Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, I kinda feel dumb for not having watched any of the CaptainDisillusion's stuff. Really good production quality, which I guess makes sense for a guy who I guess does visual effects for a living.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, you don't have to be a genius to be a manipulator. Most of the manipulators I've known have been overall fairly dumb. They just instinctually recognise the kind of behaviors that mean "this person will give me what I need" and fall into patterns that lead to them getting the thing they need. They're often not even doing it intentionally, which is part of why it's so difficult to break out of that kind of behavior.

seconding this, i once knew a guy who was extremely good at manipulating people even though he's one of the dumbest people alive

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

seconding this, i once knew a guy who was extremely good at manipulating people even though he's one of the dumbest people alive

I think we all know the President of the United States, TBE.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CelticPredator posted:

Boogie is the Michael Scott of YouTubers.

Please don't insult Michael Scott like that. At least Michael Scott learned his lessons the hardest way possible and Boogie is blithely fiddling while Rome's burning.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Boogie is so conflict averse I wouldn't be surprised if he panics and knocks himself unconscious running into walls every time someone raises their voice in ear shot of him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vanderdeath posted:

Please don't insult Michael Scott like that. At least Michael Scott learned his lessons the hardest way possible and Boogie is blithely fiddling while Rome's burning.

Michael Scott was 50 when he did learn. So boogies got time.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Is conflict averse the right way of putting it? Like, someone actually averse to conflict wouldn't tweet half the poo poo he does. Like, you get to a point where you must know that what you say is gonna brew up a shitstorm. People with anxiety, at least in my personal experience, tend to try and avoid conflict and if something's caused conflict they won't repeat it...I'm not denying anxiety's probably a part of his thing but there's more than that there for sure. It's more destructive...I dunno. Does he think he's not worthy of his following so he tries to test it constantly? Who knows. This is just spitballing.

EDIT: And I don't doubt manipulation is a part of things. Internalised, perhaps.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Alaois posted:

hbomberguy when are you finally gonna make a video about your time as the saxophonist in Men At Work

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Is conflict averse the right way of putting it? Like, someone actually averse to conflict wouldn't tweet half the poo poo he does. Like, you get to a point where you must know that what you say is gonna brew up a shitstorm.

Some people just never reach that point.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Patrick Willems has an interesting video breaking down how the use of film language has evolved over time within the Star Wars franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjT9JAmVYY

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 5, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Puppy Time posted:

Some people just never reach that point.

Well no one posts hot take incoming and is shocked when poo poo happens.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

khwarezm posted:

One of the things I will admit that I agree with Joseph Anderson about is that there really is a bunch of bullshit in DS1 (and the other 'Souls games honestly but it's worse in DS1 since everyone treats that like an untouchable masterpiece of hard but fair) that harshly punishes new players to an obnoxious degree and can't really be defended with the idea that the game is playing fair and you just should have been more observant/better prepared. Mainly the Anor Londo Silver Knight archers and the Drake gotcha in the Undead Burg.

I remember hearing that Miyazaki apologized for the Anor Londo archer, but I've also read that he designed the encounter, and that one of the methods he had for getting around it was to use poison arrows to hit them quick from a range, and then wait for them to die.

Of course, that's presuming you have poison arrows at that point, and if it occurs to you to try and go back to the nearest merchant and get some.

The Drake is crappy since you really need an extra few seconds or so to react.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I could make a 60 minutes long video about how much I love Demon's Souls.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

gently caress the Demon Ruins / Izalith. The shoddy enemy placement alone would be insulting enough. The Bed of Chaos fight is downright antithetical to the game's design: a fight based almost entirely on luck rather than the player's skill and preparation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fabricated posted:

Man, I kinda feel dumb for not having watched any of the CaptainDisillusion's stuff. Really good production quality, which I guess makes sense for a guy who I guess does visual effects for a living.
He's really loving good, and he does pretty well at keeping a balance between being informative and being entertaining. It's kind of insane the amount of effort he puts into his videos compared to the amount of effort that goes into making the videos he's commenting on.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

A serious question here: Can anyone recommend me a good video to help someone understand body/gender dysphoria and transexuals in general? Like 101 stuff. Normally, if they had some inkling I'd point them in Contra's direction but while her videos are good and informative, they might be a bit on the weird side for them. I honestly can't remember where I started off or what helped me understand all this a little bit better.

Kati Morton might have some stuff, depending on the level you want it pitched at - e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1QeWof3TU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Is conflict averse the right way of putting it? Like, someone actually averse to conflict wouldn't tweet half the poo poo he does. Like, you get to a point where you must know that what you say is gonna brew up a shitstorm. People with anxiety, at least in my personal experience, tend to try and avoid conflict and if something's caused conflict they won't repeat it...I'm not denying anxiety's probably a part of his thing but there's more than that there for sure. It's more destructive...I dunno. Does he think he's not worthy of his following so he tries to test it constantly? Who knows. This is just spitballing.

EDIT: And I don't doubt manipulation is a part of things. Internalized, perhaps.
Yeah this.
From my own experience victimizing yourself can become a sort of addiction when you've been living with a trauma that you start opening up about late in life. The comfort from other people makes you feel that there's nothing wrong with you for a short time. But in Boogies case he isn't getting those people who say "Hey you are loving yourself and you're relationships up by doing this.". His fans will keep enabling him and sadly I think this has been going on for too long for him to make a change.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CelticPredator posted:

Michael Scott was 50 when he did learn. So boogies got time.

Considering he's 44 I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yay, new It's Lit - this time about Great Literary Works and Why They Are Important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvdQ2XSGRxk

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The saga continues...

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1037050423117586434

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shouldn't Boogie be all for it with his "I don't agree with it but they're allowed to do it" spiel he did in the past?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Boogies a loving fascist.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jeez. This spiral continues ever faster.

People generally are iffy on Fantano here but at least his Twitter is nothing but an aspirational and non-adversarial mix of silly memes and funny shitposting. Something to live up to.

(Dunno why I'm bringing him up - just that he's someone random on YT with a large following that doesn't do poo poo like this on Twitter)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

What a quivering dipshit.

"Be nice to me or I'll continue to side with the Nazis out of petulant spite."

How does one's head get so far up their own rear end?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially when the guy's no contortionist. Only hippies do yoga.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kim Justice posted:

Jeez. This spiral continues ever faster.

People generally are iffy on Fantano here but at least his Twitter is nothing but an aspirational and non-adversarial mix of silly memes and funny shitposting. Something to live up to.

(Dunno why I'm bringing him up - just that he's someone random on YT with a large following that doesn't do poo poo like this on Twitter)

Dude is cool and chill. Many people only really heard about him due to a 2017 article that attacked him over his secondary meme channel* and never bothered to check his channel out to see he's a big bald bernie bro who keeps rambling on about gay rappers and not eating animals.

* Which was a fairly bizarre thing to happen, like I still don't know if it was meant to be an intended hit piece or a topical hot take from when pepes turning nazis were the hot topic or what. The channel was of a very deep fried meme quality - I suppose one could argue fried too deep for its own good - which could be aesthetically connected to whatever bizarre memecoding channers were doing at a time.

I guess it was also still time in which disliking Hillary Clinton for any reason made you Internet Hitler.

Having said that, he didn't like Jungle's debut album and that's just bullshit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

"Stop driving towards the cliff edge you loving idiot."
"Look I'm not going to turn the car around unless you ask me nicely."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I can't help but think he's using the term "bullying" in the way a less-subtle idiot would just use a racial or homophobic slur to describe someone they see as innately inferior.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

anyone who hates Devo's cover of "Satisfaction" can't be trusted

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Max Wilco posted:

The Drake is crappy since you really need an extra few seconds or so to react.

The drake is pretty heavily telegraphed though. You basically have to have not paid attention at all to anything the undead burg spent its entire time teaching you to get caught by it. Like, it's super heavily telegraphed.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Drake should never kill you in the initial fire breath unless you're cocky and decide taking on a bridge packed with enemies at low health is a good idea in the first place. I have only ever been able to sprint to the side thingies before being hit like 1 time but I always survive the breath while laying prone like 2cm away from the stairs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first fire breath isn't supposed to kill you from full, but the damage multiplier from hitting you while sprinting might make it so it does. And the bridge is long and empty, so it's basically inviting you to sprint down it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

My favourite gotcha from what little I played of DS1 was what happened when you spent a bit too much time dawdling above the Asylum Demon. Hmm I'll just wait a bit for the right timing hey what does that bloodstain say OH HOLY loving poo poo I'M DEAD

But I loved the clip from Hbomb's speedrun vid where the guy just jukes around the drake and the fire in order to get the Drake Sword. That's super cathartic to watch after spending so much time firing arrows at its tail.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Dude is cool and chill. Many people only really heard about him due to a 2017 article that attacked him over his secondary meme channel* and never bothered to check his channel out to see he's a big bald bernie bro who keeps rambling on about gay rappers and not eating animals.

* Which was a fairly bizarre thing to happen, like I still don't know if it was meant to be an intended hit piece or a topical hot take from when pepes turning nazis were the hot topic or what. The channel was of a very deep fried meme quality - I suppose one could argue fried too deep for its own good - which could be aesthetically connected to whatever bizarre memecoding channers were doing at a time.

I guess it was also still time in which disliking Hillary Clinton for any reason made you Internet Hitler.

ahhh no how could anyone dislike his *meme channel* he only posted those alt-right memes ironically

he only had Sargon of Akkad on his youtube podcast to "debate him about classical liberalism" post-ironically

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lichtenstein posted:

He's got extremely bad 4chan taste in music, also he had a known Nazi on his other channel so thats why there was a piece written.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's just pitchfork for people who never go to shows or interact with any music scenes.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well, something was settled and that article's gone now anyway. We will likely not know the details for the next 10,000 years.

...How about something less controversial, like Mark Wiens shoving slabs of juicy meat into his face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2EnKHBKI0

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Fantano had neo nazi sam hyde on his podcast and was too busy giggling to challenge hyde on his views.

gently caress fantano and his apologist fans

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Well, something was settled and that article's gone now anyway. We will likely not know the details for the next 10,000 years.

...How about something less controversial, like Mark Wiens shoving slabs of juicy meat into his face?

shove as much pastrami into my body as the law of volume will allow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kim Justice posted:

Interesting deflection