Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

Speaking of which: maybe it's just my inflated expectations after the media circus that has been the Conor McGregor Experience over the last 30 or so months but there's kind of a shocking lack of media or promotion for that fight. I'd bet most people don't even know he's got a fight booked

I think he’s trying to take a step back from pre-fight media a la Nate 2. Maybe he’s taking Khalabib pretty seriously.

Is there a turning point fight for Khabib or is it steady growth? I watched his earliest UFC fights the other day and he definitely improved between fights but always looked beatable. I just need to finish them I guess. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the Johnson or Barboza fights, and I’ve never seen the Dos Anjos fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

Everyone who thinks Woodley will win, I'm writing down your names in my little notebook.

i hope till wins but i think woodley is gonna beat him sorry man

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Woodleys going to grind Till against the cage and try and get the decision that way. If till is active enough in between grindings and gets favorable judges i can see him getting the decision. But maybe its just wishful thinking

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i think till is pretty good but hes not as good as woodley. maybe he can knock woodley out if he is feeling really good on the night but i think woodley is essentially better in every aspect of conditioning and probably technique too

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

FishBowlRobot posted:

I think he’s trying to take a step back from pre-fight media a la Nate 2. Maybe he’s taking Khalabib pretty seriously.

Is there a turning point fight for Khabib or is it steady growth? I watched his earliest UFC fights the other day and he definitely improved between fights but always looked beatable. I just need to finish them I guess. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the Johnson or Barboza fights, and I’ve never seen the Dos Anjos fight.

We didn't necessarily realize it at the time but when he hurled RDA around the octagon like a lump of clay it was probably a turning point. When he came back after that and scorched the horch then threw hands with Michael Johnson he looked like he'd evolved his game even further. The Trujillo fight was pretty nutty too and I guess that was right before RDA.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Jon Jones is going to loving beat the poo poo out of Khabib. He's going to juijitsu all over khabibs weak ground game

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Khabib has looked 'beatable' ever since his first fight in the UFC, in the sense that there is a very clear path to beat him that literally no one has even come close to actually executing. His striking is clumsy, but his grappling is terrifying. Every fight, there's the cycle of Khabib giving someone a life altering beating, then, 24 hours later, a whole bunch of people say "well, someone who could stuff the takedowns could knock him out" then repeat for a few months/years till he fights again.

My favourite was someone using the Gleison Tibau fight as proof, long after the fact, that anyone could beat him. Yes, all you need to do is be 30 pounds heavier than the average lightweight, be on all the steroids, and you'll still loving lose.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
gently caress Woodley and all but I prefer him over Till by a fair margin

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Jon Jones would beat the poo poo out of Woodley

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Matt Hamill much, my good bitch.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Dan Hookers fighting Barboza. It seems like a tough fight and a real step up for him. What do people think his chances are?

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Nothing But Hate posted:

Dan Hookers fighting Barboza. It seems like a tough fight and a real step up for him. What do people think his chances are?

That would be cool if he won. Very impressive.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it'll be cool to watch khabib fight the genuine top level lightweights. it's such a crazy division.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

still wanna see khabib vs ugly tony. Conor decapitates khabib imo. But I also think khabib vs alvarez, ferguson, poirier or gaethje would go either way.

Hooker- barboza would be very cool. Very fun striking.

I think Woodley shits all over Till. It won't even be close.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's hard for me to imagine any scenario that ends in Conor not getting embarrassed with this particular matchup

Then again it's even harder to imagine this fight actually happening as planned

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's hard for me to imagine any scenario that ends in Conor not getting embarrassed with this particular matchup

Then again it's even harder to imagine this fight actually happening as planned

conor's beaten way better guys than khabib has, idk how you can't imagine him winning.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Southpaugh posted:

still wanna see khabib vs ugly tony. Conor decapitates khabib imo. But I also think khabib vs alvarez, ferguson, poirier or gaethje would go either way.

Hooker- barboza would be very cool. Very fun striking.

I think Woodley shits all over Till. It won't even be close.

lol gaethje

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

conor's beaten way better guys than khabib has, idk how you can't imagine him winning.

Just the style matchup is enough

Edit: I'm more interested to see what they find in Conor's system after the fight

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 5, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Automator posted:

We haven't seen a violent Woodley lately because he hasn't faced violent opponents.

Im not exactly sure what it is about till but he's more unlikable than Woodley somehow

Woodley puts him out with a knee, calling it

I think he's easy to dislike after talking all that poo poo about how it should illegal for him to fight welterweights then massively blowing his next weight cut and having a lovely fight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Khabib loves the single leg and Conor is a wide stanced southpaw. Lead leg is there for the taking.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just the style matchup is enough

Edit: I'm more interested to see what they find in Conor's system after the fight

the style match up of what? who has khabib fought that's similar to conor or vice versa?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Conor is really good at timing punches on people who come in recklessly or don't set up their entry right, which is how he starched Aldo. This is potentially bad for Khabib, because he is not the best at striking or defense on the feet, and routinely gets tagged on entry and it almost got him in trouble against Michael Johnson (worse than Conor) and was one of the only areas Al Iaquinta (worse than Conor) had success in their fight.

On the other hand, Conor doesn't have the best gas tank, and while he had ok enough takedown defense against featherweights and is good at scrambling out when openings present themselves, but in general once he gets dumped his strategy is to stare at the ref until he gets a standup or the guy on top rushes to advance position for fear that Conor will convince the ref to stand them up, presenting an opportunity to scramble. That is why he spent so much time on the ground against Chad Mendes (much physically weaker than Khabib) and part of how he got finished by Nate Diaz (hilarious.)

There's a perceivable way either guy can win and just kind of depends on who executes their path to victory best imo. But the fight won't happen because Conor will go to that space prison the justice league puts Doomsday and Khabib's whole rear end will fall off.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the style match up works both ways, if anyone is so sure they shoudl bet on it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think it's a pick em fight but would lean Khabib. That being said I think that either Conor or Khabib is going to have a stellar night and the fight won't be close. Either Conor gets mauled or Khabib gets starched.

Or the Irish vs Dagestani mobs end up killing everyone.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Unless Khabib is secretly a Diaz brother and therefore has an adamantium chin it shouldn't be hard to imagine Conor beating him.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I get that fighters are often way more confident that logic and reality would dictate, but Diego Sanchez is still convinced he will become UFC champion before he retires and I just feel real bad for those kids he got tricked into taking care of

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think both fighters are good at what they do but some of you regard one or the other as unbeatable boogeymen despite evidence to the contrary and I think each guy has a clear cut, realistic way of beating the other in a way that will make it look like the loser didn't belong in the cage with the winner. Either Khabib would powerbomb Conor to hell or Conor would punch Khabib's head off his shoulders when he rushes in with his big head straight on the center line, and depending on which way it happens either two thirds of PSP's remaining posters or Dangersim will be doing devastated mental gymnastics to reinforce their shattered worldview.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/nickdiaz209/status/1037387569305010176

https://twitter.com/nickdiaz209/status/1037391422305886208

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 5, 2018

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The fight if it happens is a coin toss to me. I could see either guy winning it.

The only thing I'm certain of is the guy who loses is going to lose badly.

I know that's the safe take on the fight, but I don't see it going any other way. Either Conor stops Khabib early or he slows down and takes a Barboza style mauling followed by a submission.

I'm not getting hype about it or thinking much harder on it until they are both walking to the cage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Conor is really good at timing punches on people who come in recklessly or don't set up their entry right, which is how he starched Aldo. This is potentially bad for Khabib, because he is not the best at striking or defense on the feet, and routinely gets tagged on entry and it almost got him in trouble against Michael Johnson (worse than Conor) and was one of the only areas Al Iaquinta (worse than Conor) had success in their fight.

On the other hand, Conor doesn't have the best gas tank, and while he had ok enough takedown defense against featherweights and is good at scrambling out when openings present themselves, but in general once he gets dumped his strategy is to stare at the ref until he gets a standup or the guy on top rushes to advance position for fear that Conor will convince the ref to stand them up, presenting an opportunity to scramble. That is why he spent so much time on the ground against Chad Mendes (much physically weaker than Khabib) and part of how he got finished by Nate Diaz (hilarious.)

There's a perceivable way either guy can win and just kind of depends on who executes their path to victory best imo. But the fight won't happen because Conor will go to that space prison the justice league puts Doomsday and Khabib's whole rear end will fall off.

This post makes me think that the Chad Mendes fight might be the best comparison on Conor's resume, and it's not one that makes me think it's winnable for him. Khabib is bigger, tougher, and better than Chad in every way except boxing techinque.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I didn't think he'd beat Vick, thought he'd get picked off. Clearly he knew what he was going up against and fought his fight. Just wouldn't count him out against someone who can't fight him on the feet.

McGregor needs one shot and thats it. Khabibs no Diaz. He's really, really good at doing one thing and mcgregor will be ready for it. Left uppercut.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Woodley’s gonna take it because he’s one of the best fighters alive.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lmao

I'm with him, gently caress the salmon sisters

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
also the emaciated ghost of darren till might actually make weight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had never heard of the Salmon Sisters but google tells me they sell $30 tee shirts so yeah gently caress em bye

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
reading the word salmon in the ufc thread made rashads only career highlight play in my head

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rashad knocked chuck the gently caress out, too.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rashad knocked chuck the gently caress out, too.

in my head thats a chuck lowlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

in my head thats a chuck lowlight

That's a long reel.

• Locked thread