the idea of it pinging when the connection is lost, but nothing else seems to do anything helpful. (And like I said, it feels actively harmful when I'm driving through downtown trying to auto-spin stops.)

Related but is there a way to make the Gotcha more likely to spin stops at higher speeds? I get a lot of "Stop out of range" on my commute and I feel like it should be able to hit at least some of these as I'm not racing in my car or anything.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My observation, at least for my area and phone model, is that the gotcha/go-plus responds too slowly to get stops at anything over roughly 20 mph.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Noxville posted:

Turns out the highest mountain in the British Isles has both a pokestop and a gym at the top of it. Of course I took over the gym.

are you the king now?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm browsing reddit and I have seen a few other people mention that their Go+/Go-tcha connections have been great since 0.117.2 released. That's a really good sign.

Epi Lepi posted:

Related but is there a way to make the Gotcha more likely to spin stops at higher speeds? I get a lot of "Stop out of range" on my commute and I feel like it should be able to hit at least some of these as I'm not racing in my car or anything.

Turning off "Nearby Pokemon" notifications in the Pokemon Go settings is your best bet if you want to focus on stops. Other than that, it's down to how quickly your phone and the Go-tcha respond to each other, and how long you stay in the stop's range.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Epi Lepi posted:

It's magic and/or voodoo.

The phone's speed, the network speed, and Bluetooth connection all play a role. So sometimes I hit stops at 45 mph, and sometimes I don't even hit them if I stop at a nearby stop sign.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I really need to plan for these quests better. I caught three Dittos in the last week before getting to that stage, and added about a dozen friends in the last few days before getting to that stage of the other quest.

If anyone still needs friends send me an add request! 7056 3757 0329

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've been thinking about getting a Go-tcha or Go+, but how is it for tracking buddy/egg distance?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bowmore posted:

I could do this

Ok I got a Tauros, if you’d like the account email me awfulnewyork@gmail.com

I’ve been wanting that Kangaskhan for a while :hellyeah:

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

I've been thinking about getting a Go-tcha or Go+, but how is it for tracking buddy/egg distance?

Go+ is trash. Don’t get that.

It’s not a distance tracker. Your phone is.
It’s to catch Pokémon and get stops without pulling your phone out every 3 seconds. I only use mine at work, but it fills up my bag every day and I catch about 100 Pokémon a day that normally I wouldn’t even worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Works well, actually! It keeps the app active even while the screen is locked and it continues tracking distance.

e: also yeah I also recommend the Gotcha over the official Go+, both functionally and aesthetically.

• Locked thread