Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So now the tunnel is (presumably) blocked. I thought our company is there to fix stuff, not break it further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
The dam made some kind of sense. (Is two-phase generator power a thing in Finland?)

What the hell are these water channel gates?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

load-bearing channel gates

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The dam made some kind of sense. (Is two-phase generator power a thing in Finland?)

What the hell are these water channel gates?

It could be so that the dam was originally built for providing electric arc furnaces with an immense shitload of power.

But yes, it's still a thing here.

As for gates, I assume they're there to control flooding in case there's an excess of rain and the river would become quite the hazard anyone downstream.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

6/ The benefits of being unionised: you come to work, read the morning paper, start a game, and leave.

and I get lost a lot.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The achievement isn't required for the best ending is it?

I don't mind really esoteric secrets as long as they aren't necessary to unlock substantial content.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
As I recall, yeah, you have to be here and take all the pictures possible in order to unlock one of the ending. As for the achievement... I don't know if this particular one is necessary, but the last one regarding the power plant definitely is. Thing is, though- I think you do have to make sure the plant is still working right before you leave, in one of those "hidden requirements" again. It is a game about restoring infrastructure, after all.

Be that as it may, it still doesn't make a ton of sense from a gameplay or story perspective why Mark would just stop in some unknown plant to fiddle around with the systems, as gameplay-wise the instructions are not the clearest and there are a lot of detailed areas that don't technically need to be there*, and storywise... why would he? I can understand wanting to know what's going on, given that we're now three for three on depopulated facilities that really, really shouldn't be, but given the state of that "staircase," we're also three for three on times Mark, a structural engineer with no equipment besides a camera and a flashlight, would have been completely within his rights to turn around and go home until things are dealt with... not that going back is exactly an option anymore, due to the small cave in.

And then there's the Boss-man, who seems remarkably blasé about the entire lock system coming down (which you would think would be sufficient evidence of the "extent of the damage")... Clearly, Something Is Up, and our options are to find out what or light off into the woods screaming. And Markku... seems a lot more dedicated to his job than I would be at this point.

*Which is to the game's credit and detriment, really. On the one hand, it speaks to the effort and heart of the developers that they create such large, seamless areas and obviously cared a lot about their implementation and beauty, but on the other... they have nothing to do with solving the puzzles or directing to the exit, and players can easily become fatigued having to search every inch to progress.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, will we meet Erik or is he under all the rubble, cause by the earlier cave-in of the tunnels. Would explain why he isn't around, but has been until extremely recently.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 30, 2018

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This whole game seems designed to give people performance anxiety, why the hell did they decide to only give you the achievement after you leave the level? And will we ever see our car again?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

By the end of the game Mark is going to emerge from a warehouse to the wild applause of the entire town because he has somehow fixed every single issue they've been having with their poo poo for the past few years. Either that or this is a game show.

Tombot posted:

This whole game seems designed to give people performance anxiety, why the hell did they decide to only give you the achievement after you leave the level? And will we ever see our car again?

Someone was sent to pick it up after the dam.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
a. Trine is indeed Finnish.
b. I'll need to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure you can (and are supposed to) fix the treatment plant without fully cutting off supply, and without turning on the contaminated pipes. Because a3 and a4 are commingled before entering the flow pools, you can just shut off the pump immediately upstream of pool 4 and let pool 3 cover the flow while you drain pool 4. I...am probably wrong about that, given that the game gives you repair credit when you left all channels open. That, or the puzzle was simplified in a later update (I know several were; there used to be only one blue valve, for instance).
c. If folks are enjoying the game, I should mention the devs are trying to get folks to populate its wiki. I'll link it at the end of the playthrough if folks are willing to help-it is, ofc, spoiler filled.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if it's possible to somehow cut off all the water intake but open the valves to the chlorine tanks, dumping undiluted chlorine into the city's water supply. It's sure to cure what ails you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

7/ The 2016 season of brownwater rafting begins early in Stalburg, owing to the wonderful weather.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Alright I'll admit I laughed when you crashed at the very end of the tunnel sequence.

I mean, before you crashed on purpose.

Also I really hope Markku is getting quadruple hazard pay or something. He is going well beyond any reasonable measure of his duty.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mark has too much dedication to his job. Like, should-have-a-stay-in-the-mental-hospital levels of dedication.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I'm going to have to retract anything nice I might have said about this game so far for that raft sequence. You're starting from scratch INFRA!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

7/ The 2016 season of brownwater rafting begins early in Stalburg, owing to the wonderful weather.

Enjoy your hypercancer.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Seems like we got a good explanation for Mark's cheap booze bribe in hq.
Man can't hold his liquor and starts to hallucinate from old sewer beer.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I don't think it's that, instead I bet it's just food poisoning.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
During some parts of INFRA, I wondered why people weren't really talking about this game much, because when it's not getting in its own way, it is an atmospheric, interesting game with a lot of labor and polish where you wouldn't expect. I didn't even know the beer in the tunnels did that, and they even deposited you in a safe spot when it was done.

And then I got to parts like Ye Olde River Trip On The Weakest Raft In The World, and got my answer: it's because other areas didn't get a lot of labor and polish and really, really should have... as well as a greater period of quality assurance or audience testing. Or any period of QA or testing really. (Ye gods, this game might have had driving sections in it.)

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Oh god, taking photos while also trying to control a raft, bleh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tombot posted:

Oh god, taking photos while also trying to control a raft, bleh.

Reminds me of shooting your bow on horseback in Zelda.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've gotta confess I had nearly zero problems with the raft section aside from the split and the very end. I found the controls intuitive and had no issues taking photos during the ride. Central to this was knowing where the raft corners were, and staying in the center when I wasn't trying to tilt it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 5, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

Reminds me of shooting your bow on horseback in Zelda.

Did the horse explode on impact, too?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I have to wonder what sudden disaster befell this place that would cause the one person looking after it to abandon it so fast they abandoned all the contraband and money they had stashed around the place. I could understand not wanting to lug around a dozen jugs full of alcohol but why not at least grab some cash and stuff it in your pockets on the way out?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I think I'm going to have to retract anything nice I might have said about this game so far for that raft sequence. You're starting from scratch INFRA!

The raft is probably one of the worst parts of INFRA and yeah I don't blame you.

resurgam40 posted:

During some parts of INFRA, I wondered why people weren't really talking about this game much, because when it's not getting in its own way, it is an atmospheric, interesting game with a lot of labor and polish where you wouldn't expect. I didn't even know the beer in the tunnels did that, and they even deposited you in a safe spot when it was done.

And then I got to parts like Ye Olde River Trip On The Weakest Raft In The World, and got my answer: it's because other areas didn't get a lot of labor and polish and really, really should have... as well as a greater period of quality assurance or audience testing. Or any period of QA or testing really. (Ye gods, this game might have had driving sections in it.)

It commits the egregious sin of being extremely punishing. Honestly the game needs to really give the player more leeway in terms of falling ability, water crossing ability and being able to take a hit. Also the flashlight REALLY SUCKS because unless it's at full power you will need to solve puzzles while your view is reduced to a small circle.

Although if you think the beer is impressive just you wait. This game puts extreme amounts of effort in the weirdest places and details.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, the beer dimension. Essential element of any proper adventure game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just realized I had not posted in this thread yet. I find this game oddly mesmerizing. As others have remarked it has a very enjoyable level of detail in it (almost feeling like a model railroad or what have you) as well as being awkward enough to be funny and make me glad I'm not playing it.

It also does really fulfill that urge to wander around in empty offices that overcomes me whenever I'm stuck waiting for a tech or some such.

Anyways thanks for introducing this to me and I'm looking forward to the rest of the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

8/ I should not have slept through classes on explosives handling, assuming we had any.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

... I suppose in retrospect it's kind of a good thing Markku is not actually running into highly populated areas, even if the lack of other people was really starting to become disconcerting to me my first time through. "Oh, don't mind me, folks, just electrifying an entire corridor to open a door and handling 25-30 year old dynamite to blow a hole in a tunnel system I've already destabilized! All in a days work, eh?" Though I suppose he can take comfort in the fact that he's evidently not the only crazy person running around with dynamite... and to be fair, that that stuff was just lying around anyway is a fair cause for concern.

Speaking of causes for concern... Selenic didn't even really find my main one in this area. I don't blame you, the guide doesn't mention it- it's good(?) for achievements and photo ops once you parse the language, but it's not so good for points of interest- but if you root around the the green area in the abandoned factory in search of batteries or something, you find... well, this.

(I know, I know- Youtuber Let's Player, boo, hiss, but but in order to screenshot I would have had to play through the entire Bergmann tunnel sequence again, and the boat ride, and- just no. At least this guy seems chill enough. And doesn't speak English.)

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Is it me or does Markku sound like Strongbad?

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Someone in the OSHA thread posted about this game awhile back, thanks for the playthrough! Can't wait to see the CSB video featuring slick animation and a smooth-voiced narrator describing everything that went wrong at Stalburg.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm pretty certain those large switch-boxes you asked about are related to controlling various bits of heating, lighting and power going to different parts of the facility.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Would it be possible to walk back from the current chapter you are on, photograph the page you missed then walk back?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tombot posted:

Would it be possible to walk back from the current chapter you are on, photograph the page you missed then walk back?
:v:
Now, that's an idea. I don't think anything collapsed behind me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Speaking of causes for concern... Selenic didn't even really find my main one in this area. I don't blame you, the guide doesn't mention it- it's good(?) for achievements and photo ops once you parse the language, but it's not so good for points of interest- but if you root around the the green area in the abandoned factory in search of batteries or something, you find... well, this.

(I know, I know- Youtuber Let's Player, boo, hiss, but but in order to screenshot I would have had to play through the entire Bergmann tunnel sequence again, and the boat ride, and- just no. At least this guy seems chill enough. And doesn't speak English.)

Even better is that this graffiti is related to an ongoing side-story that is never explicitly commented on. I cannot say anymore because spoilers, though I think we saw this figure in the tunnel shortcut (keep an ear out for that sound effect). IIRC if you never look for side content, this figure comes up exactly once on the game's main path.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today in the news:

Some government worker who worked for a local sewer service was sacked for committing fraud. When he heard, he went to gently caress up the sewer service's computer systems and started a bunch of pumps while the outlets were closed. He nearly caused a rather lovely disaster and got a quite long community service sentence for all that.

It immediately reminded me of this LP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zeniel posted:

Is it me or does Markku sound like Strongbad?

More like Senor Cardgage if you ask me.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So, how come the knife switch in the generator room didn't count as a hazard?

edit:
also, to answer your question at 28:55 those look like they're just generic electrical control panels. Nothing special, found wherever machinery in need of electricity and controlling reside.

The newspaper you find right after was referencing the crash of American Airlines Flight 191. Quite a horrific incident.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

9/ I still have nine packs of batteries left.