Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also gently caress cars, ride a bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
shaggar's ideological awareness is garbage

has anyone ever said...

shaggarbage?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
rubbishaggar

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

iospace posted:

Also gently caress cars, ride a bike

not possible, do not want to ride a bike 1.5+ hours both ways to work in the morning, by 30 minute drive is enough and i do not have to worry about rain and fectal matter in the streets.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

for prescription drugs it would be pretty huge but the current medicare part d prevents it from happening. a fun fact is part d was written largely by pharmacy companies which should not be a surprise to anyone, but what is kind of fun is one of the major pharmacy backers ended up not being able to compete with other pharmacies for the contracts.

i would hope that any eventual "m4a" system would also expand the scope of coverage and subsidy provided

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

dentist charged the insurance co $116 for a topical anesthetic
charged me $16

even $16 is ridiculous

for-profit healthcare is loving inexcusable

death to boomers

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1037249325464600578?s=21

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

up the ante, felon

go on while on dmt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i would hope that any eventual "m4a" system would also expand the scope of coverage and subsidy provided

the problem with medicare for all is that it without any significant overhaul it would just be even more waste and even more unsustainable. we need to fix the cost problems first, then we can start discussing who pays for it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/Daniel49930393/status/1037249701966315520?s=19

why is elon getting letters from little boys

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

the problem with medicare for all is that it without any significant overhaul it would just be even more waste and even more unsustainable. we need to fix the cost problems first, then we can start discussing who pays for it.

i'm not sure that medicare is as bloated as you say it is, and one of the most basic principles of any universal health care system is that they inherently bring costs down by reducing the power of medical companies and service providers to set whatever insane prices they want. getting most of the populace out of the fragmented private insurance system and consolidated into one government scheme would achieve pretty significant cost reductions on its own

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Shaggar posted:

Tylenol is otc so it wouldn't be part of medicare part d. if you're talking about the cost of administering drugs in an emergency setting then yes that's one of those procedural costs that medicare needs to start pushing back on.

a good place to start w/ costs in general would be to not allow providers to bill patients at all and only accept what insurance or cms will give them. That would get them off fee for service pretty quick

the best place to start is a guillotine for everyone in the insurance industry

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Shaggar posted:

dunno what your commitments are to, but you gotta remember that most arguments of the form "before we do X we have to do Y" in effect are just arguments in favor of never doing X

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

also getting people off private insurance is a good thing in and of itself, profit motives have no business being anywhere near healthcare (or anywhere (but especially there))

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

also getting people off private insurance is a good thing in and of itself, profit motives have no business being anywhere near healthcare (or anywhere (but especially there))

but without a profit motive, peon #237 won’t feel motivated to do work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i'm not sure that medicare is as bloated as you say it is, and one of the most basic principles of any universal health care system is that they inherently bring costs down by reducing the power of medical companies and service providers to set whatever insane prices they want. getting most of the populace out of the fragmented private insurance system and consolidated into one government scheme would achieve pretty significant cost reductions on its own

yeah that's a fine theory but in practice its not really there. the us government has a history of poor purchasing practices and medicare is not much different. they don't really bother to deny claims anymore. An influx of new patients is going to overwhelm them and they'll just continue to pay whatever.

Switching to a capitated payment system should be a first step before adopting any kind of national healthcare plan. It prioritizes quality of care since providers are paid a flat fee with bonuses and penalties based on population health.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Marijuana posted:

the best place to start is a guillotine for everyone in the insurance industry

its amazing that there are people out there who still think insurance is the problem. lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

because he's a hero and inspiration to millions, just like elizabeth holmes. don't you read the news?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shaggar posted:

its amazing that there are people out there who still think insurance is the problem. lol.

both are the problem

collective government bargaining with pharma and medical companies would yield things like "you're going to sell your poo poo at a reasonable price or you wont be selling your poo poo at all" like how almost every country in europe does it but conservatives are like WAHHHH THEY'LL RUN OFF TO INDIA QQ and not really think about the fact that if they are willing to run off to india to make a profit they dont give a flying gently caress about their workers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

nope. without a profit motive theres no way you're going to get people to do work. the myth of the virtuous worker who works for the people is the most hilarious garbage ever.

lmao this one's my personal favorite best most incorrect shaggar post of all and shows that you know literally nothing about nasa's workers or corporate culture

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Shaggar posted:

guillotine for your boss, gulag for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

the primary profiteers in healthcare are providers and people need to stop perpetuating the myth that insurance drives up those costs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gosh those nasa people just don't want to work, they must just go into work and do nothing all day, after all that's what I'd personally do if i had a government job!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

whole lotta shaggering going on in here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

lmao this one's my personal favorite best most incorrect shaggar post of all and shows that you know literally nothing about nasa's workers or corporate culture

lol @ being so loving blind to reality that you think people in your magical post-scarcity society would ever willingly work when their needs are already met. given the choice to gently caress off and do nothing over being a janitor absolutely nobody is going to choose to be a janitor.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

gosh those nasa people just don't want to work, they must just go into work and do nothing all day, after all that's what I'd personally do if i had a government job!

they work because they get paid to work. if you paid them regardless of what work they did, they would not do any work.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i dont really mind working because it's nice to be busy, but working would be much more enjoyable if my life and my family's life werent dependent on me needing to work in order to survive

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Shaggar posted:

they work because they get paid to work. if you paid them regardless of what work they did, they would not do any work.

who's paying you to post

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the primary profiteers in healthcare are providers and people need to stop perpetuating the myth that insurance drives up those costs.

by god you're right! we're gonna have to nationalize hospitals too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shaggar posted:

incorrect. CMS funding is at all time highs. They're a poorly managed organization and the only thing they're really effective at is ensuring providers are overpaid.

Regulatory capture?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

that's not what that post is saying

profit motives in insurance are insidious because they lead to all sorts of fraudulent practices around claim processing and patients also often end up poor quality care because they're forced into going to only those providers in their area that take their insurance (these relationships are especially toxic as they often lead to local monopolies)

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Shaggar posted:

work sucks and should be eliminated, you idiot

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

when people talk about profit motives in things they aren't talking about individual workers, hth

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

smdh that people still earnestly get shaggared again and again.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Marijuana posted:

work sucks and should be eliminated, you idiot

also what this guy syas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonah Galtberg posted:

that's not what that post is saying

profit motives in insurance are insidious because they lead to all sorts of fraudulent practices around claim processing and patients also often end up poor quality care because they're forced into going to only those providers in their area that take their insurance (these relationships are especially toxic as they often lead to local monopolies)

and incentivizing not paying a claim is just fundamentally bad.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

things the us needs to nationalize asap in no particular order:

-medical/health
-utilities
-cable/internet/telcom
-natural resources
-education
-public transportation/infrastructure

i've gotta be missing some stuff

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
This:

Shaggar posted:

a good place to start w/ costs in general would be to not allow providers to bill patients at all and only accept what insurance or cms will give them. That would get them off fee for service pretty quick
and this:

iospace posted:

Death to capitalism

Are both good solutions.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

smdh that people still earnestly get shaggared again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
regulatory capture has to be the most bullshit excuse for government ineffectiveness. "If it weren't for this pesky democracy the government would be free to regulate the Right Way™"